MtG Conspiracy 2 thread

MtG Conspiracy 2 thread

Who's ready for the draft tonight? Anything special you want to play?

Man that looks interesting and fun, too bad you can't have that outside of Conspiracy.

>he doesn't cube

I'd love to play a constructed format where you get a conspiracy for your deck, but I think everyone would use this one.

Nah, constructed gets away with the greediest rainbow landbases.
Constructed also has a lot of draw control so curving perfectly isn't worth two cards.

Never dead drawing a top deck is a nice touch, but by the time that matters you'll already be way behind.
Hymn of the Wilds tho, they don't call it Creatures: the Tappening for nothing

But Realm means you don't have to have lands at all, which improves deck consistency to the extreme.

It also means you have to ditch cards to get mana, which would really blow in almost every constructed deck imaginable.

Reducing your max hand size to 5, including the mulligans required for competitive play, INCLUDING throwing away cards to get lands is the worst decision possible unless you have some kind of amazing exile play. Which nothing does to recur your own things from exile.

You do realize that playing a land is the same thing as throwing a card away to get one, right?

You are also throwing away strategy when you pitch cards into exile for no fucking reason other than to play a mana.

On top of starting with 5 cards.

What happens when you need to mull a few times to get a good hand? You're left with 3 fucking cards in hand and have to pitch them all to get lands.

This is beyond terrible for competitive play

this, desu. In no way would any serious player think this is a good card for anything but draft

You're also throwing away strategy by running lands in your deck instead of your cool spells.

and you're also starting with 3-5 cards in hand.

Do you not see how absolutely awful that is?
>why yes, I would like to mull to 5 at the beginning of the game with no scry trigger
>of course I don't want a decent, full hand. Thank you for asking
>I will definitely pitch every single gas or answer I have to play a land a turn

Fetches are a way of thinning your deck into drawing what you actually need. Just because you shove (insert color here) goodstuff into your deck doesn't make your gameplan any better.

Can you imagine playing any aggro deck with 4 cards in hand at the very beginning? Can you imagine having to start at 5 cards as control?

Of course not, because you don't play competitive

>What happens when you need to mull a few times to get a good hand?
A fair number of mulligans are done because your starting hand either has too much or too little lands. With Sovereign's Realm, you never have to make those mulls because you always have the enough lands.

I would totally start at 5 in an aggro deck if I could always guarantee starting with 2 lands and always drawing action.

Imagine drafting both Conspiracy sets together and hitting enough bullshit luck to get this with Exploration.
>I exile this card from my hand to play two basics

Play it in an additional lands deck, like said.

My LGS isn't having an event until Sunday, I really wanna play with Arcane Savant to cast off color shit, both of the planeswalkers seem fun too or new Grenzo.

I'm going to draft it tomorrow with friends at the LGS. The owner didn't even want to order the set before I convinced him so I hope it will be worth it.
At worst I hope to get a lo of "draft matters" cards for my cube and monarch looks like an interesting mechanic for multiplayer.

Exactly.

Like damn. I'd play a burn/draw deck with this. Put down like two lands max, burn em out and generate card value through blue spells. Ez.

You can combo this with fastbond or anything else that allows you to play extra lands on a turn.

You're really fucking bad at Magic (and logic)

Throwing away cards is something you already have to do with normal lands, only now you can use ANY card instead of only pre-defined, otherwise useless cards

??/10, how much of a pleb am I for wanting to just buy a box and crack at home with a cup of coffee? Not in the mood to draft tonight. Really loving the look of this set though.

That's gas or answers you wouldn't fucking have if not for Realms allowing you to ditch lands wholesale.

If you don't realize why being able to play every color and use narrow sideboard cards mainboard because they can function as lands, you're horrible at Magic

It makes me want a Conspiracy that just turns your side of the game into Duel Masters

>constructed gets away with the greediest rainbow bases
>he's actually retarded enough to think this is true
No deck can play Obliterator, Cryptic, Knight of the Reliquary, any nonbasic that doesn't make colored management and even goofy hilarious shit like Back to Basics and Price of Progress.

