/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Previously on /5eg/:
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Session:
How did the last TPK go for you, /5eg/?

>How did the last TPK go for you, /5eg/?
Our party were all reincarnated by a nearby druid camp.
He was an odd guy - we all ended up as one of these. I didn't even know you could control reincarnate.

Beast masters are the new best.

>Whenever you gain the Ability Score Improvement class feature, your companion’s abilities also improve. Your companion can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or it can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, your companion can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature unless its description specifies otherwise.
Does this mean any class level or ranger levels?

This thread is filled with faggots. Between liking the worst aspects of a ranger and shitting on any warlock entering melee ever, I want to get my collective (you) out there early.

Still haven't had one after severals years and a couple editions of DMing. I have killed players so I'm not exactly holding back. I like to think I induced the right amount of paranoia in players that they prepare well.

>Does this mean any class level or ranger levels?
Ranger levels if the ruling on warlock invocations sets a precedent.

Oh, yes, there are some things that haven't changed, but I don't think ranger was too much like a rogue before.
Though do note it has always been a dex-based class, even if you have the option of using strength.

>uncanny dodge
>evasion
Both are rogue abilities.
Then, things they've added:
>advantage on initiatives
Barbarian ability
>advantage against anyone who has not had a turn yet
Assassin rogue ability
>vanish, fleet of foot
Rogue ability, except worse.
>feral senses
Kind of like the rogue's 'Blindsense' ability.
>start with an extra skill
Kind of like rogue, but worse.
>iron mind
Rogue's ability, 'slippery mind'.

It's okay to take other class abilities, but I feel it's taking from rogue a bit more than it should. It needs more things unique to ranger. They did actually put forth a bunch of interesting abilities and the changes to favoured enemy and such is nice.
But, it feels very much to rogue like wizard feels to sorcerer.

All of that stuff except advantage on initiative and fleet of foot were already on the ranger in the PHB. It's kinda late to complain about those things existing.

Yeah, I formatted that wront with the 'things they've added'

Iron mind wasn't there before.
Fleet of foot wasn't.
Advantage on initiative.
Advantage on anyone who hasn't had a turn yet.

So that's four things added.
Three of which are from rogue, when there's already other abilities stolen from rogue.

I wouldn't say it's too late to complain.

Are Already Dead

>Iron mind wasn't there before.
that actually was there in the UA that introduced the Deep Stalker awhile ago

I don't know who you were talking to or what your conversation went like, but warlocks should not enter melee ever.

Maybe not care so much about what /5eg/ thinks and do what you want.
It's not like anything said here really has to impact your own game after all.

I don't give casters a choice. I will chase their asses around the battlefield if they don't position well or fall into an ambush.

I don't see anything wrong with this.
>mfw trying to sneak cat girls into an adventurers league game

>Advantage on anyone who hasn't had a turn yet.
>Three of which are from rogue.
You mean Assassins.

That's fine. They didn't enter melee in that case. Melee entered them. Their priority should always be to leave, because warlocks suck dick in melee.

>not being a 2h goliath warlock

That's when the PAM blade warlock was a solid choice before sage advice ruled that War Caster didn't combo with PAM to let the warlock push the attacker away before it got close.

>having a 15 or less AC with a d8 hit die with no defensive abilities whatsoever
ITE BRUH

Or, alternatively, you can misty step/dimension door, EB them in melee with crossbow expert, or disengage and leave melee ^_^

Any levels. Every class has the ability score improvement feature, and the rule in question doesn't specify a class. Hi

That's not stuff you can do as a reaction before they even get a hit.

>another bladelock shitflinging session

People get so buttmad - it's hilarious.
HEY BROS
BLADE IS THE WORST PACT OPTION - NEWS AT 11!

Suboptimal overcosted gimmick that RAI doesn't even work.

Hey all I had a question. A friend of mine is playing to start an online 5E campaign. I have some questions and a bit of a request. Does anyone have the PDF's to all of the 5E complete books aside from the PBH? Also, I haven't kept my eyes on it but what's wrong with Ranger? Mind you I haven't kept tabs on 5E as I prefer Pathfinder or Good Ol' 3.5

It's too hard to admit that blade warlock can be fun even if it's not an option that should be recommended to anyone trying to make a strong character. "Just so you know, you're picking a very hard option to play, proceed at your own risk," isn't a reasonable position.

