BULL

BULL
SHIT

NO WAY A FUCKING WIZARD COULD KILL A DEMOGORGON WITH A SINGLE FIREBALL

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogorgon_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Except when a little kid who probably can't understand the rules is at the helm.

it's a show for millenials

>"a demogorgon"

Demogorgon is a proper noun - a name.

>A DEMOGORGON
>Not, THE DEMOGORGON

Nooblet identified.

The kid was trying to cheer up his friend who was abducted by a monster, chill

You're a millennial, user.

Unless you're underage and should be banned, or over 30, in which case why haven't you an hero'd for browsing Veeky Forums over the age of 30?

It's a meta reference outside of the games intrinsic universe, "a Demogorgon" is just as proper of a way to refer to it because it's not referencing any specific edition, but all editions, thus all versions of "the" Demogorgon.

Lern2English

1982 to 2002 = millennial.

So are you saying your retarded ass says "A Orcus" rather than "The Orcus"?

It's a proper noun. Edition doesn't come into it.

In AD&D, a fireball could do 120 points of damage at 20d6.

So, yes, it's entirely possible.

>The Orcus
>The Obama
>The Trump
>The Hitler
>The Freddie Mercury

What show is this?

I'm pretty sure Demogorgon is a prince of hell, not just one of those bastardized dnd monsters

>An Orcus
>An Obama
>A Trump
>A Hitler
>A Freddie Mercury

No one would argue for "a Orcus", it would be "An Orcus".
And what if youre referring to the multiverse at large?

No, you retard, because it would become "AN Orcus"

You don't use "a" before words that start with a vowel sound, dipshit.

I was point out that "An" and "The" are unnecessary since the person in question is a singular, unique individual.

Lolth, the demon queen of spiders, has 66 hitpoints and is a lesser goddess.

Did they have multiple editions out by the time the show takes place?

"Wow, a Hitler!"

>An Obama

All of those would fit in some context or another when dealing with multiples. The reason they aren't is because there is only a singular Obama. There's multiple Demogorgon's within the context of the meta game.

Nope. 2nd used the same basic rules as 1st.

Heh, for shits and giggles I once made a 3.5 epic wizard that was level 50 or something and took feats to get to the point where I could Energy Admixture all the damage types onto an Intensified Delayed Blast Fire Ball. If I recall correctly it would have done several thousands points of damage.

That show, what a massive disapointment. Maybe it could had been a good 2-3 hours movie. 8 episode for the generic as fuck "horror-mystery-supernatural" show.

So wouldn't that mean that by this point there is only one reference point for Demogorgon meaning that "a Demogorgon" would still not make sense within the context of the world?

200 health is more that 120. That wizard has some 'splainin to do

Stranger Things

Technically, but there were multiple editions out. the 1974 version and then the two separate AD&D editions, which they made a point to specify which by making AD&D called AD&D 2nd Edition.

This is some really bad bait.

It's a cheesy, at times horribly written nostalgiafest highlighting the worst tropes of the 80's. It's still the most fun show I've watched in a while.

And Holmes, Mentzer, and Moldvay Basics.

>at times horribly written
>cheesy

Nice contrarianism.

It's better written than the majority of shows I've seen the past decade or so.

If you were referring to a single individual, you'd either just use their name:

>Oh look! It's Demogorgon
>Hey there Orcus
>What's up, Freddy Mercury?

And at best you might use 'The' when when you think the name might be more like a title, or you want it to carry some weight.

>Oh shit, it's The Demogorgon
>We worship The Orcus
>The one, the only, it's THE FREDDY MERCURY

Using 'a/n' is weaksauce and would only be used if you are specifically referring to one of multiple.

>NO WAY A FUCKING WIZARD COULD KILL A DEMOGORGON WITH A SINGLE FIREBALL
>Relax, it's just an Orcus
>Are you a Freddy Mercury fan, or a Prince fan?

The argument that is just retarded. Demorgorgon is a name. So OP should have said:

>NO WAY A FUCKING WIZARD COULD KILL DEMOGORGON WITH A SINGLE FIREBALL

When in doubt, replace it with Batman. If it still makes sense and sounds like you're referencing the DC character and not a race of winged batpeople, you're good.

