New to Warhammer

Hey all!

Decided to get into Warhammer and, after learning about their pretty cool lore and a e s t h e t i c, bought the Stormcast/Chaos starter.

When I eventually move onto checking out my unis wargame society and hopefully start playing, I want an army with a pretty solid theme. After hearing about the link between the Stormcasts and the Dwarves (whose WH design I've always loved), I was thinking about doing the following:

The Age Of Sigmar Stormcast Eternal starter army, with the missing artillery space being filled with Dwarven artilarly units, painted in the same gold and blue armour style. So, it'd be like the Stormcast's are the bulky, expendable frontline while the still mortal Drawfs are giving them covering fire from (relative) safety.

Just wanted some thoughts/advice on the idea, and maybe some general advice to anyone whose new to the game to read!

Oh get prepared for asshurt OP. 9th age fans are coming.

It's shitheads like you who killed Fantasy. Kill yourself, you fucking faggot.

>after learning about their pretty cool lore and a e s t h e t i c, bought the Stormcast/Chaos starter.

Outstanding taste.

One of these things in not like the others.

>when you see it

Oh boy it's a big one

OP here!

As you're clearly quite angry at the end of Fantasy, I can take it that you were buying its miniatures till the very end? Like, doing your part to keep the line alive? Not just sitting on your old Britonian army without buying a single new piece for several years?

Calling Age of Smegmar Warhammer hurts me, pity you didn't get into it 5 years ago when is wasn't complete shit.

I know sigmarines was the joke but holy shit it took me a minute to even find him

Warhammer was always shit, we just didn't realise there were alternatives. It's a good thing it died.

It's hard to do that is you arent a rich kid.

I've heard about that new game mode where anything and everything is allowed which sounds a bit anti-theme, but I'm keeping my mind open about AoS. So far I've found the setting/lore pretty interesting and I'm pretty in love with my current SEs; I fucking love the whole "spirits being bound to suits of armour for all eternity until they're eventually just mindless Chaos slaughtering machines" and love how the almost golem-like design of the armous and faces reflect that.

Would of got into Warhammer Fantasy sooner had I the money for it these past ten years. Always wanted to get into Fantasy for a decade

I didn't even realise anything was out of the ordinary until I read this. I thought it was an injoke. Holy shit.

More people play 40k, and the lore is better too. Stormcast are just a re-hash of Space Marines, you can even find the armour suit bound souls there too.

Really?

Maybe its because I owned that miniature when I was younger but I noticed him straight away

I'm not a big fan of grimdark scifi though, to be honest. Space Marines don't do a thing for me for some reason and, despite keeping my ear to the ground for the last ten years about 40K, there was never anything that made me want to pick up an army and start playing. Part not personally liking the setting, part not liking any of the factions

How come people think that Stormcast are like Thousand Sons Rubric Marines? We have lore of them removing their armor and we have models of Stormcast without helmets.

Is it because people who hate Stotmcasts are racist?

>not liking orks
But glad you found AoS to you liking. There is a general thread where we discuss builds and tactics as well as a few tips for hobbying.

Once you know what to look for, he stands out like dogs bollocks - gold helmet, smaller base.

But at just a glance, he blends well.

Pretty finely crafted bait, OP.

I was actually being sincere, but oh well.

So, if I bought some Dwarf thunderers or something, would I make them into the Fantasy sort of square formation, or could I make them single units in the manner of AoS and 40K?

Cheers for the directing, friend. I'll see you there

To correct you, they are not souls bound in armor. They have mortal bodies of flesh and blood wearing magical armor. Their bodies are just magically infused. I don't know where the whole 'golem' thing comes from.

Not to mention it's a creative trick used to say 'durr sigmarines lol', when you could have a tau fire warrior in the exact same colors as the rest and people would be hard pressed to notice. It's just the way our eyes work.

>So, if I bought some Dwarf thunderers or something, would I make them into the Fantasy sort of square formation, or could I make them single units in the manner of AoS and 40K?

But them on singular bases that can form up to a square.

You can use square bases just fine for skirmish games, but you can't always use circle bases for formation games.

>I don't know where the whole 'golem' thing comes from.

It's a popular misinterpretation of the whole 'Sigmar takes mighty souls and reforges them into great heroes' bit. In the context they meant souls as 'individuals' and forged as in it 'trained until breaking point'.

