Was I being a dick DM?

So, lately I have been getting tired of this munchkin player's shenanigans in my campaign, he does everything in his power to milk as much power as he can for his Eldritch Knight (we're playing 5e), and that means abusing the fuck out of the Long Resting rules. The first 3-4 sessions of Phandelver there were absolutely NO short rests chosen by the players, and when they got to the goblin caves they wanted to rest outside of the cave. I rolled on a table for that, they won, but it was when they decided to rest INSIDE of the cave I said fuck that and had 25 goblins come at the party trapping them with their dead leader. The Dragonborn quickly grabbed the head of the leader while the powergamer got ready to fight, and roared (Intimidation, rolled a nat 20), and scared them the fuck off. I was pleased...that is, until the part got back to Phandalin and stayed at the inn. EK player did some carousing, won a FUCK TON of gold, and his pas percep was so low he didn't noticed how pissed all these losers were that he won this much money. So in the middle of the night he gets attacked (which interrupts his long rest abuse), then he gets mad after the fight saying "well I long rest anyway" so here's where the dick part comes in, because that's where that session ended:

THE NEXT SESSION, half the game, I have all these quests and objectives for the REST of the party, while the powergamer sits out "long resting." He kept fucking whining "just speed up time" and I'm like "no, you're resting, you want the full requirements fulfilled for a long rest you got it." I even had an npc he pissed off (mother) for telling her teenage son he could come kill bandits with him, bashing his door so she could kick his ass...and he still stayed asleep, bitching while the other players were doing shit and getting xp.

So my question to you is: was I being a dick?

also pic unrelated

Yes, you were. You were being passive aggressive instead of directly confronting him about his powergaming behavior. Try instead to start from scratch, admit to taking the wrong approach to a real problem, then reason with him as to how this is a collaborative experience and his trying to exploit the rules for his benefit is creating a toxic climate that sucks the fun out of the game.

If you already went through these steps, then you were well within your right to teach him a lesson.

I'm with this guy Also remember that characters can only benefit from a long rest once per day. If I needed to set it in stone, I'd say they need to go at about 16 hours between long rests.

and what if they say "okay 16 hours it is. we wait and do nothing."

Yep, you are a penagolopolis.
Your player likely isn't better.
But you deserve to monger cocks together.
You deserve each other.

Then you diplomatically appeal to their maturity, this isn't supposed to be an arms' race between the GM and his players. If it turns that way, then are you really having fun, and wouldn't you all be better off doing something else.

This is the point where I ask : Are you and your players friends ? How long since the game started ? Any shining moments ?

yes. and kind of. there were some.

OP didn't actually run the game.
If so, he's shit.
Passive Perception to notice people are angry?
I think what we want is Passive Insight.
But you know, the person bitching about someone exploiting rules shouldn't be assed to learn those rules, should he?

Wait, what did the EK actually do?

He won some gold, rolled a 20 on an intimidate checks, and wanted to rest after getting in a fight.

I don't understand.

You're being passive aggressive, but I don't think you're going overboard. "Your dickishness is still dickish, but you're not a massive cockhead"

While I agree you should talk to the guy, sometimes you do need to slap down your players if they're malingering when others are intending to get shit done.

>when others are trying to get shit done

this is essentially what was happening. they wanted to do shit, and he wanted to sit and replenish his spells every single encounter.

every single one. he did this in the last game I ran, with the exact same character.

Then they should respect you and your point of view. Try to expose how that player's behavior is causing problems while putting the blame solely on that particular behavior rather than your friend.

Alright, well sounds like he's deliberately ostracizing himself for the sake of his powergaming. Point that out, and try to tell him it's not the end of the world if he can't always have all his spells prepared.
Again, be tactful. This is the kind of situation that can lead to pointless drama, and you as well as that player already took some steps on the wrong path.

Wait, so trying to sleep makes you a power gamer?
That's why I'm confused

I feel like there's some context missing here

user you're replying to, here.

It depends on where they are. Regardless of location however, I advance the plot one day, have them deduct living expenses and rations as appropriate. Any time-sensitive objectives like missing persons move one day closer to being fucked (or become more so if it's a degree-of-fucked situation).

