Question for you MTG faggots. Say I have Brisela on the field un-tapped...

Question for you MTG faggots. Say I have Brisela on the field un-tapped, and my opponent decides to attack me with 4 creatures, let's say 4 2/2s. If I play Give No Ground and raise Brisela to 11/16 and can block any number of creatures, would I be able to potentially gain 44 life, because I am doing 11 damage to each of those 4 creatures? Or I am only doing 2 damage to each of those creatures, and only gaining 8 life?

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=409903
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Give No Ground

You have 11 damage that you may assign how you like to the attackers, so you can only gain 11 tops.

Brisela only has 11 damage to give, so she does 2 damage to a creature, then 2 damage to the next, then 2 to the next, then the rest to the last

That makes more sense, as much as I would of liked being able to potentially gain 40+ hp that would be broken as fuck, thanks for the response.

Ah, this reminds me. Can I cast spells during damage step? After blockers are declared, the attacker assigns the damage, no spells may be cast during, correct?

You can respond to declaration of blockers

Beginning of combat
>You can do things
Declare attackers
>After attackers are locked in, you can do things
Declare blockers
>After blockers are locked in, you can do things
Combat damage

Right, but nobody can respond again until damage is decided

>2 to the 2/2 and 7 to the 3/3 due to combat damage
Nothing can be done in response, since this is during combat damage, right?

Also, you can do. Things after first strike damage and before normal damage.

You can play stuff after the damage is resolved too and things are still considered attacking and blocking

You can't boost attacking/blocking creatures after damage is resolved, you would have to do it AS damage is being resolved (at instant speed)

I heard if nothing is doing first strike damage you can't do something in between the nonexistent first strike and regular damage.

Which might matter with certain combat trick interactions.

Mostly correct: If no attacking or blocking creatures have first or double strike, there's no first strike damage step. Doesn't actually matter if they'd do damage, just that they exist in combat.

>you would have to do it AS damage is being resolved (at instant speed)
literally incorrect

you can't do shit during the combat damage step, the last chance you have before damage is during the assign blockers step, when you have priority.

>You can't boost attacking/blocking creatures after damage is resolved
well you can, but the gist is it's rather pointless and gives no benefit

yep, this guy got it right except for the final step which is the end of combat step. Much the same as beginning of combat. also there is a first strike combat damage step ONLY if there is a relevant creature on the board.

>you can't do something in between the nonexistent
yes

>Which might matter
very doubtful. if it matters, do it on bockers step

Also note that the defender gets to decide how the damage is allocated to the creatures it's blocking, so you don't necessarily have to kill all of them. You can do all 5 to one guy and 6 to another if you wanted and let the other 2 live... though I'm not sure why you'd want to.

>you can't do shit during the combat damage step, the last chance you have before damage is during the assign blockers step, when you have priority.
top tip: You can do things between 1st strike & regular strike damage step if a player has a double/1st strike creature

"I swing with my Phyrexian Obliterator and this 2/2 zombie"

I don't want to trigger my opponent's creature's LTB or death triggers.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=409903

>You have 11 damage that you may assign how you like to the attackers, so you can only gain 11 tops.
I will clarify this. You will gain 11 life, not 11 tops because all the damage must be assigned.

He's still correct. You can't 'do it AS damage is being resolved'.
You either do things after blockers are declared and in between first strike step - normal damage step.