WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

Work In Progress Thread
"Still Waiting For That Auric Patricians Johnny" Edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Archive 1.1.0.7.6.3
youtube.com/watch?v=cSCOaowF2UI

>Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qgJIuJ8a_8k
fantasygames.com.pl/liquid-in-a-glass/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hows my nobz coming together? Paint scheme alright?

This is after wash, starting on layers/highlights

What can you do to spice things up for Fenrisian Wolves?

I plan on giving one an eye patch in honor of MGS5. But what else can I do?

Tacticool vest, of course.

I saw a jackass put stormbolters on their backs before. I imagine it would damage their hearing.

There was an user that used wulfen heads instead. Those looked amazing

>There was an user that used wulfen heads instead.

I remember those ...

>Those looked amazing

... in a creepy "things that shouldn't have faces, but do" kinda way.

Reposting picture from last thread of my first finished harlequin bike. Since this I've fixed the silver exhaust and the black area under the standing bloke. Is there anything else I've missed or do any of the colours look a bit shit?

You're supposed to do darker outside edges on the green in order to contrast the white, with highlights on the inside of those darker borders. The way you've done (lighter edges) it blends the colors together and diminishes the look of the diamond pattern.

trying marble effect

Mind doing a quick ms paint to show what you mean? Really appreciate it

I know it might be a stupid question but I have to ask - how many minis approximately can I glue with 5g citadel glue tube? Would it be enough for 18-20 models?

Can I get some opinions on these two?

That looks really nice. Any particular technique you used?

What colours did you use?

Hundreds if you use it correctly. If you ran out after twenty models you're not gluing correctly.

The ink is a bit too thick of drops on Red's face there. Looks like clown tears.

followed a method I've found
basically it's:

>rakarth
>pallid wych
>put water all over the surface, then do agrax lines
>more agrax on the lines, then smooth the borders with thinned rakarth
>very thin agrax to mark the lines
>highlight the lines with pallid wych and white scar
>white scar was on the light areas
>gloss varnish at the end if you want to

>What can you do to spice things up for Fenrisian Wolves?

Missionary just not doing it for them eh?

You could get some cyberwolves

or
with some peltors
so you don't upset
Tactical space doggos.

It doesn't matter, since you're wasting money on a bloat-priced product that works like shit.

Use Superglue brand superglue gel. It's cheaper, more easily obtained, and far better for both plastics and metals than either of GW's shit adhesives.

It comes in packs of smaller tubes with more narrow spouts instead of large bottles for finer control of flow and application.

One small tube of the stuff lasted me what would equal about 80 space marines worth, and they come in packs of three or more typically. (a 3pack that costs $1)

Any of you guys have a recipe or source for painting (model) tires?

I want to get my DV cultists painted and done but am finding them a little intimidating since they are more detailed than guardsmen and marines. Anyone have a good guide or some experience with the little buggers?

GITGUD

They Are Cultists.

Make one look good, dip the rest. Never run 'em in a squad smaller than 20.

Pulling the trigger on a warlord order soon, never built something that big before - what do you use to pin the weak points, and where do you get them?
I've seen people say brass rods, steel rods, some have said wire coathanger cuttings.

You mean..... THESE??

Creepy fucking things

Like... they're grouse. But just wrong. Kudos to the guy who made them.

Hey guys, stupid question maybe, but, what are colored inks good for? I get brown and black tone inks, great for shading. Use them all the time.

My little Army Painter ink pack I picked up includes green/blue/red/purple ink as well, and frankly I have no idea when I should use it. I tried it on corresponding cloths for shading but frankly it's too saturated as opposed to just using the brown/black tones as usual. Again, not really sure when these are supposed to be useful.

>no wolves on Fenris

pretty fucking sweet!

Didn't notice that lol. They're supposed to have SOME ink around their eyes but not really a large drop like that.

wow I was thinking of doing this same effect for my imperial knights.

For blending colours together.

I've been trying to make a custom SM chapter based on the Myrmidons from the Iliad. Any ideas for colors? Anything but black please.

