Spartan-II Quest: Coryner

"THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!" A woman clad in a lab coat bursts through the door into the command center.

"Who let this woman in?" A man in a markedly bare black admirals uniform asks while pouring over the imaging relayed from the SkyHawk Dagger 1-4. The SkyHawk speeds through the planet-spanning canyon on the world Coryner. The aircraft moves with an impressively efficient speed and course. Weaving effortlessly through the pillars and caves while staying as low as humanly possible to avoid detection.

"WHO AUTHORIZED THIS?!" The woman directly challenges the admiral and the entirety of the staff in the command center stare dumbfounded. Here was an admiral of the most elusive and highest organization in the UNSC, The Office of Naval Intelligence, or ONI for short. Yet this comparatively small woman had the audacity to stare him down. While the admiral remains passive.

"May I remind you Dr that it is ONI who authorized this entire endeavor. From your test subjects to the man and women who stand in this room. You will do well to know who exactly keeps the wheels rolling." The admiral cooly responds without looking from his display.

"That is beyond the point! They are not assassins they are soldiers!"

"They are whatever we need them to be. That is the point of a super-soldier."

"The point IS, my dear admiral is that they are not ready to be deployed on solo operations! I have made this expressively clear on multiple occasions! Why in god's name has this been authorized!??"

"Because, Dr. Halsey..." The admiral finally deems her worthy to look at. "The program started with Seventy-Five participants. We have only Thirty-Three remaining. If they are as good as you claim then this should be nothing. Scalpels remember?"

"They are meant to be surgical strike TEAMS. Emphasis on teams but I'd doubt ONI would know anything of cooperation! You are needlessly putting their lives at risk! And I don't even need to remind you why we only had Seventy-Five participants."
(1/?)

"They are meant to be surgical strike TEAMS. Emphasis on teams but I'd doubt ONI would know anything of cooperation! You are needlessly putting their lives at risk!"

"What I'm doing is due to the necessity of the situation. You know about Harvest, you know what is coming; what is already here."

"Which is precisely why they should be working in teams!"

"Enough!" The admiral's composure finally cracks for the barest of moments and it feels like a bolt of thunder struck. The hum and cries of the various high-grade military instruments drowned out by his rage, and then just like that the symphony of whirring machines returns.

"If he dies I will have you disgraced, court-marshalled, and summarily executed." The Doctor grimly warns before turning away.

"Ensign Richards!" The admiral calls out when the doors to the command center hiss shut.

"Yes, sir!" A woman rises and salutes

"Get me a line to the Spartan. Encrypt it twice the regulated amount. I have his orders ready."

"Sir!"

The admiral's eyes return to the display and the image of the SkyHawk racing through the canyon is replaced by that of a man clad in a skin-tight black bodysuit, head covered by a helmet of the same color.

"Damien-032. Reporting, Sir." A deep and powerful voice emanates from the helmet. Unbeknownst to all in that center but one person whose eyes were trained and changed to notice the small differences, the admiral's lips slightly twitched towards a smile. This was the future of humanity, of its survival. The Spartans.

"Spartan-032 your mission is to infiltrate the complex located in the heart of Loman's Canyon. Once inside you are to plant the C-12 charges in strategic locations to ensure maximum destruction of the facility. Insurrectionist have been traced to it. We are unsure if it is merely a safe house or a command center. Neither matters. All that matters is that you take it down. Am I clear?"
>Yes, Sir!
>Am I to take prisoners?
>Will I have support?
>Secondary objectives?
>Write-In

>Yes Sir.
>Secondary objectives?

No need to be stupidly enthusiastic.

alright alright alright

Second

>>Yes, Sir!
>>Am I to take prisoners?
>>Will I have support?
>>Secondary objectives?
>>Write-In

>Called It Coryner
>Didn't call it Coryner's Report

Man that was the coolest name I suggested too

>Secondary objectives?
And this.

>Write-In
"Do we have their numbers?"

>Write-In
Any technology to watch out for? Like what do insurrectionists typically carry, anything we wouldn't already know about?

Seconding.

Writing

Be weird to call it a report when its happening live action right now right here

B-but the pun!

