Miniature Wars V2

>Current (decaying) king of all mini wargames
>Best detailed miniatures for the new stuff
>Worst rules. Absolutely no balance.
>Decades of fluff, very cool setting

X-Wing
>Strong dark horse, Might be the one to unseat both GW and warmahordes
>Reasonably detailed miniatures. Prepainted, so its a plus.
>Very simple, yet very strong rules. Not as combo-rific as warmahordes, but there are still plenty of combos, imperial aces, fat han, brobots. Very fun. Balanced if you combo-up

Infinity
>First in line to the sci-fi throne
>Interesting and solid ruleset. Unforgiving but not very list dependent.
>Extremely good, highly detailed miniatures. Would be king, if not for lack of large centrepiece models, and wonky older stuff
>Fluff is only more interesting on the AI/aliens side. 'murica VS China factions are lame.

Warmahordes
>First in line to mini wargaming throne
>Sub-par models. Poor details, poor design (tiny jack legs), no clear boundaries for colour separation. Cool beasts though.
>Possibly best rules? Its almost MtG in mini form. Very unforgiving. MK3 has made it possibly the best balanced miniwargame. Lots of fun and interesting combos.
>Poor fluff. Basically post-9/11 murica permanently in post 9/11 mode VS muslims, russians, Chinese, undead, demons, left wing hippies. Entire fluff is centered around 2 mary sues from 'murica (stryker and hayley)

AoS
>Inciter of nerd rage
>Solid ruleset, especially after GHB. Surprisingly balance is ok.
>Best detailed miniatures (along with 40k)
>Amazing centrepiece models
>Fluff is ok, but incites nerd rage due to WHFB kill

AoW/9th age/WHFB pretenders
>Zombie king
>3rd party smattering of miniatures from all over
>Rules are what the players like, but is very crunchy. Will not attract new blood
>Decades of fluff. Too bad the old world died.

Battletech
>Ghost king. Was king when it first came out, then died straight away.
>Worst miniatures, period. It was bad in 1970, and it hasn't changed one iota. Illegal stuff is much better. Legal stuff is literally pewter turds.
>Extremely crunchy ruleset, almost a simulator. People use the rules to bitch about MWO more than to play the game. Extremely daunting and unappealing to new blood.
>Worst fluff. mary sue 'murica beating up Chinese people, Japanese people and assorted Asians. Later become 'murica beating up communist negros (CSJ), communist red indians (CJF) while the scandanavian-red indians get absorbed in. Very 1970s centric, very racist, very out of touch. Its like something your drunk, redneck, racist uncle will come up with.
>80s wargame about the 70s, stuck in a mindset and mini style that is 30 years old.

Disclaimer: I'm sorry about how many of the ex. WHFB players feel about AoS, but I try to be as neutral as possible. I agree a few models are bad, like wrathmongers and fireslayers, but the vast majority is really the new GW standard, and they have got that going for them. Just look at the new sylvaneth range. Asthetic is one thing, but their detail is unbeatable.

Main Rules are very basic, but warscrolls gives it much more depth, so the game really is driven by unit special rules. Balance is good, because the game is simple, and currently small. I know a lot of you remember the glory days of the 6th, but lots of us remember the terrible days of 8th with its unbeatable daemon army, elf rampage, and terrible unbalance.

Fluff is OK, and by that, I mean it's mediocre. Very generic fantasy, but not horrible. By horrible, I mean battletech horrible. It's like a general fantasy novel you fish out of the bargain bin, it's not wheel of time, but at least it's not twilight.

Also, someone do Malifaux writeup please.

Should we lump small contenders into the mix? We've for Malifaux, everything Spartan Games does, Imperial Assault is pretty popular, old and niche ones like Full Thrust...

Actually, I find it odd that Battletech is in this list. It does have a consistent General thread, so I suppose this list is more reflecting Veeky Forums's resident game Generals, so that's less odd.

Oooh, oooh, can I play? I just got plastics and everything!

Oh heavy gear, you are too pure for this world

Still full retard. Or full Sigmar. They mean the same thing.

You know, the marines in that pic are actually more realistic than the models they're being compared to. I find that pretty hilarious that 40k actually wins in the realism department ever when compared with another setting.

