/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Cultist Edition

looking forward to new releases edition

>Previously on /5eg/:
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous murderhobo session
What bomb is WotC gonna drop on us after Volo's?

Other urls found in this thread:

dmsguild.com/product/184921/Pugilist-Class
youtube.com/watch?v=QfBSncUspBk
youtube.com/watch?v=s4cqp8_Fi_U
keith-baker.com/extra-life-hacking-the-warforged/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for female PCs

I'm pretty sure the next book was hinted as being a huge new book of character options.

They all but confirmed it at the end of last month's survey. However, we know nothing about a timeline. I'm honestly not sure what's taking them so long to do this.

Is there something similar to Grimtooth's Traps but specifically for encounter building? I've been collecting (ie: stealing) really creative encounter ideas, and plan on collating all of them into a collection to hopefully throw up on Dms Guild. Anyone have some they want to contribute?

Quality Control:
> More than one line
> 5e focused
> Does not have to be CR specific
> Can be boss fights, or interesting mook setups, or focus on terrain / external factors.

Maybe they actually tried playtesting some of it.

>What bomb is WotC gonna drop on us after Volo's?
The big "mechanical expansion" probably won't drop til next Fall going off WotC's current release schedule. The only one on the docket right now has the codename "Labyrinth" but any speculation on Wizards' codenames is pointless (CoS was "Cloak," SKT was "Dagger").

probably they're working on more than one thing, especially with companies like this it's not always easy to just pump out content. I imagine also they want feedback on volo before they finalize it. I am impatient for their other settings tho

A quick question about illusions please?

With malleable illusion, a wizard can turn one illusion into another. Will this mean that it 'resets' people who have seen though the illusions?

For example, let's say there's the illusion of a fire.
Target sees through it, knows it's a fake fire.
He steps towards it, Wizard uses malleable illusion to turn it into a pit.
Will the target know it's still an illusion, or have to check again for the new form of the illusion?

Maybe it could, if it were done cleverly. But usually I'd say having just experienced an illusion you'd have advantage on detecting one immediately afterwards. Or if it's not done well they don't have to save at all. Ultimately it's up to the dm.

>EBERRON WILL DROP THE NEXT QUARTER! IT'S TIME!

If I were DM, I'd say unless you used some type of misdirection or there was some type of external distraction to get them to look away for just a moment, they would get an immediate save at advantage to see through it the second time around.

>Join new group
>One guy is playing a female half-elf
>Oh shit here we fucking go...
>He's actually hilarious, gets drunk and hits on every NPC in sight
>Our female gnome ranger (and IRL girl) is always trying to pull him away from hitting on creepy dudes, and she's terrible at it
>DM is rolling with it, making progressively sketchier NPCs show up in taverns

He's gonna get abducted one day, I just know it.

>He's gonna get abducted one day, I just know it.

Implying it's his fault. It's current year shitlord.

yeah forgotten realms is boring as fuck
at least we have rules for thule and midgard / southlands but something more official would be nice

>Oh shit here we fucking go...
Whats wrong with playing females? I just alternate when I make a new character because why not

that's a fair assessment of my person actually. give me fucking warforged

There's the Eberron UA yknow.

also potentially Scarred Lands and Karthun within the next few months, which both look cool

Playing female characters is one of those things that isn't bad in itself but is made bad by the company you're sharing it with, like Minecraft or Homestuck. Doing it is a shibboleth, a signal that you belong to a certain class of people and need to be treated with more scrutiny than normal. In a perfect world where everyone behaved themselves, it would be no problem, but we don't live in that world.

Dudes,

After nearly year I'm finally getting to run out of the abyss. Does anyone have any great stories from playing this module, or specific advice I can't find on some blog?

I'm so excited for this I even drew a bunch of art for the random encounters.

Labyrinth is slated to be released in April 2017

If you play a race that only has females as an option I feel like it's much harder for other people to complain though.

