Board Game General - /bgg/

/bgg/ - Board Game General
Healthy Old Age Edition

Previous
Resources
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What games have fallen flat with you or your group recently?

Do you tend to give games second chances?

What's your unicorn game? Not just a rare game you're looking for, but the game that would be absolutely perfect for you, if it existed

It wasn't recent, but the first time we tried to play Spyfall it kinda sucked. Gave it a second chance a few months later and it finally clicked with our group.

My unicorn games are a true space 4x that can be adjusted for games between 2 hours and 2 days, a giant monster/robot fighting game with a decent amount of tactical depth, and a goddamn pirate game that doesn't have glaring problems.

>fucking waiting on GMT to get me both the new Labyrinth expansion as well as Grand Prix

>robot fighting game with a decent amount of tactical depth
This. Wonder how that not-Armored Core game did after they failed to get the license. Lack of news and the suspicious act of marketing it as an Armored Core game before getting permission probably doomed it I'm guessing? Seemed pretty fun too.

$148,157

pledged of $75,000 goal

>dream game is Eldritch Horror but with tile laying like Betrayal at House on the Hill

>Do you tend to give games second chances?
Yes.
Terra Mystica turned out to be very good.
Formula D turned out to be worse than I thought.

>What's your unicorn game? Not just a rare game you're looking for, but the game that would be absolutely perfect for you, if it existed
Asymmetrical area control worker placement set in the Mojave Wasteland.

Giga Robo might scratch one of those itches, even if the art is pretty mediocre even by weeb standards.

>giant robots in the golden age of piracy

mansions of madness

RIP Monsterpocalypse

Unfortunately I can't stand bad art, bad weeb art even less. I won't ever buy Dark Moon or Sentinels of the Multiverse no matter how fun they are because they make my inner artist cringe at how awful they look.

Don't. Get. Me. Started.

Welcome to the Dungeon always falls flat with anyone related to me by blood, which aggravates me, as everyone else loves it. I just worked at a con and some of the biggest smiles I got were from a group I'd taught to play it. It's great. But I can only play it on certain occasions.

I try not to give games second chances, honestly. They usually don't deserve one. I normally do give it to them anyway, but...

Anyway, my perfect unicorn?
Semi-cooperative Arkham-series deckbuilder with four dozen expansions and draftable starting decks. Low components, mainly cards, but also Carcassonne sized tiles and dice.
Yeah I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about either.

from previous thread someone says catacombs is 70 bucks on bgg but i just checked and it is not unfortunately (third edition to be clear)

(USAfag here)

It's a fun game, but if I were you I'd just wait till it comes back into print. Or check out the new one coming soon to see if team vs team appeals to you more than 1 vs many.

Did I do good?

My daughter collects ponyshit and I needed to hit $150 to get free shipping

Sorry, wrong image.

>no Jaipur

Are none of you fucking listening

Story of my life my nigga

New Vegas a shit.
How much more generic can you go than "main character is rescued from death, but now has amnesia".
Game was sweet, but that one thing broke all immersion for me.

>but now has amnesia
>pc dialogue can reference having a son in montana, having been to new reno and illinois, growing up a tribal, visited utah is canon because he knows the local language, and can know chinese, latin, and fallout's equivalent of assembly language
Not remembering the past couple days is probably the least damage being shot twice in the head can do.

Arkham Horror the card game is coming u kno

Yeah, memory comes back during gameplay, but still, these tropes are so overused in film, tv and vidya that I couldn't really take the storyline seriously after that. It's as repetitive as the generic town tavern where the PCs meet.
I know, I'm just being anal.

There is a disturbing lack of Civ games in my collection.
Give me some good Civ reccomendations Veeky Forums!

You're as bad as that maglev trains guy.

I seem to have this problem that my friends simply cant take my ideas seriously.

When we where growing up I was always the quite kid that didn't get much say in the matter. Now as adults, everyone just assume I somehow should just settle in the same role. Ever had that this happen to you? Like, you're one minute the adult, that has a family, job and responsibilities. Then the next, your 12 years old again, and everyone expects you to be that guy, and never change...

