Skaven Origins

Tell me anons, which version of the Skaven origin story you like?

The old one where they were simply rats that were mutated by warp stone and changed over time into what they are now, only to later take roots in the ruins of an ancient city that would be named Skavenblight?

Or the one where they were supposedly created in the ancient city of Kavzran that would be later renamed Skavenblight after they slaughtered the original inhabitants?

Which one do you prefer?

Goddamit. It's Kavzar...

I'm not a Warhammerfag, and don't know much about this stuff, but as an observer from the sidelines, I gotta say I'm less impressed with "they were rats who chewed on some magic rock and now they're monster rat-people" than I am about "they were a created race who turned on their creators and slaughtered them and now they're monstrous and evil."
The latter seems way more interesting. You can do stuff with it, you know?

Hmmm. I personally like it when they were the first.

This would show how they evolved and learned over the years about this and that when it comes to creating their own civilization and how the Clans were formed over time.

Having them be created on the spot is kinda...dunno how to call it.

The first. The warpstone relation is right there in the race, it is more connected writing than some old civilization did it, never to be relevant to anything other from this point onward.

I dunno, that explanation's very pat but it just kind of sits there being uninteresting. I'd rate things like this in terms of campaign fodder:

"An ancient race did it" > "A wizard did it" > "Warpstone did it."

With the first one you could do a campaign where it turns out there are some survivors of that race trying to get the band back together, and players need to stop them before they enact their plans to regain control of all the Skaven.
Or instead of that you could have them trying to keep anyone else from getting that sort of band together, and maybe trying to fix all the wrongs (ie:Skaven) that they did way back when, but they need help, and why not the PCs?
So you have options there.

Yeah you could construct something. But unsupported hooks just never make me want to. But more power to you.

You got me with the remnants part, but I think warpstone seems more natural.

IIRC, they didn't turn on their creators in the legend of Kavzar; a Wizard did it because he felt like being a dick.
Well I assume that's his motive, since we never see any others and it's a good a reason as any in Warhammer.

I like the one with the tower and the bells.

That's the one I go with.

I like the myth about their birth involving the first monument to the horned rat, but I can't really separate one explanation from the other too.

is that a fucking owl with a sword

>Wizard did
we have no indication it was a wizard
we have no proof it was human either

and a shield

why do people understimate the shield?

I don't think there's any particular indication that's when skaven were created.

Not that that isn't cool but it's obviously choreographed.

It's in a WD as one of their origin stories isn't it?

I tend to believe that they were an experiment by Tzeentch that got out of control due to their narcissism and egomania. Nurgle got jealous and tried to steal them, but failed pathetically for the same reason.

The only thing a skaven could conceive to worship would be itself, which is what the Horned Rat is; the idealized self-image of all the skaven.

>implying it wasn't a daemonic entity spawned from a conflict between nurgle and tzeentch that decided to fuck everything and be a god of its own creating its own race that would worship and empower it.

>Skaven supplied the weapons to kill Nagash to the King of the Living
Skavens true heroes of Warhammer confirmed

So?

It's in their army book that's good enough for me.