>NO WAY A FUCKING WIZARD COULD KILL A BATMAN WITH A SINGLE FIREBALL
>NO WAY A FUCKING WIZARD COULD KILL THE BATMAN WITH A SINGLE FIREBALL
>NO WAY A FUCKING WIZARD COULD KILL BATMAN WITH A SINGLE FIREBALL

See how one of those examples seems silly?

Yeah, that occurred to me. But someone recently taught me a better* way to handle plotholes and such. Instead of thinking "the show is wrong and I can't enjoy it now," think "this happened on the show, are there any ways to interpret it that make sense?"

For example: the kids had spent hours in the basement hunting Demogorgon. The first time they found it, they injured it but had to retreat. The second time, they forced the fiend to retreat instead. They push deeper into the lair, and it ambushes the wizard! He has a choice to make: play it safe, or try to finish the beast off with one final attack?

*this method makes you less irritating to be around.

>It's better written than the majority of shows I've seen the past decade or so.

A show can still be terrible if all you watch is shit.

>Are you a Freddy Mercury fan, or a Prince fan?

You realize that makes complete sense, right?

You MIGHT be right, but how much prep time does The Bat have for his fireball spell? This is crucial, need to know information.

That's why he said it made sense.

>contrarianism
I called it fun, tripfag. It's not the pinnacle of writing or original, and if you claim it's either there's nothing to argue about.

Wait, then what was the point of his post if he was just proving the point that it's fine?

>It's not the pinnacle of writing or original

Neither is The Soprano's, doesn't mean it's not well written.

>Wait, then what was the point of his post if he was just proving the point that it's fine?

He was pointing out that you use 'A' for multiple.

There is only one Demogorgon.

The argument that 'but there are multiple editions, so using a Demogorgon is fine!' is bullshit because in each edition there would still only be one Demorgorgon - at least any edition relevant to this discussion.

Since OP is making a rules complaint, he has to be referring to a single edition - as it would be retarded to complain that the rules work differently in different editions.

So 'A' Demogorgon is just as wrong as using 'A' Batman, 'A' Jesus Christ, 'A' Freddy Mercury.

The example he used was 'A' Freddy Mercury Fan. As in - one of many. Not 'A' Freddy Mercury.

>*this method makes you less irritating to be around.

>being so full of yourself that you don't realize it's a thinly veiled /tv/ thread on Veeky Forums

Not being pretentious is also a metho that makes you less irritating to be around ;)

There is only one Demogorgon.

Only in the context of the in-universe game.

Even in the show they refer to it as THE Demogorgon, demonstrating that it was merely a creature with a title.

So if you want to keep going after technicalities, then fine, I will.

Was he the only attack made on the Demogorgon, or the only attack seen?

Also: is that a Ral Partha Demogorgon?

>Since OP is making a rules complaint, he has to be referring to a single edition - as it would be retarded to complain that the rules work differently in different editions.

Are you implying that there is some official edition out there that would result in a single fireball killing "A" Demogorgon?

Except "Freddie Mercury" and "Prince" are adjectives describing "fan" in that sentence, so it's completely irrelevant to the point they were haphazardly trying to make.

Says the namefag.

>what is a common noun

We don't know whether the kids had previously encountered and wounded the Demogorgon. Since A) they knew what it was as soon as the DM described the noise, and B) a single fireball could finish it off, it's not much of a stretch to assume they'd already encountered it and done some damage.

So, no, probably not one fireball's worth of HP total, just one fireball's worth of HP remaining. Making "do I defend, or do I go hard and try to end this?" an actual tactical choice.

>Even in the show they refer to it as THE Demogorgon, demonstrating that it was merely a creature with a title.

Yeah, like 'THE' Freddy Mercury, or 'THE' Jesus Christ.

Can you think of a sentence where you would use 'A' to refer to a single person by their name?

>Well if it isn't A Michael Macke.

That shit just doesn't work.

Using 'THE' on a singular is fine, kiddo. Learn you some grammar.

He ain't a namefag. That right there is a tripfag. Even worse.

what show is this?

>Can you think of a sentence where you would use 'A' to refer to a single person by their name

Yes, like when it's in the context of a meta-analysis, where all names are insignificant in terms of their overall attributes.