Ill give you an example. I got the X-wing board game at launch. I was hyped, I knew this game was going to get big, I knew it had potential, and the game itself was freaking awesome. Nobody caught on, and we never spoke of it again..... Until a year and a half later, when a friend of mine got this brand new game that looked so cool, everyone just had to try it out! Well, lo and behold my surprise, yes it was the very same X-Wing game I bought over a year earlier....

This time its the same deal around Zombicide. I bought the base set, as it was freaking awesome! And we played it... like once... Ok, I wasn't going to go down quietly, so I busted my ass, painted everything in the box, and got several expansions and painted that stuff to, and when I was just about ready to "look at this amount of awesome!", my friends ditch my game over Zombicide Black Plague... Its literally the same fucking game, but no one of my lazy friends would ever consider painting the models inside, and they didn't even get the expansion.

I know I'm coming of as a real whiner, but I'm just so freaking irritated. Do I need to break of my old childhood friends and step in to a more adult world, ask colleagues and such, to get a game going?

Tabletop simulator is now -50% on Humble Store, great way to test out board games

Where do you find most games. When I looked they didn't seem to have much.

have you tried Civilization: the board game?

try gaming with some different people.

>What games have fallen flat with you or your group recently?

Dead of Winter

Rarely. DoW is gone.

>What's your unicorn game? Not just a rare game you're looking for, but the game that would be absolutely perfect for you, if it existed

I know the market is absolutely FLOODED with zombie games, but I'm still looking for "the one". Ideally, a campaign style game where you alternate between having to do runs in a city to scavenge shit with minis and combat and cooperative worker placement style survivor camp management.

for you.

If they always treated you like that I'm surprise you still consider them friends. I'm with

This made me kek so hard...
holy shit

the first time someone said this guy gets a boner or whatever...

and then when i posted my haul and someone greentexted jaipur saying that i definatley made someone happy or whatever....

shit man, best thing. jaipur guy, u are a fokn legend u crazy son of a bitch!! i love u!! never change!!

Jaipur guy for lifee!!!

theres hundreds of games on Steam Workshop where you can download them for free

It didn't quite flop, but we struggled with the first play of Mysterium. We had just enough rounds to get all our cards and we ended up ignoring Clairvoyance at the end. It was fun until we realized we had 8 guesses and needed 7 correct, AND we needed each other to make enough right/wrong choices at the right times just to use all the guesses.

Sure. Fuck Quelf though, I ain't playing that shit a second time izzle.

Doom with assets/mechanics from the classic games instead of 3 and 4.

Yeah. It sounds like you've needed new friends for a while.

only experience like that that I had was back when I was like 9 or 10. yugioh had only just become available in english, I thought it looked neat and bought a booster pack, but my friends showed no interest in it. within a year, a south korean kid moved to the neighborhood and he happened to have hundreds of yugioh cards. guess what card game suddenly became hugely popular

your situation sounds much worse and you should probably find a secondary game group. who knows, maybe they'll become your primary game group and friends

Well, I do game with some of my work colleagues, who sees me as an entirely different person. To them, I'm the Adult, a guy who´s good at his job, fun to be with and a family man. I just finds it sad that my childhood friends sees me just like I was back in our youth. And I do feel I'm part to blame for that, because when you get treated in a way, that reassemble the way people acted around you in your younger days, you instantly gets a fraction of that old you to reflect your character in that group.

Its like playing RPG in a way. When you sit down for a session, you know everyone is in character. And you know you're not actually Crugg the Barbarian, but when you play, you take the part of him. You act as he would do, and try to roll-play his character. Just like the rest of the gang acts as if you truly are Crugg the Barbarian.
I play the part of me, 20 years ago when I enter a setting that reminds me of my childhood. This trigger is now my childhood friends, who will certainly never see me as more than the quiet nice guy, that never had much to say on the matter, and always was in agreement.