And this kind of shit is why it's best to avoid playing a female character even if you're not a weeb - do you really want to be associated with weebs?

The release schedule is pretty much set through 2018. Two campaign books and one, maybe two supplements a year through 2018. You probably won't see anything official for other settings till 2019.

I like weebs better than anti-weebs, at least if they aren't cringy about it and don't make characters like pic related.

I can find plenty of things to complain about here

yeah but 1. my players are babies and the only UA they'll play is the new ranger 2. it's too barebones and needs a lot of fleshing out 3. one of my players loves warforged but won't play one until it's official because she's a big baby but she also whines about it.

We're here to hear your grievances senpai.

>No catboys
Too bad, I'm going to play pic related and nobody will stop me.

But catgirls are already what that pdf is about - what's the problem?

Catgirl (Male) has the same stats.

Volo's guide to monsters is coming out in two months. We also have developers drop info that they're working on a major rules expansion splatbook - kinda like PHB II, maybe?
What do you expect from those books, Veeky Forums? What do you want?

That's a guy.

I'm DMing SKT for my players. Does anybody know if the navigation orb from the Tower of Zephyros in chapter 1 gets destroyed with one attack? I can't find any info on this, so I assume it's only one attack considering the Dwarfes need 5 turns of dashing to even get from the first to the second floor

What are you implying?

Various !multiclass classes. Multiclassing is bad so the alternative is classes/archetypes that takes the flavor of two classes and mushes them together.

I'd like to see some evil campaigns. Not murder hobo shit but good stuff for evil alignment characters to play.

I had an encounter and map prepared which is basically a goblin outpost built on top of a hill. It's a shed and a tower, and then there's a bit of excavation into the hill for living area.

Then, there were archery goblins a story above ground level where there's a firing platform.

It was low level, but it was designed so that players would hopefully learn to be a bit more cautious about trying to attack everything they see.

The party never actually went the way that had this encounter, though.

1. The archery goblins are hard to reach without going in, and they have cover, not to mention they're firing downhill.
2. There're a few goblins who'll try to keep the party from getting through the gates with spears and shields. Not awfully strong, but they can sit there and dodge or throw spears down to add to the PC's frustration of being fired at from above.
3. Once they get inside, they're in prime ambush territory, and more importantly there's a rock trap above the entryway. Not incredibly powerful, but it adds up.
4. The underground bit is mostly living quarters, though there's a little hideaway bit for the weaker goblins to hide in and for some extra storage.

Thing is, there aren't really any obvious rules for hills. I suppose people might end up rolling down it, or there might be a +1 to hit boost or -1 to hit boost for fighting downhill/uphill, but I'm not sure how often people do situations like this.

The mystic is the big thing I'm hoping for. Hopefully we'll get it in UA soonish.

Not much else I really want, though I think some more barbarian paths could be neat. More Druid circles would be nice too.

Has anyone tried the pugilist class from DM guild? I'm hoping to try one in an upcoming campaign.

dmsguild.com/product/184921/Pugilist-Class

youtube.com/watch?v=QfBSncUspBk
>starts at 1:25

I basically did this scene with my players, but instead of a flaming car it was flaming boulders, like a dozen or so, of debris and goblins flying down the hills. Of course, the party slaughtered all of them.

I like the new ranger, but i think Natural Explorer is stupid. Why is it always on?

What kind of Dex and Wis score is she rocking to be able to move and improvise and be so perceptive to and in tune with the music?

youtube.com/watch?v=s4cqp8_Fi_U

Underwhelming.

I'm feeling, due to what was available in previous editions, the Sorcerer deserves more meta magics? I'm gonna check the unearthed but is there any supplements or anything that add some meta magics?
Only having 4 throughout the entire 1-20 progression seems lacking.

Because you're a natural explorer.

Yeah, makes total sense to get all this bonus in fucking cities.

You're a natural at exploring anything - cities included.

