Dwarfs and magic

Can we talk about interesting takes on dwarfs using magic? This might sound like heresy to you, but I'm interested in settings in which dwarfs use any other kind of mgaic than "runes", or did you homebrew something not ordniary for them?

For instance I had the idea that, because dwarfs often seem to care a lot about their ancestors, they can summon them kinda like shamans summon ghosts and spirits.

My setting mostly has them channeling soir it's of their ancestors, becoming exalted luminaries n such. Power through history, etc.

The occasional rune casters too, but that's just flashy elemental stuff, big explosions. Nothing to write home about

You mean like D&D Dwarves?

Or Shadowrun Dwarves?

I'm pretty sure Dragon Age dwarves use magic just like everyone else.

The only setting I know about where dwarves are RUUUUUUUNES is Warhammer Fantasy and even then I'm not sure how rune-centric they are outside of their magic weapons.

>You mean like D&D Dwarves?
Aren't they just regular wizards like everyone else?

>Or Shadowrun Dwarves?
I don't know enough about this setting.

>I'm pretty sure Dragon Age dwarves use magic just like everyone else.
I don't care enough for this setting.

Where are dwarves strongly antimagical? All I've ever taken note of is heightened defenses against magic, and I think maybe 2nd ed didn't give them the choice of wizard. That's far from the anathema to magic idea that seems to bounce around for some reason.

>I'm interested in settings in which dwarfs use any other kind of mgaic than "runes"

Oh wow, didn't read and assumed you weren't being strangely specific.

This is another weird one that feels like it was born out of a narrow field of reference because the only setting I know of is Warhammer Fantasy.

>Dragon Age dwarves use Magic like everyone else

Fuck man, i think i hate you.
Its not that you are ignorant about the setting- thats understandable. Im baffled that you felt the need to mention it knowing that you know nothing of it and get such a simple, easy to learn fact about it so wrong. Goddamn, son.

Is this a setting thing?

I have dwarves that are really good at magic kung fu by way of occidental mysticism, basically. The whole self refinement, internal alchemy, transmutation of the self thing seemed really dwarfy to me, and I think that having dwarves have spiritual warrior alchemists instead of mages or clergy adds some much needed flavor

Tolkien based dwarves on jews, so them being good at kabbalistic magic and numerology is a good fit.

wut

Knot magic, but instead of a cord, they use braids in their beards.

There are no mages among dwarves. Like at all. DA2 features some young dwarf with mental issues that seem to be the first dwarf ever existed who can use magic. And even he can only imbue it into his crafts, unlike direct casting like everyone else is doing. Dunno if there is anything else on that matter

The weird thing about this, is in myth dwarves were very magical. They made magical items, sure, but they also had a bunch of other magical powers. The ability to curse people, to walk through solid stone like it wasn't there, to turn invisible, etc, etc. They used this to even the scales against humans because the dwarves themselves were small and physically frail: the idea that dwarves are robust, strong, and tough despite their size, or that they make great warriors, is largely a Tolkien creation.

That wasn't even Tolkien creation. Dwarves were good crafters and proud warriors, but they jobbed quite often.

How many examples of a pre-Tolkien warrior dwarf, from myth or fiction, can you name? I can think of maybe one, and his whole stick was using magical weapons and armor to offset his physical frailty.

Schtick*

Dwarves as a kind of pseudo-incas is a really cool idea.

My Dwarves use runes, but everyone uses runes. Its how they manipulate magic into spells. Most Dwarf casters act as navigators on trade and pirate ships, so they specialize is wind, water, and divination magics.

It is in the weirdest way, mainly in just the fact that Tolkien had no Dwarf wizards in his story. He had the "human" wizards and the Elf lords with magic, but no Dwarves were seen casting spells. That doesn't mean they couldn't, but most people take a shallow look at his work, and don't realize that there's a lot more to the setting and we just see extraordinary parts of it, that make it look like there's a lot of spellslingers and such.

I always thought the D&D obsession with dwarves being antimagic was bullshit. Especially since even in D&D, dwarves do magic shit all the time.

I'm perfectly ok with dwarves as any sort of spellcaster.

And one iin the Decent dlc for DA:I a dwarf does magic but it is implied to be due to the Fade bleeding into the real world and also ancient magical entities called Titans

While iron is anathema to magic, adding in a bit more magically-conductive material (to form high-carbon steel) can make it significantly better at holding an enchantment...

Dwarven metallurgy and enchantment go hand in hand. Most dwarven magic is utilitarian or industrial in nature, with very few fireball-slingers, summoners, or illusionists about them.

I like those desert dwarves from guilded age. Putting ghosts in their arrows and stuff, it's pretty neat.

no, fuck off. dwarfs don't use magic.

Ah kk.

I found the setting to be really boring so I can totally see me glossing over that random bit of info.