Ill probably try to get a "grown up" group going. Besides, its always fun to introduce people to new games, especially when they used to think games such as RISK was a bit to advanced and haven't really tried anything beyond that.

Ill keep my childhood friends, but mainly for the cause of Miniature Wargaming, as literally no one around where I live plays those games at all.

Smallworld sat on my shelf for about a year before I figured out how fun it is as a two player game.

Pandemic and Arkham are sitting on my shelf nowadays, havent paid attention to the gaming scene since 2010, what are the "hottest" games right now aside from autism simulator eurogames

I would dare say it's best as a two player game. In 3+ a big part of the game balance comes from the losing players ganging up on the player who's winning. This almost never balances out in my group at least since whoever's in the lead about halfway through gets latched onto and are beaten to a pulp for the rest of the game. My group almost never switch targets.

>Have Pandemic
>What's the new hotness?

FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK

How heavy on the rules is Ankh-Morpork? I am considering it since I love Discworld and my friend recently got into the books and loves them. I guess it could be played with people with no knowledge of Discworld but is it ok for new players in general if i have to explain the rules and some of the Discworld lore to them. My friends are not a problem when it comes to boardgames but our girlfriends are mostly in the stages of munchkin and catan.

like the other user alluded to, pandemic legacy is probably one of the biggest things in the last couple of years. it skyrocketed to the number one spot on bgg super quickly

scythe, time stories, codenames, blood rage, and cry havoc are all also pretty hot right now

Not heavy in the slightest. Long as people can memorize a few symbols in the cards, the game is about as mechanically difficult as a baby's rattle.

Great. Then it might be just the thing i need

Not exactly recently, but that award goes to Archipelago. It was only the short game, but it was still very lacklustre.

It'll depend on how the first go went. Sometimes I'll try a game and feel like the potential for a fun and engaging time are there and if my friends agree we'll give the game a few more tries. Other times it's just apparent after a single play that the game is bad and/or not for our group.

Pacific expansion for Triumph&Tragedy. With any luck it'll be published within 1-2 years time.

Does Mare Nostrum: Empires count as a civilization game? If so, that. If you've got more money than you know what to do with and 7-10+ friends go get Mega Civilization.

Through the Ages
Imperial Settlers

Recent gaming regrets:
>Preordering Mansions of Madness 2 when I could've waited and gotten it for 25 bucks cheaper
>Not preordering A Feast for Odin before retailers sold out
>Losing my copy of Innovation
>Losing one of the base cards in BattleCON

Also my friends are yanking me into building a MTG EDH deck which I'd love to do if not for the half dozen board games on my wishlist and how expensive Magic is

I tried Jaipur recently and it was just okay. I'd rather play something else light like Patchwork, Lost Cities, or Onitama

Just bought this, what am I in for?

Perfect during rides on a maglev train.

I don't get the reference. I bought it because it has pretty art and was on sale. Apparently my FLGS is clearing out Jaipur and other games by the same company because they changed to a ludicrous MOQ for wholesale orders and not many stores want to deal with it.

Is Formula D good? My friend and I are taking fans do thematically it sounds appropriate for us.

Are racing fans*
Sorry, swipe keyboard. I guess I should ask how long is the game and does it work well with a variety of players or is it one of those games where there's a sweet spot.

Don't worry about it friend.

It's a pretty solid 2-player set collecting game, really easy rules and score counting, quick enough that you could get 3-4 plays in an hour, plenty of difficult decisions to makeand should appeal to a good amount of players. Definitely a good purchase.

I just replayed the intro and I can't find anything which implies you lost any memory at all.

I like it but it has its detractors. It's heavily luck reliant, and games can potentially take forever if you play multiple laps, if people keep counting spaces, or if you play a large group.

If you dont mind the downtime, it can handle up to 10 players I think, but I wouldnt recommend more than 6.

>fell flat
Depends on the people. Some people hated Power Grid, others didn't enjoy AGoT and so on. I regret buying Machi Koro.

>second chances
Ye, why not.

>unicorn
Front Mission customizable mecha brawl with coop campaign mode, weight/power/payload rules, 3D terrain or modular maps.