Go with the earthy, vaguely orange colour of Ancient Greek Pottery. You say you don't like black, but using it to highlight or offset the colour I suggest might look alright.

That, or go with the faded white/parchment colour of linothorax armour.

Or bronze. Bronze is very Greek.

Just did my first squad of ultramarines, I did a gold and blue scheme. I like it but I'm not sure if I will get ridiculed on the tabletop. Pics?

duh. of course post pics

Hey,

just finished up these Gal Vorbak- first time painting them, C & C would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Update on the nobz

Finished another squad of T'ron Pathfinders. Not my best minis, I'll admit. I really wish I could just get better at painting in general.

What he means is you'd paint the whole pattern white, then use a moderately darker green to make the diamond outlines, then fill it in with lighter green.
Your eyes will blend the two together, making the pattern pop a bit more.

But, really, yours looks fine, and the flaming skull heads are an awesome idea.

Paint seems a bit thick in places and some parts could be cleaned up a bit. Otherwise I think they look great!

I realize I forgot to add 2 guys to the picture. You're not missing much.

For the most part you're right, but the plastic glue is waaay better than super glue for use on actual plastic minis.

Whatever's easiest for you to get and work with. I don't know if you've ever tried to cut a wire coat hanger but shit ain't easy.

I went with a really cartoonish, retro look, like the original genestealer cult.

I know the blue on the carapace is a bit too thick so I'm going to wash it with more blue.

What do you guys think so far?

They look fine user. The important thing is you have them painted and they look good.

Really good, m8.
Only problem I can see is the obvious one that you've already identified.

Painting better is just a matter of doing it more. These look good. Take what you have learned here and try a new technique or something on the next set or project. Its the only way to add skills and get better.

yo, anyone knows where I can get myself one of these jhonnies?

>spice
glowing blue eyes?

Pub gents room. Metal machine on the wall will spit one out if you chuck a few quid in.

lookin' gud!

Black Templar Deathwatch vet done and dusted, these guys are good fun to paint as a break from batch painting my other shit.
(Yes I am aware the Mk IV helmet isn't compatible with Mk VIII armour, lets just pretend its a modified Mk VIII helmet)

How would I go about making a 'heated gun barrel' effect? I want to make my melta look fancy with that effect but don't know how to do it.

don't use super glue
don't use citadel tools
don't buy anything from citadel besides miniatures and paint if you have no access to other paint brands.

Never buy their overpriced bullshit.

look at pictures of really hot metal. Its going to go from white at the hottest parts to a deep cherry red at the cooler end. Then its just a matter of blending from one through the colors to the other.

Alright. Thanks user.

Anyone know where I can get a Leman Russ Conqeuror turret or three?
Other than ebay, which almost never has any.

pic found on Google, not my model

youtube.com/watch?v=qgJIuJ8a_8k

This vid should provide some info. Also in forgeworlds latest model masterclass book they go about how they did the heated barrel for the admech knight.

Guys, remind me, when you want to weather a mettalic coloured model with the sponge technique, you use black paint right?

Some people use them for armour.

Say chaos warriors of Tzeentch with blue inks/washes over steel. Never tried it myself though.

question painters, I need some new brushes so what's a good reasonably priced brush from amazon(.co.uk)

I use Casandora yellow over some Rakarth Flesh to make hasard stripes easily. That's about the only coloured wash that is not brown and black that I use regularly.

The windsor series 7 size 000 is great if you take care of it with some brush soap.

If you got spare plasticard rods/pipes or even paper you can make the barrel and snap it on a shortened battle cannon, achiving a similar look.

Army painter brushes are solid stuff for their price. Not high end, but if you take care of them they will last a long time.

I use red wash over the top of a blended red before I put on the highlights to help tie everything together, and to make the colour more intense. I also use purple at an earlier stage to give the shadows a bit more cool contrast, while the highlights are a little more orange. Some people swear by using purple wash on gold as well, because it helps create additional depth.

Good morning from the foggy UK /wip/! Been working on a Master of Signals for my World Eaters. Base colours and washes are done, moving onto highlights and finishing the base.

