/swg/ - Stealth Operations Edition

Post about X-Wing, Armada, FFG's Star Wars RPGs, d6, d20 (Saga), movies, shows, books, comics, vidya, lego, lore and everything else Star Wars related

Previous Thread: Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZkpXpbJ1

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

HoTAC
>dockingbay416.com/campaign/

Late night thread creation to keep things connected.

I don;'t like this user's Bryar but it's better than the EAfront one.

That image fucks my brain

>Of course, the hunt doesn’t usually begin with a pursuit. You usually have to first spend time finding your quarry. That becomes exponentially easier with a new Signature Ability, Always Get My Mark. If you’re on the same planet as the person you’re looking for, have two Destiny Points to spare and can pass a hard Streetwise check, you’ll instantly find him. Even more, the Game Master then launches a new encounter beginning when you reach his location.

That seems... very good. My party rarely uses Destiny Points but I can see this being used constantly.

Think there's a "once per session" limit?

And I wonder if instantly includes narrative time.

Well, it is an illicit and inherently faulty cloaking device, nothing at all like the finely engineered Imperial technology.

This post sponsored by Sienar Fleet Systems.

I got way more mileage out of Destiny Points when I stopped thinking about them mechanically and started thinking about them narratively. They fulfill their purpose when used at the most dramatic moment possible.

>Lying to Prince Xizor about something
>DESTINY

>Bad guy drops girl down the Sarlacc pit
>Swing across pit, catch girl, shoot bad guy
>DESTINY MOTHERFUCKER

>Jedi Guardian PC elects to side with revived Sith Lord
>Attacks party member
>Makashi Duelist PC intercepts
>Makashi Duelist natively has four yellow dice when using lightsaber
>TWO FUCKING DESTINY POINTS
>Makashi Duelist rolls six yellows for his attack
>Overpowered: The target leaves himself open, and the attacker may immediately attempt another free attack against him, using the EXACT SAME POOL as the original attack.
>Six yellows
>Overpowered
>Six yellows
>Overpowered
>Six yellows
>Maimed. Traitor Guardian is brought to 0 Wounds and loses his arm.
>Makashi Duelist curb stomps the unconscious Traitor Guardian and gets a shitload of Conflict.

>Jedi Artisan Padawan is preventing a reactor overload from exploding a city district by rerouting the heat/pressure from the reactor itself into the engineering bay with the full knowledge that this would cook her alive.
>DESTINY
>Jedi Artisan passes her Trial of Courage and dies as a Jedi Knight.
>I was goddamned proud of her.

So I understand the standard n'dru build is lone wolf, cluster missiles, glitterstim and guidence chips.
Could it be worth running him with VI and a homing missile instead to try get some early damage through on an ace like soontir?

>spoilers
That's some neat shit.

So, I've just encountered either the best or worst X-wing variant game: Drink and Fly mode.
You take a shot at the start of each turn, AND during the game, you can take a shot at any time to clear a stress, or two for an extra action. I watched a game tonight and it looks fuckin fun as hell and crazy as fuck.
Thought I'd share it with y'all on the off chance any of you are interested

Critique my shitty list, /swg/.

>Poe Dameron - BB-8, Veteran Instincts, Autothrusters
>Ten Numb - Autoblaster, Fire Control system, B-Wing/E2, Hera Syndulla
>Gold Sqdn. Pilot - R3-A2, Dorsal Turret

I don't have Most Wanted so if I decide use BTL-A4 it'll be proxied.

I'll raise you one.

And Ten has Wired for his EPT

So I have a Soldier character, and for plot reasons I want to have him go the Force sensitive route. What are some force specs and powers that synergize with shooting duders with a rifle, rather than swording them?

Would creating an oversized capitalship scale fighter called the Tenloss Terrorbird with angle changing wings mounting huge cannons, a cloak, and a highly plagiarized design be a little too silly a thing to do as a GM?

Possibly smuggling whaladons kidnapped from Dac?

Just give them a Marauder, it's basically the Star Wars equivalent of a BoP anyway. Make sure to equip it with a nose mounted Heavy Torpedo Launcher ;)

>Henrietya Antilles

Any relation to Wedge? She's a shoe-in if we end up playing F&D and it'd be a nice bit of fluff.

Is that how DP-to-upgrade works? I thought you upgraded dice, and if you couldn't, you added a green then upgraded (so two points would mean +1 yellow)

Also where's that Overpowered thing? Critical result or a Makashi thing?

