MTG masterpieces

What does Veeky Forums think of MTG’s Masterpieces?

1 always foil reprint out of 144 packs. (well 1:2, 160)

Specifics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/masterpiece-series-2016-09-12

Current list
gatheringmagic.com/alexullman-news-091216-introducing-the-masterpiece-series/

Will this help fix some of the lack or reprints?
Do you think the prices will slowly go down or bump up once the pack poping slow?

>Will this help fix some of the lack or reprints?
Fuck no
>Do you think the prices will slowly go down or bump up once the pack poping slow?
I think prices will essentially stay the same. These aren't easy to obtain reprints which usually lower value. These are probably going to be the rarest prints of specific cards.

>we need to make money
>regardless of how shitty rhe actual set is

It's gross.

it seems like they're pretty confident in kaladesh and fans are excited about it. it's all benefit, with legacy and standard being a little cheaper

I'm hype. They've reprinted manacrypt twice and it hasn't changed price. Eventually idiots will recognize the subtle proliferation of reprints, which will result in the prices for things tanking. I would fucking hate to crack those lightning greaves though, and that sol ring is going to be worth $100.

>a company trying to make money is a bad thing
>much needed reprints, albeit extremely rare, are present
Wizards has already said that a card appearing as a masterpiece doesnt rule out its chance of being reprinted later, this is just fancy face-lift until the time comes.
What's gross?

see i agree with you.
Besides a few idiots thinking they'll strike gold the set will sell the same as any other.

Compare the Expeditions. Let's use Godless Shrine as an example.

When the Expeditions previewed, the presale price was about $150. People actually got their hands on the cards at prereleases and they were selling for about $120. As the glamor wore off and people started opening more of them, they sunk down to $60 at their lowest. Now they're holding at around $80.

The prices are very likely to do the same here, since even the Oath expeditions followed similar patterns. There's very likely to be a low point that you should buy at, but it might be hard to pinpoint exactly. However, missing out on the low point and buying them once they've stabilized will very likely still be cheaper than buying one while the hype train is still running.

>regardless of how shitty rhe actual set is

People were liking Kaladesh before the Masterpieces were spoiled though. It's got a rare cycle of worthwhile lands too, and considering their allied colored contemporaries all see play to some degree, there's value spread pretty thoroughly throughout.

Based on presales, the worst ones to open will be the Gearhulks. People are already prepurchasing Greaves.

That's because no one has used the Gearhulks. That red one is underrated, let me tell you.

Also, I just don't like what it looks like. Stupid ugly greaves looking stupid and ugly.

The color is a little too orange.

i think they were going for the mythic symbol look.

They couldn't make it too red or too gold. Making it silver wouldn't have meshed with Kaladesh's aesthetic, and going back to classic brown artifacts wouldn't have showed off the glamor they were going for.

There was really only one option and they went with it.

Look cool, I'd be happy if I pulled one, but definitely not worth it to me to drop the dosh to buy one.

same.

That's pretty much all Masterpiece cards in a nutshell for us non collectors/mac daddys.

By the way, why the hell did they decide to call all of these cards the Masterpiece series anyways? Expeditions certainly don't feel like a great work of any kind, they're just plots of land.

Masterpiece series is the name of them as a whole, as in every set from now on, the ones from this block are called inventions

Also plots of land?? These are all artifacts you mong, and an artifact being a masterpiece makes sense even though it doesn't have to as the

all that needs to make sense is the invention part which makes perfect sense

Expeditions are not artifacts, they're all lands. Don't call me a mongoloid if you can't even read two sentences in a coherent manner. Masterpiece certainly does fit for Inventions I agree, but not so much for Expeditions.

They retroactively included Expeditions in the Masterpiece series. So they're Masterpiece: Expeditions the same way these are Masterpiece: Inventions. That's what they obviously meant by "plots of land".

Maybe they mean masterpieces of internal design or popularity.

Or hey some places in the world are like natural works of art, if you think some of the more beautiful spots out there can't be considered for the title masterpiece then get the FUCK outta my face.

Expeditions are now retroactively being called "Masterpieces: Expeditions" while these are "Masterpieces: Inventions". Amonkhet will have "Masterpieces: WEWUZ" or something else.

Why are you telling me this like I don't already know that?

Sorry, I didn't see the word expeditions and even then it doesn't change my fucking point

The physical card is the masterpiece, what it depicts is an expedition, why is this so hard to understand

A masterpiece kind of by definition has to be made by someone. The Grand Canyon is not a masterpiece just because people think it's pretty. It's probably just referring to the art, damn Wizards tooting their own horn even though a majority of the Expeditions look like shit.

It's not hard to understand, your first post was just fairly condescending and you're still acting unnecessarily aggressive.

Refer to

I would approve of this if the masterpiece series had the "old boarder" frame, as it is, this will just result in a new 'new order'-dilemma were wotc appologizes to the newbs for printing cards with 10+ frames. And I bet we will see more confused players/commenatators trying to figure out what card a player has just played. I think it's a bad idea doing it with different frames and I bet most pimpplayers would agree and prefer the unity of an old boarder foiled deck.

There's no way people are going to be playing with these kinds of cards enough to confuse new players, and if they play Standard now they'll just know "oh, it's one of those money cards" and move on. It's not like they're making purple bordered cards yet.

Honestly, it's cool, the art on some of them is awesome and it's a nice thing to get if you want to pimp out your decks.

however, if they use this as an excuse to not print certain cards at normal rarity again they can go fuck themselves.

This is already a problem with people playing old editions of recently printed cards, full art Cryptic Commands, and foreign cards.