I'm aware.

OP link.

Core ranger was not/isn't very good. New UA makes it much better.

You can play a commoner and have fun.
All you nerds do is strawman - no one is saying you can't do x. People are saying x is mechanically shit *because it is*.

Be V.Human with Moderately Armoured and Armour of Shadows and 16 dex and buy a shield. Bamm you have 18 AC.

Maybe also go tomelock with shillelagh

>no defensive abilities whatsoever
ok

Is 5 levels in UA beastmaster for an extra 4d4+(proficiency*2)+10 damage the best way to go now on any martial?

Quarterstaff doesn't have the reach of a glaive to prevent things from getting close enough to apply disadvantage to Eldritch Blast.

Also sage advice ruled that PAM and War Caster don't work together so it doesn't matter. The combo was that PAM would give an opportunity attack and War Caster would let it be Eldritch Blast to take advantage of Repelling Blast. Shillelagh and AC wouldn't come into play.

Also LOL @ taking an armor feat. I'm not the one saying warlocks should never be in melee but I wouldn't consider an armor feat. Just multiclass something with plate if you're going to go that far.

You have uncanny dodge? Rage damage resistance? Evasion? Something to boost your AC? The best thing you get is spells that give you temp hp (and not very much of it) as full fucking actions, spells that take you away from melee (because you should never be in melee ;) ), and possibly patron features.
You are literally second only to sorcerer in laco of defensive options, and even then only barely second.

Multiclassing will make the companion have the same problem as the PHB Beast Master. It won't keep up on HP and it will die too easily.

Sorcerers have access to Shield and Absorb Elements. Those are better than everything the warlock gets for defenses.

FAQ gives you some options even if your DM is a faggot senpai.
Fight on.

I'm almost ninety percent sure it's one troll who actually frequently responds to himself just to clog up the entire thread.

So you admit to being a troll then?
Talking about a subject just to get people angry?
At least you're up-front about it.

Warlocks already had proficiency with quarterstaves, so they didn't need to go blade warlock to use PAM.

As far as I know PAM does work with War Caster, only that the cantrip you use has to use the polearm (See: GFB/BB)

You could do sentinel + PAM on bladelock instead, or something.

Cool shit I can do as a moon druid? Besides turning into animals and eating peoples faces off and sneaking around?

Can y'all gimme your opion of 5e multiclassing?

Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Honestly, warlocks are probably the most vulnerable in the game if they aren't using things like darkness + devil's sight and fucking the rest of their party over.

It's not about PAM alone, it's about the reach the glaive gives. The quarterstaff doesn't stop something from getting within 5 feet of you, meaning it still gets to attack you. The glaive combo would trigger the reaction before the enemy reached you unless it had a 10 ft. or greater reach, meaning you might waste the creature's entire turn and not let it attack.

I think the bonuses of the features from fiend pact in particular give warlocks more beef than sorcerers.
A draconic sorcerer vs a fiend lock, I think the fiend lock can take more of a beating.

All I do is speak the truth. That simple facts make you incredibly salty is only icing on the cake senpai~

I think they're slightly better off than sorcerers, at least if you're fiend, and probably if you're fey.

It's decent as long as you don't go too MAD. Does a good job of expanding your variety of abilities without increasing your direct power, save for a few combinations.

Indifferent. You can make some fun combos but most aren't as good as being single-classed.

Shield will turn so many hits into misses that it will outweigh the fiend benefits. I've seen it in play over a long campaign.

Usually bad. Sometimes nice.
I think, for instance, that you should never bother going past 14 in paladin. Just go sorcerer for the rest, or warlock if that suits your fancy.

Why are you not making your next character a Beastmaster Ranger with an Ape companion? He's literally a little babby PC. He has great stats, can throw rocks and be a babby ranger just like you. He already has two skills, so he can pick up something crazy and give your DM a headache when you argue that a Monkey could operate a Healer's Kit as long as you take Medicine.