>Using 'THE' on a singular is fine, kiddo. Learn you some grammar.

Take your own advice, kiddy.

Except I wasn't trying to impress or seem significant. Quit reaching you pretentious, loser, shitlord, and get a fucking girl friend, jesus.

Stranger Things on Netflix. It's worth the subscription.

You could kill anything with one hit if it only had one hit left.

Or are you of the mind that the kids know each other and the monster manual so well that they can figure out that the attacking monster was Demogorgon based solely on the GMs description?

Ahh, cool so there is a precedence within the setting for there to be multiple Demogorgons

>Yes, like when it's in the context of a meta-analysis, where all names are insignificant in terms of their overall attributes.

Can you give an example that makes sense? And don't do the retarded trollshit I know you're going to think of and just copy-paste the demogorgon shit from above.

Think before you troll. The best trolls are the ones people don't think are trolls.

It can be assumed his was the only attack since the kids are freaking out about the "one fireball" killing Demogorgon.

>can you think of any example?

>And don't do the retarded trollshit I know you're going to think of and just copy-paste the demogorgon shit from above

>AKA; except for the example that out-right destroys all of my credibility

Kek, using ad hominem doesn't make you right.

My example is OP.

Fuck off.

>Ahh, cool so there is a precedence within the setting for there to be multiple Demogorgons

No?

That's like saying there is precedence for multiple Jesus' based on source material.

There can be multiple articles that reference the same individual - but that doesn't change the fact they are referring to a single person or creature.

---

Actually, y'all are retarded in this thread.

Do the kids in the show ever refer to it as a Demogorgon, or just THE Demogorgon?

No. 1e and 2e have the same Demogorgon, and OD&D doesn't have him at all.

Why not? Are you a writer for the show? Can you provide concrete proof that the kids didn't allow multiverses in their setting?

Can you think of a single example that is not the argument itself as a demonstration?

Using the example that the argument is about is circular logic, trollfag. You wouldn't have been so dumb as to use circular logic, would you?

Either you're samefagging, or you fail at reading comprehension.

>Ahh, cool so there is a precedence within the setting for there to be multiple Demogorgons
>Why not? Are you a writer for the show? Can you provide concrete proof that the kids didn't allow multiverses in their setting

How do those two posts follow on from each other?

>Why not? Are you a writer for the show? Can you provide concrete proof that the kids didn't allow multiverses in their setting?

Did you think the guy said there ISN'T a precedence or what, trollfag?

Thanks for reminding me that there's no reason to reply to tripfags.

>Do the kids in the show ever refer to it as a Demogorgon, or just THE Demogorgon?
They refer to it as
>a Demogorgon
repeatedly. The show, or at least the characters, got it wrong. I don't know why people are even arguing this.

>circular logic

Well aside from it not actually being a circular argument, you're asking for a specific example from the belief of your own interpretation of the argument, while I have a completely different interpretation.

But fine.

>Does anyone in here know a Jonathan?
>Yea, I know a Jonathan

There, your argument is over.

>trollfag.

Hurhur, good one. Really made me think.

>Except I wasn't trying to impress or seem significant. Quit reaching you pretentious, loser, shitlord, and get a fucking girl friend, jesus.

lol wut

Tripfags, everybody

Stop replying to that autism.

Wrong person.

Meant this /r9k/-tier wizard.

>magic resistance 95%
>NINETY FUCKING FIVE PERCENTILE

there's no way a fireball 1shot it

>>Does anyone in here know a Jonathan?
>>Yea, I know a Jonathan

Except both those instances require multiple iterations of 'Jonathan' and as has previously been established, there is only one Demogorgon.

Here - use 'Jesus Christ' as your example, in the context of a name.

>Does anyone here know a Jesus Christ?
>Yea, I know a Jesus Christ.

See how that seems silly, given the context that there is only one Jesus Christ? That dialogue should have gone:

>Does anyone here know Jesus Christ?
>Yea, I know Jesus Christ.

Unless you think that because multiple editions have the same character in it means that there are multiple versions of that character, rather than multiple iterations of the same individual character.