Nah, Antilles is more or less the space version of Smith, Jones, Kowalski and the like. It's the most common and sidespread surname for corillians, in particular

Ah, I'm too used to settings where names tend to be unrealistic like that.
Still good for some flavour, a Knowledge check and whatnot. Couldn't find a reference on her page, so thanks.

Here's a question I've been dying to have answered.

I've seen some groups, especially on R20, for EotE that start at 300 exp.

Does this include character creation xp or xp gained from additional obligation during same?

Generally speaking, I mean.

I'll raise you another

I mean, it's more or less purely an EU thing, but it makes sense in a good way

Also, I recently picked up some firefly RPG stuff, and a certain page seemed a bit interesting to /swg/. In a few, I'll have a PDF to printscreen and upload for y'all

Oh yeah it does, much better than the "no two people share a surname" thing, or having them all be siblings.
Cause hey surnames come from an occupation or a location usually, either there's like ONE guy who had a mill/a smithy/a bakery etc and he had a fuckload of kids... Or unrelated people share a surname because that's how surnames WORK. I like it, even if it takes away the "Ok you're a pilot guy you know Wedge Antilles"

I mean, wedge isn't exactly a common first name, and even so, it's probably a "oh, his name is wedge antilles? Not THE Wedge Antilles, right?. No, so, your buddy wedge did what?" situation more than anything else

It's very likely to have a once per session limit, since I do believe all Signature Abilities have that. Whether or not it has an upgrade to let you use it twice a session is another story; but I'd guess it wouldn't have that upgrade since this is the more narrative Signature Ability for the career, which puts it more in line with Inventive Creation, Insightful Revelation, Diplomatic Solution, and so on, which tend not to have that upgrade.

If he isn't force-sensitive already, get Exile or Emergent, since that's the only way you'll be able to get actual use out of Force talents. Emergent has some nice more general use talents, but Exile has the much more rare talents that innately give you defense increases.

Guardian/Warleader adds more of supportive talents to allies and has a very slight lean towards Ranged (Light), Seeker/Hunter is a mix of general gun combat and Survival, and Seeker/Executioner is basically all about taking your target out in one shot.

It isn't. You're right that upgrades go into increments, so one upgrade means either a green into yellow or green added if everything yellow. But also you can only flip a Destiny Point once per action; so barring anything else that could potentially alter the dice pool, it should've capped at 4 yellow and 1 green from 1 Destiny Point flip. And yes, Overpowered is a critical injury (76-80).

I would assume it's all experience applied post-character generation, ie. your starting experience/ bonuses from Obligation/Duty/Morality wouldn't apply to the amount, otherwise it would cause a major imbalance.

I still fail to see what makes it so horrible.

Nah what I had in mind was like, the party coming across from her and being all "Oh hey you're Antilles, any relation to Wedge?" or something, just a bit of fluff. I don't even know if we'll have a pilot, but she'll be an easy NPC to slot in, especially for FnD like I said (That holocron belongs in a museum)

well, that's still a plenty understandable reaction from them as don't know corillians, which considering who F&D PCs are likely to be,is reasonable enough

as for the firefly thing, witness pic related. though, I admit, this moonshine may very well have gone and struck me blind, but don't this look uncanny like a YG-4210?

I have a bit of a problematic player Veeky Forums

He plays well to his characters RP but the issue is among a party of greed oriented but not totally amoral characters it is his players secret goal to learn and practice Sith lore.

He has the right career skills with a focus on knowledge of all kinds but I worry that I can't really give him what he wants without his character leaving the game.

He will likely either be killed by whatever artifiact he finds or killed by his party when they discover what a dangerous liability he is.

Is there a way to give the player what he wants without it basically removing him from the game?

Yeah, only change is that the answer would be "Nah, Antilles is a common name. Wedge is cool though." rather than "Yeah, distant cousin. Not close enough for embarrassing stories, unfortunately." or something.

And yeah there's the resemblance there. Not 1-1 copy, but VERY suspiciously close outside of details.

>He will likely either be killed by whatever artifiact he finds
Since he knows the lore, can you drop hints of that? "Sith artifacts carry the promise of great power... but only for those worthy", "If you can't handle it, bad shit" etc?

>Since he knows the lore, can you drop hints of that?

Yeah, although I think it would do little to dissuade it. My players all come from a video game background so it's a bit harder to explain that since RPGs are much less bound than a videogame it is much more possible to put yourself in unwinnable circumstances.

Just as a general thing to anyone in the thread do their exist any splatbooks, for any Star Wars RPG really. That include Sith artefacts or lore?

