Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=boj3A39XBxc
goodreads.com/book/show/9545851-the-narrator
youtube.com/watch?v=FtT4aT5yvnA&t=1m39s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not with that attitude.

fuk u

Right in the feels man

I mean there's good in both worlds OP, loot, adventures, wondrous landscapes and magic in one, and love and sex, and mangos in the other.

Start writing. The only reason why I haven't shot myself these past six years is because I started working on a serious fantasy novel.

As a neat bonus, I'm now at least decently literate, so I can notice and get angry at other people's illiteracy. I've never had so much fun reading billboards and political propaganda before.

Deal with it

I think there's something wrong with our society. We have lost a sense of agency and purpose in our actions we are presented with a million different choices , 20 brands of soda , catalogs of furniture , thousands of shows and films to stream and download but ultimately these choices are meaningless and simply provide us with the illusion of choice like that DM who you know is railroading you but you don't seem to care anyway.

We escape into fantasy to give ourselves that sense of agency and purpose we lack in everyday life and yet I feel that drive to eacapism is simply another prison we find ourselves in just ones with fantastical walls we have created ourselves.

> I've never had so much fun reading billboards and political propaganda before.
lol and fuk yuu for bing a grammar nazi

It's escapism!
Can't you see? It's not healthy!

marche was right, and you know it

> we lack in everyday life

You literally do not.

Get your head out of your ass and go do what makes you happy. Don't blame others for your own lack of motivation.

>mfw my escapism has been building me a set of good real-life friends in the form of my players and GM
>mfw we do non-RPG stuff pretty regularly, often right after sessions, sometimes instead of sessions

I thought I was being antisocial and escaping reality, but it turns out that talking to people every week can help make friendships happen.

Here's another view: Our societies are so rich and comfortable we can afford to let people have hobbies and interests.

There's still a shit ton of people with drive who hustle every day, in every way, business, physique, sex, charm, whatever, often even in the same person.

There's currently no real threat to the West that we haven't allowed to happen (Imagine 19th century West's response to the current Islam issue. It would be solved over night) out of our ideology and I do agree that affects our culture. Without something like the USSR to keep us on our toes, as a whole we don't have to try as hard.

youtube.com/watch?v=boj3A39XBxc

Many do anyway of course, and they're the ones who matter.

>shooting yourself
>not using a helium suicide bag

How basic can you get

But it takes me to a comfortable, easy-going, calm world...

where I could live forever.

where do I get one?

>serious fantasy novel.

Wow. Now there is an oxymoron if I ever saw one.

With the possible exception of that Piedro Street Station book and some other Mieville shit, there is not really any such thing as "serious fantasy." It is entirely full of ass pulls, and as soon as you mention fantasy, any competent literary critic is going to roll his eyes, because fantasy is a crutch for shitty authors, right behind sci-fi. Why? Because most authors have no ability to make a good story.

Go ahead, user. Greentext some of the plot of your precious novel to us. Sell it to us with a blurb. I bet you won't because you don't want us stealing your "precious" idea. Well guess what, faggot, no one gives a flying fuck about your plot. Why? Because it's quite likely complete shit.

Other than "magic*", all those things exist in the world you're in.

(*What counts as magic anyway? I mean, chemists do some crazy shit, but I guess it doesn't count because it exists?)

what have you done OP?!?! Why?? You've woken me... now i have to endure this cruel thing calles... reality
May Talos smite you!!

Get a plastic bag, some duct tape and a can of helium + party balloons from a DIY store.

By your second breath you're unconscious.

Google a more detailed guide if you're interested. I've suffered awful asthma attacks my whole life, and if ever there's any massive disruption to society I can't live very long without my meds.

So I plan on going out quick rather than suffering for months.

It's also just nice peace of mind. Super quick and painless way to go, whereas I'm pretty sure I'd fuck up suicide by gun somehow.

If you enjoyed Mieville's stuff, try some stuff from Micheal Cisco, like the Narrator.

goodreads.com/book/show/9545851-the-narrator

They don't actually put enough helium inside tanks to smother you anymore.

Depends on the company, but that's something to watch out for.

Holy shit dude, if you're that worried about your medication, find out what's in it, where it's sourced from and if you can synthesise it.

Failing that, stockpile.

Do you always get angry about what other people enjoy?

This is some extremely tasty bait.

Most of our classic literature was seen as fantasy trife back in their day.

>This, so much fucking this.

I live less than 3 hours from the vast endless expanse that is the ocean. White sand beaches, vibrant sounds, and desolate swamps. 3 hours from some of the oldest and most motherfucking majestic mountains. Snow capped peaks obscured in desne fog, lush rolling hills of grass and the atmosphere alive with the sounds and smells of the forrest. Where I can take some buddies or go alone and just take it all in with a sense of wonder and awe.

I may not be able to throw fireballs around but anyone who has ever sat next to that special someone and stared out at the ocean, would know magic is very real.