So has anyone played Seafall yet? I'm on the fence about getting it. I love the theme, I think legacy works great for it, and I like some of the mechanics, but the two things that worry me are that most of the reviews I've seen say the game drags until you've played through several of the scenarios, and I'm worried that my group will just not want to play anymore once we get halfway in, thus rendering my copy basically useless.

I really, REALLY wish there was a solo variant, but from what I've read, that doesn't seem to be possible in this game.

Any thoughts? And if nothing else, can anyone recommend a game with a similar theme I should look into?

I've been hearing a lot of mixed things about the game too. My friend really wants me to get it because we loved Pandemic Legacy and the theme seems right up his ally, but the stuff I've heard about Seafall has me really worried. I know some people will tell me that the Legacy bubble is just popping, but I feel like while Pandemic did the Legacy thing right, there's a lot of ways to do it wrong. You can't stretch your big events too thin and have sessions where nothing big changes, you can't make its playtime so long to go with that or you'll have to twist arms into continuing hoping for something exciting this session. I'm sure it hits a stride eventually, but everything I've heard is that there's a large hump to get over and I'm not sure my group is capable of getting over it. 3 hour games have to be pretty heavily planned out in advance.

Anyone else excited for the dark souls boardgame? Thoughts on its gameplay? I plegded but never really kept up with the news

Nope, gameplay looks pretty garbage but that's par for the course for a cash grab tie-in.

Minis are cool, game needs polishing, will probably be disappointing for some backers. Worst case scenario, minis will still be nice collector items for fans.

Cash 'n' Guns fell flat with my group. It's depressing because I love playing it and I even liked the sessions I played, but one of my friends wouldn't even consider the idea of dropping his gun and giving up a round and died early both times for it, another I guess was in the mood for a more complicated game even though he was demanding to play The Resistance, and I think the other 3 didn't say much but they never do when it comes to opinions. I've had success with other groups, but my main group won't even consider playing it again.

Me personally, yes. My group, no. We've dumped so many games.

A roughly hour length dungeon crawl game with good components and smooth flowing combat. Roguelike loot where it's like a gumball machine what you get and it's pretty significant or at least fun feeling loot. My current bet is Dark Souls, but we'll see how that pans out. Dungeons crawlers I've played either take too long, don't have enough change in playthroughs to be replayable, or have wonky combat mechanics that bog down the experience.

Tried my friend's copy of Escape the Room and XCOM. They were apparently birthday gifts, but I thought they were pretty whatever. Escape the Room didn't seem to have much of a game in there, and in XCOM it kind of felt that my decisions ultimately didn't matter that much. Rolling only like 2 successes out of several dozen just kind of sucks.

Depends on the game. Some of obviously or irredeemably bad, but there are games where I suspect I just had a particularly unfun one by random chance.

No clue. I'm pretty content with what exists already. Like Codenames is practically endlessly replayable and accommodates 2-∞ players, and just never gets old. It's just so fun and versatile. Maybe I'd like a decently made Scooby-Doo themed game? Usually don't care about how thematic games are but I think I'd like that.

Was roped into playing Railways of the World because all the other groups at my FLGS had started their games. Jesus Christ, I think I'm forever turned off to the entire train game genre.

The last game I gave a second chance to was Terra Mystica and I don't regret it. My first game of it I came close to 40 points behind the person in fourth place. But there was something about it that made me want to get better. A few games later, I eventually bought a copy and now it's my favorite heavy euro.

TM is a light Euro.
A heavy Euro would be Die Macher.

Sorry, I meant medium Euro.

Not according to this, which is what gets passed around.

Somebody brought Betrayal at House on the Hill the other week, and we played that. No one had fun. I think we all wanted to like it, but it was just such a broken mess.

You spend an hour reading the instructions. I understand it's supposed to provide variety and replay value, but we played 3 haunts and they were all so completely different that there was virtually no carryover between them. I'm fine with complex games, but shit, it's so specific that you spend 90% of each game figuring out how to play.

