Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

Do you like minionmancers, /pfg/? What's your favorite kind?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warriors playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1dX4UYdtwTQKhY71Q45IHLtcu193zq1ZO5jHQ5_PnTl8/edit

Bloodforge: Infusions playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit

Legendary Vigilantes playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit

DSP's Forrest started a patreon for her own 3pp company: patreon.com/forrestfirestudios

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1QwizRjfkg0inFpMqG22lHdIcIRt9glXY_SyAdFJv-wU/edit
d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/trick-shooter-combat
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/orcs/orc
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/npc-s/npc-0/foot-soldier-human-warrior-1
d20srd.org/srd/monsters/orc.htm
d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hobgoblin.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What should the distribution of PC class levels among the population be in an E6 game world?

I've always wanted to just have a portable hole of shitty 1HD skeletons. Maybe Burning ones so they'll accomplish at least something, barring fire resist.

So I just throw it down and cackle 'GO, MY PRETTIES!' while the rattlebones clatter forth.

95% of population should be NPC classes.

You know what I would like? A summoner that can summon only swarms. Is there something like that?

Burning wouldn't work, since there's no air in the portable hole, so chances are they just come out as smoldering skellies that need some time before lighting up again.

If Sneak Attack damage isn't part of the spell damage, why would it get half by a successful save?

> This damage is only applied once per spell. In the case of fireball this means it affects all targets in the area, with each getting a save to halve the damage (including the sneak attack damage).

By your logic, Sneak Attack damage shouldn't be affect by successful save since it's not part of the spell.

There does not seem to be much of a reason to spend +3 metamagic to transform a spell's damage into typeless damage, considering that +1 metamagic can change damage to sonic damage. Typeless damage should be worth +2 metamagic at best, and even then, it should ignore hardness.

The armored spellburst savant really should receive some sort of upgrade, such as ignoring somatic components for spellburst savant spells altogether. The unarmored AC bonus ACF is far better, especially with Mage Armor.

Theurgic Scholarship causes an invalid game state if an inquisition is selected, due to inquisitions not coming with spells.

If you are downgrading Spell Storing effects for spellburst savants, you could also consider slightly downgrading the Ring of Wizardry, which is currently a must-have item for any savants who can afford it.

Fire doesn't require air in magicland lmao

I think there may be a Druid archetype for that, or a Witch who spams all the various swarm related spells

Did anything cute or adorable happen in your last session, /pfg/?

>Sneak Attack damage shouldn't be affect by successful save

Sneak Attack damage isn't affected by a successful save, it's affected by a successful attack roll

That isn't Sneak Attack, that's a different ability that augments it.

Read the actual Sneak Attack text.

I thought of holding hands with you

>favorite kind of minionmancers

The ones that summon ENDLESS DINOSAURS.

>such as ignoring somatic components for spellburst savant spells altogether
They can just make them into thought or emotion components, freely, and those have almost no downsides.

What are some fun E6 builds for pathfinder? I am playing a ranger currently, but might switch out. Maybe as a Magus/Rogue/Arcane Trickster for a spread of skills and shenanigans?

I'm specifically looking for fun/interesting, I doubt my group is going to need someone as super-damage dealer.

That doesn't say anything about the distribution of PC classes among the 5% though

I would just like to say, to whoever made them, the Emperor class and the radiant sun discipline are really cool. and I hope to be able to play one soon.

TOO LEWD! TOO LEWD! He said cute, you pervert.

It is not quite "freely," since they have to trade in one component for another. In fact, if they wear light or medium armor, they must always swap out somatic components lest they suffer spell failure.

The unarmored spellburst savant needs not worry about such a thing, and can have higher AC with no speed reduction or armor check penalty via Mage Armor.

Our group ended up coming across a farm that was destroyed by a group of bandits. It was on fire and inside we saw a pig - one of the players ran in and saved it.

The pig started following us around and it turned into our mascot of sorts. It even ended up defeating the bandit boss.

We all attacked the bandit and knocked him down to 0 hit points, but we were out of actions, he was going to go first next round and we knew he was going to activate his cape of dimension door to escape. But before the round ended the piggy charged him, hit him for 1 damage and knocked him out.

The piggy's now become a proud member of our adventuring group.

>There does not seem to be much of a reason to spend +3 metamagic to transform a spell's damage into typeless damage, considering that +1 metamagic can change damage to sonic damage. Typeless damage should be worth +2 metamagic at best, and even then, it should ignore hardness.

That's fair, since sonic will bypass most things. I'll update it.

>The armored spellburst savant really should receive some sort of upgrade, such as ignoring somatic components for spellburst savant spells altogether. The unarmored AC bonus ACF is far better, especially with Mage Armor.

Well, they can effectively ignore somatic components anyway thanks to converting them to thought, emotion, or verbal as needed. While I do see your point, I'm not sure what to give them. I might instead make the unarmed AC bonus ACF eat something else to balance it.