>sat next to that special someone
Good one.

Mark Twain wants to have a word with you.
George Byron wants to have a word with you.
Charles Dickens wants to have a word with you.
Mary Shelly wants to have a word with you.
Virgil wants to have a word with you.
Tolkien wants to have a word with you.
C. S. Lewis wants to have a word with you.

Now I'm just mad.

I have met one of my best friends this way, and we are currently discussing becoming roomies.

What if there isn't anything that makes user happy? What makes you think you can save him?

And doesn't their presence leave everyone else redundant? How many pieces of the pie can there really be? Surely you don't think anyone needs anyone here, or that anything would change if everyone in this thread were to simply disappear?

>I may not be able to throw fireballs around
I mean, you can. You need a jar full of petrol rather than a pouch full of bat guano, but whatever. The only difference is that it follows the rules of stuff you're used to.

this is going to be hard to read since these are all authors I know "academic" americans really love, but in Europe literally none of these people are considered a serious contributor to the literary canon.

>we are currently discussing becoming roomies.
As the user you're replying to, I roomed with someone I met through tabletop RPG gaming. It was pretty fuckin' neat. Beat the hell out of rooming with randoms, that's for sure.

The optimist sees there's 5% for grabs and then organises a hostel takeover

>approximately five minutes later

> What makes you think you can save him?

Who ever said I want to save him?

wut?

>acknowledging reality

OP, or anyone who agrees with him: where do you live, and do you go very far from there?

Who hurt you, user?

All the people that I know,
in the apartments down below,
busy with their starry roads
and their own tradgedies...
youtube.com/watch?v=FtT4aT5yvnA&t=1m39s

>Trying to make me think on a day I don't have to do anything
You cheeky fuck.

>in Europe literally none of these people are considered a serious contributor to the literary canon.

>Dickens was one of the most prolific authors of his day and whose works have been praised almost universally, for over a century
>Tolkien defined an entire genre with how almost every writer trying to write fantasy emulates his ideas in at least SOME small way

(This is ignoring the no less distinguished works of the others in that list.)

Now THIS is some top-tier bait. 10/10 user.

imagine there is a black image of white fish and a hook here

Oh no, a bunch of dying countries being raped into extinction by Arabs doesn't approve!

>it's a Veeky Forums shitposting episode

>being this mad
What's with you americans always getting incredibly buttflustered over everything?

Stop shitposting, Jondon.

I construct an orbital kinetic cannon, and threaten to use it on the other player if he doesn't surrender his money to me.

>getting really into The Game
>realizing you just lost The Game

I have felt that feeling.

I guess this is a thread as good as any to post a story.

1/2
>Pathfinder, although houseruled to hell and back to make it grim, low fantasy
>play in a fucked up world that is fighting a losing battle against rampant necromancy
>the human kingdom is also warring against an orc invasion and a newly discovered, exotic and completely foreign gigantic theocratic empire from way south
>we're all working either directly or indirectly for the human faith
>our party gets a mission from the grand inquisitor to track down and retrieve the prince after the king was badly wounded on the orc frontlines, leaving the remaining lords quarreling due to a collapsed command structure and the army in disarray
>the prince went to the expeditionary force from the south that is about to invade in order to desperately try negotiating peace - without permission or prior notice or even knowing what awaits him there
>we manage to track him down just in time and barely manage to persuade him to go back
>however, he orders us to negotiate in his stead in return
>we seek out the enemy camp and are immediately captured because the empire views us as heretics, lower than their slave caste, and doesn't recognize diplomat status (at least it's not the fucking prince)
>we are then forced to fight in the arena to amuse the army while they finish their preparations
>the other 2 players and a NPC that has been with us for almost a year in real time get picked first among our group and fight against other gladiators, barely surviving and winning
>when the loser displays low skill, effort or courage and fails to entertain, he is killed on the spot - either by the winner, or by the guards
>failure to entertain or comply gets punished harshly, as does obviously pulling punches

2/2

>finally it's my turn to fight
>our NPC friend gets selected as my opponent
>DM describes how he looks bruised and beaten and fearfully asks "Do we really want to do this...?"
>I look around, see us surrounded by 30 guards
>no way out - I have to choose between honorably dying alongside my comrade in defiance, or battling it out, hoping to entertain enough to get granted mercy
>I say "We'll fight until one loses consciousness... let's leave here both alive."
>we begin our battle, exchanging heavy blows, pushing and tripping to build suspense
>I fight with a mace against his axe, we both also use shields
>cut and bruised, we're nearing the defeat of one or the other
>in my final charge, I swing and sunder his shield, barely survive his counter
>my mace strikes a final time, hits him in the chest and it's over; he falls over backward
>as the audience roars in approval, I rush toward him to help, but get pulled away by the guards and dragged back into my cell
>I see him being dragged right after and thrown into the cell next to mine
>DM rolls his CON checks, one after the other, failing
>his breathing gets shallower and shallower, a pool of blood slowly forming around him
>finally, all motion stops
>after a few moments that felt like eternity, a guard comes over and kicks his body a few times, checks his pulse and then drags the lifeless body away as my character watches helplessly

I felt so dirty and empty inside after that and had trouble sleeping. Our DM made a world that is so immersive it gave me PTSD. Probably need a break from gaming.

