Vampires in big houses? Y/N

Me and the DM got into a heated argument about whether or not vampires can live in big houses. What's the answer Veeky Forums? We're playing Pathfinder to clarify.

Yes.

Yes they can.

Could we get some context for how this came up ? I am legitimately curious here.

Why would they not be able to? Why is there any question about this?

This; I specifically want to know what the argument against Vampires in big houses was.

The sunlight could conceivably get inside??

That's about the only reason why they wouldn't.

I think the real question is.
Was it the DM or you who was retarded enough to argue that a vampire couldn't live in a large house?

>be me
>playing Pathfinder with DM and 5 other ppl
>makes vampire hunter character
>character is an orphan
>mother died in childbirth
>father contracted consumption
>has younger brother
>doesn't want to end up in orphanage
>joins clergy with brother
>brother is super devout and very popular
>my PC is super jaded and bitter
>abandonment issues and jealous mofo
>meets an old sellsword
>becomes apprentice
>sellsword actually from line of vampire hunters
>no more vampires tho
>my PC learns a lot
>mayors daughter kind of a strumpet
>known for sneaking out at night in commoners' clothes
>doesn't come home one night
>uh oh oreo
>mentor hired to find her
>no trails but mentor seems worried
>my PC gets caught in some scandal at church involving his brother
>doesn't notice mentor is acting weird
>one night ruckus is heard
>comes from big house in town
>my PC and some townsfolk go investigate
>finds dead body of mentor inside
>his face is like meatloaf
>finds mayor's dead daughter drained of blood
>owner of house gone
>1 + 1 = fucking vampires
>my PC inherits mentor's title but is wholly inexperienced
>mayor pays him a humble amount to look for vampire
>scared the scandal mentioned earlier will make life hard for PC and his brother
>perfect excuse to leave town
>leaves town and travels northward where vampire was seen headed
>years pass and no results
>doing odd jobs
>in big city
>meets other PCs
>solid backstory 11/10 HAHA JK
>DM doesn't want vampire to live in a big house
>reason because town only has 96 ppl so a big house is too noticeable
>tell him that town makes no sense logistically speaking given his map
>another player suggests a lodge in the woods
>I accept compromise but DM still doesn't want vampires to live in houses
>argument goes on for an hour
>everyone ragequits
>other players agree with me and thinks vampires can live in big houses but DM doesn't
>want to avoid further salt
>Veeky Forums is always right
>what do Veeky Forums?

At first I just thought you were saying the DM doesn't think vampires should live in that specific house.

But no, it sounds like the guy genuinely hates the idea of vampires living in houses in general. This makes no fucking sense. What is his logic for this?

What a bizarre rule.

get a new dm
your dm is apparently a fucking retard
one of the core parts of vampires is that they look like humanoids, except the breeds that go full feral.

Even then, it doesn't take much work to mitigate/remove that risk

Show that nigga a map of Castle Ravenloft, and then point and laugh at him.

DM told me the town is too small therefore a big house is too noticeable. I said it's just a slightly larger house then but he said that's still too noticeable. He told me the town has 2 dozen houses x 4 people per household so 96 people in the entire town. It's also an entirely fishing based town. The town on the map is isolated and on the other side of a big lake. I told him that logistically makes no sense because a town that small can't sustain itself. He refused to budge saying vampires can't live in houses.

What's the alternatives? Rebury yourself every night? Live in a cave?

He's right that a big manor in a town of only 96 people would be too noticeable.

Why did it HAVE to be that town? A town that size wouldnt even have a mayor.

Even then, why can't they have just lived in a normal house?

What is this guys deal?

Heavy drapes?

When he first said it was too noticeable I changed it to just a slightly larger house but I think he just hates the idea of vampires living in houses. Another player suggested an isolated lodge and I was willing to concede but he wanted it to be a travelling vampire. Given vampire lore it doesn't make any sense to me. Also he suggested the town in the first place because it had an edgy name.

I told him about Ravenloft and he said no castles because a castle would be too obvious in the setting (it's a small valley).

This, if he'd have left it at a vampire couldn't realistically hide in tgis house then that'd be one thing. I still don't agree with that logic, but at least there's magic to begin with.

But insisting they can't live in houses period makes no sense

Acshually, that many people with a big manor home in Medieval Europe isn't particularly weird; sort of common, really. The villagers would mostly be serfs to whoever owned the lands (IE the guy in the big house), with maybe a smith to handle broken tools.

To add on to this, I don't know why a town this size even has a mayor. DM was the one who brought up the mayor. There's a lot of logistic problems with the town. It shouldn't even have a church or clergy of any sort. The villagers would have just gone to someone's house to worship.

That's still not a reason it can't interact with people. He wants it to be traveling vampire? Corner it at a fucking roadside inn

That would make sense except they're all fishermen on the edge of a lake. They aren't farmers living in the nearby areas.

That's actually a pretty good suggestion except the town is so isolated I don't know if there would be an inn here or nearby. I guess I can ask the DM about it.

Even the smallest towns should have somewhere to socialize

I guess so but that doesn't really answer the question.

Even if this town just sprang up the night before, one of the first buildings in pretty much any settlement is a bar/tavern/something of that sort. People need to have some sort of place where they can be social, conduct business, meet to gossip, whatever. A tavern/bar/pub/inn/saloon is a perfect place

A tavern is a place of business where people gather to drink alcoholic beverages and be served food, and in most cases, where travelers receive lodging.