The Eberron UA Warforged is probably the closest she'll get for a while. And seriously, it's a player having problems with it not being 100% official? I can see problems from a DM but a player?

You're right about it being barebones, I simply meant it serves the purposes of allowing Warforged players. Why any of your players are being babies over UA though baffles me.

Feels like if they were something smarter than goblins, they might've done well to stay up the hills and fire arrows and such down.

Oh, well, you don't want to murder the players on an ambush. The outpost is a more optional thing and it doesn't come chasing after the players.

Ambushes are more dire emergencies.
Still, just once I'd like to see the party retreat from an ambush and try to set the fight on their terms.

I can't remember fully, but I think I saw it and it seemed pretty underwhelming, as other user said. I can't gaurantee for sure though, I've seen a lot of stuff.

Cities can be explored.

How is your Storm Giant campaign going 5eg?

>decide to side with the mercenaries
>cut down the guards
>rogue decides he wants to go loot the rest of the town
>paladin goes with him
>me and wizard who are low on health, decide to loot castle
>come across chest
>open it
>get attacked by animated fucking sword
>we were level 1
>die
>party has to spend our loot trying to raise us back from the dead
>by the time we return to the castle we missed out on the orc v elf fight
>underleveled for cave because of it
>skip cave all together
>get onto the ship
>dm decides to be nice and skip us to level 4
>he ran this game for another group
>ask how they did
>dm ''they were systematic in their looting and didn't split the party, none of them died''
>our faces when

>Monster coloring book

I WANT IT I NEED IT

absolutelydisgusting.jpg

>Maybe they actually tried playtesting some of it.
What do you think Unearthed Arcana is?
The Mystic, new feats, and new Ranger are probably all going to be in it. Just like Swashbuckler and Storm Sorcerer went from the Waterborne Adventures UA to SCAG.

A full-fledged Eberron campaign- and player's book is something that really should've been out six months after 5e dropped.

>I wouldn't allow fighter to multiclass in barbarian in the first place.
Why not?

SKT says the orb is 7ft in diameter making it large, and made out of thin mithril, making it fragile. Per the dmg object rules it has an AC of 21 and has 7 hit points.

I agree. I would think the UA would do "for now" though if somebody just wanted to play a Warforged though. That's all I'm saying.

Because it's a playtest and they don't HAVE to be as rigorous with language yet. So they aren't.

Try to play a few sessions with the new ranger, and make sure to take the next survey to give feedback.

Release Date: 22 September, 2016

Yeah but they kinda shat the bed hard with the attempt at the Artificer (Gee, lets make the iconic magic item maker from the setting full of minor magic items not be able to make any magic items until 18th level. Also lets make it a wizard variant rather than an actual class for some reason.) and people didn't take it well.

That and 5e doesn't really line up well with Ebberon. Ebberon is all about 'Minor magic items are damnwell everywhere and people who can make magic items are common enough for it to be a mundane job' while 5e doesn't like that at all. Ebberon worked much better in 3.5/4e.

Complete fucking newbie here, if i'm a level 1 druid with a +2 wis modifier i get to choose 3 level one spells?

Best feats to go with animal companions?

Let's get the meme out of the way:

Sir bearington.
Disguise kit proficiency
Deception proficiency
Linguist
Rest into int.

Your party is p. retarded senpai

>3.5 has too many splatbooks!

>5e isn't making splatbooks fast enough!

I feel sorry for you both.

someone please help

Can someone give me scoop on what this Volos book is? Seems like a peculiar name.

Well, we explored the keep at Nightstone, helped the guards bury the lady, sent them sternly to Waterdeep to report matters and have the matter of succession for this village decided.

Found team Z lady, fought a fuck load of the goblins we hadn't already encountered.

Finished them, rest of Z group arrives and we talk peacably as our party has no standing ties to local government. Take long rest, about to set out to caves to rescue the villagers for reward and glory after decidedly not thoroughly sacking the towns remains, fucking Orcs attack.

