EDH/Commander General

Enchantment edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/lorans-smile-2014-10-27
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-have-nothing-left-to-give/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kambals-chicken-noodle-soup-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Post em

Here's the template if anyone wants it

>friend ordered yet another booster box hoping for deluxe rares
>despite my advice to order singles and just build a better deck
Every time

I CANT HANDLE ALL THESE FOIL ARTIFACTS

IM GOING TO GO IN DEBT

pls no
those are faggy af

>Jund guy
>Mainly W/G

So whats with the different set symbol for the new ghost rares? It looks like pi. Is it supposed to show you the odds of ever cracking one is infinitely against you just as pi has infinite places?

So, the question of the day:

Which is prettier, original or masterpiece versions?

Mind's eye and mana crypt kinda look like ass, but damn damn damn do I love that sword of feast and famine.

Also, super duper magical premium combustible gearhulk, or regular? My Feldon deck needs to know.

So I just created an mtgo account because I moved away from my playgroup and I don't know if I should buy one of the commander decks or build something of my own on the cheap.

New art is 100% better. I only have 1 sword, a f&f, and you better believe if I ever get one of these new ones that old one is gonna get traded or sold in the blink of an eye.

New art is better on every card except mind's eye and lightning greaves (Judge foil is better).

Personal favorite art is Cloudstone Curio but I won't be able to play it in my Animar deck due to being too broken.

Super special. I don't like the fat ape version.

I think the Moxs and swords are both downgrades. The originals had an awesome simplicity to them. Same with lotus petal. Static orb and cloudstone look great though.

I like this masterpiece version, but I also like the judge promo version with the brown border. Will probably buy a copy when the set comes out, tempted to get a box because I had good luck with the expeditions, and I just like this set in general.

New sword of light and shadow is sweet and all the gearhulks are better , maybe sol ring too and cloudstone curio i like more than the old prothean looking thing

Someone sell me on building Feldon of the Third Path.

I normally hate re animator with a passion, but Feldon looks legitimately fun as shit, is in a non degenerate color, with some cool mechanics to exploit.

Sell me on the deck, I can buy the commander deck to get some value right off the bat and build from there but what are cool wincons and strategies with this guy? Anyone know of a good primer or guide for this guy?

Actually, those might be the only two, maybe along with the new chrome mox and the sol ring, that actually like. Most of the others are either eh or bad. Crucible is almost there, but it lacks the epic scale of the original.

Hanna a best

Recently put mine back together because my new group was in desperate need of a control player.

Make 50_Masterpiece.dec

That's not Sydri

She's there.

I'll probably be putting her back together next. The problem is that my black value is really stretched thin atm.

Original foil (brown) borders are what I prefer

these aren't terrible though

I don't maybe I'm just the only guy who hates these "unique" cards. If you want to reprint a card for new players just print the damn card as normal don't make it a lottery chance. Kaladesh looks like shit to me outside of 5 cards which I have already preordered.

you get to use all of the big weird red cards that would never have a home. Tyrant of Discord? Toss it in. Spawn of Thraxes? Sure, why not. Knollspine dragon? Hell yeah.

Plus, you can do some really cool tricks to get some extra value. Sundial of the infinite lets you keep all your tokens(!), clone shell lets you cheat creatures in and works as a card advantage engine, and cards like burning inquiry and shattered perception are actually really good.

I dont really like red, but man, do i love me some feldon.

I prefer most of the new arts, but the old ones still hold their charm.

