/ccg/ - Custom Card General

Returns to old planes Edition
To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj
Threadly question: Which plane would you base a return set around, and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR
pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i
pastebin.com/yBnGki1C
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
old.photojoiner.net/
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bumping my shitty thread with my shitty card

I like this remember thing. Very on theme with the Abzan and their spirituality. I do think you should phrase it like Outlast, "Remember: (W) (Rules text)".

Got any more cards with this mechanic?, some more daring designs?

>Zrugo's Revelation

Goddamnit, looks like this shitty thread is going to live.

Why is it so fucking hard for people to look into the archive and find the right template and image? Fucking seriously? Here, since you've demonstrated that you are, in fact, too fucking retarded to know how ANY of this shit works, let me do it all FOR YOU.

To make cards, download MSE for free from here

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)

>Read this before you post your shitty card!

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

And pic attached is the latest primer. Jesus fuck, it's not that hard.

Posted these at the tail end of the last thread, but it died. First full, extended draft of my set's green uncommons! Feedback much appreciated, as always.

These could benefit heavily from some pretty basic proofreading. I'm also of the opinion that cards without art feel a bit lazy or unfinished, but that's a subjective thing. You have some cool concepts here, but they're in major need of some polish. I really wanna see where you go with them, though.

Glpyh-Etched Golem could just be a 0/0 for XG.

Augur is too cheap and/or too big.

Wurm could be one cheaper.

Why does a bird spirit that's clearly flying, not have flying? Change the creature type.

Weight of Authority is neat.

Caring about both permanents with cmc 5 or more and spells that cost 5 or more looks messy.

>Forgot the primer image
>Whole thread is ruined
Kys my man.

Cards without art are definitely unfinished yeah, it's a little hard though when you have cards that reference established lore characters.
If I had any art skills I'd draw them myself.
Also to the proofreading note I managed to somehow post the only two cards I have which still have fucking typos.

>Glpyh-Etched Golem could just be a 0/0 for XG.
I wanted it to have a minimum size.
>Augur is too cheap and/or too big.
Seems to me like an acceptable step down from Courser of Kruphix for the cost.
>Wurm could be one cheaper.
Probably. I made it super fat and super expensive to play into the set's big mana themes.
>Why does a bird spirit that's clearly flying, not have flying? Change the creature type.
There have been birds without flying as recently as Bronzebeak Moa. The human-bird-spirit thing is representative of part of the soul in Egyptian mythology, not actually a flying, flapping bird.
>Weight of Authority is neat.
Thanks!
>Caring about both permanents with cmc 5 or more and spells that cost 5 or more looks messy.
Quite the opposite, really. Permanents are usually spells first, so one plays really organically into the other. Caring about the mana spent on spells is the set's major theme, while caring about permanents is just the focus of one of the factions.

Thanks for the feedback!
Keep at it, user. I really think you have some cool ideas, and I want to see more of them.

>Quite the opposite, really. Permanents are usually spells first, so one plays really organically into the other.
Not, it looks super messy, and this is what I've been trying to tell you for a while. Just apply the CMC bit to both and that would fix the problem. I have yet to see why on earth you are so obsessed with "spend mana" rather than CMC. It's like you are actively ignoring all the changes you could do that would make the set easier to read just so you can have special snowflake mechanic. Don't even fucking try to pretend that "a permanent with converted mana cost 5 or greater" goes better with "5 or more mana to cast a spell" then "cast a spell with converted mana cost 5 or greater."

Also, your own reasoning here defeats itself when a permanent with CMC less than 5 is cast with CMC 5 or greater.

>Also, your own reasoning here defeats itself when a permanent with CMC less than 5 is cast with CMC 5 or greater.
The faction that cares about permanents with cmc 5 or greater is not one of the factions with an alternate cost mechanic as its focal mechanic.
> I have yet to see why on earth you are so obsessed with "spend mana" rather than CMC.
I use the "spend 5 or more" wording to reward players for using the alternate and additional cost mechanics, such as ambush and escalate. The entire impetus behind my making the set was to play around with "alternate costs matter" and "mana cost matters" ideas. It's the core of the set; I'm not changing it.

>The faction that cares about permanents with cmc 5 or greater is not one of the factions with an alternate cost mechanic as its focal mechanic.
This only matters in a world where these two groups of cards can't be placed in the same deck.