>tavern or someplace reasonably safe
Sure, a full day passes and they do fuck-all. They might get a piece of news about the world to indicate that time is passing by without them.

>camp in the wilderness
Random encounter roll every 2 or 3 hours (roll 1d6, roll of 6 means an encounter happens. Target number varies with terrain), as if they were resting normally. Enemies might do some shit like stealing any valuables or mounts they left unattended, they might set fire to the PCs tents depending on circumstances, or try to mess the party up the old fashioned way. Spending the night in the wilderness away from a road means I make a navigation roll to see if they get lost when they head out the next day (failure indicates they explore in randomly-determined directions instead of where they wanted to go, until they can get back on track).

>middle of a lair, dungeon, or similar
Random encounter roll every 20 minutes, just like while exploring the dungeon. If they're in a fortified position, I think about whether each group of enemies could break through the fortification or set an ambush. Some enemies might move their VIPs or treasure away from the dungeon while the party rests, especially if it's something like a bandit hideout where they have objectives other than being target-practice for the party.

I think you should focus on the carrot when you're spending too much time on the stick. Don't try to penalize him for taking a long rest, reward the rest of the party for not resting. I definitely would not just give in to him and let him rest whenever he wants.

Also, you can introduce time-sensitive quests.
>The elven ambassador is only going to be in town for 2 nights. You need to figure out what he's plotting before the convoy leaves.
>The necromantic ritual is going to take place during the full moon. If you don't defeat the necromancer before it's over, he'll succeed.
>You're trailing a band of outlaws. You engage their scouting party, but one of them gets away. If you rest now, you'll lose the trail.
>The king's daughter has a mysterious illness and the healer says she's only got a week to live. You better find the antidote in that time.

Blowing all your spells in one encounter then going to sleep makes you a powergamer, compared to people in game who wouldn't want to just go back to sleep.

Putting it like this: a "normal" party would take two days to clear out a 30 room dungeon. With this powergamer, it'd take 30 days because he'd trudge back to the inn and go have a rest because he burnt through all his spells, and nevermind that the rest of the party is willing to keep going, he's now useless because he blew his wad.

Would you in character be willing to spend a month sitting around on your ass while the wizard went to go sleep after casting a dozen spells? One might understand in WHFRP but this is nowhere near that lethality.

Time sensitive quests are a good idea, assuming it's not already a thing.

From OP's summary though, he seems pretty willing to indulge the other players while the problem player just sits and rests.

Yeah, based on his post right before mine, I'm getting the impression that too much is happening "behind the scenes." They might not have any concept that something was right in their grasp but now moved away. Sometimes players need the giant blinking timer saying "YOU HAVE ONE DAY TO COMPLETE THIS QUEST OR YOU FAIL IT."

why act like a respectable person and just talk to your player when you can be a passive-aggressive little fruitcake and piss everyone off?

Yeah, you're a dick. He may or may not also be a dick, but you need to stop being a whiny child and just discuss your issues with the people you have issues with.

Oh okay. He's not a power gamer then so much as an idiot. Just give a ticking clock. It could even be non-lethal shit like other adventurers showing them up or something

I don't really get why an Eldritch Knight would make a big deal of that though. They don't have many spells to begin with, and they're perfectly capable without them

op here, I hate being that obvious

because my player is an asshole and I can't reason with him. so I know the other option is to either throw him out or deal with it, and I'm trying to find a way to do both without kicking him.

>They don't have many spells to begin with, and they're perfectly capable without them
This is likely why OP is somewhat frustrated.

>WHAAA, I LITERALLY CAN'T NOT ACT LIKE A CHILD
Eat all the dicks, faggot.

you can suck mine

A-user-kun i...

>because my player is an asshole and I can't reason with him
So...why can't you kick him out exactly?

Because he's a whiny child that can't deal with directly dealing with shit, hence why he's got to be a passive-aggressive baby like this.