And two, the haunts are all unbalanced as fuck, so once you finally play, the game ends almost instantly and feels pointless. Either the traitor creams everybody or he's fucked from the get-go.

Both of these things together, there's no agency for the players. I never felt like we played the game. I felt like the game played us.

>in b4 muh story, muh atmosphere

I like these things too, but they can't make a compelling board game by themselves.

>CoB
>Heavy
The heaviest thing about it is having to look at the rulebook for a memory jogger on knowledge tiles every now and then.

I didn't make the picture. But it's given out to every newfag who wanders into these threads.

>no carryover, too specific, too unbalanced
Well, that there's the whole point of Betrayal, it's not a campaign where every player is on equal footing, it's loose stories you play in with only a generic haunted house to tie them together, and defeating the villain is tough as hell

Storytelling games are a rare beast, the traitor becomes sort of the GM, if he power plays he can usually end the game super quick and suck all the fun from it. There's got to be some drama, take sub-optimal choices that fit the scene or increases tension, not just zoom for the goals. You have to give them just enough of a margin to believe there's hope before it all crashes down. I've had a lot of fun winning and losing, both as player and traitor.

Yeah, it's a weird game because I can see HOW it should be fun. But then my group played it and it just wasn't.

The game always has at least one player getting royally fucked in the ass, and it's just not enjoyable. Interesting point about the traitor making suboptimal choices...though that didn't really happen with my group.

Maybe it's just my overall philosophy of game design, but I don't understand how a game can be intentionally unbalanced, intentionally confusing, and still be fun. Different strokes, I guess.

>no pixel tactics under cheap games
It's like 10 bucks and pretty fun

don't sweat it, it's not for everyone.

Played my first game of CitOW last night, had to go 3 players because our 4th called in sick so we had Nurgle, Tzeentch and Slaneesh duking it out. Everyone exploded across the 50 point line on the 5th turn from 3 area's being ruined, and Slaneesh won due to having the highest threat. Was pretty good, I'm definitely looking forward to another game. Hopefully with a full 4 players this time.

I have pulled out Talisman 2nd edition recently! It has been one of those games I can go back to, time and time again.

Sentinels of the Multiverse. Goddamn it was boring- every move was really obvious and you were just waiting for it to get back around to you to do your obvious move until something good happens, maybe.

My group dissolved and I have not been able to get another one together yet. With the previous group the last game that fell flat for us was Harbour. A few others that have were Cyclades (our own fault for getting rules wrong), Super Dungeon Explore, and Jab Realtime Boxing.

Usually. I tend to do a three strikes you're out rule. With really longer games 3+ hours I might give up after two plays.

It exists and is Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan.

>pandemic legacy in CSI's zombie sale
Thanks for the spoiler fuccbois.

>fell flat
Castle raven loft dnd boardgames which I liked but 2 of my 4 person group didn't like because you could lose to the game. Pretty shit reason to dislike a co-op game since otherwise you are just bulldozing everything with no tension.

>second chances
Haven't gotten a game I don't like so far but I've only bought around 10 so haven't had to yet.

>unicorn
Fighting game based where over time your deck becomes more custimized to your choices until one or the other player loses. Start out with a deck full of punches and kicks and ramp up to fireballs and machine guns and shit depending on your decisions.

>unicorn
shit user, why not just design that game? Sounds fun.

would it be like yomi: the deckbuilder or would it play completely differently?

You just described what I assume to be a game you'd be forced to play in hell.

Someone wants tile laying like in betrayal?

I remember we used to play 2nd edition way back, and got back in to the game in 4th. No matter the edition, Talisman is a classic, no matter the editions.
I wouldn't necessarily say its a great game, but the value of nostalgia ads up, so it simply becomes one of those great games anyway.

Clash of cultures is the only board game that comes close to replicating Civ (yes, including civilization the board game)

This is relevant to my interests.
Is Clash any good without the expansion? Rather, is it significantly better with it? Seems nearly impossible to get a hold of these days.

Also, TtA 1st ed or 2nd ed? How does it compare to Clash of Cultures?