There's a reason there's five flavors of Delver. Imagine RUG Delver with Confidant and Price. Who the fuck needs the +2 when your entire deck is disturbingly powerful, and can pitch off-tempo plays to fuel the actual tempo plays

-2 is a major disadvantage but the leeway in deckbuilding is enormous, and the consistency is disturbingly strong

Fuck off you dumb /b/ nigger

No.

>wasting a box of a draft-centric set on not drafting it
Just get EMA.

hoping to pull a bunch of monarch matters cards. I'd absolutely squeal if i pulled a show and tell.

How does drafting work? Once the 8 man pod splits up, do you just play 1 game?

Once you split up, you typically play 3 rounds. The 3-0 "wins" the draft and gets the most prizes, then 2-1 finishes generally get a prize too.

It's Conspiracy.

The hand size is bad but there's nothing wrong with the exile mechanic

Fill your deck with 0 cost artifact creatures and 1 cost cantrips/trinkets.

Then if you only ever exile cantrips and 0 costs for lands you've got your normal deck with added utility cards. If it didn't affect the starting hand this card would be everywhere in constructed (were it legal)

>buying a draft-centric set and just open it
>not waiting for Kaladesh

can anyone tell me what the actual point of this deck is? It's not standard legal, so you play it for this event then it's done, right? It feels like more of a waste of money than most of mtg already is.

I could be wrong on that, anyone care to educate me?

Its also commander, cube, eternal formats and some reprints that are also in modern.
Also draft is one of the best ways to play magic, and this looks like a fun draft environment.

Normal deck:
>36 spells
>24 lands
Sovereign Realm deck:
>59 Spells
>Socereign realm
Seems fine.

>deck

Conspiracies aren't included in the 60.

>at the beginning of the game, exile the top 5(or more depending on balance) cards of your deck face-down
>whenever a source would deal damage to you or cause you to lose life, instead put a card exiled with CARDNAME into your hand, if you can't, you lose the game
>whenever you gain 4 or more life, exile the top card of your library face down
Like this?

That just turns thermo alchemist and burn into a T4 standard kill and probably a T2 modern kill.
>Burn for 1
>Burn for 1
>Burn for 1
>Burn for 1
>I win

You start with 5 cards because you will never topdeck dead lands, your deck is nothing but gas

>all this talk about prizes this, rare picking that, LGSes being dicks yonder
makes me so happy to have a pretty big playgroup outside of any LGSs with whom we can just have a private phantom draft with no strangers, assholes, paying money, nabbing prizes, et cetera. we meet once a week in a student run cafe in university and just play games of EDH, modern, pauper, casual, amongst ourselves and can plan upcoming drafts or other special occasions easily in our Facebook group. now next week I'll be sponsoring a box of CN2 for everyone to enjoy drafting and playing and for me to keep the cards. everyone's happy.

Why is there no dedicated limited threads on Veeky Forums?

Not enough intrest or just oversaturation of mtg threads?

Because limited it exciting with a new set for a month than its boring.

There used to be a cube general though, what happened to it?

I can relate user. Maybe get two. Or draft with friends?

>20 wubrg lands turn 1

Adjust it to; whenever a creature deals combat damage to you put a card exiled by /cardname/ into your hand, if you can't lose the game.

need to be able to exile a card from your hand to play a basic land from outside the game that generates the same color

>inb4 cube

6/10
I understand though. I ordered a box of return to ravnica because I can't wait for Kaladesh. The shame.

I can't seem to find any articles that go over the strengths of each individual card as in best commons etc, is it because its not a major release?

It's a casual set designed for multiplayer, so ratings will be much messier than normal.

Hymn is way, way, way worse than Sovereign's Realm
It's not even close

There was a Hymn player at my table. The card is fucking insane. Certainly not as busted as Realm, but it was very strong.

Question for those who have digested the contents:

I'm getting back into Magic with my brother after over a decade of absence but just at the kitchen table level. Not going to tournaments, etc. I was thinking of getting this set to draft with him. But I dunno if drafting for 2 players will be worth it. Would it?$

No. Go and make some Magic friends to draft with.