"Yes, Sir." You give a simple salute from your position in the modified Sky Hawk. The harness latched onto barely restricting your motions. You feel a small sense of nervousness tempered by excitement. This is your first OP but you bury your emotions under discipline and training. You were chosen for this because...

>You weren't actually chosen. You volunteered.
>They haven't told you yet and you haven't asked.
>You never did get along with your "fireteam". You preferred to do things solo. Someone approved.
>Write-In

"Sir?"

"Yes, 032?"

"Are there any secondary objectives?" The admiral's projection turns for a moment then looks back at you.

"If you can confirm the purpose fo this facility to be one of their command houses than we need you to get as much of their stored data as possible."

"Prisoners?"

"Only if they have strategic value. One man went in. One man was supposed to come out."

"Do we have any idea on their numbers."

"The complex is estimated to house nearly 300 hundred insurrectionists. The bulk of which is speculated to live in the underground sections."

"What about their technology? What can I expect from them?"
"Reports say they have common civilian small-arms. The vast majority of which should not penetrate your suit unless you take an inordinate amount of fire. Don't. There also have been reports of a military shipment coming up short. Assault Rifles, DMRs, and a single current from a warthog. We have every reason to suspect the insurrectionists to be the cause. Be careful 032."

You hear a brief burst of static and Dagger 1-4's pilot speaks.

"Approaching the drop zone. Structure imaging coming up... Now."

The image of a dust-laden and ravaged complex fills the HUD of your helmet. The surface of the structure seems to be composed of two buildings with a walkway connecting the two. Above the left building is a tram line where indiscernible goods are unloaded and the tram retreats into a cavern.
(1/2)

On the right building is where a set of two elevators rise and fall periodically. You do however note that the sequence of the elevators seems to be steadily slowing down. Cargo trucks, rigs, and flatbeds pull into a parking lot where their engines die down and men and women speak to each other before entering a building. You spot a single civilian helicopter on the top of the building.

"I leave the formulation of a plan to your judgement Spartan. Should you require aid contact us through your helmet only. Loud or quiet. The choice is yours. Do not fail." The admiral's visage fades away and the harness holding you releases. You stand up in the small cramped space of the modified Sky-Hawk. At one end of the aircraft lies a weapons locker filled with gear.

What do you take? Choose 3. Dual wielding counts as two
>MA2B Assualt Rifle (Medium - Short Range, Silencer,)
>M392 Designated Marksman Rifle (long-Medium range, Silencer, Variable Scope)
>M6I Handgun Handgun (Silencer, select-fire)
>SRS 99 Anti-Matériel (long Range)
> XBR55 Prototype Battle Rifle (Medium to Long Range, Silencer, Scope)
>M7/Caseless Submachine Gun (Short Range, Silencer)
>M90 Shotgun (Short Range)

"Sir." The pilot's voice cuts in again. "Where do you want to go? I can take you to the predetermined spot about 500 meters away from the complex or if you want-" You hear a slight change in his voice. Is that excitement? "I can get us a little closer. They might spot us or not. The fun's in trying not knowing. "

>"Get us as close as possible."
>"Stick to the plan Dagger 1-4."
>Write-In

Sorry for the long ass time. Had to triple check the weapons

>>M392 Designated Marksman Rifle (long-Medium range, Silencer, Variable Scope)
>SRS 99 Anti-Matériel (long Range)

Any grenades, or explosives?

>You never did get along with your "fireteam". You preferred to do things solo. Someone approved.
>Write-In
They were holding us back by being far too "by the book."

>M6I Handgun Handgun (Silencer, select-fire)
>XBR55 Prototype Battle Rifle (Medium to Long Range, Silencer, Scope)

Let's go quiet with preparations for going loud. The place will get C-12'd eventually, so we need to be ready for the chaos that makes.

>You preferred to do things solo. Someone approved.

Woops forgot to pick an option.
>You weren't actually chosen. You volunteered.
To kill the Rebel scum.

These 2 are mine just to clarify.