We should make this a general OP must be a sociopath

So back onto the topic of Guildball why do some many of you guys like? Seems cheap enough and the Fishermen look pretty cool.

>Prepainted, so its a plus.

So the hobby is non-existant? Or is buying shit the hobby? Pre-painted fucking sucks.

Game is just fun, its easy to pick up you'll be playing in minutes but there is a ton of depth and I think its the perfect balance between skill and dice rolls. You can try it out totally free, the rules are all online and they even offer little paper cut outs of the players so you don't have to buy models to begin. It is very inexpensive compared to other mini games and you can travel with your whole team in a tissue box.

The fishermen to me are the best looking team visually and a lot of fun if you like weaving and scoring rather than all out killing.

They just need a 2 player starter box

Infinity should be like XCOM the game. Lol-randum crits and missing 90% shots et al.

FFG gets them done very well. They don't have facial features and stuff to futz with so we don't end up with WizKids-level googly-eyes miniatures. Paint goes on pretty thin and slick, and I've yet to see a deformed model in the package.

Doesn't mean there's not a hobby. People make a habit of painting their favorite ace's custom color scheme onto their ships, modding their S-foils to be able to close, and visually representing certain common weapon and equipment options on their ship's hulls. Also painting pinup girls.

Pretty obvious you are an infinity player.

>being to autistic to paint over the prepaints.

>being assblasted over someone's opinion on which is the best toy army game.

DP9 is shit, and one reason why people avoid this game like the goddamn plague.

>Pretty obvious you are an infinity player.
OP here, I play or have played/tried them all at one point or another, but I play X wing most. Fly casual is a great motto, you get the best crowd, not too hardcore so you don't get your typical neckbeards, but competitive enough, due to ease of entry. Simple to learn, but very deep. It's a very good balance.

I like warmahordes significantly more than infinity for play style, but their models are too horrid for me to stomach. I'd rather play warmahordes than infinity at my LGS, but the models has permanently put me off buying anything from them. It's really sad, because their ruleset is really the best and most interesting to me, but the entire game is marred by a glaring, ugly flaw.

Infinity is OK. I'd play games here and there, if I'm bored and in the area. I like painting their models more than anything. I won't make time to play infinity though. Rather play X wing.

I've quit 40k after a turn 3 tabling by double wraithknight scatbike spam. Played since the tail end of 2nd.

I've tried AOS, and liked it. Haven't bought anything other than some khorne lord guy just to paint.

Tried WHFB too, here and there. Used to have a small chaos army. Found it ok. 6th was great, but downhill after that. Tried the other KoW and 9th pretender ruleset, and it's OK, more of the same.

i never see anyone mention dystopian legions, does it just have no community?
bad balance?
whats the issue? i looked at the models and theyre lovely

I want to play not pick out pointless details on models which are priced exorbitantly anyway.

>Playing anything produced by spartan games.
People stopped doing that after they dropped their 56th product to focus on their NEW UPCOMING SUPER COOL SUPER GAMEā„¢

Sadly this happens with literally everything they produce because mental problems. So people stopped paying attention because who wants to start playing a game that will be forgotten in 6 months.

>Prepainted
>A plus
Leave this board and never return.

>i never see anyone mention X

See, adult Veeky Forums regs would see that fact as a signifier. Try to work out why.

Take all the time you need.

This is the stupidest thing that I have read all day. There are a million ways that WHFB could have been rebooted as a skirmish game without it being incredibly stupid. They could have done something like Mordheim or just refluffed their very well designed LotR game.

>Detail can't be beat
I assume that you don't know that Mierce and Kingdom Death exist. Plastic simply can't hold as much detail as resin and metal can.

>All WHFB clones are crunchy
But Kings of War is far more streamlined than 8th, and certainly plays much faster than Age of Sigmar.

>MK3 has made Warmachine the most balanced game
I feel like that I have just been taken for a ride. Maybe quests were a less evil to threads like this.

i see, i didn't know about that habit as a company, thanks for answering instead of being a grumpy grognard like this fag

>citadel undisputed #1
>too much detail
>overpriced
>unpainted

So you prefer playing a cheap game with underdetailed, pre-painted models? I don't think being represented by a cheapskate with objectively poor taste will win your also-ran models any victories in the "Miniatures War." Do keep digging, though.