Oh shit I just built a Feldon deck and never thought to put in Clone Shell. Thanks dawg

no problem mang

Feldon is pretty cool, but most of his decks work the same - get Feldon, chuck stuff into the yard, make a copy when it's convenient.
What makes him interesting is the insane amount of variety and control you can get from what is essentially the same strategy over and over. This makes it easier to design a deck around, but also creates a single point of failure that doesn't have many ways to win without it. The upside is that it's a fairly cheap deck that features both format staples and dark horse trash commons. It functions fine in poor man mode, only geting marginally better if you really pimp it out with money cards.
There really is a lot of variety. The deck is rewarding in that once you're set up (which isn't hard) the wincon is somewhat random.
Sometimes you grind them to a halt with MLD, sometimes you just outright combo out. Sometimes you have some one-sided wipes and sometimes you just create a ton of tokens. My personal favorite is attacking with multiple It That Betrays and just assuming control of the entire boardstate.
Feldon can be a perfect example of randomness done right with cards like Gamble or Tyrant of Discord. Even more with the new Gearhulk. What happens is out of your hands, but whatever happens you get value.

I think the only ones that I don't prefer over the old ones or at least enjoy equally are Hangarback Walker, Lotus Petal, and Mind's Eye.

Commander's Arsenal Mind's Eye is the best

the new hangarback is awesome though, far better than the old.

I love that one, I prefer it myself as well.

I like the new one, but something about the design of the plating on the old one seems really cool to me.

More like feel-don, have you READ his story?
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/lorans-smile-2014-10-27
Love the writing, feels like a traditional fairy tale.

Anyway, my Feldon deck is my baby. I love the art, I love the flavor, the custom playmat is my prized possession. You can get some really good value with sac outlets, and red has some amazing steal effects. 3 of those steal effects are on ETB creatures. So you reuse and sac for value, again and again. There's also the old "oops turn 3 It That Betrays" trick.

In a meta a bit less candy-assed than my one, Feldon also can absolutely bring the land destruction. Keldon Firebombers is a scary fucker.

It's a unique deck. It isn't the strongest deck around, but there really isn't anything like it that combines interaction with graveyards and artifacts and fatties in red.

My list for your consideration.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-have-nothing-left-to-give/

Why is show and tell $20 and this guy less than a dollar?

>mfw getting off the Spell Crumple/Tunnel Vision combo against the Lazav player
Being a petty asshole never felt so good

Show and Tell only limits to 1 per player, Tempting Wurm lets everyone dump their hand and possibly give someone the win

Show and tell lets you play something, tempting wurm only lets your opponent?

Shit. Forget I said anything. I need to learn to read cards better.

>new mana crypt looks like ass

Umm please kys immediately you fucking shit taste piece of garbage

>print the damn card as normal
Ignoring the horrible state that standard would be in if they were just printed these, there is no draft environment that could survive the crazy shit they're putting in these "Lottery Cards". I'm glad they found a way to print them without shoving them in a FTV, though it is transparent and scummy.

Haha holy fuck didn't see that till just now. Thanks

I'm actually proud of WotC for being so transparent about it. They're admitting they sold way more packs just off the allure of expeditions. It's scummy and easy, but I'll take this over $10 booster sets if it means singles in new sets will be cheap as hell.

I want to play this, then play a board wipe. It'll probably only work once but I love the idea.

I've made a Jeskai All-In Chaos EDH deck, and after "ruining the card game known as magic" several times I think I need to do something else with it.

Should I try to turn it into an actual deck? (that doesn't win by causing everyone else to scoop because literally all choices they make are random) Does anyone have experience with making a Jeskai deck that uses Chaos elements but doesn't grind the game to a screeching halt?

>if it means singles in new sets will be cheap as hell.
Ah but there is the problem. It's not just the price point they have to keep down in order to not make the secondary market worth more than the packs they pedal. It's the power level of the cards that suffers most. Since this is going to be the new norm we can expect sets to only get weaker and weaker in the future. If wizards prints cards more powerful than the reprints then theres no point in them.

>I'm glad they found a way to print them without shoving them in a FTV, though it is transparent and scummy

Which is why I started playing with chinaman cards or even going more depraved and just printing out pictures of them and attaching them to basic lands.

We play with the regulars at our lgs as well

So, who here is gonna drop the dough on a masterpiece?

I'm gonna get the helm, since it'll definitely be cheap.

I need to see what the prices look like on the market before I commit to anything.

>all those signed Terese Nielsen cards
Great taste, user.