>Theurgic Scholarship causes an invalid game state if an inquisition is selected, due to inquisitions not coming with spells.
Whoops, forgot that Inquisition was a cleric thing.

>If you are downgrading Spell Storing effects for spellburst savants, you could also consider slightly downgrading the Ring of Wizardry, which is currently a must-have item for any savants who can afford it.
That's fine, it's an important item for many characters. Spell-Storing was downgraded because it was an unintended and overly strong interaction with the ability, but Ring of Wizardry/Runestones of Power/etc being particularly good for them is something I've kept in mind and intended.

That pig had better of gotten animal companion levels.

The party was at a fancy banquet, half-orc flame oracle was having problems getting food from the buffet line because kids kept stealing bread rolls.

They made a bread castle and after a few shits and giggles the oracle got named Bread Emperor.

Bread puns were made. The nobility were known as the Upper Crust.

Also oracle-related, he got the Haunted curse so he was showing tricks to the kids, bread roll flew off in a random direction (read: mine) and beaned my character straight in the face. Previously that session I've already been hit in the face several times by gold coins thanks to the oracle. Wanker.

Paladin tried to hit on a married woman, classic barfight ensued.

Fun times were had overall.

Not yet. We don't have any casters who could take him as a familiar or animal companion. We're thinking of maybe Awakening him later on though when we get enough gold.

>Not giving this heroic pig standalone AC levels.
Tell your GM he a dumb.

Or you know, maybe its time for rule 0 and just let it be " everyone's" animal companion.
Rules are only a suggestion after all.

Big thanks to the dude in last thread who recc'd Psychic Warrior to go into Awakened Blade. Just rocked out with a Oni-Blooded Tiefling with that combo; shit was dope. We had to retreat from the fucking Dragons, due to the fucking dragons killing our Warpriest (twice, as he could not into "DON'T RUN UP AND HIT IT" after getting Breath of Life'd) and making our rogue run away like a like a little bitch for the entire fight.

I've made the AC bonus ACF eat one of the spellburst savant's level 1 fundamental spells as well as the proficiencies, to help reduce its low-level power and later versatility a bit.

And now, I'm going to bed. Thanks for the feedback, all.

Allowing the armored spellburst savant to stack Mage Armor atop actual armor could be a start, as would giving them a minor side benefit such as +1 AC, ignoring the speed reduction of medium armor, or reducing armor check penalty.

The thing is, it's not an "armored spellburst savant," it's just a normal spellburst savant. They're meant to be able to use armor, but they're not someone actively focusing on armor to the point of having class features to support it except proficiencies.

I'll get to this later, I think. Will put some thought into it to see about further changes to the AC Bonus feature and the base spellburst savant.

Pigs are great.

It's nowhere near as impressive, since he was a Conjuration Companion, but Boaris the Boar once bullrushed (boarrushed?) a vampire off the hood of our truck, whereupon she got roadkilled.

He was also, overall, the best-rolling member of our party. While his summoner was the worst. Never rolled over a 5, and so missed every attack despite them hitting touch.

OKAY.

I've finished porting the Playtest Spirits of the OA playtest medium to the actual medium, as essentially "secondary spirits". The secondary spirits replace some of the shittier abilities from the final-release medium (getting four different variants of call spirit wtf). I've only ported the original 18 spirits, though I've had to change some of them around to exclude some of the playtest-only material and to cut down on overt complexity (seriously having four different spirits that all interact in weird, esoteric ways wtf Pisszo).

If anybody wants to leave comments or reply, do so on the doc. There's a section at the bottom that includes a space for suggesting more spirits of different alignments (as I've assigned alignments to each of the original 18 playtest spirits).

docs.google.com/document/d/1QwizRjfkg0inFpMqG22lHdIcIRt9glXY_SyAdFJv-wU/edit

Well, I might be crazy, but I think the emotionally stunted servant/vigilante is falling in love with the gives-no-fucks-and-laughs-when-you-hit-him shield champion. He saved her from drowning, and she spent the evening dressing his injuries, telling him how incredibly dangerous it was going after her like that and calling him "fool".

Of course, she always called him "fool" before that, but she seems slightly less detached when she says it.

Starting a campaign at level 5 and I'm going to make a Bladebound Kensai. Would it be worth burning 2 feats in order to wear a mithral shirt with 0ACP, or should I simply accept my fate as squish?

Help. Do ranged combat maneuvers deal damage or not?

Say if I had Tempest Gale Style, allowing me to make ranged combat maneuvers. When I make one, do I deal weapon damage as well, or does it only perform the maneuver?

If the latter, what the hell is this;

d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/trick-shooter-combat

?

Meant 0 spell fail, my mistake.

The feat that eat up your swift action? No, that is a trap option.