>being this assblasted about x-wing pre-paints
>x-wing pre-paints still better then 90% of 40k 12year-old SM players
>b-but hobby...

Here's the thing. 40K, as a hobby, is peerless. Its models are the best products on the market, the only problem is the sheer cost. But nothing else has the same level of character or customization.

But as a game? 40k is terrible. TERRIBLE. Horrible. HORRIBLE. It's utterly miserable and requires arm-twisting negotiations with an opponent before a game even starts just to have a nice-ish time. It's only good if you completely ignore formations and superheavies, and play at just 500 or 700 points. I'd rather play any other system than 40k, and just use 40k models for it. Best of every world.

They're famous for "Spartan ADHD" which is shitty because they do make some really interesting models and (I'm told) some good rulesets.

But yea, when a nice looking, fun game slowly fades into obscurity because the owners simply can't manage their time and resources people get pretty salty about it.

>retarded proportions of SM
>LE BEZT MINIS IN ZE WORLD

The only thing 40k has going for it over their competitors are their multipart plastic kits. Which I never understood why they are a good thing. In the end all the tactical marines blend together and they don't look like individual personalised models. For the person who made them, I'm sure they do, but that's the same for people who play Warmahordes, Infinity, put custom paint jobs on x-wings.

Their lore is subjective, I like a lot of it, but I hate even more. The game is trash, absolute garbage teir. The community is fractured and no there's no real sense of engagement by people playing the game, people, at least in the cities I go to, play just what they're given from GW, they don't make up custom rules, interesting and interactive boards, etc.

Too much min-maxing, gimmick lists.

Tactical marines look absolutely fucking nothing alike each other unless their creator is the absolute worst painter and modeler, who purely makes everything look the same instead of giving marines all the special campaign badges, icons, numerals, etc they're supposed to be decorated in.

>hurrr everything has detail and character if you paint those detail and character on them
Really strong argument there, mate. Care to show us your tactical squads with personalized "badges, icons, numerals", just to have an idea? Surely you're not the absolute worst painter and modeler, are you?

>Infinity
>lack of large centrepiece models
I disagree.

>not posting big brother

So, like every miniature ever?

But it's not x-box hueg, so large that it barely fits on the table! for some reason some people want to play not only with huge armies, but huge models as well. Personally I think 28mm/32mm/whatever is ill suited scale for such a thing, when smaller scales offers pretty much the same experience at manageable size and cost. But each to his own.

You can say this about every miniature game in existence.

After posting the Su Jian I thought it'd mean something like Baneblade or Imperial Knights at least. Although at that point it kinda stops being a "miniatures" game.
Infinity does not get bigger than Jotum or Maghariba Guard. But then it's a skirmish game about black ops, not wars; there's no place for tanks.

>Balance is good, because the game is simple, and currently small
Devs themselves have said the balance was shit and they know it.

Fluff is just shit.

>40K
>Best detailed miniatures for the new stuff
>Decades of fluff, very cool setting
Thanks for starting out with the retard confirmation. Saved me from reading the rest of your drivel.

>Devs themselves have said the balance was shit and they know it.

suuure they did
lets see it

As someone who is balls deep into Infinity I will admit stuff like this looks cool as fuck.

Not everyone likes the hobby.

Assembling and painting are a giant chore to leap over before I can get go the fun part, the game.

Not really. Rank and file games especially outside of a medieval context heavily stress conformity. The thing about space marines is that each and every one should be incredibly easy to pick out from a group if they're painted and modeled properly. They're made for conversion and heavy painting with relative ease from a multitude of interchangeable parts.

Prepainted means it spreads more easily onto people who are normally intimidated by the painting and assembly part. You just pop the fucker out of the box and play.
Not to mention that Star Wars fighter ships are usually either grey or black anyway.

What OP really glaringly omitted is that X-Wing is Star Wars. No matter how good or old your fluff is, you ain't gonna win with Star Wars, especially now that new movies are being made. Franchise force is strong in this one.

Too. Much. Stuff. The core design is cool, but whoever designed should probably have stopped at some point.

Is this an open thing?