>>They haven't told you yet and you haven't asked
And I second this

>Any grenades, or explosives
>Spend nearly an hour thinking about guns
>Completly forget the grenades
Kill me

>M9 High-Explosive Dual-Purpose grenade
>Flashbang grenade
>Napalm grenade

Choose two. You'll have three of each

>Napalm grenade
No Russian.

>Napalm grenade
>Flashbang grenade

Napalm is good shit for making chokepoints and sealing off pursuit routes, if things get hairy.

>>M9 High-Explosive Dual-Purpose grenade
>>Flashbang grenade

Was hopeing for some backpack explosives to take out the communication tower but whatever, we'll jack the warthog and drive it into the tower or something.

>MA2B Assualt Rifle (Medium - Short Range, Silencer,)

>Napalm grenade

Napalm

Wait can we do this? Pick three of the same type, since if we can have three of the same type that means we have six grenade slots.

I'll vote for six napalm.

>since if we can have three of the same type that means we have six grenade slots.
Meant to say "three of two types" that means we can carry six grenades total.

I thought about that too, but I think this is going off the game mechanic. If that were the case, I'd vote for 6 M9 HEDP grenades.

OPERATION NAPALM SIX

COMMANDAH

If we can, then why not just 2 of each?

The three of one grenade was an arbitrary ass number I came up with and justified with the suit youre wearing not having the room to store a bunch of ammo and nades yeah you can go balls deep and grab six of a single made if you want.

In that case,

Seconding. user has found the best option possible.

This.

I'd rather have M9s
1 Napalm
2 flashbangs.

OPERATION "ALL IN"

COMMANDAH

OR THIS

>DMR
>SMG
>Shotgun
>Lone wolf
>2 of each nado
>Stick 2 da plan fag

Ight writ Ratting

excellent

SEXellent

So anons, our name is Damien-032 and we're a lone wolf.

How much of a lone wolf are we, exactly?

the hyper lethal variety?

>They haven't told you yet and you haven't asked.
I'll let the others pick weapons.

The tacticool fuck bitches and take names which we stomp on kind. None of that pussy shit.

You remember Reach? And ODST? And most missions of every Halo?

Good. Just wanted to make sure we were the RIGHT kind of lone wolf.

What's the wrong kind?

Well, yeah.
We are a experimental super soldier not a edgy kid.

You quickly begin arming yourself.

"Stick to the plan Dagger 1-4."

Yes, Sir." The pilot sighs and you feel the Skyhawk slow down considerably.

You grab an M7 Submachine Gun and hold it to your waist. The gun snaps to it the magnetics of your suit proving functional. The M7 is short range and unleashes a volley of fire that can reach 900 rounds per minute, features a retractable state, 60 rounds, and an effective range up to 50 meters. If you get into any close quarters situations this should thin out the numbers easily.

Next is the M392 Designated Marksman Rifle. A weapon favored by sharpshooters. This variant features a silencer and a variable scope. The combination of the two can effectively turn it into a sniper rifle while still being useful in medium range situations. You hold it to your back and it snaps into place.

Hanging on a rack above the locker is an M90 Shotgun. Brutal, loud, and powerful. The M90 absolutely devastates targets in close range. A max of 12 shells, effective range between 40-100 meters. This monster will devastate single targets no matter the armor. You hold this to the small of your back and it snaps into place ready at a moments notice.

Finally, you reach below your seat and pull out a grenade box. Inside lies Napalm, Flashbangs, and the lovely M9. You're suit only has the room for a couple so you grab two of each to be prepared for any sitiuation. The cramped space turns from a dark red to a bright green, signaling that you've arrived.

"This is Dager 1-4 to all elements."

"This is Admiral Johan. We read you loud and clear."

"This is Spartan-032." You decide to go in with the DMR and detach it from your back. You double check the weapon and remove the safety. "At the ready."

"Begin Operation Lightning Strike." Johan orders and the ramp opens. You're assaulted by the winds of the environment and your HUD takes a second to calculate your route. "DEPLOY!." The admiral yells and you leap.

(1/2)

>implying

You drop for exactly five seconds, wind battering your suit once more before you tuck into a roll and take a knee. You scan the horizon through the DMR's scope as Dagger 1-4 pulls off to await Evac. The canyon you're in is clear beyond the desiccated remains of trucks and structures. You advance forward running into a sprint. You echo the movements of your many days in the war games. A brief flashback plays of you leaving your team beyond to scout. Raynor yelling at you to maintain rank and chain of command. You stumble.