How does this card make you feel, /ccg/?

Inner Resonance seems really bad. It's best used on an expensive creature, so if your opponent has literally any removal, you're going to get absolutely massacred on tempo. Also, it does nothing for an entire turn.

I think you could reduce the cost by [2].

Not true. It matters very much in the design process. Besides, in draft, if a player decides to pick Abundance cards, one assumes that they would also pick cmc 5+ permanents to go with them. It isn't like cmc 5+ permanents are rare or parasitic or exclusive; they don't lack utility in other decks or situations.

>UG05
>card with wings, depicted in midair
OK, so it doesn't have to have flying, technically, but this is the kind of thing that causes a lot of confusion.

Alternate and additional cost mechanics are a decent way to up the cost of a card. Too bad they have no interactions what so ever with the cmc of a permanent. Abundance and escalate/ambush don't work together, even though they're playing on the same theme. Just scrap abundance and focus on your spend 5 mana mechanic. (Why did you keyword a faction theme rather than your major set mechanic?).

Inner Resonance is spiritually based on Elemental Resonance. It's a high risk, high reward card, which I think can be fun in the right context. Based on Elemental Resonance and the amount of mana the card can generate, I don't feel comfortable lowering the cost much, if at all. Particularly with limited in mind, where removal is much less ubiquitous.
>Memoricide
Colorshifted Tome Scour doesn't strike me as super exciting or anything, but other than that it seems fine.
I'll look for art of a perched human-bird-spirit deal.
>My sideboard is now my library: the card!
Seems fun. I'm sure there are several broken things one could do with it, but with a 6cmc mythic, one should be able to.

art or critiques greatly appreciated

>Too bad they have no interactions what so ever with the cmc of a permanent.
I know that, user. That wasn't the intention.
>Abundance and escalate/ambush don't work together
Ambush and abundance aren't meant to work well together. They're the mechanics of opposing factions in opposite colors.
>Just scrap abundance and focus on your spend 5 mana mechanic.
Again, no. The factions are designed to work with different aspects of the main theme in different ways very deliberately. There is supposed to be a certain amount of mechanical dissonance between the RW ambush group and the UG abundance group. That's why they're in completely different color pairs and why their mechanics have zero color overlap.
Alt+7 gives you the proper bullet point, user. Giving every player access to card advantage and recursion, especially when they get to use it before you, seems like it could backfire.

do you think end step would be better? or add a skip your drawstep?

I wouldn't add skip your draw step, but end step might be better. I'd also increase the cost by at least [1].

why increase the cost? its a one mana more harder to cast howling mine

No, it's your choice between digging two cards deep or an Eternal Witness trigger. It's much more than howling mine.

hm. would 3 damage be more appropriate?

Guy from last thread still working on a Chinese themed set. I decided to make a tribal focus for 4 tribes in the set. The Sullied (Zombies infused with intense red magic), The Loxodons, Humans, and Ratfolk. I figured these (except humans) Might make cool archetypes. here's an example of a few

I like the card, but honestly I think it could be costed more aggressively. Maybe the player takes 2 instead of 1?

You'll want to brush up on your terminology and wordings.

>Ancestry X (This creature gets +X/+X for each card with the same name as it in your graveyard.)

>War Priest
>Target Zombie you control gains X.

>Loxodon's Pummeler
>... target creature you control gets +1/+1 and gains trample...
>Equipped creature gets

Same for Fury.
Creatures "get" P/T bonuses and "gain" (timed effect) or "has" (sustained effect) abilities.

Wizards also promptly retired the "Tribal" supertype, as it didn't actually offer much to design.

Or that player takes 1 damage each turn until he or she pays 1? Some kind of counter or whatever.

The token is meant to represent pic related, so i'd feel better changing the base creatures p/t, cmc, or the ability cost than the token.

Even if it only worked once, I think it would need a higher cost. Just think how you would cost
>At the beginning of your draw step, you may pay 1. If you do, draw an additional card.
And work from there.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think these guys are acceptable tokens, or should I tweak them a little bit?

Mind unbound is six cmc, so five should do.

Oh, don't make different types of tokens with the same name but different abilities within the same set (or even block). It's not very intuitive that you have three tokens with the same name, but do different things.

I had assumed that naming the color and stats of the token on the card producing it would be enough to distinguish them. What do you think would be a better method to distinguish them?