You can even be the party rogue by giving him sleight of hand and have him grab wallets while people are in line.

There is really infinite potential when you and your monkey team up.

All of my 1st level spellslots on my sorcerer get used on shield, but fiends get Cha + level temp hp *every* time they drop something. They also can get resistance to any damage type they want, including b/p/s.
I think that would beat out shields in the long run, especially given the things that usually end up threatening back-line-casters don't even target AC.

Because I'm too busy making a beast ranger with a wolf companion that uses a greatsword.

death house, players got all the way to the end, beat the boss, went upstairs, panicked, all died. It was glorious.

That never worked and hose that thought it did were retarded munchkins.

I'd go far enough for Destructive Wave.

Difference in campaign style then. I don't put the all the enemies on one side of the map and make them easy to dodge.

Think about getting absorb elements for those non-AC things. Cutting dragon breaths in half is going to save a lot of HP.

Depends.
If you choose bad combinations, it's inefficient.
Sometimes, it's okay.

If you're a caster, you lose out HEAVILY on late-game potential.

If you're a warlock, you probably lose out less than other casters as Eldritch Blast keeps scaling but you still miss out on late-game spells such as foresight.

Martials are generally okay with multi-classing. Rogue is great to multi-class into if you use finesse weapons and your main martial class already gave you extra attack.
Some martials are slightly inefficient to multiclass into up to 5 as they both get extra attack which won't stack.

Barbarian can be good for the damage resistance, rogue gives cunning action, uncanny dodge and more utility and damage even if your class doesn't grant you more extra attacks. Paladin has a powerful level 6 or level 7 feature, fighter is sometimes a nice pick for action surge and picking up proficiencies/fighting style.

Early game, some casters benefit greatly from better armour.
Late game it probably doesn't matter a lot.
Casters should be a little wary of multiclassing.

Sorcerers have shield and many spellslots to use shield.
They have AC 13+dex. They have effectively 1d8 HP. They can give themselves resistance to their element.
I suppose I'd say wizards with certain set-ups and wild mage sorcerers are in fact more squishy, but a draconic sorcerer is probably better off if only due to having shield. .. And getting to fly later on out of melee combat range.

We've established that, faggot. Keep up with the thread you simpleton. The discussion is about why the quarterstaff + Sentinel combo isn't nearly as good as the glaive + War Caster combo was thought to be.

>>having a 15 or less AC with a d8 hit die with no defensive abilities whatsoever
>having 8 HP per level as goliath plus 1d12 damage reduction plus additional HP from false life
>thinking you need AC
wew

I hate monkeys, that's why.
If I make a beastmaster ranger now that this UA is out, I'll be making one with a giant crab as the companion.

I don't think destructive wave is worth the stuff you can pick up from sorcerer, like metamagic and haste on top of higher level spell slots.

I'd still think fiend warlocks would beat out draconic sorcerers in the long run in most games on tankiness. But I find it funny that people are actually trying to argue that warlocks are not just the second worst class on defense, but actually *the* worst. I like you guys.

top tier taste

Mostly indifferent.
Some builds really benefit from it. For instance, you can almost always give up the last level of Bard for something better for support. 1st level of cleric is pretty nice.
In general just be mindful of what perks the last few levels of your class give you and try to think in terms of what scales well

>bonus points if you call your monkey thief Tyler from the Bronx Tribe and have his second proficiency be in performance poetry.

>thinking your full-action-to-cast minor temp hp buff is going to keep you alive in a melee with shit AC and not-great base hp in any extended fight
wew lad

>thinking you should even have a fight lasting more than 3 rounds

Opinion of multiclassing as a cleric?
What would you multiclass into if at all?

Doesn't make me salty, it just makes you a troll, by definition. You don't need to lie to be a troll, you just need to say stuff that stirs up shit for no other reason then to stir up shit.

Pretty simple really.

>not wanting 35 HP + 15(17) AC
wew lad

Why are we playing 3.5?

