Setting slang and language

Share some fun slang terms you've either thought up for your games, or like from other media.

I'll start with some of my own for near future science fiction settings:

>Mars colonists
Arnold: Used to refer to dead bodies that are the result of atmosphere exposure. Originally a Total Recall reference that caught on. "The explosion blew a hole right through the habitat. There were arnolds everywhere."

(derogatory, used to refer to Martians) Finches: Martians overall have a poorer bone density than their higher gravity counterparts. In addition, in the past there were various periods of time where farm equipment failure lead Martian nutrition to be severely lacking giving Martians shorter heights on average.

Because of the ever present danger of a leak in a colony sounding like a hiss, Martians have dropped any sound similar to a hiss out of their accent over the years.

>Venus colonists
(derogatory, used to refer to Venusians) Twigs: As with Mars, food is more expensive on Venus than it is on Earth and efficiency is a positive characteristic in both cultures, but unlike Martians Venusians have an ever present fear of too much weight as every Venus colony relies on buoyancy for survival. Because of this some Venusians take the elimination of unnecessary personal weight as a goal to strive for, at a rate much higher than on Earth and Mars.

Melt: A term originally used to refer to someone that sustains acid burns, but now a catch-all term used to replace words like "idiot", "moron", or "foolhardy". This is because every Venusian wears a thin skintight under-suit to protect them from any acid burns in the event of a hull break, it is extremely difficult for skin to come in contact acid with a suit available, so many people who suffer from acid burns are assumed to have forgot to put on their suit in the morning. "Look at this fucking melt, he's trying to light a fire outside."

You sound autistic.

I love that sort of worldbuilding. It's usually helps getting into character, too. The post-apocalypse game I'm currently in have a lot of setting-specific slang. It's all swedish tho so not much point to post it here.

You know what 'nerd' slang I hate, absolutely despise? 'Grok'. The only people who use this 'word' are tryhard turbo-autists.

>attention to detail in worldbuilding is something to be derided

Some people like taking a little extra time to pad out their stuff, user.

> 'Grok'.

As in the slang that it used in Judge Dredd comics, or the Robert Heinlein slang?

The latter.

That's funny, "melter" is slang for an annoying person near where I live.

You could also use twig to refer to Belters, who're taller cause of the lower gravity out in the belt

See, that seems less Autistic, and more...like, Scifi hippie.

Still annoying af, though

It was on some RPG podcast I kept hearing some annoying woman use it repeatedly in several episodes. The whole group became steadily more cancerous so I dropped it. Still retain the annoyance response to it.

you sound like you have an uninteresting, inorganic setting

I use "Junker" in cyberpunk 2020 or games with augmentations to mean someone who has old, outdated cybernetics. Ratz from Neuromancer would be a Junker.

>Because of the ever present danger of a leak in a colony sounding like a hiss, Martians have dropped any sound similar to a hiss out of their accent over the years.

I really like this.

Every follower of different deities had some sort of derogatory term for their groups. Blind for the God of Light, Tool for the God of Craft etc

>Tool for the God of Craft
ha

Favorite by far is Keebler for Elves

YES

Other people have already made fun of you, so this is the best I can give.

Agreed. Hearing it in the real world is just shouting "LOOK AT ME, DID ANYONE GET THAT REFERENCE I JUST MADE?"

What would be some terms for colonists living on Saturn's moons? I feel like you could get somewhere with either a refrence to Saturn's radio emissions or the would be wide scale miniguns operations.

Mining not miniguns, fuck autocorrct

>Agreed. Hearing it in the real world is just shouting "LOOK AT ME, DID ANYONE GET THAT REFERENCE I JUST MADE?"

I only slightly disagree.

My friend used it on (towards?) me once, and that's because I was being a derpy asshole and couldn't understand a very simple rule after having it explained to me 3 times.

"No. Rolling a 20 in this case is NOT good, for the last fucking time! The LOWER your roll, the BETTER. Do you grok it, son?"

And he only used the term because we were talking Heinlein earlier that day.

you must be fun to game with
>"Your ship gently comes to rest against the cold steel of the dock, and you-"
>"JUST SHUT UP AND LET ME KILL THINGS ALREADY!"

>Wicks
Used as an insult for a race of zombie-like beings in my setting. The insult is a reference to how the preservative the creatures sweat to preserve their host catches fire very easily.

It's different than when someone uses it around strangers.

That's not a bad idea. It's a cool bit of setting info that distinguishes Earth from Mars, as well as making your setting feel unique.