You've been told the flashbacks are going to ease eventually but the suddenness of it almost throws you off guard and you blink to see yourself barreling towards a rock. You jump and easily clear it running forward. The distance to your objective rapidly shortens

You have yet to even break a sweat when you hear a loud beep and slide behind the cover of a large boulder and set up. You're motion tracker picked up the movement of several organisms. Your tracker was configured to slowly locate other humans so it could be only one thing. The insurrectionists.

You count to three before you pop up and scan your surroundings. Through the scope of your rifle, you see a patrol of Five Insurrectionist leisurely walking through the canyons. Through your scope, you see that they carry civilian grade automatic weapons. One of them, however, has in their hands an MA2B Assualt Rifle. Seems the intel was correct.

You spot a series of outcropping leading towards a higher level of the canyon. You could scale it for a superior firing angle or to bypass them entirely. You could also try to engage them in close quarters with the intent to capture one. There's also the option of beginning your assault from here should you choose to.

>Attack from here
>Scale the landscape and fire
>Scale the landscape and bypass them
>Write-In

>>Scale the landscape and bypass them

We can kill everyone later.

These fuckbags aren't the mission and aren't the objective.

As we scale the landscape lets pause at the top to get a good look and read on guards in the sides/high up the canyon.

They may be rebels but if our intel is correct and they're smart they might have counter-snipers stationed in high positions.

Metal Gear Halo

>"Spartan? Spartan!? SPARTAAAAAN!"

>Scale the landscape and bypass them.

Try to sneak around them. We don't want to be giving ourselves away this early.

>You get inpacitated
>Halsey jacks into the comms
>Damien Damien?! DAMIIIIEEENNNNN!.

>I'm a huge pussy

Writing

This doesn't really need a roll as they're not on alert and I don't usually like needlessly making people's lives hard

Aww, but I like rolling.
To be honest they're a human fringe faction and obviously have subpar tech, they're probably not equipped to deal with someone like us at all.

Yeah we've got nothing to fear from these guys.

The numbers won't help them either.

Which ofc means there's gonna be a twist just when we near mission complete.

They are pretty helpless, just humans with guns and no powersuits or super soldiers.
What could possibly go wrong?

Even if we kill them, the base would still go into lockdown when they don't respond on their radios or show up at the next guard rotation.

There's no reason to be fighting yet.

>"Damien, you have to stop repeating your orders."
>"Repeating my orders?"

Can we seriously go metal gear halo?

Says the guy who made it an option in the first place. Pussy.

To be fair it's not like we need to take the basic options.

We could have wasted mission time by stalking them one by one and killing as many as we can from stealth.
Would probably still alert the base eventually, tho.

>Psycho Prophet
>Brute Fox

It must happen.

But we need one too.

A confrontation here would be pointless and a waste of ammo. You holster your weapon before looking for a suitable place to scale. You spot a group of boulder's leading towards a small cliff and you take a sprinter's stance.

You watch the motion tracker on you HUD closely. The small red dots meander around each other for a moment longer. You patiently wait, breath steady, HUD compass pointing north towards the complex, smart link showing the ammo for each of your weapons at full.

The dots begin to move.

You dash forward crouched low. Your suit is designed for several things. Infiltration, Extra Vehicular Activity, Life-support in harmful environments, and scouting. The suit is designed to produce as little noise as possible at the expense of protection. This, in turn, makes the suit lighter but the EVA design also restricts your movements to a degree. You requested a suit best suited for stealth Ops and this is the best they can give you.

You feel resistance from the suit as you sprint towards the rock but quickly accommodate for it as you leap upon the first one. You then jump and grab a hold of the ledge. The cliff isn't large enough for you to walk upon so you have to shimmy across to a spot wide enough to hold your size.

The augmentations vastly improved your height and weight.While making you physically stronger it also restricted you to certain methods while opening others. Before you could have maybe climbed and walked across with your back against the wall. Now? You can feel you fingers brushing against the rocky wall.