2 man pods make for awful drafting.
You know exactly what everyone has, and there aren't enough cards for you to pick colors.

4 man pods are a bare minimum, and even then I wouldn't stray below 6 if I could.

>can't have that outside conspiracy
Just play casual with all cards allowed

I'm wheelchair bound. Both cardshops that I know in the area aren't very comfortable for me space wise (and one has no easy access for my wheelchair anyway, three stairs at the entrance). I play tabletop games at home because of this, hence my question.

>Pull Wild Pair and 2 Juniper Order Rangers

I laughed so fucking hard.

The usual is the pod splits into 2 4-player pods. The first 2 players eliminated from each pod then form a Losers Pod.
The last 2 remaining finish their games, then form a Winners Pod.
The winner of the Winners Pod gets the title Draft Champion.

got these out of the 3 packs i drafted from and the 1 extra i got

>birds of paradise
>juniper order rangers
>kami of the crescent moon
>queen marchesa
>adriana

and then mostly trash commons. i thought i did ok, but then my friend got leovold and recruiter of the guard from the first 2 packs he opened

Drafted with some kids tonight. Pack 1 Pick 1 was the 1WW mythic dude that turns off spells

What actually won me the game was the Green conspiracy, and Dragonlair Spider. The spider was simply unstoppable, especially when the sanctum prelate or whatever hits 3 and turns off all the good removal.

Fun as fuck to be honest.

Bring on the brags.

Drafted W/B in an 8 man pod that split into two games. Was immediately left of another W/B who was making some very strange decisions for how good my removal was. Didn't have to play him since he went into the other 4 man game and managed to win on the shoulders of Hundred Handed One and years of politicking experience from EDH.

I won with Hundred Handed. Just noticed I phrased that very poorly.

All the way this.

How can you say no to this?

Guys, help me out, I don't get multiplayer.

How are you supposed to have fun doing this? In 1v1, you just play optimally to maximize your likelihood of winning, but in a four person free for all, going to the effort of knocking out the weakest player leaves you open to retribution. So let's say you play it safe and send out jab attacks, keeping blockers up to save your ass. Should you avoid knocking out the player who is clearly struggling? Should you spread the damage out while amassing your own board state to win through attrition?

I just don't really get how to have fun.

For the record, I crushed my entire table tonight, but it was mostly because they were bad and not attacking the way they should have been.

We only did one match. I lost, but drafted like a king. Got Marchesa, horn of greed, spirit of the hearth, grenzo, hallowed burial, burgeoning, burning wish, and berserk, but I felt bad the guy next to me passed on the berserk because it wasn't in his color so I actually traded that back to him at the end.

Play more effects that fuck everyone equally. Be the Hydra Omnivore.

Deck thinning is a myth

I understand you, user

I bought four.

P1p1 I took Archdemon because fuck your signaling.

P1p4 was also an archdemon.

It changes your starting hand size, not your maximum.

>autism level spike

For you my friend, you have fun by sticking to 1v1 and letting the rest of us draft the casual multiplayer set.

So were the people at my draft just shit or is Garbage Fire not any good? Because I was able to draft 5 of them and have them deal 8 damage.

Drafted a White / Green deck and got some neat pulls and passes.

>Recruiter of the Guard
>Bird of Paradise
>Burning Wish

Had a lot of white cards, it was a pretty powerful deck but weak to fliers.

I knocked out one player early (4 person free for all) but this one chick became monarch with a u/g deck and got so much card advantage it was impossible to stop her.

Also, Rogue's Passage in this format is insane since there are very few board wipes.

Drafted a very nice U/W deck. Unfortunately, two of the players in my game colluded because the final 2 players in each game went on to a final round for packs. I had fun though, and ended up decking myself out because they just built a wall of creatures and I was the only one willing to attack.

What happens if my opponent and me each control one Exotic Orchad and no other lands?

Who W/B Monarch master race here?