For example - The Hulk. There are many different versions of The Hulk. Some are Bruce Banner. Some are not. But generally speaking, there is only ever one specific Hulk in the material covered.

>Does anyone in here know a Hulk?
>Yea, I know a Hulk

Is somewhat silly, in the context of The Hulk. Arguably less so if you include Hulk Hogan, but that's out of the remit of this discussion.

>Does anyone in here know the Hulk?
>Yea, I know the Hulk

Or even

>Does anyone in here know Hulk?
>Yea, I know Hulk

Your argument hinges on the logic that because there are multiple accounts of an individual character, that makes it the same as having multiples of that character in a conversation about a single one.

When clearly the kids in the show are only ever referring to the single Demogorgon of their game/edition/campaign.

Enjoy your (You). And try harder to troll next time. You get better results when it's not so obvious. Unless you're just the OP who wanted to defend their shitty grammar.

Oh, also -

>Does anyone in here know an OP?
>Yea, I know an OP

Rather than, in the context of discussing a single thread:

>Does anyone in here know the OP?
>Yea, I know the OP. He's a faggot.

>Except both those instances require multiple iterations of 'Jonathan' and as has previously been established

>and as has previously been established, there is only one Demogorgon.

No it hasn't

You've "deduced" that there "should" only be one Demogorgon, but it has not been established.

This post is autism incarnate.

>Wrong person.
>Screencap with the same name and tripcode.

Pure Autism: The Post.

>somehow misinterprets my plainly obvious post where I stated I replied to the wrong person and meant the other one

Are you a fucking tard?

>You've "deduced" that there "should" only be one Demogorgon, but it has not been established.

>No. Appearing
>1
>Same edition that explains it's one creature.
>Posted by the same tripfag.

>Ladies and gentlemen, the award for greatest autist goes to....

MR in AD&D is a defensive roll, not an effect multiplier.

You also add 5% for every level the caster is under 11th, and subtract 5% for every level over, so if the wizard was 10th or lower Demogorgon is completely immune.

At least three seconds if he wasn't expecting Demogorgon. But he appears to have encountered it before and may be anticipating an attack.

Mods please have mercy on this living abortion if a thread and delete it.

Don't some MM entries have Nr. Appearing: Unique, or was that a later invention?

>No. Appearing

That number signifies how many appear in an encounter. It's that way for plenty of enemies.

>>Same edition that explains it's one creature
>>award for greatest autist goes to

Would be "idiot" not "autist" you dumb-shit.

And still wouldn't be correct, since I'm neither, you're the one writing short novels because you don't like how a word is being used, and guess what, OP is still correct in his usage, because none of that applies to his post or its intrinsic nature grammatically.

Get fucked, retard.

So are you saying that, if this thread is correct in it's likely deduction that they encountered Demogorgon multiple times throughout the dungeon and it was weakened, that at a given level, he would have had to roll higher than a thirteen?

>OP exaggerates to get Veeky Forums's attention

>thread quickly disseminates into bickering over grammar over spite

Veeky Forums is full of faggots and autistic manchildren, I swear

What level was the wizard in the show?

They do, yes. Lolth is unique. Demogorgon is not.

You don't know.

In fact, you know nothing about the game at all save that it's D&D.

Please Google the definition of pretentious so you can stop using it incorrectly.

Well, we know that the wizard has to be at least 5th level, otherwise he couldn't cast fireball.

>attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

How exactly did I act pretentious?

More rare stuff

>Confirmed for Autist.

#Triggered

By acting like someone else was being pretentious.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogorgon_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)

Why is there an argument over how many Demogorgons there are?

1. There is canonically one. It's a name.

2. It's these kids campaign. They can have as few or as many Demogorgons as they want. They could have legions of the fuckers throwing down with Orcus if they wanted.

>calling out someone for being pretentious is being pretentious

So, what you're saying is, you're pretentious?

Different user, dude. Someone else called you pretentious, I'm just explaining the logic as to why they did since you didn't seem to understand.

I'm just here for dat sweet Stranger Things.

Anyone here excited for Season 2? Any thoughts or theories based on the episode names?

Addendum: But yeah, the guy calling you pretentious probably is. I'd have just called you a silly cunt.