MTG

I just spent $40 on this yesterday and played twice. It's my first time ever owning magic cards. How'd I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/white-artifact-deck-first-time-deck-build/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sealed products are never worth what they cost. Those are a decent way to get into the game but from now on only open sealed for drafting, otherwise purchase singles online from tcgplayer.

Have fun this game sucks.

So I just got a bunch of shit cards?
Fuckin leeeel.

Played two games and it seemed fun. I used to play yugioh waaayyyy back.

You did great if you had fun. Don't seek opinions on the Internet. Just enjoy the game. Get back to us when you're as jaded as this chucklefuck.

Also what is "sealed for drafting"?

Naturally the cards you start with will not be very strong but it's relative. I'm sure it was the same with yugioh.

>I just spent $40 on this
Isn't the MSRP $25? Or are those maple bucks?

Draft is when you enter a pod of x people, each of you have three packs. You each open one pack and select or "draft" a card and pass it to the next person. When that pack is depleted, you each open the next pack and repeat this process until all cards have been drafted. Then you each construct a deck from the cards you drafted and play against each other.

Drafting is a type of mini tournament where parts the entrance fee buys everyone a few booster packs. Everyone opens them, picks a certain number of cards and then passes the rest to the next person and so on.

You them build a deck from the cards you end up with and you keep them afterwards.

I had a man in a white van drive around my neighborhood selling food and at the beginning of yugioh he'd trade cards for food.

I got a raigeki for .50 and a 1st edition monster reborn for $1. I doubt I have cards as standard as those.

It was some 275 count box and a black and green starter pack. Both were 20$

Well pic related was a thing

Totally unrelated, but that set symbol... i can't believe I never realized, but the horns on the side are meant to be Ob Nixilis's and they're the exact same shape as Aether Revolt's set symbol. Hell, Aether Revolt's set symbol looks even MORE like Ob Nixilis.

Drafts are tournament formats where you get usually 5 or 6 sealed booster packs. You open the first one, pick a card, pass the remaining card to another player and get what is left drom another guy. Then you pick another card , pass on your cards and repeat until all packs are open.

Then you build a deck with those card and play a tournament.
Where i come from you keep the commons and uncommons, all rares are put on a table after play and people get to pick in order depending on their placement. Everyone still gets the same amount of cards, just not always the one they want. It's done to prevent someone drafting out all the rares and just going home with them regardless of performance.

It's a fun way to spend an evening, try whacky combos and get rid of 15+ bucks.

I would probably just lose at those. I'm at the, "gonna just match colors" stage

There are two basic types of playing MTG:

>Constructed:
Build your deck from your collection. Have it ready before the event.
There are several formats, but for now, all you'll care to know are Standard, Modern and Commander/EDH.

>Draft:
Build a 40-card deck from packs you open at the event.
Normal drafts use 3 packs. Open your first pack, pick a card from the 15 and pass the rest to your neighbor, pick from the 14 that you got passed by your other neighbor and pass the rest. Continue until all cards are picked, do the same until all packs are drafted.
Sealed drafts typically use 6 boosters. You just open your 6 packs and make a deck from what's in them. No trading allowed.

I know nothing about yugioh. Are you saying eternal staples are in pre-constructed product? To my knowledge that's only happened twice in magic. Once with Umezawa's Jitte and again with Stoneforge Mystic.

It's a great place to learn card evaluation and build your collection, my man.

>just gonna match colors
You can do exactly that in draft and you'll learn something along the way.

Is it gonna be full of elite autists or will I have a chance to stroke my ego a bit?

I'd say it's not the best place to learn the game though, especially if you're still learning the basic color identities and archetypes.
Really depends on the store. I'd recommend going to the Kaladesh Prerelease next weekend, since it's sealed, and you're not going to fuck yourself over with your draft picks.

The playing field is a little more even in a draft environment but that doesn't mean you won't run into assholes or player with really good knowledge of the draft environment. The mtg community is a bit of a mix bag so I can't guarantee it one way or another. Just be sure not to trade until you understand what you have. There are card sharks that will try to capitalize on your lack of knowledge.