>overdesign
That's the fucking point. It's the Admech. Everything is crammed full of detail. Hell it's half the point of most of the human armies, who are supposed to be similar to the grotesque, baroque architecture of the Late Medieval/Early Modern Period.

I agree that it works well with the AdMech, but GW's current design philosophy is to overdesign every model (As seen on almost all AoS models)

>(As seen on almost all AoS models)
Well of course AOS is shit, I ain't going to argue for that. The only model I like from AOS would set me back 100 USD anyway...

And why did Bretonnians get killed before I could make an army. ; _ ;

The multi-part plastic kits with extra bits are the only advantage SM have regarding to personalization. The painting thing is a moot point: it's true for all the miniature games, and you can't expect the average painter to be able to freehand logos and decorations on shoulderpads for an entire army.
Seriously, has anyone ever seen passable pauldron decorations made by average painters (ie people not paid for painting models)?

God the Haqqislam models are so fucking rad.

>all that mantra about "customization" and "ur dudes"
>90% of 40k on actual tables looks bland as shit
>blue bulky space dudes
>greenish bulky space dudes
>horny grey-ish (?) bulky space dudes

This is because those idiots aren't painting or modeling their marines properly. Every space marine is supposed to look unique, even if they just have special icons on their armor and all are running around in the same armor mark. Which doesn't happen though, as according to the image of every individual in the Ultramarines Second Company, virtually every space marine wears mixed mark armor.

Gives a new meaning to "radical Islam".

>Every space marine is supposed to look unique
Ain't nobody gonna bother painting every of their 40+ Space Marines uniquely. And the differences are extremely minor: a different kneepad, 1-in-10 is a beakie, maybe a Seal of Purity on another one. But Space Marines are still supposed to have a unified look.
Army where every miniature could look entirely different from another would probably be only true of Orks, because Orks can look whatever the hell they like.

Nope. Second Company has a very unique appearance, with it being fairly easy to pick everybody out in a line on account of their greaves, breastplates, helms, vambraces, etc all having various combinations of marks. Only a couple guys are just wearing MK VII and nothing else.

And 40k isn't supposed to be played with a Demi Company either. 40k is a 600-700 point game that for some retarded reason people play at 2,000 or 2,500 point levels because GW told them so, when the rules don't support size bloat.

40k actually isn't utterly horrendous if you ignore GW's bullshit marketing for big games and just play at the original skirmish level it was meant for.

But that's even more wrong. Orks have 200 samey models instead of 40.

If you went crazy customization and made your orks truly unique, you'd get more traction from the same amount of effort put into space marines. Imagine a SM army done up as Tau FWs wearing captured power armor as a field test, that'd be awesome to look at... but so would any army from any game with that much work put in.

>being this much of a contrarian baby buttmad that his pet game is leagues beneath 40k

Litteraly every multi part plastic kit out there has more customization and conversion option than space marines.

Their proportions make a lot more sense for powered armor than the twiggy little dudes next to them, which have zero room for all the mechanisms, servos, wiring and such that would be needed.

You're the one who is fucking retarded if you think futuristic vacuum-sealed armoured exoskeletons in space are supposed to look like the thin metal plate of medieval times.

>which have zero room for all the mechanisms, servos, wiring and such that would be needed.
Artificial muscle is a thin sheet of piezoelectric materials. You don't need bulky mechanisms.

They're not more realistic, but they are a damned sight more creative than the models on the right. They're not just "knights, but SCI-FI!" The knightly elements in their design are subtle, and mixed in with other stuff to create a unique blend.

They're knights, but they're also soldiers, as evidenced by the fact that they have modern firearms and anti-armour weapons, and are carrying them like actual soldiers. There's also an element of older soldiery - did you know that Marines' backpacks were inspired by the backpacks of Napoleonic infantry? The big double-bulbed thing on top was based off the bedrolls said infantry carried.

That's a mix of influences that make Marines genuinely unique and distinctive, and a far cry from your average generic space-knights.

You stoked my interests on battletech fluff, what and where should I read?

The fluff entry about warmahordes is skub, absolutely every faction is some sort of asshole or evil cabal of dicks that represent them to other factions even if they don't get top billing. Also don't get the whole cygnar=america thing, yes there are elements of that but all the names are supposed to be British as fuck and they are a mad science victorian monarchy with official nobility and knighthoods.