I know there is an FaD one with artefacts but I believe they are all "Light side"

Bardottan Sphere and Neer's Gauntlet in Nexus of Power and Sith Shield in Keeping the Peace all have dark side leanings.

Yeah that's an issue with vidya. There are examples in games, that are less "-10% hp +100% swagkickattackpowerthing". You can be 100% clear that if he fucks up even the slightest bit (and even mechanically, those should be SUPER hard checks to make), he's not gonna be a happy panda.
Or are they going for more of a "I wanna study it to see how it works and how to use it to not be terrible"? Cause that can have interesting vibes. Doesn't sound that way though.

And sorry don't know about artefacts.

>design a major faction around pinpoint flying and arc-dodging by giving them superb manueverabikity at the cost of durability and attack power
>introduce a weapon type that doesn't require lines of sight to fire, can very reliably put out damage, and then give it to every other ship available to the largest faction with the most durable vessels
This kills the imperial player

Are you talking about Black Market Slicer Tools?

He might be talking about turrets or TLT's? But that's what Autothrusters are for.
And Palpatine.

my TIE fighter keeps exploding on me, how do I fix this?

Flight Officer L117

It's like poetry... It rhymes.

Wishlist for the book?

Personally I'm hoping for sexy tracking and wilderness gear so I can turn my Survivalist into Riddick from the start of the second movie.

SoroSuub-related incidents are not covered under warranty. With proper maintenance and use, there are no explosions.
If issues persist, contact your superiors.

It seems a bit late in the game to start crying about turrets though.

That's my standard N'dru build. VI, homing, chips, glitterstim. It's bonkers against ace types.

>Poe
Pretty standard, looks fun. Might go PtL for arc dodging fun.
>Ten
Autoblaster is so fucking expensive, ditch it. Mangler or Calculation are best to get those guaranteed crits.
>Y
R3-A2 greatly benefits from range 3 shots, namely TLT and title

Not a bad list

It'll get even sillier when the players make their inevitable trip to Tatooine and see Skywalker-brand wine on store shelves. Grab a bottle of the real deal for added effect.

My suggestions:
>Poe Dameron
Fine.
>Ten Numb
Drop Autoblaster, drop Hera, keep Wired, put Ezra in her slot. Always do Red maneuvers, always be critting.
>Gold Sqdn
With the points you saved dropping Autoblaster, acquire TLT. Add title.

>Bardottan Sphere

Interesting. It says it raises the users Force Rating by 1. Does that mean a non-force sensitive with a rating of zero could gain a rating of one while possessing this item?

>EotE campaign
>Memorabilia collector asks for something from the Skywalker homestead
>Bottles are easy to find

That's a good idea.

Is that the USS Prometheus from Star Trek? nice.

Looks more like something from I-War.

So my options are to buy a $100 ship for one card or buy two or three $10 ships for one card? Sweet.

Or use proxies.

People assume that every single character in a setting MUST have 100% accurate information about everything. Characters are never allowed to be wrong, or talking out their ass about shit they don't know.

I STILL think it should be called Super Bombad Dogfights.

Its got a Blanc side, a Noir side and that one fucking arsehole that turns up to your party with a 4L box of it and vomits on the carpet

Yes, you're paying $100 for exactly 1 card.

Turbofag

It's not like I'm ever going to get to use the bigass ship it comes with.

>implying it doesnt come with cards to make the tie advanced good as well as another model

>Implying tie advanced aren't awesome
>Implying epic isn't fun as fuck

Kill yourself

This If your friends or LGS don't allow proxies (outside formal events) then the problem is on your end, not the game's end.

What could this be used for? One of those upped up Z-95s?

Enhance is pretty good force power for a rebel rifleman. First off unless you're leaping around the battlefield like a spiced up Skywalker it's a subtle force power that won't attract inquisitorial attention. You get to add force die pips as successes to soldier-y skills like piloting, athletics, brawl, etc. With enough experience you can commit your force die to increasing your agility or brawn statistic. And you also get access to Force Leap (after enough experience is dumped into enhance) which can let you: disengage from melee, jump up to medium range to any position as a maneuver, and become a real kiting bastard.

>Soldier gets separated then chased into a dead end alley by bounty hunters.
>Soldier's turn
>Use a destiny point to introduce the fact that there's an out of reach fire escape on the building next to him in short range of his position.
>activate force leap to jump onto the building's fire escape.
>Next turn you run away via force leap parkour from roof top to roof top, or get into elevated hard cover for some sniping. (If you have leap as a maneuver, then you can do all of this in just one turn)

Another fun maneuver is to force leap into engaged range then use a buffed brawl check (or a short ranged heavy weapon) to catch people fleeing. i.e. You can become a Jediboo linebacker.