Just use different names. It doesn't make much sense that they are known as the same card, but only have different abilities because they are different colors.
Take the most recent block: Shadows over Innistrad. It has spirits, wolves, human clerics, zombies, insects, eldrazi, and devils. Each one is distinct, and you can tell what their stats are or what they do just by their token name.
If you're having a problem with differentiating them, then maybe you should just make one generic type of token and cut back on token generators.

Old planes? ;_;
I made this for you *offers up*
It's broken!

Now I understand when you tell me to stop.

That card, art, and flavor text are dope as fuck

>WBU
triggered

What existing card are you color shifting?

What about WBU? D:

>card
Mirri, Cat Warrior

That's not how color-shifting works.

Feedback on these mechanics? This is for a cube setting.

God it's awful to even look at it ;_;

>Returns to old planes Edition

Well. That's true o.o
Just a red Mirri from alternate timeline then.

If these are going to be in a cube, do you really even need keyworded mechanics?

How broken is this / 10?

Not/10

Thanks, I was afraid I fucked up the wording or made something irredeemably busted.

>We vanilla now
I love it.

Stoneweaver is missing a "it's still a land" clause.

Had idea for instants that interact with ancestry. Names and specifics spell effects would need to be tuned/flavored as appropriate.

Reworked these a bit. Trying now to get the effects to match the cost now, rather than the other way around.

Honestly, for 10 mana at sorcery speed they might as well say
>Target player wins the game.
>Target player loses the game.
because the effects either do that anyway, or aren't worth it.

It says "in addition to its other types."

Do you have any feedback that's actually useful? If you do, please provide it.

Rats don't feel particularly Chinese. Where are the Talismans on these zombies? Aside from the Fumanchu beard on the white Ancestral card, it doesn't feel like it is Chinese at all. I'd recommend using Ogres as the Black race. If you're doing romanticized Chinese/eastern Asia, look to stuff like Journey to the West for inspiration.

These designs make Ancestral much more interesting, but by itself Ancestral isn't interesting unless it's at common or the set is super small.

So I'm trying to make some Ramesh and Kumar cards for that new Kaladesh set and this is what I've come up with. Finding art is also impossible, so please bear with me.

I think this did it in a better, more elegant way
The abilities on your Ramesh feel like they have nothing to do with his character.

Compare to Plague Wind or In Garruk's Wake. One more mana for the life loss
seems fine.

Thopters should have flying. Otherwise use 'construct' or 'golem' or something.

Fair enough, I'll see if I can spice things up a bit. I thought being protected from bullshit artifacts as the straight man would be neat, but after designing the other one I kind of ran out of ideas. I would run the fuck out of the 1RB one, even if it would backfire hilariously more often than it would work.

Good call. I just like the word "thopter".

Who are these guys?

Inner Conflict {R}
Enchantment
You are an opponent.

Anons made up some comedy characters in the spoiler threads for the Kaladesh Inventions shit or whatever (basically like expeditions).
Kumar is an imbecile but also a prodigy at artifice while Ramesh is the straight man for his comedy act, always having to clean up after Kumar's mistakes.

Read over here

A question guys, I am trying to do a "War of the Giants" style set. That means play will basically follow this format

1. Get big creatures
2. Swing them into each other
3. Play Combat Tricks
4. Repeat

I built the flavor around classic Machines vs Monsters stuff ,like Godzilla, King Kong, Power Rangers ,Voltron , Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets etc.

The idea was to play into creatures in a way that didn't shaft non creatures & didnt need to go Battlecruiser. Instead of the modern concepts of big clunky board states and chunky decks with like six instants, the idea was to constantly encourage creature combat and to use spells to Aid them. Pumping, damage blocking and redirection, flickering, power weakening, toughness weakening, self bouncing, creature burn and the works; each color using its own slice of the pie to drive the battle home.

With a theme on Battle and combat tricks you would of course need "removal" and this provides a way around combat tricks that isn't just "counter no."

Red is all about passion, so using any cheap tricks is against it ethos, just rush in and fight,it also gets land disruption so this is a great riff on Silence.

It's still a sorcery,which means your opponent can play all there tricks in response, but that still leaves you a opening to play what you like and total control of combats outcome. And knowing that, they may even hold off there tricks to save them for another turn.