>Battletech
>Worst miniatures, period.
Maybe (way) back in the day, but they're cool now. Fuck outta here with your shit taste.

For example, here is the image. I've circled in red every single deviation I can easily pick out for certain that is not MK 7 armor. Note that there are several breastplates that, due to the bolters obscuring the front, I am incapable of telling apart from MK 6 and MK 7, so there may be even more.

Sure buddy.

>be obsessed with ur dudes
>be an IG fag that cant stand the cadians
>conversions, conversions and conversions
kill me

>You're the one who is fucking retarded if you think futuristic vacuum-sealed armoured exoskeletons in space are supposed to look like the thin metal plate of medieval times.
Except Space Marine armour is filled mostly with Space Marine bloated flesh and isn't that thick otherwise.
Infinity HI are regular dudes in power armour, not genetically altered supermen. You know what regular people in PA look like in 40k? Pic related.

Also the knights looks twiggly next to the stunty Marines; they have plenty of bulk when compared to non-HI Infinity units. Not to mention Infinity is going for true scale and anime aesthetic.

You might have had a point if GW's official artwork had the same proportions as their miniatures but it doesn't. Furthermore their vehicles are wildly out of scale and their non space marine miniatures are even worse. Sadly GW's fanbase are full of idiots and children so GW will never have any incentive to fix their range. Imagine the outrage if GW decided to release properly proportioned miniatures. You'd never hear the end of the complaints how the new miniatures are impossible to paint.

>did you know that Marines' backpacks were inspired by the backpacks of Napoleonic infantry?
No, they were inspired by ancient Roman backpacks.

The knights on the right looks like knights because they're supposed to be knights. They're like the Black Templars of PanOceania, going for style over reason. Regular heavy infantry is closer to the ORC Troop. I dunno why they posed him like he's surprised to be here, aside from the fact that hardly anyone plays ORCs.

That said everyone agrees PanOceanian HI is boring as fuck. Both look wise and rules wise.

To be fair though those infinity knights are pretty badly proportioned. The torso's too big and the legs are too thick and short. IIRC they are pretty outdated though.

>I swear guys, I've read in this fluff blurb that all SM are supposed to be totally different and cool! All those SM players painting theirs like cloned blue potatoes are doing it WRONG!

You seem to have difficulties grasping the concept that what really matters is what people are doing in the real world, not what some fluff sources claim it should be.

>Marines
>retarded design from 80 italian trash
>retarded proportions from painting of 12y-old
>muh future soldiers
>muh le unique dudes

thats one of the few infinity minis i've seen that
a) isnt painted by angel giraldez
b) isnt pretending to be giraldez
c) isnt shit.

I quite like the simple style of it.

>Except Space Marine armour is filled mostly with Space Marine bloated flesh and isn't that thick otherwise.
Legitimately wrong. Space Marines have the proportions of a normal human and are only seven feet tall.

And sisters power armor is complete dogshit compared to the marine's stuff or what Inquisitors wear, and often utterly fails against boltguns. Although really, Sisters can't do anything without getting hopelessly slaughtered.

It's not fluff, it's every single fucking source on space marines, which displays them with unique armor, icons, armor and icons, etc. There's nothing that makes Marines out to be generic carbon copies of each other besides lazy as fuck space marine players too poor or too lazy to buy bits to properly represent a chapter's appearance. Thank god at least the Horus Heresy did a good job on clamping down on idiots fielding identical marines.

But truly, anybody who plays 40k who just uses the contents of one box to make a 40k army is not doing the hobby right. Everything should be kitbashed or heavily converted, as it was intended. 40k used to be entirely about converting the ever loving shit out of your marines.

>Legitimately wrong. Space Marines have the proportions of a normal human and are only seven feet tall.
It is you that is legit wrong. Needing 10 years to grow a Space Marine into a bloated pile of muscle with an extra heart, two extra stomachs and ability to gain memories from eating brains is a big deal in the setting. Part of their armour is literally grafted into their flesh (the Black Carapace, seen here).