I don't stir up shit. You get triggered by facts. Not only do you get triggered by facts, but you get *so* triggered that you constantly bring it up and bitch about it thread after thread. Well m8, I'm happy to keep repeating the facts to you! ^_^

But I can be a bearbarian and quadruple that tho

Maintain concentration by taking con prof and warcaster, then picking your flavor of bear.
Have people ride you.
Climbing walls, maybe with people riding you.
Track things with smell, or other senses.
See in darkness with blind sight.
Web people to end a fight non lethally.
Poison people to end a fight non lethally.
Harvest your own poison.
Mingle with other animals naturally.
Make use of variant animals like Diseased Giant Rats to do even more shit your DM doesn't want you to do like contract diseases, or harvest them for later.
Free ink when you splooge into a vial as an Octopus.
Make money when you sell a rare animal to an aristocrat, then shift into a spider and skitter away in the night.
Survive the elemental planes as an elemental.

>Why are we playing 3.5?
I thought this was 5E, where encounters don't last more than 3 rounds unless some nerds in your party aren't actually doing damage

The 1d8 damage works well with BB/GFB but honestly cleric is something casters take a 1 level dip into for armour rather than being a class that dips out.

Clerics are liable to be a bit MAD if they're not careful how they multiclass out.

If you want to multi-class, I'd recommend going paladin instead of cleric and then multiclassing once you're level 7 or so.

>5e
>encounters not lasting more than 3 rounds
Wat.
What kind of fucked up game are you playing?

>But I can be a bearbarian and quadruple that tho
Double, and you can't cast spells.

>I don't think destructive wave is worth the stuff you can pick up from sorcerer, like metamagic and haste on top of higher level spell slots.

More slots I can see the argument for. It will take several turns for Haste to equal the damage output of Destructive Wave, and that's not even factoring in the advantage that party members will gain from the enemies Destructive Wave knocks prone.

The multiclass makes sense but I don't think straight paladin is as pointless as you claim.

Some people have DMs who think it's epic to throw a single high HP enemy at a group of cantrip-obsessed multiclassed casters and old beastmaster rangers.

You can cast one spell bruh - you used your other on 15 temp hp ;)

yeah, just multiclass fighter, grab the great weapon proficiency

>if everyone does at least 8-10 damage per round
>a party of 6 deals probably average 40 points per round at low levels, even lowballing the number
>even higher than normal CR creatures don't have nearly enough hit points to survive a party that has an average 75% hit rate and above average damage
but muh minmax and muh battles of attrition

>nerds who don't know about at-will false life

It doesn't actually take all that terribly long to beat out the damage in most combat scenarios, given you're adding improved divine smite. You also get the amazing defensive boosts of haste, and can twin it onto an ally to boots their damage and defenses by a decent margin as well. I don't think it's pointless, I just don't think it's as worth it as the multiclass.

At will false life is cast as a level one spell ;)

Using my pic from the last thread, because I'm too busy making a Beastmaster Ranger with a mule companion who saved his live. He's on a epic quest to save up for a wish spell to make his mule's dick work.

I wish my DM did longer battles.

Too often I find myself taking a turn to buff the party and then either the combat ends prematurely because I expected a proper fight.

What sort of neat shit have you done as a Rogue?

If mules had better base stats I'd totally run one.
But their base stats are pretty bad.

DM's are still in the 3.5 mindset for encounters. They don't realize just how much shit a party can actually handle in 5e, and how you can make really tough and engaging battles if you set up your areas and antagonists right.

Destructive Wave is worth as many targets as it hits. Average 35 x number of targets, plus prone for your allies to more easily land melee attacks. It's not always better than Haste and Haste isn't always better.

14 is an interesting exit point for paladin. Why not 11? You'd have a whole lot more sorcery points to quicken spells and even more slots. You would get aoes that could surpass destructive wave for the times they would be useful.

I'm not actually one of the guys you're arguing with; it's pretty definitive that Blade Pact Warlocks have a lot of mechanical difficulty and aren't as good as the other Pacts in quite a few ways.
That's not only evident in pointless masturbatory theorycrafting, it's evident in actual play, thus there's not any real point in arguing the subject from my point of view.
However, you ARE a troll nonetheless because you share an identical standpoint with me but respond exclusively insultingly to get specific responses which amuse you. It's actually not a bad thing I suppose. You aren't breaking any rules except one of the many Veeky Forums never actually enforces, so you aren't really doing anything wrong per-say. The only way you even MIGHT get any at all is if everyone in the thread reported all of your posts at once, which of course means there's no real consequences because no one will do that.