>A question guys
Doesn't ask a question.

Your set is very RW. It wouldn't be difficult to flavor black into your themes by having them be the 'sneaky' combat trick colour. Green has big creatures and pump spells but that is about it. Fight related removal would be good. Blue would be very difficult to get satisfying flavor and effects for.

>Red is all about passion, so using any cheap tricks is against it[sic] ethos,
You need to be careful of a few things user.
1) Passion and an aversion to cheap tricks are not mutually exclusive.
2) Even if this was not the case, 'cheap tricks' in the context of the game mechanics are different than 'cheap tricks' in the context of the game flavor. A combat trick that gave +3/+0 and first strike could easily be flavored as a black, red, or white depending on how you named it.
3) Your shitty silence being a sorcery doesn't mean anything. Tapping lands for mana doesn't use the stack so even if you had made this card an instant your opponent's could float all of their mana and then play spells after your shitty silence resolved. The reason it's better off as a sorcery is so that you can't play it on an opponent's upkeep.

Any set focusing on combat tricks means that removal is a premium. You would need to cost your kill/bounce spells higher than would be expected.

In general it is not a good idea to try and get your set to play out with one 'strategy'. It lowers deck variance and makes multiple colors feel the same. I understand that you're going to incorporate different spells/mechanics in order to flesh out individual color identities, but if your set doesn't allow for aggro style wide decks or creature light control decks and is just midrange/ramp strategies it'll be boring to play.

feel free to roast me

Thanks for the heads up; I knew going in making sure each color had an identity that worked while still being unique would be a key challenge , so I made up this shortlist of each colors relevant slice of the pie for the set. The idea is to mix and match them till we get them unique and balanced enough

A set focused on creatures beating the shit out of each other needs ways for each color to play into that, so I made this shortlist

>White

Vigilance: We want players to attack, not hold back; this lets you swing with a guy without being scared of being open

Damage Prevention: You combat tricked your fatty and now it's crushing my guy, lol nope I have a shield!

Attacking Creature Removal: Higher costed due to wanting to avoid "straight” removal often, but W is king of self-defense killing

Equipment/Vehicle/Aura killing: White has artifact and enchantment removal so use this to strip enemy buffs

Equipment/Vehicles/Auras: But still buff your shit!

First Strike: Good for pressure, or Grant it at instant speed to crush problem fatties or avoid death

Anthems: Keep it simple stupid, make all your dudes buff!

Remove Attacking creature from combat: great defense, on the low end would also untap it

Blocking multiple creatures: “Reverse menance” is always great as combat based defense

>Blue

Untapping: For the same reasons as Vigilance, can even be instant speed
Flash blockers: sneak it extra dudes to fight
Toughness Boosting/Power Decreasing: To let you survive combat
Flickering/Self Bounce: Block, and then play this to have your dude survive
Combat learning: When your creatures do combat, you Draw cards
Making creatures Illusions: In a format full of pumps, great as removal or a deterrent
Hexproof: Block enemy shenanigans and/or fizzle there pumps
Untap Islands: A cantrip variant allowing cheaper spells so you can afford to play more
Non Creature Counters; Self explanatory

Someone asked me for more Remember stuff.
Here's one I'm actually somewhat proud of.

cool card, shitty art though

>Black
Power/Toughness shrinking: Black removal themed for combat
Deathtouch: You want to kill something? You gotta fight it
Force players to discard non creatures: A way around combat tricks and buffs in a similar vein as Burning Justice, force em to play there stuff out early, or do it once they are tapped out.
Creature saccing: Block with something, then use it to pump something else, or make blocking hard to assign for your opponent
Menace: One dude can fight many now
Death Triggers: Fighting means dying and dying means effects

>Red
Creature Burn: See toughness shrinking for black
First Strike: See white
Menace: see black
Equipment/Vehicle removal: see white
Death Triggers: see black
Fight: Obvious
Force blocking: see fight
Prowess; heavy on combat tricks so pump your creatures while playing them

>Green

Creature Buffs: Obvious
Fight: See Red
Forcing opponents to block: See Fight
Equipment/Aura/Vehicle Removal: See White
Auras: See white
Flash creatures: See white and blue
Hexproof: See blue
Combat learning: see blue
Forest Untapping: See blue
Multi-blocking: See white
Vigilance: see white
Deathtouch: see black
Probbaly missing a few feel free to add feedback

Polymorph already exists as a card name. Besides renaming, consider making it Instant - Shapeshifter, (like Crib Swap is)
I like Lanscape. the rest is unimpressive.

