Android: Legend of the Five Yugimon: The Gatheringstone

The rules for the disgusting mashup of every card-game I could feasibly shove in a container are complete.

It involves grid based combat, a powerful avatar who gets their own deck, Honor, creatures having subroutines, pendulum zones, casting cards through caster creatures rather than globally, a Jury, dark gods and at least 8 win conditions.

It’s feasible for your buffed eldritch Pichu can hack into your opponents orc warrior to dishonor him.

WAYS PEOPLE CAN CONTRIBUTE:
A way to shorten the name that’s better than YLotFYtG. I was previously calling it TCG: the trading card game, which could shorten to TCG if people prefer that.

Cards that matter in any given game. I can restat them for balance in YLotFYtG, or you can if you’re into things. Ideally covering making a well rounded card set from as wide a variety of sources as possible.

Lore. In the last thread someone proposed “Ancient Egyptian card game wizards called Planeswalkers capture mystical creatures, then summon them to do battle in the grim cyberpunkness of modern day Japan.” Alternatives or expansion upon this is very welcome.

HOW YOU CAN PLAY IT:
I’ll be posting again when I have test decks set up. See how people can contribute to make that come faster, if you want.
Do people print and play? I personally write things out on cue cards, since it’s easy, cheap, and quick to modify. I would hope not to prioritize card images and keep things to text as long as I can, which works fine if other people use the cue card method.
I have tried and failed to learn magic set editor, which would make image making much easier, but I could try again.

You can also link me to a deck for some game and I can try to build it in ALotFYtG and post the deck when it’s done, but I’d prefer that cards come from many sources when possible.
Full rules: https:// docs.google.com/document/d/1r9ZUfrwa07i83v99ifftzPEkqa_wQ8zO37K169EJZp4/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the current playmat.

You seem like an alright guy

this is an abomination and I love it

if only I had any idea what half these things are

So what goes in the God zone?

Gods obviously.

There's a type of card in Hecatomb for dark gods, which act kind of like enchantments with an enter the battlefield effect, and which each player can have only one of.

I might reduce it to just being a subtype with special rules and make it an enchantment, but I like having a space labelled "GOD"

No Cardfight Vanguard, Weiss Schwarz or Force of Will?

All joking aside, I fucking love it OP. Godspeed you crazy bastard.

Wooah, haven't heard of the last two. Gotta squeeze them for content.

I tried hard to fit cardfight in, but couldn't do it without dumbing the game down. I did collect some mechanics that can be used on cards though.

Is there a good way to make a more permanent home for this project? Or is remaking the thread occasionally a good way to get stuff done?

Google docs maybe? Keep private copies of course, but share ones that other people can comment on and stuff.

And that is a shame. I'd love to be able to Ride the Vanguard alongside all that other bonkers stuff.

Threads would be the best. Your other options would be shitty blogs but that basically guarantees a dead project.

Could you sell me on Vanguard mechanics? And if possible, how it would work with grid based tactical combat? While sorting through a huge dump of obscure card games some of the finer points were probably lost on me.

Thinking now, I could say that one creature is The Vanguard, and have that be its own thing, though I feel like that would end up really invasive. The vanguard is basically the Duelist player avatar, and that can't be rided on up since it's a fleshed out character with a big set of abilities.

I was laughing out loud then I released this is not a joke and now I'm very concerned.

Does the game have any draw/tie conditions?

Sounds like you want a Force of Will Ruler, which have one side where theyre off field and have some abilities, then you pay a cost and flip them to the other side where they are a creature with other abilities. What we very clearly need to do, is, on top of this mechanic, give the creature version a Grade, which when you raise your Ruler's Power Level (from Score/Panini's DBZ card game) high enough you can Ride a higher Grade Ruler from your Ruler deck.

I don't think so. I can't think of any offhand. Normally if both players lose, one of them can be said to have lost before the other.

For the record, current win conditions are:

Kill the enemies Duelist.
Mill them.
Destroy all 4 of their holdings.
Kill 4 of their Heroes. (number may change)
Collect the 5 rings.
Reach 40 honor.
Opponent reaches -20 honor
Collect 7 agenda points.

I like the absurd complexity, and my hesitation only has to due with the fragile nature of things, since it's important that added complexity not slow the game down or break things that work well.

Questions:

It's important that the opponent can aggro at your Duelist early game. How does that work if they're not always on the field?

Can Riding Grades be combined with pokemon evolution?

I'll finish rewriting the Duelist rules in the gdoc I posted above and you'll have a better idea what currently exists and how it can be changed.

Maybe don't nessecarily make it your Duelist. Maybe that could be what the God spot is for.

I thought about that when trying to make Vanguard work. Maybe that could be what Sensei is about.

I discarded it before to preserve the balance going on with unit power in relation to the importance of keeping them alive.

Currently its like a triangle.
Duelist is very powerful, can usually kill a guy if he wants him dead, but also that means taking face damage.

Heroes (the casters) are usually very good in combat, but if 4 of them die you lose, and when one dies you lose all the time you spent gradually powering them up. You attach cards for them to tap for mana, so its a big setback if one dies.

Creatures are not godlike, but atleast they're disposable.

I think something competing with the Duelist for king of the arena would make play more hidey and turtley since there would be less need to press your luck with the Duelist. Also it would make the triangle unhappy.

Cards of mechanics in lesser games should also be included, imo. Sorry for the MtGesque formatting if it makes it awkward for you.

Charge and Draw
Extra Mechanic
At the end of the draw step, you may exile a card facedown under this card, then draw a card.
Send a card exiled by ~ to the graveyard: Add (some quantity of generic mana) to your mana pool.

(whatever the card stacking mechanic in Hecatomb was called)
Extra Mechanic
When a creature enters the battlefield, you may put it on top of another creature you control. Creatures at the top of a stack gain +x/+y, where X and Y are the total power and toughness of creatures underneath them, and gain all abilities of creatures underneath them.

I completely agree : )
I have somewhat compiled things like that, but not in a very organized way. I've been ignoring mechanics that aren't particularly core to the game for the test decks, but there's a lot of room for ripping things off.

I'll copy those to the doc.

What are the 5 rings? They as simple to get as Exodia or do you actually have to do something to get them?

Its a Lot5R thing. Basically you have copies of the rings in your deck. They're like sucky spells by default. They each have a condition though, and if you fullfill that condition while it's in your hand you can play it to its own zone, which I forgot to add. Once it's played there its a permanent which you can tap and pay the cost for to pay the spell effect each turn.

You can deckbuild in versions of each ring which fit your playstyle best, but the different conditions ensure you're somewhat well rounded.

Also if you get all of them you win, due to enlightenment.