So its our party and the Zentarim guys vs a group of 20 or so orcs with Elf ear necklaces.

Good session, I think.

Probably.

Sorc's big problem is upkeep; they have no way to regen spell slots or sorc points save for a long rest.

Couple that with them not having rituals and the laughable number of spells known and sorcs just kinda suck.

I prefer Keith Baker's take on the Warforged
keith-baker.com/extra-life-hacking-the-warforged/

He created Eberron, so that gives him the chops, I'd say

Sounds right.

Sentinel for when something attacks your animal you can attack it. Inspiring Leader for constant temporary hit points for you and your companion. Mounted Combatant for a Halfling on a Wolf.

Pull a human variant or +WIS race to rock 16 wisdom. It's your main stat after all.

I think Inspiring Leader says they have to be able to understand you, so unless you speak bear you might be out of luck on that one.Yes, you get to prepare WisMod + DruidLevel number of spells. So in your case 2 + 1 = 3

Thank god for the new primeval awareness then, where you can communicate simple ideas like good job.

monster manual 2 but with extra lore

Sure, I meant purely from a "Is it official?" standpoint. Baker definitely has seniority in the matter and a kind of "official" status being the progenitor though. Usually though it's often the DM having problems with whether or not WotC officially released it or not, which is why I said the UA best fulfills the ability for Warforged PCs being a thing as it's the closest to being an official release.

Really it's all DM fiat at this time.

I'd say if they included more meta magics, they'd make sorc points at least a short rest. That way, you can practically amp your low slot count so each spell is way worth it's cost.
It follows flavor still and with more meta magics can make every cast pretty unique.
I think I'll house rule short rest on sorc points and then offer some stolen meta magics.

why would being in a city make you not alert to danger or un-agile enough to get through difficult terrain?

Thank you all my DM is not awake and i'm trying to build this character with little prior knowledge it's rough.

>they have no way to regen spell slots or sorc points save for a long rest.
Spell slots and Sorc points are interchangeable though, and I think a lot of people forget that.
Honestly it might just be better to say that Sorcs start with a fuckton of Sorc points and 0 spell slots, and casting any spell uses spell points instead of slots, plus points for whatever metamagic you throw in. Tracking two different but exchangeable resources simultaneously seems like too much for most people.

Oh god why a PHB II?
5e doesn't need the rules bloat from 3e, please not again.
If you want another option just homebrew it or look it up in the Guild, there's really no need for WotC to come up with a lot of sub-par options. This can't be a new 5e.

Is there a particular reason for the name? Seems pretty inexplicit.

I actually like that. Bloat the points and then do with as you please.

Maybe its a physical Unearthed Arcana with variant rules, additional options (like the narrative combat option that vanished and wasn't in the DMG) and the like?

Well murdering townsfolk and looting peasant houses is evil so fuck you

I'm not a fan of milestone advancement. How much EXP do the players get by following the book? The more gaps I get to fill in, the better.

There is such thing as middle ground, you know.

I think they will release setting PHBs and guides when they wrung FR out.

>paladin being pretty much as bad as a rogue

volo's guides were a fantastic line of high quality, high density regional guidebooks of the Forgotten Realms for 2E. they are using the name to summon the prestige.

It's because they want to introduce a book more about different options for existing monsters and thinking of ways they might be able to fit little used monsters into campaigns, rather than just another list of monsters. It also introduces monstrous races like goblins, kobolds, catfolk, firbolg, etc, so to call it another monster manual would be misleading

narrative combat is the default and was in the PHB. the DMG gave the 5E version of group imitative which improves narrative combat. give it a try.

That character is not necessarily weeb at all though, it kinda reminds me of Jarlaxle but vampire instead of drow.

Because a feature that is situational based on location is stupid and limits what kind of campaigns the ranger can fully participate in

>waah don't do evil things
LG fag detected