When everyone in a group collectively agrees there's no punishment for a certain type of behavior that they negatively perceive then they don't get to complain that someone behaves in that fashion, as they waived the right by making a choice.

>Fiendish Vigor
>You can cast -false life- on yourself at-will as a first-level spell without expending a spell slot or material components
I mean if you want to complain about it being a first-level spell (1d4+4 THP):
>Effectively raises Warlock's HP by 8
>Effectively gives Warlock an out of combat Second Wind that's usable after every battle, not just short rests
>Warlock still has 2 spell slots per short rest since slots aren't used
but please keep memeing at me senpai, i love the (you)'s

I don't do long fights because even running a 1 minute timer on PC turns with 6 players can make a 3 round combat last awhile.

11 is a stopping point too. Usually in most games I'm going to at least stick it out through 12 though for the ABI though, since paladin is fairly MAD. And if I'm going to 12, I feel like I should just stick it out for cleansing touch since it's actually amazing.
I don't think AoE is all that integral or terribly important to a paladin build - casters and rangers can pretty much hold the AoE down.

Or, alternatively, I could just KO something as a fiend, which takes no action and gives more temp hp after not very long at all ;)

I'm DMing a campaign for my group, and we have a session tomorrow, and I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do.

They're halfway through an adventure rescuing a dwarf innkeeper's wife, and I've been trying to keep them occupied with terrible puns while I figure out the third act. Last week I couldn't think of any names for enemies so I had to use the Wu-Tang Clan Name Generator. They wound up fighting Foolish Prophet, Tuff Genius, and Vizual Magician.

I'm rapidly running out of time. Can anybody give me a shitty, ridiculous climax to capstone the shitty, ridiculous plot I've been crawling along in? I haven't even told them who the villain is or why he took the wife. I'm so fucking desperate.

Also if you want to be extra hilarious you learn Armor of Agathys and wade in combat with the goliath damage reduction and let people kill themselves on your enhanced thorns damage. Take Pact of the Fiend for extra shenanigans at higher levels.

In my games we speed through combats. When everybody is prepared on the math and belts out their dice and actions quickly, it goes very fast.

>Or, alternatively, I could just KO something as a fiend, which takes no action and gives more temp hp after not very long at all ;)
Or, alternatively, you can be a fiend melee warlock and get false-life THP plus fiend THP when those run out from the first hit you take.

They're actually aliens, part of the illuminati. The wife found out their secret, so they're going to brainwash her to forget it.

Jesus there's a bunch of retards on this thread. Can't spot a troll with a neon sign above their head.

It was all a ruse, and the dwarf innkeeper had his wife killed because he couldn't stand her cooking or her nagging. Your adventuring party is the convenient investigators who will be viciously slain by some made-up monster in order to cover his tracks. After all, once a team of adventurers goes out looking for her and never comes back, who would dare keep looking?

tl;dr make everything on the final floor of the dungeon a mimic

>+7 hp
>"Woah I'm a tank now!"

Reminds me of a situation from my last session.

I'm running an encounter with 10 enemies and 1 big boss major NPC the group probably shouldn't be able to handle without losses or a retreated. The group came up with a decent plan to get an ambush by feather falling off the top of a building. They get a surprise round. The wizard uses Cone of Cold and the tempest cleric uses Channel Divinity Destructive Wave. Their aoes took out 7 of the 10 non-boss enemies. The bard, who also had Destructive Wave, used Hold Person on the boss, which he used legendary resistance to escape. The fighter went after the boss instead of trying to mop up the heavily injured remaining mooks. The enemies got their turn, and the remaining mooks plus the boss dropped the cleric, and I'm thinking this whole thing would have worked out if the bard had just tossed a third aoe into the mix.

Time traveling wizards and kidnapping her to stop her from committing a horrible act that ends the world.

The PCs catch them in the middle of their time travel spell, and have to save themselves from being assassinated by the Wizards in the past, so the PCs never stop them in the first place.