You don't necessarily have to tell it plainly during the game. Just point out during a conversation out of the game that their mission is of a time sensitive nature. Try to pick a point in their campaign where they failed to get something because that player would tarry. Hell, invent it if need be. If you manage to make them collectively understand that his constant long rest shenangigans is doing more harm than good, they'll join your cause and hopefully peer pressure will do the rest.

Not OP, but kicking people out is hard. It's kind of like how breakups and firing people can be emotionally difficult.

>inb4 user who has never GM'd in his life calling me a cuck for showing weakness

There are legitimate reasons to not have "kick them the fuck out" as an option. I want to see if he has one before I make that sort of judgement.

It's hard if you're a baby. Be a fucking adult.

But given the posts in this thread, OP is clearly not an adult mentally, even if he is physically.

>Blowing all your spells in one encounter then going to sleep makes you a powergamer, compared to people in game who wouldn't want to just go back to sleep.
Or, you know, completely in character as someone who doesn't want to go into a fight after doing the lore equivalent of an olympic triathlon without a goddamn nap.
He spent everything he had, and now he wants to sleep, goddamn it. He can't perform until he gets some rest. That is a perfectly human reaction.
Talk to him about blowing his load in the first fight of the day, not about wanting to recover after doing such a thing.

I do have a hard time kicking people out, I'm not assertive or tell people what I'm thinking, I try to be a mediator. Which I thought what DMing is all about.

I decided to talk to my other players about this. Here's some testimony straight from FB

>Or, you know, completely in character as someone who doesn't want to go into a fight after doing the lore equivalent of an olympic triathlon without a goddamn nap.
Then his character gets to rest.

But his player shouldn't bitch about having to wait and do jack-all because the other characters don't want to wait for his sorry ass. The player urging the GM to "just fastforward the game until I can play again" is warping all the OTHER player character's intentions of carrying on and not be lazy fuckers. THAT, is being That Guy when you try to get your way and not let anyone else have their way.

This thread as made me wonder.

What's worse? Faggot wizards who cast everything they have at the slightest hint of danger?

OR faggot wziards who never cast a single spell because "I might need it LATER"?

Ever see a soldier throw all of his grenades and fire all of his bullets at a single terrorist?

It's not "in character"

Is that what another player said about his?

The guy sounds like a douchenozzle unconductive to group play.

alright. I'll try to reason with him. what cracks me up about the whole thing is that his g/f even hates it.

I feel like D&D is perfect marriage counseling. Or relationship therapy. It require cooperation, socializing, management, respect...kind of like a relationship.

I have told him countless times his shenanigans fucks the party, not me.

Alright hardass, you really done showed us all how manly you are. Goody, we are all very impressed at how clenched your buttcheeks can be.

If you manage to reach a consensus that there's a problem with him, gather your players and confront him collectively. Make sure every party understand it's not a lynch mob. Just pointing out that he is in fact causing problems to everyone

no he's a goddamn murder hobo "chaotic neutral." trust me. he's not roleplaying, even though he wrote a gigantic backstory about being a netherian soldier.

Good lord, so everything he said is a lie because he made a rules mistake or perhaps even just wrote the wrong word in his message?

yes, that is the party's monk

he's going to think it's a lynch mob. but I'll give it a go. I think he listens better when the party tells him what they think moreso than me. I just always err on their side, or on the side of reality. I'm not in it to kill them.

said every DM ever...

Message the player privately and say that they're slowing down the flow of the game. Offer some advice on how to improve.

In regards to the immediate problem...

What you did was passive-aggresive but not exactly dickish. If the player makes a choice to spend a day resting they can't be pissed off when the setting advances without them.

Don't do it again if you can avoid it, though. That crosses the line from "oh I guess I fell for that" right into "the GM is actively keeping me out of the game"

>Don't do it again if you can avoid it, though.

I was all for not doing it again. I was like "this is all I'm doing and it's done." everything else he did fine except take all the money...but that's not something I have to talk to him about, it's the party. I'll jump in if I have to, but it's his own hubris that usually gets himself for me.

Regardless, near the end of the session that night (last night actually), I gave him the option to join the Order of the Guantlet.