TIE Advanced is pretty shit without the title or Vader, yo.

Look at context.
He was saying the Advanced is super cool, so those copies of the Title that come with the Raider are another good thing you get, poking a hole in the "$100 ship I'll never use for one card" argument.

Making the back part a little too smoth and shotgun like and the barrel in front so narrow.

Not quite heavy enough on the wing cannons (It gives no bonus whatsoever to the long ass cannons compared to the hull mounted turbos) and the actual BoP fits the Tenloss look rather well, plus the wing disruptors are exotic.

The title helps it considerably. It wasn't scyk-levels of shit without it, it was just underperforming.

Vader is purely just the too level Ace in the Advanced, and by no means the only "not shit" one to fly.
-PS 2 generic Advanced can be given Accuracy Correctors for a constant, reliable, minimum of 2 damage result each turn for only 21 pts.
-Lt Colzert can be combined with Wampa for a disturbingly good combo. Combined with Palpatine to ensure Wampa gets that required crit result, makes it worse to go against. I watched a game where IG-B was dead after two Direct Hits flipped up in a row from Colzert's ability, and he hadn't even lost a shield.
-Alozen is the cheapest EPT Advanced, and comes with built in action economy that allows a low-PS to get target lock.
-Zertik is alright if you're building to troll, and works well with Carnor Jax, Dark Curse, and Omega Leader.
-Merek Steele... Meh. The Title makes him better. But Defender is where he's best.
-And finally Juno. Juno, ringing in at 1pt below the mighty Vader, is probably the most unappreciated understudy in the game. She's fucking amazing, and can be built in so many different ways. Give her Juke and Accuracy Corrector, and she's a workhorse reliably pushing 1 to 2 damage through on anything a turn. And blocking her is most often times wishful thinking. Give her Advanced Sensors, and she'll only be blocked if you're making the a bonehead mistake. Her one problem is that there is never a reason to give her PtL, because Vader will do more, for less. But that's fine, because PtL isn't what you want her for, anyways.

*looks in Core Rulebook*
Whoops, guess we got it wrong. I don't entirely regret it because the result was so awesome, but I'm kind of surprised that the Traitor Guardian didn't catch it since he's such a stickler for the rules.

Oh well; it isn't Star Wars if nobody loses an arm.

Judging by the mechanics rules and the fluff, it appears to grant the initial Force Rating increase regardless of being attuned with it and doesn't strictly require a force rating for that initial increase, and then the further increases from sucking somebody up requires force sensitivity (which at that point any character that isn't a droid would have). So... I'm going to go with yes, you could technically have Force Rating 0 and go up to 1 just by having it.

Oh yeah I wasn't posting to spite you, I'm a newbie to the system and wanted to make sure I was remembering.
I'll probably be GMing so if shit is as dramatic as that, I'd probably allow two destiny point uses (to 5 yellow dice), for example

Fluff-wise, it would make sense too. The Frangawl cult in TCW could use it to extract the living force present in non-sensitive individuals, so if it can go one way, it can presumably go the other.

Spacebump

Do we have any good lists with the tie SF yet? It looks to be very unimpressive, but I hope I'm wrong.

Backdraft with stay on target, advanced sensors, and title can be pretty mean if you fly it right

What's the best list that someone can make with 3 T-70 X-wings?

I want to say it would be 2 Veterans and PS-9 Poe, but I'm not sure if that makes sense.

>not fying 3 T-65s
>not flying the Holy Trinity of Wedge, Wes, Hobbie
Shit taste, fampai.

It's a self-imposed restriction, I find them fun.

Also, I only buy ships that I can fit in my case, and the entirety of my rebels will be 3 T-70's, a Falcon, and an Outrider.

>only owning one case

Sounds about right to me. A Red Squadron Veteran with PTL and an R2 has the action economy and stress management of an Interceptor, and comes in at a cool 30pts even.

I've thought about springing a TIE fighter pilot campaign idea in AotR to my players. How screwed are they if they agree?

very. especially with the stock space combat rules

Give them each squadrons and they'll last a little longer. Otherwise there's homebrew solutions in the OP.