Is that like a global event? I live in Hawaii and the one hobby store I know of does big events from time to time.

You did alright user. For 40 bucks I would have recommend one of the commander precons, but those decks usually have a few sought after cards in them, don't let the internet discourage you. Have fun and play the way you want. Netdecking and playing lesser formats will only get you so far.

Yugiohs entire printing philosophy is to take all the most expensive standard cards and reprint them so hard they hit dirt and keep on going until they reach Earths inner core.

>mixed
If I win one match I'd be super stoked.

Yup, every game store worldwide that sells MtG hosts it.

We get them up here in Canada, so I assume yes. Not sure what distribution is like over there, so just ask them or check their website to see what they're doing for it.

For kitchen table is a good buy, for competitive it's not. If you are planning on going to tournaments know thats it's a very expensive game (unless you play a format like pauper, but not every store does that).

The idea was just kitchen table but other anons make it seem like a neat hobby.

We've been playing a lot of smash-ups recently and I kinda just wanted something new instead of everybody fighting for the same goddamned decks.

>Hawaii
Man, I have a buddy that lives in Guam and he has some real difficulty getting his hands on out of print cards. Shipping is a bitch for the islands.

>5 or 6
You fucking what? It's 3 packs you mong.

They're telling you not to open sealed products unless you're doing it for draft

yeah, he was thinking of sealed, which is 6.

Seems cool. I started with a Deckbuilder's Toolkit into Limited into Standard... into Modern into EDH. Prepare to spend a lot of money on this.

A LOT

Hopefully I don't go nuts, but I have bills and other stuff to get thankfully.

On a total unrelated note, if you don't draw any lands can you redraw?

>mfw Guams prices are worse than the 808

Mulligan. If you don't like your hand, reshuffle it into your deck, draw 1 fewer card. You can do this as many times as you wish. After you take your hand, topcheck 1 and you can bottom it if you want. In my experience, if you get below 6 cards to start with, you may as well scoop. In certain more casual formats there exists the "Big deck mulligan" which lets you mulligan if you have certain amounts of lands in hand for free, but these formats ask you to have 200+ cards or such.

Nope. This is one of the most skill testing aspects of the game. Either you will get screwed or flooded with lands and quit out of frustration, or you will learn proper land ratios/ deck construction and identify cards that can help smooth out your draws and all but eliminate these issues. This game is easy to learn but difficult to master.

>In my experience, if you get below 6 cards to start with, you may as well scoop
I've won after going down to 4 against an opponent who stayed at 7. The Scry1 is very helpful.

Additionally, is partially correct in that the mulligan is an important decision. Be sure to keep a hand that is playable. It will take some time to learn what one looks like and depends on what kind of deck you are playing. However he is incorrect about scooping with a hand of 6 or less, albeit your chances of success do diminish in relation to a shrinking hand size. This is getting into some of the nitty gritty of the game and may be too much to cover for a fresh player such as yourself. If your interested, do some research on the principles of card advantage. It's interesting stuff.

Your point about mulls depends a lot on the format and deck construction. In a deck with focused gameplan and a lot of interchangeable parts, mulliganing to 5 or even 4 is not backbreaking - I often mull to 5 when playing modern Infect and tend to win decently against neutral matchups.

In current standard or limited on the other hand? Yeah, you're fucked. Although I did win a game on U/W spirits in Top 8 on game day after mulling to 4 because I had denial turn 2 and 3 managed to draw into gas, but that's an exception.

It's certainly a good way to get introduced to it. I was given a fatpack for free which was nice but I could barely construct a deck approaching playable. For kitchen table magic you did fine- but if one of your friends starts an arms race and things start getting competitive, you're going to want to focus on singles only. Don't do this if you can avoid it.

You've got your money's worth. Both foil cards are good and valuable.
The problem with magic is there are a lot of formats and most are for tryhard shitheads that netdeck even for casual play and therefore force you to buy the pro-approved best deck which will also be the most expensive.