I love the inventor's fair theme of the masterpiece cards. It gives them a really upbeat vibe to the artwork. I'd almost say they're too ornate, but unless you pull one from a pack, you've probably already pimped out your deck entirely so it doesn't matter.

WotC could literally put $100 in packs, and players would find a cynical explanation for it. You're literally complaining that it's scummy of WotC to improve the product without increasing the price.

What's next, players complaining that a set has too many exciting cards? I can see the greentexts now.

>WotC openly admitted that putting some of their best work in a set sells more packs. It's pretty transparent and scummy.

I'm all for criticism that isn't vapid cynicism, but this is ridiculous.

>tfw annihilating a $5000 Wanderer deck with your mega-jank monored artifacts that doesn't even have Daretti at the helm
There is no better feeling

It's scummy because wizards is all, "look we gave you reprints, now fuck off!" instead of actually reprinting them in a way that's remotely feasible to achieve.

I have a set of FoW, too. However, I didn't own them when I got these signed. Bought them off a friend quitting magic a year later.

I stopped at a restaurant today and when I was seated, I saw one of the servers walk over to a table with a cloth and some spray and wipe down the table. I thought this was pretty scummy of them because everybody knows that clean restaurants get more business and they are just trying to make more money. I guess it's a good thing they are transparent about it.

What, you don't want to spend over $500 to get one maybe?

It feels just the tiniest bit off, since his mechanics basically consist of "doing exactly what he kind of failed to do"

That said, it's full of feels and delicious flavour.

I might have to give him a try.

That's not even remotely appropriate. We know you're a wotc shill brah

Hey /edh/

I'm thinking about going to a commander night at my LGS for the first time tonight. Apparently they have a casual league of some sort but I'm not really sure what it entails. How do these things usually work? Do you just randomly get put into a group or do you group up together with other players you choose? I'll be going in without knowing anyone so if its the latter then idk if I'll be able to play without having anyone I already know.

I like the Combustabile Gearhulk, but honestly I doubt any of the super functional ones will be cheap enough for me to bother. Maybe Lightning Greaves.

It's completely appropriate. The product was improved at no cost to the consumer relative to before the improvement, and you're trying to find some spin that makes this a bad thing.

Let's try using some basic logic here. WotC is offering their product, a pack of magic cards, for about $4. Let's say there are two scenarios.

Scenario A: WotC hands out a card worth about $100 to every 100th customer.
Scenario B: WotC hands out nothing.

You and your ilk are somehow trying to make it sound like scenario A is WotC being scummy. You could have a career at fox news.

Scenario A: WOTC hands out a fancy reprint of a 0.05 dollar card or a $400.00 card to every 144 people who give them $4 anyways
Scenario B: nothing
Scenario C: WOTC reprints popular cards in sets in which they fit thematically and without changing they're rarity, regardless of third party resellers and market price

>implying Wizards would ever do anything rational

>they're
fuck I'm stupid

Question: if I Mindslaver someone and kill their commander, is it up to me whether it goes into the graveyard or command zone?

>Fox News jab even though no one said anything about politics before

Classic deflection. You're a shill bro.

It's scummy because Wotc's reprint policy is completely fucked. I'll explain it to you.

So there's Card A. Card A is kinda hard to get and people are thirsty for its release. So we get the reprint, only it's an ultra-expensive even harder to get card at a rarity so high that it would be smarter to just buy the single. Oh wait, due to the extreme rarity of it, people say fuck it and spring for the reprint which has gone up. People clamor for Wizards to reprint it again, but wizards refuses due to MUH COLLECTOR VALUE. So now we have an expensive as fuck card and even more expensive as fuck reprint of it, with Wizards refusing to make an accessable reprint.

Example: Tarmogoyf

What's even worse is that you're defending the insane price gouging by having the audacity to call us entitled. That's classic shilling 101, deflect and insult the detractors.