I'm trying to convert some AoS bloodreavers to be Numen Gun-clansmen as Militia Allies for my WEs. First attempt at scratchbuilding guns, C&C very much appreciated :)

finished my Twilight Order Knight Pinup. She's a bit rought because I was in a hurry for some reason

>the chainblade on the auspex scanner

Bloodspeed child of Angron.

Looks a bit thicc to me.
Seriously though, great work, can't really fault it.

and my current WIP are Saladin and the Maghariba Guard Pilot. Also I made a bunch of bases for when Red Veil arrives

Thanks! and yeah, KD pinups tend to be

did these two up tonight

kitbashed big mek and a vanilla weirdboy

That might work, though I'm pretty shite at stuff like that.

zog me it's beautiful

Just started painting my sisters on my custom made skull bases. The bases are made from gs, some gw skull piles, and like 1300+ individual metal, resin and plastic skulls.

Dat's a lot o' skulls

Why didn't you just make 3-5 and cast them? Surely that would have been cheaper than buying all those skulls.

Not to be a hater, but aren't the bloodreavers pretty big?

Well they'll fit in on the GW realm of battle board.

looks nice, but I'd add some skulls if I were you. ain't proper warhammer with no skulls, man.

Not the guy you suggested this to but I've been interested in painting some Orange space marines and this sounds awesome. Any Idea how to replicate that look?

Tell me about bloodreavers, why do they wear the mask?

for you

They are the smallest of the new khorne stuff actually.

I painted a powersword (more like the sword on the seraph - infinity), and had to layer quite a lot of paints. Most of the sword is fine, but the tip is a bit thick and uneven. Worst thing is that the tip is pointing up, so the bumpiness can be seen at all times

any way to fix this? I spent pretty long painting it.

I just painted it, so I hope its because the paint hasn't cured fully.

I'll probably strip it tomorrow if it turns out bad.

The nob body goes great with the kff backpack

The weirdboy would look better if his brain was more pronounced. Maybe darker or wetter?

needs more skulls

>How would I go about making a 'heated gun barrel' effect?

Are you talking about this?

Lads, I'm painting the warp lightning cannon and I have no idea how to paint tubes

Let's say I want them either green or blue

>yo, anyone knows where I can get myself one of these johnnies?

Are you a member of any Oldhammer or 40K forums or trading groups on Facebook? Ask if anybody there would be willing to trade or sell you the old Brother Craig model.

Shopping on eBay? I use this search string:

(oop,"rouge trader","rogue trader",metal,vintage,classic) ("space marines","space marine","blood angels","blood angel","space mariens","blood angles") -chaos -epic -atax -kenner -ccg -maelstrom -cryomek -grendel -void -vasa -dirtside

Occasionally, it will turn up a Johnny - usually in a lot of other old Rogue Trader-era models. Right now, the only one I know of for sale on eBay is being sold by Noble Knight Games in a lot for $65, which is really too rich for my pocketbook - especially considering I already have every model in that lot.

Here's my Imperial Guard thus far. Guy on the left is the furthest of the normal infantry, but I've still got a lot of layering left to do. Officer is the Company Commander, who still needs shading and highlighting, along with some work on his bionic arm and sword.

What do you think? Good? Bad? How do you think the paint scheme looks? I know I need a new white, because I thinned the white just as much as the other colours but it went on very shittily.

>warp lightning cannon

Are you talking about da fingz wot iz painted red in this picture? It doesn't seem like anything special. Were you thinking of making them look liquid-filled, or phosphorescent or something?

yeah, I would like some simple effect to show there's liquid warpstone in it or something, with a glass effect or something

Your first minis?

The paint looks extremely thick in places, yet doesn't cover the primer everywhere. You need to work cleaner and with better thinned paint.

There isn't much else to say thb, just take your time and neaten up the mistakes you can see on your photo.

Take more pics if you find it difficult to spot mistakes on the real miniature.

The overall color scheme is ok i guess.

fantasygames.com.pl/liquid-in-a-glass/

Dunno about liquid, but Saint Duncan posted a how to paint Warpstone!

honestly, say what you want about GW, but their Youtube channel is supremely good, and full of good tips.