The rough archetypes I am seeing are

WU: attrition. Your stuff lives while you pikc off theres in combat

UB: Fuck You! Your creatures tank through fights while you disrupt there gameplan and stats

BR: Kill it all: Saccing your stuff to burn there creatures and pumping you up wall while deleteing fucking everything

RG: Beat it Up: Overwhelm the enemy with powerful creatures and damage spells

GW: Pump it up; Pile on counters, transform triggers, anthems, equips, auras , vehicles and whatever else you have to make your shit unstoppable

WR: All in Rush. Yous aid it yourself going hamw ith low to the ground shit pumped up and using damage for reach and pathc learing

UR: Spellsling (man I forgot prowess for blue); make all your shit stronger with prwoess and use draw and hasty draw abilities to get more combat tricks to fuck shit up even more

UG; Why. Wont. You. Die! Your shit is impervious to anything; make it beffey, make it immune counter here shit and generally win the game with your army of immortal iron wall superkilers ; this is the tank; takes hits and gives out harder ones.

GB: Svagary, Backing up really strong creatures with insidious disruption tactics

WB: lol I dunnno . Grave fuckery?

Don't I know it mate.
Would like opinions on this, should he have lifelink?
If not, I was also thinking of having it be whenever a creature an opponent controls diying. Which would synergise with deathouch.

as for flavor; i am for sure riffing ont he color theme

It is a plane overran with huge monsters due to its mana flood; but a legendasry walker once gifted them witha davned artifact to fight back.

Now it is divided on two sides; teh Heroic artificers in there massive metalic icties; and the while savage and dark jungles and swamp of the beyond.

WUR are the 'Sentai' Bg are the Monsters/kaiju

W are the "white rangers" with classic soldier vibes of that color

U are the technicians , analyzers, scientists types and artifcers; think your gendo ikaris or your Billys from power Rangers or the Green dude from Voltron with the glasses

R are your cliche hot blooded shoen protagansistts

Green are our more bestial monsters; things that are just going by there nature. Think King Kong, giant ants like in the 50s, godzillas

Black are more 'evil' monsters, Robeasts, monsters from Sentai and Kamen Rider; atomic horrors (well "manar horrors" to stay in theme) , mutanats oozes at the like. shit like that.

So to put in in terms of stuff already done; Think

"Kaladesh vs Jund."

Mechanics

The short list was

Prowess: To back up spellslinging in Blue and Red
Transform: Fits the flavor of the genre ans is an "internal" pump spell (monstrous style transform including)
Fighter: An expeirmnetal keyword that lets creatures attack creatures.
Meld: With transform in a set with mecha vs monsters it would be lame to not have at least one mythic melder
I am assuming Vehicles would be deciduous or evergreen so that leaves 2-3 ish named mechanics. Hopefully not to complex

Ok so basically this is a flyer with a big ass, that kills everything it touches, draws you a fuckton of cards and stabilizes you for little to nothing, AND guarantees even more card draw later on... for 6 mana.

You get where i am going? Maaaaybe a little bit overpowered?

summing up each colors "vibe" for the set

White is about helping your creatures out
Blue is about defense
Black is about screwing with your opponent
Red is about agression
Green is about Power

so basically you will have a set that is in no way unique or new. got it

isnst this just flashback with a different effect?

How is that any different from how the colors are used in nearly every other set?

this () guy said it

ehra's first ability should be mono black

in what way?

I mean, flashback with a differnt effect is kinda cool; but no need to rename it.

Giving something -1/-1 is pretty straight black.

In fact Green doesnt get to harm creatures in such a way outside combat usually.

>custom tcg's mottot

I don't think that's exactly accurate, but pretty close. Yeah, people just beginning make shit cards, that's just how it is.

Also, am I the only one curious to see how this new Kird Ape performs in the various formats?

Look at green. The fact that there is a grand total of one original point means all your colors bleed into one another. Your set feels very much like the only distinction between colors is which 7 of the 10 mechanics you want to include does that color get.

Thats just how the color pie goes though.

Most abilities and mechanics are shared by two colors.