First draft I had 2 kill shots, Keepsake, the 4 drop monarch enchant, the WB monarch knight, the 1/4 3 drop bleeder, 2 peace keepers at 4, and 3 of +1/+1 counter or 1/1 soldier guy with 2 zombie conspiracies on the voter among other shit. I went so wide and people couldn't do shit. Also had Defender of the Gateless.

Draft 2 I was solid 3 color with a splash (WBUr) for Marchesa. Basically ran a few of the same shit, but was much higher on Monarch enablers. The winner was Weight Advantage. Fuck me, that is insane in this format. 1/4 bleeder, 3/5 unblockable, 0/4 Goad, 2/3 flier, 2/5 Gorgon, 1/3 Death Touch, ect. On top of that, I had 2 of the Land cycling that untaps your field and gives them +1/+2. Also had Murder, Regicide, and 2 Jailers with a Zombie Conspiracy.

W/B is amazing.

Neither land can tap for mana until at least one other land which produces mana is played.

Depends on the order, no one should have ever handed you another Garbage Fire after you counted to eight but if that was your last one I can see how it was overlooked.

Red is the worst color by far with a lack of monarch related effects and no fliers.

This motherfucker. Drafted 2 of them, had one set to a burn spell, the other to the bounce 2 things spell. Play him, bounce himself and one big nasty, repeat. Bounce two big things, burn something. So many options, so good.

I think you're obligated to tweet this at Tabak. Ask him why the archdemon favored you

Tonight I played UW and won in my pod in a very close margin. It was fun to play almost exclusively the town guard sitting behind a wall while everyone beat the shit out of each other.

I genuinely wish I could have played more than a single game with this, and I kinda want to play tomorrow too but I'm broke

>going to the effort of knocking out the weakest player leaves you open to retribution
Only focus down people who are significantly targeting you or who have been universally ignored long enough to stabilize.

I want to go play tomorrow but i have very little idea of what to pick or get, any tips of which cards are absolutely MUST PICK? When drafting i usually just pick the strongest looking card that can work out in a lot of strategies and then stick to the colors along it.

What should i be aiming for?

Well, fuck me.

Two boxes opened:
No fucking IOKs.
But I got two Show and Tell, 1 Sultain Elfman and a Berserk.

>lgs holding friday night CN2 draft
>couldn't go due to being busy with other shit
>friends who went come back telling me it was horrible
>everyone was drafting like normal
>everyone was having a swell time
>suddenly the store owner starts listing off pairings
>everyone is confused because it's a multiplayer format
>sudden realization washes over everyone when they realize the store was holding a swiss tournament
>everything had to stop dead in it's tracks when everyone was trying to explain
>everyone playing had to have a fucking vote to determine if it would be multiplayer or swiss
>multiplayer wins by one vote
>one guy ended up saying "multiplayer is just a variant"
>suddenly it's back to swiss

boy am I glad I missed that shitshow

Sovereign's Realm and Hymn of the Wilds are extremely powerful.
but unless you're *very* careful, they don't work well together

What do I do with all my kewl conspiracy cards once the draft is over, anons?

I got passed a fucking foil Leovold.

To be fair, it was my younger brother who passed it to me, and he knew it was in two of my colors thanks to revealed cards.

Less excusable for my game pod was being allowed to stick him turn 3 and never have him removed, at worst goaded once.

Also Weight Advantage P1P1 is almost as much of a win as Soverign's Realm. 4/4 2 drops, 4/4 vigilance for 4, etc.

Fuck draft!
Go goldminning, nigger.

>no-one got white on their regicides
>didnt see any murders
>Monstrous hundred-handed with ghostly possession
Go ahead try and kill me

Build a cube.

Lost both my matches, but I got some insane pulls. First draft I opened Berserk and kept that, went BUG but got ganged up on, the conciliation pack I got had a foil Inquisition though. Second draft I went Jund and opened another Inquisition and got closer to winning the game, but I started drawing a lot of mana and I should have killed my opponent earlier.Conciliation pack from that had a Kaya.

Had a guy who got 5 Garbage Fires at 8, 4 of them were from the first pack.