The good thing about magic is there are a couple truly casual formats where you can have fun and learn the rules without ruining your finances buying shit you didn't need and was about to rotate because a salesman cared more for his wallet than teaching you the game. Look into Commander, Pauper and Sealed for that kind of Magic.

>Pauper
>Not being a den of netdecking sperglords
I swear to god even modern is more flexible and diverse in my area. Literally every pauper deck is either a delver variation or drake.

The good thing about pauper is you can buy 4 tier 1 decks at their toppest configuration for what it'd cost you to brew a single shitty Standard deck you're not even sure will work.
Hell. you can build the whole Pauper crucible for the cost of Modern Affinity or Burn.

The blame is completely on the player base. I've homebrewed Soldiers and the result is amazing, I hardly lose to tier 1 decks, specially after sideboard.
The last Pauper Tournament in my LGS was won by rebels, defeating Tron, MBC and Drake variants.

>5 or 6 packs
>Rare redrafting

Your LGS sounds like shit

stop while you can OP, down that road lies only madness and poverty.

True-Name Nemesis and Oblivion Stone, to be nitpicky.
Also, Scooze. Shardless agent in Pkanechase deck. As well as that death touch owl bird that cantrips. Demonic tutor. You know what? Buy dem sealed products.

I won 3/4 of my games today!

Ye supplemental product can have some good stuff but I'm talking about pre-constructed decks for standard.

Whether format you're playing (besides draft), it's better to make your decks on tappedout.com or something similar, then buy all the cards you need on tcg (optimize cart is incredible, finds prices that I fucking swear do not exist in the lists)

also welcome to Magic, where the cost of a theme deck is the same price as one of your core cards in one deck

Whichever format you're playing (besides draft), it's better to make your decks on tappedout.com or something similar, then buy all the cards you need on tcg (optimize cart is incredible, finds prices that I fucking swear do not exist in the lists)

also welcome to Magic, where the cost of a theme deck is the same price as one of your core cards in one deck

yea the intro decks have 90% of the time been garbage. But at least you get packs now (and soon exclusive walkers).

Not OP, but I'm also new, just built my first deck and posted it on tapped out
I hate linking to another website, feels like attention whoring, but if you'd be willing to look and give advice... tappedout.net/mtg-decks/white-artifact-deck-first-time-deck-build/

I made Rebel Tron a while back, was fun stuff.

Boi, u trippin

>Where i come from you keep the commons and uncommons, all rares are put on a table after play and people get to pick in order depending on their placement.
>5 or 6 packs

Either you or your LGS is retarded. I would be so mad.

Why?

This stops rare drafting, means you get better games and a better draft and actually gives you more chance to get the rares you want because you are choosing from a bigger pool.

I mean I went 2-1 in a draft and picked up a Jace because the first pick guy wanted a man land. The actual rares I opened in pack were dog shit.

Sure it might be tough shit if you open some $50 mythic but I play magic to have good games not to play some weird gambling, card opening, stock market games. There's a million chinaman flash games for that already.

This is only allowed if the draft wasn't DCI sanctioned, if your store did this during a sanctioned event (they recorded your DCI numbers and used the Wizards event software) report them immediately to DCI, or talk to the owner first if you like the store and don't want it to lose its ability to run prereleases and shit

I fail to see why some people get so assblasted over raredrafting. You are intentionally weakening your deck for less chance of victory, and unless it's the choice between first pick lightning bolt or Goyf it's not like raredrafting seriously detracts from deck quality. You'd have to consistently pick the value cards and someone end up with a pile of unplayable jank. Hatedrafting will have a much greater impact on the draft and it's a legit tactic. While I understand the philosophy behind redrafting in my experience it's almost exclusively done by sharks trying to juke less experienced players out of valuable cards.

I'm actually okay with this. If only they didn't print bullshit every time with no consideration for eternal format.

they're not trying to make standard more accessible, they do it because the newest set has a batch of powercreeped cards that define the newest standard, so they devalue the old chase cards because for some reason they hate their playerbase.