Under the stock rules? Nobody will survive the first mission.
With house rules, it'd still be pretty fucking dangerous, but not unfun like with the base rules

Use the latest Empire version of the Heroes of the Aturri Cluster (Villains of...), for X-Wing. That way you ignore the hyper-lethal space combat rules, and replace them with a fun hyper-lethal board game!

Wait, they've got an Imp version?
Last I heard it was a long ways off due to needing to work out the AI for rebel ships.

Even with house rules they'd be pretty fucked, the ol TIE is a flimsy piece of shit when it comes to taking any kind of beating.
You might get away with something like 'squadron rules' from one of the GM's guides using NPC's as ablative armour though... but I guess if they survive a couple of missions they might get bumped up to Interceptors and never forget- fucking up a couple of missions will get them sent to some shithole, backwater planet where nothing ever happens. They end up flying piece of shit TIE's with no spares, Lambda spess buses and buzzing the natives when they get enough fuel.

Check the FFG forums for Villains of the Aturri Cluster. They've got a lot of the AI worked out, and what's left just needs playtestinf and fleshing out. A couple of the balance ideas is to run wingmen Tie Fighters for anyone stuck in an ion-drive coffin, or to use Z-95s as the first shit you start seeing.

>buy two or three $10 ships for one card?
The Starviper comes with two autothrusters.
You'll never need more than two.

And, besides that,
>design a major faction around pinpoint flying and arc-dodging by giving them superb manueverabikity at the cost of durability and attack power

Aren't you forgetting a little detail called swarms? You know, the ones that eat fat turrets alive and never fail to show up in the top rankings?

>You'll never need more than two.
Unless you're running triple-ceptors like a real Imperial.

does adding an extra result count as modifiying your dice? if not accuracy corrector backdraft would be pretty good.

otherwise just the cheapngeneric with fcs for 25 points is probably a decent choice

no he's right. 2 starvipers gets you 4 Autothrusters cards.

Thought he meant you'd never need more than two autothrusters, not two starvipers.

My understanding is you roll and cancel your results. Then you add 2 hits and your pilot crit

Glad to see someone else here understands the power of the Advanced. A few things though.

Yes the TIE Advanced was worse than the Scyk on release. It was literally the worst ship the game has ever seen. 20 point sycks with manglers are worthless ships. Pre-fix Advanced were literally worthless. Even Vader was just bad. They gave the damn thing a 5 point upgrade for one point just to make it modestly competitive. The scyk really just needs an additional hull.

The Advanced is a lot like the X-wing, a mediocre ship with some amazing pilots.

I think Alozen is one of the most underrated pilots in the game. crackshot/VI and ATC and he's good to go for 27 points. He can also set up proton rockets beautifully.

Zertik is way more than alright. He can be absolutely mean in a big scrimmage, denying your opponent more red dice and tilting the round in your favor. Also one of the few Advanced I've seen run efficiently without ATC (he takes SJ).

Marek is amazing in an Advanced. Take VI and ATC, you're set. I've taken a Y-wing with no shields down in one attack, the two crits I picked were both DH. He has a harder time doing damage in this era of super aces compared to when he came out, but he doesn't have to switch his TL nearly as often either.

Darth Vader with EU and ATC might actually be the worst small ship to fight in a 1v1.

Juno is one of the best endgame ships, and she often is so unassuming that she gets to be your last ship. I prefer to run her with VI and ATC, and she is also an excellent proton rocket carrier.

20 point mangler scyks are not worthless. They're fragile but they at least have decent damage output.

Maarek with ATC is hilarious.

I was in the same situation as you once, except I gave him Calculating. Rolled a natural crit and an eyeball, added his free ATC crit, spent the focus.

That's three crits. I picked up nine cards. Fortunately, one of the first three and one of the last three were direct hits, so that Y-Wing went down.

That was the final shot of the game, too.

excellent.

>Went to local game store for the first time
>Actually had a nice time and had the best game I've ever flown
Loved it. Preordered the ARC and the Owner gave me a small discount too.

To any user who's worried about going to a game store, just do it. It's fun.

Incom TIE/info when?

Stealing both of these, awesome ways to introduce new players or spice up the game.

Man, it must be tough seeing things with that cockpit design.

Thane's one of my favorite new canon characters so I really wanna use him when I get my hands on the ARC. What's good on him? I was thinking R2-D2, Vectored Thrusters, Title, Seismic Torpedoes.

Might give Seismic to something else, but I feel like keeping Thane basic is best.

Question:

Is Star Wars roleplaying at its best when it is cliche, or when the GM tries to make something completely new?

What makes a good Star Wars game?