You finally reach a wide enough spot and pull yourself up before using your rifle to scan the area again. The five insurrectionist are currently making their rounds around this section of the canyon. You see one of them speak into a comm device before continuing along. You quickly begin to push forward using your new height level to view beyond the massive pillars of rock.

>Ah fug it roll me a 1d20+3

Rolled 13 + 3 (1d20 + 3)

What? Too much of a baby for stealth kills and hiding bodies in lockers?

Now we're talkin!

and by "a" I mean best of tree. Fucking 2K limt

Oh boy.

Rolled 10 + 3 (1d20 + 3)

Fuck me my dice shit themselves.

Rolled 13 (1d20)

Wondering how your thinking process works.

Rolled 18 + 3 (1d20 + 3)

Well we already have Solid Damien. Maybe there is a Raiden out there for us.

Hope 16 is good enuph.

>16

Good job

aw, hell, I thought we weren't going to roll for stuff.

also, I might have skipped it, but what armor are we wearing? Mk. V or VI or IV?

Forgot the +3 modifier so idk if mine counted.

Rolling > Not Rolling. FACT.

See

You aren't wearing the ture power armour yet. Just a very good body suit/armor

how's that thing hold up compared to ODST armor?

So we should avoid getting shot.

Gotcha.

That was always my plan anyways! Can't trick me, Mal.

Being a product of ONI it BTFO's of any potential insurrectionist gear. You'd have to get shot at by at least 5 weapons for them to do some damage.

Military gear and high calibre rounds will fuck your shit tho

ODST armour has more protection but less utility and slightly better mobility

"This is 032. I have eyes on the complex."

"Good work. Spartan. Any complications?"

"None, Sir." You mentally command the variable zoom to engage and the cybernetics within your suit respond aptly. Your zoom is increased by double and you start to scout.

"Good. Maintain the bare minimum of radio chatter."

"Understood."

The helicopter on the roof is still there. The tram is pulling out and heading towards a cave system on the same elevation as you. If you wanted to you could probably reach it before the next delivery. In the parking lot below you see patrols of insurrectionists milling about with flashlights. Some of them hold assault rifles and the heavily armoured one hold DMRs. Thankfully the vast majority of them still carry small arms.

The activity in the elevators has all but slowed to a crawl. You could probably find a way inside if you could reach the roof, as the window glass looks incredibly fragile. A well-directed hit could bring you right into the shaft. You also note a cave system leading halfway down towards the complex. If you can find the source you could get lower without risking yourself while climbing down. You could also just take the chance hoping no one will spot you and descend.

You slowly bring your sights back up and when you do you notice a small glint of light and roll away. Your HUD tells you it's almost dusk and luckily the sun has yet to fully set. The illumination from the mass Coryner orbits provided just enough to highlight the scope of a sniper for you. You already committed their location to your mind. They're beyond the complex on another rock overlooking the complex.

>You need to take them out if you want to advance safely.
>Don't take the chance try manoeuvre somewhere. (Opens another vote to where you go.)

Snipers aren't expected to check in on the same regular timeframe as patrols do. Let's take that guy out and then use the cave system for DEEP INFILTRATION.

Fucking snipers' job is to look for outlying movement.

Give him a ferrous last supper.

>>You need to take them out if you want to advance safely.

Kinda torn between just taking the semi low risk method and taking out a guy who might become a problem later on.

Snipers rarely check in....

[INSERT MC CODENAME MOTIF THAT HINTS AT HOW HE FIGHTS]

COUNTER-SNIPER

ENGAGE

>Run into tram tunnels
>Risk getting hit by subway train

Maybe we can hide under one.

>try to hide under tram
>whoops, we're too huge
>armor skidding on tracks
>rebels wondering what that smell is

More of
>Run into tram tunnels
>Hitch a ride onto the supply depot
>Wing it from there

Looks like Counter Sniping is the option

Luckily for you you're a 16 year old machine of murder
And you have a Variable Zoom!

Gibe me 1d20+4 best of tree

Rolled 1 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

This is a trick.

They'd be screening incoming supplies if they're even half-competent. You won't get me, Mal!

Lmao