I like it and I didn't even know it had expansions. It's pretty much a condensed Civ game on the table top (very condensed)

The game is about as involved as monopoly. The choices in the game are less important than luck and essentially boil down to "do I risk it or not?"

Any game that the heavy bulk of it is essentially set up (tile revealing) and that allows players to be eliminated and miss half the game (dang you stood next to the arbitrarily chosen player at the arbitrarily chosen time so you die) isn't a good game in my book.

I think players like betrayal for what they want it to be or what they imagine it will be based on occult theming (see oija boards and seances) reinforced by the "betrayer" leaving the room for a bit.

It seems like something my friends and I would enjoy, if any of us had a table big enough to play it.

Seriously, who thought that Betrayal-style exploration with foot-by-foot tiles would be a good idea?

Ha ha, finally someone else who plays this game! I play the most recent version with a crap ton of expansions, and although it can get kinda predictable if someone gets an op character (see elemental guy from the city expansion), I'm suprised how fun it still is.

I should really start finding the older copies, as I really want to play in space again. But hey, they might actually remake the one I want, and not another freaking apocolapsye expansion. Oh well.

It's fun only if you consider it like a story generator.
I still fondly remember the time I was eaten by a giant blob because I took a wrong turn and was trapped in the courtyard.

I usually play with my dad and brothers, but as all my brothers are in college.... But, when we did play, games didn't fall flat for us. Sure, one of my bros doesn't like 7 wonders as much (side note: what's so bad about euro games?), but if he didn't want to play that we would play something else. I don't know, I just think my family is tolerant

My unicorn game, however, would be a mix between magic: the gathering, hero scape and talisman (But NOT the lame magic arena crap WOTC hastily threw together, either), as you can pick a character (or even planeswalker) at random and have a custom board of some sorts and go to town.

I think I can just print out some stuff and play test it a lot, but I'm pretty sure the best wizards would do is just reprint hero scape, but I'm still totally ok with that.

I've never seen it produce a compelling story that consisted of anything beyond the short description in the book. I've also never made a truly meaningful decision while playing the game. After a few plays the mechanics are so similar that I "get" it and it doesn't really feel like I'm playing a new story. Also, imo, I don't feel like revealing tiles adds anything to the game, but it takes up over half the play time usually.

I'm new to modern boardgames. I have Elder Sign and Pandemic, I was looking at Scythe but it looks super heavy. How much of a learning curve am I looking at if I wanted to get into it?

The demo they showed off was pretty flat but it was also a very beta-y demo made purely to show off how bosses would work. Equipment, class, spells, level ups, and such were all not a factor in the demo they showed off, and we have heard so little about what progressing through the level prior to the boss will entail.

I'm not entire convinced it will be great, but I've been following it, they've made pretty large improvements since the demo video and their goal to set out an make a relatively quick play dungeon crawler is a niche I've really wanted filled for a while now. Maybe it's just the fact that I've put money down on it already talking, and that certainly is something to discredit me, but I'm hyped for the actual game and not just the pretty looking models. Dungeon crawlers have all had little issues for me for a while, whether it be the game ending up too simple, the game ending up too convoluted, being forced to have a player controlling all the dungeon elements or not being all that random making it impossible to replay really. This game is aiming right where I want them to. Just have to see if they hit their mark.
Yeah, that is a genuine concern. I have a 4x8 table which is huge, but never really considered just how much space it's going to take up. You take down and start exploring a new after a boss, but even before then that's going to be how many rooms active at once?

Anybody play desperate gods before? Its a free game on compooter and i really liked it back in the day. Would love to find a better kind of game that feels sorta the same... talisman seems the closest thing. Id be ok with a non physical board game too as long as its got that vibe

If you havent heard of it, its pretty chill and id recommend it if you wanna try to get normies into board games, def makes the transition from my experience :)

By the way, would anybody recommend the talisman game on steam? Im hesistant coz its 15 bucks and i think id rsther just jump into the physical board game itself but just curious what user thinks.