>spring for the original print

my bad

Oh, so you are comparing the masterpiece change to an imaginary ideal rather than the status quo, and then holding WotC in contempt for the difference between A and C rather than A and B. That's the source of your confusion.

WotC attempted the scenario C a few times. What overwhelmingly happened was the reprints warped standard. Thoughtseize and mutavault made type 2 a worse experience.

scenario C also means we don't get new art and frames. Cosmetic enhancements are an effective way to make the game accessible. In software, this is referred to as monetizing whales. Whales will pay $X00 for their online character avatar to have lipstick or some shit, and therefore everybody who doesn't care gets to play the game for cheaper at no cost to the developer's revenue or quality of the product.

I have made a taxman pillowfort.
Any help would be appreciated.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kambals-chicken-noodle-soup-1/

I might be retarded because I just don't see what's wide-open busted about this card

You sure can. You asshole.

Works with commanders that rely on tapping for their abilities. Provides blocker or stops attack. In a pinch will save your life.

Infinite colorless mana in certain situations

It can untap itself, and tap/untap your creatures. Imagine if you have kiki jiki or king macar out.

You're not entitled, you are not to be ignored as a consumer, and nobody called you entitled. You are however, using flawed thinking.

>What's even worse is that you're defending the insane price gouging by having the audacity to call us entitled. That's classic shilling 101, deflect and insult the detractors.
If you think anybody is attacking you, you could stare at a still motionless wall and somehow hear insults from it.

>It's scummy because Wotc's reprint policy is completely fucked. I'll explain it to you.
You're going on a tangent. Stay focused and please answer one question with a yes or no. This will determine to me if it is worth continuing the discussion.

Is the masterwork series an improvement to the player's experience compared to the status quo? [yes/no]

>Magus of the Wheel came today
Oh boy more fun for Feldon

My Magus of the Moat came today.

More fun for my Avacyn deck.

>Guy has recently taken to building decks designed specifically to fuck over my own

will he at least draft it

please tell me he will try and get some value out of it

please

That's a negative there cap'n

Slap some sense into him

At least entertain the practice of building a sealed deck.

Something, I beg you.

I have tried

He likes "adding to his collection" even though he never builds with 95% of it because it's almost all garbage

Any Godo players here? What's the best way to speed him up? 6CMC seems like a lot for something that doesn't come with built-in protection, but he looks like a pretty baller guy. I want to power him out ASAP and cheat in Sword of the Animist because he will likely die very quickly.

I pre-ordered a box, and I am Going to open 3 packs for myself, then draft with the rest. That's the plan.

wait wtf there are 2 chandras in kaladesh

>Is the masterwork series an improvement to the player's experience compared to the status quo? [yes/no]

I was going to answer you, then you went and said

>This will determine to me if it is worth continuing the discussion.

>B-but it will hurt an imaginary format no one actually plays and we have to pay people to play competitively!

Tell him to draft it, but keep all the cards post-draft.

Yep, same with the green cunt Nissa. Enjoy your new epic card game user.

One is from the set, one is from the intro decks for newbies. Guess which one comes in packs. It's the good one.

They're in intro packs now I think

wait why wtf please no

You sometimes can't have a basic discussion without a few basic agreements in place. You can't have a meaningful discussion about math with somebody that thinks 2+2=3.

>most popular format isn't played

The bad ones are in Planeswalker packs which replace the intro-packs. They are standard legal but not very good. You'll never pull them from a pack though.

Something to do with intro packs or something, idk. It's some stupid half baked idea to get rid of the core sets in favor of precons with a fancy card on the outside. I truly think it's a bad idea because experienced players will know to avoid that mess and new players will feel ripped off when they find out they've been suckered in by flashy sub par cards.

I always wanted a Curio for my Animar, but super duper reprint... The art's beautiful tho

Fast mana

Fast mana is bullshit and should be abused in mono-red as often as possible

>only format they put on camera
>only format they build and balance for
>only format that's even remotely affordable
>only format they ever reference unless they're releasing some one in a million chance chase card with worse odds than playing scratch offs.
Gee I wonder why