Get bracer of armor or djezet skin instead.

>tfw you will never be a sexy catboi trap wearing skin-tight djezet skin armor

Begone.

How do I Tauren in PF, /pfg/?

Literally a minotaur.

Now if only a GM would ever clear me to play one.

No, really, that's the only reason I'm even asking for a workaround with a more "acceptable" race.

Asterion. It's 3PP, but at least 3PP is easier to pull than a literal monster.

Tempest gale combat maneuvers from afar don't do damage unless they say so.
Tempest gale was being written well before Ranged Tactics Toolbox came out I think and that feat in particular applies to other methods of doing similar things that RTT provided.

This is what I get for not noticing its a new thread

Why so ded?

pfg is always dead at this time.
Source: GMT+8 user.

Is it just me or is Goetic the most autistic thing that DSP's ever put out? How can anyone justify this overcomplicated, overburdened, overpowered mess of an archetype/class?

Well, assume the population of the world is, for simplicity's sake, 1B (1,000,000,000).

5% of 1B is 50,000,000, meaning there are one hundred million adventurers in the world.

Let's pretend it's a straight declination from there, so 5% per level.

50,000,000 1st-level adventurers with PC levels
5% of that makes 2,500,000 2nd level individuals
5% again means 125,000 3rd level individuals
6,250 4th level
~312 5th level
~15 6th level

There's your distribution for an E6 game, easy peasy.

>meaning there are one hundred million
fifty million*

I just finished running a game, excuse me for a fuckup like that.

Okay not bad, that's something to discuss at least.

I went with more of an approach of "Level X means you're the best Y on the scale of importance Z"

So, for example, a level 1 fighter signifies he's the best fighter in the village he comes from.

I then went and applied some basic levels of importance from CK2 because it was just handy and convenient. The scale goes: village/subfee, barony, county, duchy, kingdom, empire, continent, world.

So, level 1 fighter = best fighter from his village
Level 2 fighter = best fighter from his barony
Level 3 fighter = best fighter from his county
All the way to level "8" (which in E6 is level 6 + 10? 20? feats) = best fighter in the world

Then you can say "there's an average density of 6 subfees per barony, an average density of 5 baronies per county, an average density of 3 counties per duchy, and 4 duchies in this kingdom, which means that the kingdom of Epuca has 360 level ones, 60 level twos, 12 level threes, 4 level fours, and 1 level 5"

Someone last thread mentioned Ssalarn canceling Arcforge. Last time he and I talked he said that he intended to talk to some other 3PP about picking it up.

Next time I talk to him I'll ask if anyone decided to grab it up.

I do know his Plants, Nature, and some fey themed Akashic release is going into playtest within a month.

Anything else you want me to ask him regarding his upcoming stuff?

Either method works, though yours is better for provincial estimates.
That math is 'literally the whole world, everyone on it from ancient old fucks who can't move without creaking to that newborn who just popped out ten seconds ago".

Mind, that puts an interesting limit on the number of feasible kingdoms. After all, if you've only got 1-2 5th level persons per kingdom, then there's a solid and somewhat realistic limit on the number of kingdoms that exist in the world, alliances and rivalries be damned. Not to mention, the absorption of smaller kingdoms can limit that further, until you're down to at most ten or fifteen kingdoms per continent (pending number of continents, of course), and thus only so many 5th level individuals available to interact with before needing to sail overseas.

Gods fuck do I love worldbuilding but it's 4am and I have class in 8 hours. Good luck with your E6 game, user.

imo

Anyone who isn't retarded or a layabout has at least 1 PC level. Only invalids or very, very sheltered people would be stuck with just commoner.

Level 3 is notably competent, most soldiers are expected to be able to preform at this standard.

Level 6 is "damn he's good" but by now means legendary, you're just at the limit of human skill.

You can do the D&D2e way of the Druid. There is a hard limit to how many druids of a certain level there can be in a single area, thus you can only reach certain levels if there's an empty slot.

>but by no means legendary
Is obviously what I meant.

>Level 3 is notably competent, most soldiers are expected to be able to preform at this standard

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/orcs/orc
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/npc-s/npc-0/foot-soldier-human-warrior-1

You think I give a shit about the precedent paizo set?

An army composed of level 1 warriors, Orcish or otherwise would probably imply that the faction is in a pretty bad stat in my worlds..

>paizo

d20srd.org/srd/monsters/orc.htm

>band (30-100 plus 150% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains)

d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hobgoblin.htm

tribe (30-300 plus 50% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults, 1 or 2 lieutenants of 4th or 5th level, 1 leader of 6th-8th level, 2-4 dire wolves, and 1-4 ogres or 1-2 trolls)

Yes, I don't care about the the shanktown crapsack bullshit wizards or any other company made to make PC's seem more important than they really are.

>MY homebrew setting is the BEST and everyone else is WRONG.