>And sisters power armor is complete dogshit compared to the marine's stuff or what Inquisitors wear, and often utterly fails against boltguns.
And yet their corsets are exactly the same armour value as Marines power armour.

Either way, they're more than *just* knights IN SPAAAACE. They have their own look, their own style. They are a unique design.

Meanwhile I could pop open Google and find a million images of sci-fi knights that look indistinguishable from those Infinity minis. They are boring fucking designs.

And yet they're one of the most memorable sci-fi soldier designs in all fiction, right up there with the Stormtroopers from Star Wars, the Mobile Infantry from Starship Troopers, the Terran Marines from Starcraft and the Helghast from Killzone.

Who cares if Space Marines are unrealistic? They're distinct in their unrealism, and in visual design that's all that fucking matters.

>not doing the hobby right.

Oh fuck me, not another one of these dipshits.

That comic is so outdated at this point as a depiction it is utterly irrelevant, not to mention the codex art is newer.

>And yet their corsets are exactly the same armour value as Marines power armour.
Only because 40k is based on a flawed D6 system instead of D20 or D100. Sisters Power armor is canonically weaker than what space marines get, as they are definitely not equals.

So true. I just fail to get that "best minis in the world" trash, when everything i see 40k-fags playing is bland AND out of scale.

There is an acceptable way of doing the hobby, and an unacceptable way. The unacceptable method is churning out carbon copy models purely to field some 2,500pt shit for a tournament, none of which 40k was ever meant for. Hell even GW gives a bigger shit about the models and the hobby of making and converting them than the game itself.

Now if only they'd cut the bloat shit right fucking out, because Epic does not belong in 40k. Or at least should remain exclusively in Apocalypse.

Kitbashing is much more an option in old WHFB or even in historical ranges (perry) than it will ever be for marines.

>tfw we'll never get eldar miniatures which look as good as pic related

>I buy a company's product and fully assemble it, and nonetheless I'm still doing it wrong according to something this company wrote in a book.
Thank you for reminding me why I quitted 40k 10 years ago

Well I wouldn't go as far as saying that 40k is bland.
Even as somebody who hates GW, it's only because I resent them having rights over such amazing fluff and art and just fucking up the miniatures. Pic related does 'heroic' proportions perfectly, sure that head is a little too small and the body too large but horus looks amazing, something you'd never get with official GW released miniatures.

..Fucking how? Those old models were typically monopose with you having to saw through pewter to repose them or swap limbs. Space Marines meanwhile have hundreds of bits, and every space marine model from GW or FW, loyalist or chaos, is almost always compatible.

>implying implications
[smug anime girl].png

>such amazing fluff and art
Is this a new meme or what? I can understand granddads for fapping to this trash, but its year 2016, user. 40k lore was always shit-tier to me. 40kfags love to joke around about infinity, star wars, warmahordes, yet protect absolute craptastic levels of "great fluff".

To give you an idea, every WHFB plastic (and even some metal) empire kit, WHFB chaos marauders, Warlord games 30 years wars and WGF historicals are kitbashable and on scale. That's a bit more than a few boxes.

>its year 2016, user
kek

Not to mention they are also on scale with IG kits.

Based on the pic above the Space Marines look way less stupid.

The knights on the right look like Deviant art shit met Mass Effect... holy shit that looks awful. Infinity has some cool models but those knights sure aren't it.

I take gayeffect deviant shit over 12y-oriented 80-trash "kult-klassic" any day.

>trying this hard
The least fleshed out Factions in 40k have more lore, and more INTERESTING lore, by themselves than the entirety of Infinity, Malifaux, and Warmahordes combined.

As for art I'll wait while you find anything from those games which can compete with something like this. And there's literally hundreds of more pieces like this one.

This user gets it. It's even more sad when it tries to be serious.

Quantity =/= Quality

And I'll take unique and distinctive models over generic and forgettable ones any day.

Good thing 40k has both over the competition in droves when it comes to literally everything other than crunch.

All it would take is GW hiring a competent design team to reboot the game with a non-sucky 8th edition to basically kill off half the playerbase for all other tabletop games. Of course, that won't happen, and we all know it won't happen. But trash-talking the strong points of 40k doesn't really fool anybody, it just makes you autists look bitter because your anime game is so much less popular.