It was back towards the release of AoS where the interpretation arose, and with the release of cookie-cutter identical troops with identical face masks it just kind of stuck.

>have a tau fire warrior in the exact same colors

I agree with your point, but I disagree with your example. The fact that the miniature is also carrying a shield and sword and is roughly the same size and pose as the others does a lot to help. I suspect a Tau Firewarrior would be a lot more noticeable.

One of these things just doesn't belong~

Go back to bed, OP.

>Warhammer
>wargame society

>>As you're clearly quite angry at the end of Fantasy, I can take it that you were buying its miniatures till the very end?
well its not the end per se because age of sigmar uses the same miniatures as fantasy did. its just everyone hates age of sigmar and just boycotts it

see

Is it hard to buy a set every month/couple of months and do a few hours of modelling/painting a week with it?

When you have a job I mean.

Not the poster, but I was just about to have my second army (Dark Elf Corsairs after an all-warriors Khorne army) completed when this steaming turd dropped. So yes, I was supporting my hobby. It's good to see you've already got the shitty attitude of AoS players.

As opposed to the shitty attitude of warhammer fantasy players?

Fun fact, GW accidently used Mantic models in one of their AoS promos.

Getting axed makes people salty.

>it's defensive sigmar players can't understand why fantasy players would be salty episode
>it's a sigmar slav episode

Just gonna point this out.

But do you actually think Mantic and GW have some kind of bad relationship?

I think people are really confused by the relationship and I think it's 90% because of the American policy.

I wouldn't say a bad relationship so much as a competitive one.

We do know mantic minis are not allowed to be played in GW stores

That depends entirely upon the GW staff member though.

I have played with tons of converted mantic models because alot of them do look like ass.

On the other hand, I have heard people getting told to not use Older Heroquest models in their GW shop.

I think in reality, it's alot of people thinking GW are some kind of evil monsters sitting in their dark tower in Nottingham.

The reality is, GW is mostly composed of game players and artists.

You'll notice their entire design mythos is based on "I want to make a cool model" or "I want to update this army because it's cool"

Best example is the total Dark Eldar Rework by Jes Goodwin. Dark Eldar were always the least played army in warhammer even when packaged with a starter set,

But Jes Goodwin wanted to do his Gothic Sci-fi shit, and we got the god tier Dark Eldar redesign.

It's why Alessio left, he was a games design in a company of sculptors.

Even the new Head guy was at Forge World, a place that was EVEN MORE skewed in favor of the sculptors.

I think people just forget GW is a VERY British company, an almost alien force to the American Stereotype.

They're basically Valve. But people dislike them for the same reasons people like Valve.

>booty-blasted WHFB players still getting triggered by the mention of AoS
>shitting on a new player for starting a game he's interested in.

WHFB is dead. It's not coming back. This is GW's fault not the AoS players. If you don't like their new game, don't fucking play it. There's no need for all yall to get so pissy when people do want to play it.

It died because it was too expensive and complex fucknugget. During it's final hours, GW was making more money off fucking paint than Fantasy. The company made it unplayable for new people, and because of that it died. That is why the new game is simple and cheap as hell to start playing, so that they can avoid past mistakes.

So stop crying in every fucking AoS thread about how the players killed your game when 90% of them didn't play Fantasy at all before fucknugget.

smurf plz go

Actually, It was probably historicals and the lack of pofitable models that killed fantasy.

Who here wanted to buy more rank and file for their armies? So GW stopped making rank and file troops.

Who would buy brets? People either bought historicals or they just didn't play brets.

That's why only the popular armies got regular updates.

It's why WHG for close to 6 years was nothing but netlisting Elf armies, Chaos Daemons/Warriors, Ogres or Vampire counts.

You guys were salty before that

Sort of new to 40k and Sigmar as well, but keep one thing in mind OP.
Buy some lube and a ball gag cause GW's cock is gonna tear your ass open.(and your wallet too)

>s-s-stop talking bad about my game

I hate GW so much. Not because AoShite exists but because they were too jewy to support fantasy alongside AoShite.

>Actually, It was probably historicals and the lack of pofitable models that killed fantasy.
>source: my ass
>That's why only the popular armies got regular updates.
Wrong, regular rules and models updates -> popularity

We don't do bait threads on Veeky Forums.

OP here, I never asked for this