I'm not saying mine is the best you dumb motherfucker, I'm saying I don't care what other people right.They aren't right or wrong, that doesn't pertain to my worlds.

Play however you want man.

How do Scatter Firearms work with Martial Strikes? Spellstrikes?

Wouldn't necessarily say 'forgot', user. The last communication I got on that project was that it was going to get rewritten after he'd tagged in someone to help out and found fundamental flaws with the concept. One long, resounding, all-consuming silence later, to be likened unto the empty void between the stars, and Mike and we parted ways, with this project staying in DSP.

The 'some other freelancer' that got tagged in was the gentleman that Mike himself had recruited in the first place.

The answer is never 'the spell/strike works on every target hit' and the GM will smack you if you try.

Choose between 'pick one target' and 'doesn't work at all'.

New to pathfinder and DnD in general, question: If you try to trip someone, and you aren't proficient in trip, do you provoke an opportunity attack, my question is if the enemy hits you, does he counter your trip attempt?

No, he doesn't. He hits you, but you still get to try and trip him - barring special circumstances such as he entngles you, he paralyzes you, stuns you, etc. Even if he blinds you, you still get to trip hm, but at -4 to hit and a 50% miss chance for being blind.

Tripping someone isn't a spell, after all.

Here's a guide for combat maneuvers: Don't_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why? they seem to be a nice way of affecting the combat beyond dealing damage

Like I said, I'm new to this, did I miss something?

Monster CMD scales faster than any other monster defense in the game. It's an infeasible strategy.

Combat maneuvers are objectively and significantly worse than just attacking normally.
>Without a feat, every combat maneuver provokes an AoO
>If you get hit, it adds the damage taken as a penalty to the roll
>It goes against the enemies CMD which is almost always higher than their AC if they're not a caster
>If you fail the check by 10 or more, the maneuver you were trying to do happens to you
>You deal no damage that round

Tripping is only worth it if you can combo Punishing Kick and Vicious Stomp.
Which means not tripping since neither require trip.

If you see a player or a DM who talks about "loli", report him to the police because he's definitely a pedophile.

>seem to be
is the operative phrase.
TL;DR the math in this game is fucked and the best way to beat encounters if you're not a wizard is to apply as much raw damage to the enemy's face as possible as quickly as possible.

Like half the monster in bestiary entry are immune to trip after you reach level 7 or so.

So is this lesbian granny kinsalyer empress trying to /ss/ her own son and everyone is pleased?

But that kick only seems useful if you're or a high level monk or a hungry monk (whatever that is)

Greater trip also works with those two feats

Actually, it's only Commoners who are absolute 100% shit.

The other NPC classes aren't bad, for what they are. Warriors have good proficiencies, HD and BAB, for instance. Adepts are casters and have a familiar.

>all fights must be against monsters
I hate this meme.

But user! It's impossible to create compelling mid/high-level humanoid antagonists, that implies you need to *put effort into explaining why they're there.*

You mean like the player characters are?

That takes real imagination all right.

"Only adventurers are unusual humans/elves/wtf" is another trope/meme/bullshit nonsensical vomit that needs to be forgotten.

>That point when the only difference between a level 1 Warrior and a Level 1 Fighter is the Fighter's bonus feat.

And the Fighter has more class skills.

Has anyone here played as the Living Legend archetype for Soulknife? What do you think of it?

I'm actually tired of dealing with medium sized humanoids in every game ever, my GM seems to hate anything remotely fantastic.

That implies NPCs with PC class levels are somehow balanced in the same way monsters are.

Haha.

Funny joke.

I need to learn this game well enough in a single week to DM for a bunch of other newbs for this weekend

Is it possible?

>in a week

4 hours, tops.

Sure.

Really? I own the book and played all of the old cRPG. This isn't a ruse right? It's important I know how to do this.

Any advice for a campaign?

I'd personally recommend running with an Adventure Path first. because it contains all the necessary information for a GM to roll out with minimal work.

Rise of the Runelords is probably your best bet, as long as you get the anniversary edition. It's pretty friendly to new players and therefore also new GMs, has a pretty classic plot for you to ease yourself into and so on and so forth. Pretty sure it's in the Trove too.

I pirated that one I think, thanks and wish me luck senpai

Greater trip makes the enemy provoke AoO when it's tripped, punishing kick doesn't trip, it makes the oponent fall prone.

Good luck.

As a bit of advice, you should probably make a few characters solo yourself. It'll familiarize you with certain important concepts and let you understand a bit more about the way the game works on a base level for PCs, which will help you in the long run.

Okay, I know sort of the gist of how things go and I figured we'd spend the entire first session creating their characters and doing a test run of sorts

Like a barebones encounter where they (3 of them) fight a single enemy to understand movement and combat. Is that a good idea? I am just nervous that I'm not experienced enough to be the DM