>start getting into the metro universe

Thank god that isn't real life. I dont wanna be in the underdark full of mutants, nazis, commies, and general fucking bandit assholes. I'll keep my cozy life thank you.

>get into STALKER universe
>tfw I will never wander the zone with my loner pals selling artifacts and shooting bandits and muties with my broken Kalashinikov

Did Ray Bradbury's ghost piss in your cornflakes or something?

I can't forget that reality exists. I can remember something else, though.

IRL is the best setting ever go fuck yourself.
>Get money doing stuff that's fun.
>Buy the stuff you want.
>Do the things you want to do.
>See the things you want to see.
>Taste the food you eat.
>Actually having sex instead of talking about it with fatluses in cringey detail.
>No railroad.
>No shitty writing.
Low test posters need not reply. But seriously.

Furries should be shot as well.

Most people don't get money doing stuff that's fun.

Almost no one does.

I have never seen a post that is so utterly and completely false

Some parts are definitely true, like eating the food you taste, and actually having sex over RP-sex, but the rest is pretty junk.

And 1/2 of the true part is pretty irrelevant.

>Get money doing stuff that's fun
the vast majority of people do not work "fun" jobs
>Buy the stuff you want
Unless you don't have enough money
>Do the things you want to do
See above.
>See the things you want to see
See above.
>Taste the food you eat
Fair
>Actually having sex instead of talking about it with fatluses in cringey detail.
Also, actually contract an STD if you aren't careful.
>No railroad
No, but most of your days are going to be spent working regardless.
>No shitty writing
Just shitty people.

Also fuck you Lackadaisy is great if you happen to be immortal.

>this guy
Academic/10, well done. You're clearly well-read to form such an offensive opinion, but you can't possibly be that dumb.

>can only get money for doing stuff that's fun after years of doing stuff that's not fun, and that's only if you're lucky
>otherwise you will do stuff that's not fun for money because wageslaves are the future
>can only buy the stuff you can afford, must focus on needs and payments first
>laws prevent the illegal desires, social norms, the people around you, and the needs you have to put above your wants stifle ability to pursue interests
>see things even if I don't want to see them
>sometimes food is bland or has become so repetitive as to lose all real flavor
>outside of illegal rape, having sex requires either money or forming a relationship, which requires time, money, and dedication to another person
>why do you think I'm doing what I want with my life
>why is my character so badly written and worried about idiotic things, who thought those jokes were funny, who reacts like that to such a mundane event, why are all these characters yelling and wasting their lives instead of solving problems rationally

>tfw it still updates faster than Prequel
HAAH
WAAW

>wait, so you're telling me these fuckers invent the atomic bomb BEFORE world peace?

Magic clearly exists. The realization of abstract ideas into concrete physical form can't possibly be categorized as anything else.

What do you do after you have done that though? Where do you go to get your next fix of "magic"?

I mean I live in a house with nothing but woods around it and I love going for walks, particularly at night, but after a few years of doing that you are more likely to run into a cougar than magic.

I also found the ocean to be pretty boring and the beaches are covered in trash and broken glass. It seems like the most common activity for people at beaches is waiting to get a tan. Plus I can't swim and I have no friends that would do anything with me.

Because you're playing Monopoly, you casual, tasteless hack.

> (Imagine 19th century West's response to the current Islam issue. It would be solved over night)

Are you aware that the current issues with Islam are pretty much a direct result of the 19th century West's dealings with Islam?

Well, what order would you do it in?

I appreciate your optimism but you're fucking delusional.

Then getting killed by an anomaly. Or that thing that hurts you just by looking at it.

Could be worse.

>Getting really into a fantasy world
>Fantasy world is all a dream/parallel world that might as well be an elaborate LARP that protagonists can enter and exit at will

Way to go, author.

...I sell the last remaining piece for billions of dollars and live my life in exotic decadency?

And if I don't start with Whitechapel, I just work for the big guy until I can save up enough to retire with a comfortable sum of money?

Niggers gonna nig.

>Hey sir, there's a bunch of pirates kidnapping our sailors and beheading them. They call themselves Muslims.
>Ok, kill them and put out some notices for their arrests.

Are you aware Muslims were treated precisely the same way the West treated any violent, reactionary group that randomly attacked people?

>Virgil didn't contribute to the literary canon
Baitiest bait of all time.

>I've never had so much fun reading billboards and political propaganda before.
I know that feel. Feels good man.

Good story. One think is getting to me though. So the current ruler and the heir to the throne were allowed to both be in hostile situations at the same time? That kingdom deserves to fall.