So, now that he's a member, I'm curious as to what consequences his actions are going to entail now that he's a member. I even had the NPC warn him that if he "ever fell to evil, pray whatever god it is you pray to the order not find out about it."

A lot of his background is tied to an NPC who fought with him in his soldier background. That NPC is also in the order, he put a "good word in" for him.

Any ideas on this? How soft or hard should I go on rewards and consequences? Also every time I read about the order I always feel like I don't know enough about them.

>Your Fare

Bummer.

DON'T YOU DARE TAKE THAT TONE!
I'LL FUCKING CHARGE YOU FOR THE RIDE BACK HOME YOU UNGRATEFUL PLAYER

set a homebrew rule to longresting. alternatively, force the players into a situation where they can't just sit around with their thumbs up their ass for meta reasons.

I recommend chasing them with Nazgûl. Nothing gets a person moving like the BBEG's pocket unkillable bringer of death.

Also give them a clue that you're about to do something that will adversely affect their mission. Ex:
"Are you sure you want to give another day's worth of preparation / regrouping to your enemies?"
I wouldn't feel bad about resetting a dungeon completely if a group of PCs left, went back to town, and slept for 8 hours.

I wasn't thinking Nazgul but probably Revnant will be somewhere in the EK's future...he killed a CO as part of his backstory.

"Are you sure you want to give another day's worth of preparation / regrouping to your enemies?"

I never use language like this. I always try to make it real for them, but, I guess sometimes it's really hard for players to get into the world 24/7 like you are, because you're the DM and they are not.

> bashing his door so she could kick his ass...and he still stayed asleep
Yeah, you're a pretty shitty GM.

If you're having an issue with him spamming rest than night attacks make sense, just make it a rule that whenever you rest you have to take off your armor, so a raid during rest can really fuck you up. Or tell him to manage his resources better or at least solider on. Or both. Or have enemies sneak up on them during rest getting a surprise round.

Statements like that, for me, serve as reminders to powergamers that they aren't playing a video game where they can exploit some resting mechanic. It's not an MMORPG, it's not Baldur's Gate, it's a world where demands and consequences are more pressing. This is something that I usually try to inform my PCs right away about: I AM worried about encumbrance, I AM worried about daily rations, I might even expect you to track your ammo (actually probably not, but you get my point).

Not at all. Actions have consequences.

Now, I would have had the EK roll an Insight rather than Passive Perception to tell that people were pissed, but that's splitting hairs.

As for the Long Rest, according to the PHB: If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity-at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting spells, or similar adventuring activity, the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it.

So, as long as the fighting didn't last too long, he should be able to pick up where he left off.

As for the rest of the party, you could ask them whether they want to continue as they are or wait for the player to finish his long rest before commencing. If this attack happened in the middle of the night, then by 10 AM or so, he should be fully rested. If the players woke up at 8, then they could dick around for a couple hours, have their morning meal, plan the day before he gets up.

>Bummer.

Fixed it. Only took me 9,001 hours in MSPaint

someone should update the one on 1d4chan then

>You were being passive aggressive instead of directly confronting him about his powergaming behavior.

I don't see how this is inherently the better option. You're basically saying "make a scene instead of trying to influence his behavior by the consequences of his actions in game." You're encouraging a GM to arbitrate player behavior with OOC requests and demands instead of just making that behavior have results in game. I don't see how this is a good thing.

if a guy insists his character gets his 16 hours of sleep or whatever, I see no problem with letting him have it while the other characters who decide to get out of bed and do shit do shit.

In my opinion OP nothing you did was excessive. You didn't punish him for his behavior, you merely withheld rewards which other characters got for not doing what he did. It's up to him to make the decision whether he wants to maximize efficiency on a metagame level or compromise his character's efficiency and get in on the rewards the rest of the party is getting by being more active.

Talking to your players about expectations really isn't that bad, and sometimes needed if the player is new. Having an open dialog will be the best way to get them to change their behavior.

>make a scene

No one is suggesting OP make a scene. Talk to him in private like a normal person to avoid putting him on the spot in front of everyone else.