EDH/Commander General

Delicious UR tears edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-jews-require-more-taxes/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/battletoad-landfall/
amazon.com/Arena-Magic-Gathering-No-1/dp/0061054240
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-shattergang-police/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

post em

for my Mizzix bros out there: what do you use as your wincons besides an infinite combo?

Take your pick of fireball. Add 10 more to be extra sure, proliferate experience and charge counters on Astral Cornucopia and Everflowing Chalice until you can pay R and kill the table.

>playing three player match against mono red and auratron with Sisay
>things are going well for me
>ramp into Sisay with Swiftfoot Boots by turn four, tutor into Reki for that sweet card draw
>opponents each have like one creature out each while I have four, so I'm the obvious target, but assume Sisay will be fine for now because she has hexproof so decide not to tutor out more protection for her just yet
>auratron guy is just setting up his mana base with rocks
>mono red is floundering, but top decks Cerebral Eruption on fourth turn with just enough mana to cast it on me
>flip a four, which clears my board including Sisay
>welp, fuck
>play the only creature left in my hand at the time, Michiko, to stall as long as I can and just hope I draw into something
>with my field cleared, auratron unleashes his master plan
>with the mana base he's built, casts commander with Ethereal Armor, Daybreak Coronet, and Auramancer's Guise and swings at mono red for seven commander damage because he doesn't want to sac a permanent to Michiko
>look what you to yourself did asshole
>mono red casts his commander but it's too late
>I top deck Zendikar Resurgent with just enough mana to cast and the wheels start turning in my mind
>next turn, auratron plays Sovereigns of Lost Alara, tutors sunbond onto his commander, and swings at mono red for commander damage, taking him out
>gains like 15 life and 15 1/1 counters on his commander
>he's sitting there with like 70 life and a shit eating grin
>with Zendikar out I have just enough mana to recast Sisay from command zone, drop Swiftfoot boots back on her, tutor out Bow of Nylea, cast it, and then drop Mindslaver from my hand
>proceed to initiate pic related combo on turn six to win
That was neat

Any suggestions for this Karlov deck I just built? Any wincons or spicy tech I should be aware of? Good cards I'm missing?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-jews-require-more-taxes/

pls rate value frog deck
spicy landfall tech is present
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/battletoad-landfall/

Personally, I suggest playing every 1 drop life linker since they all allow you to gain a life the turn karlov turns into play turning him into a 2 drop 4/4 even everyone at your table had something that could block and kill it. At the very least you should probably play Vampire Cutthroat, Vault Skirge, and maybe Hopeful Eidolon since turning Kalrov into a lifelinker himself is pretty huge and it gives it play later in the game versus nip gywllion, trained caracal, etc.

Besides that, theres Curse of the Forsaken, Zuran Orb, and Prism Ring, as well as more expensive versions of that effect like Contemplation and the Staff of the Sun and Death Magi, and all the lands that gain a life on etb which I play since they're free life gain triggers.

As far as good cards you aren't playing, Swords are the best evasion and Shizo is a must. I also play Rogue's Passage and Flickering Ward for evasion and all the best protection/indestructible spells (Apostle's Blessing, Shelter, Brave the Elements, the rebound one, and the one where you pitch a card instead of paying the cost, but I'm playing a Heliod's pilgrim aura package to justify Flickering Ward and a few other additions.

How is that a combo? I don't see any interaction between the bow and mindslaver...

Are you illiterate? Last of the activated abilities of the bow.

bow to put mindslaver on bottom so you can keep tutoring and playing it

Oh, and I'm not seeing but I definitely suggest Bastion Protector for Karlov. It's benefits are obvious for voltron, but most importantly for karlov it comes right on the curve after him. Not seeing Toxic Deluge either.

Yeah, I'm not getting it either.

Sisay gets slaver out of decks, use slaver it saccs, use bow to put slaver back in deck, use sisay to get slaver back.

Jank

play mind slaver it sac it shuffle it back into your library with bow go and find it again with sisay repeat until opponent coincides

What's that Nixilis the Fallen deck look like?

Ah, like that. Now I see it, thanks.

No need to be rude mate.

Essence harvest, lots of landfall and taxing effects. It used to be her merelen of the mornsong deck, then she realized other people's combos were better than hers. She changed about 1/4 the deck to fit ob.

Not the strongest deck. But that ob gets really, really big. If you don't deal with it, you get blown out through unblockable ob.

thats my infinite combo though. with either comet storm or fall of the titants. I meant some big spell like Insurrection that when you cast it usually means that you win

Not him but if you've ever seen Titania it probably looks a lot like that, you just win with a giant Ob Nixilis or big black mana instead of ramp into fatties or Titania tokens.

I'd hardly call what I do infinite, but Mizzix's strategies are basically that and Storm. Hivemind+Enter the Infinite+Draw spell is always a viable tactic that Mizzix could do for cheap, but she's not a terribly varied Commander.

yeah I guess youre right.

on a related note. what should I add: Expropriate or Time Stretch?

Time Walk.

user pls

>Not dropping 1.4 k on your commander baby

Its like you hate EDH

b-but I already got FoW and Snappy :(

Expropriate is better in general imo since it's also removal but time Stretch might be better if you have fewer people in a pod at a time.

muzzio voltron? wtf

Must be using the untap equipment or something and leaning heavily on artifact synergy and equips.

Seeing how Serra Ascendant is banned, it would be a bit of a dick move to put it on a kitchen table commander, right?

Huh? Serra Ascendant isn't banned in commander.

When are red and white getting good cards?

whoops, I looked a completely different banlist. It's going in then

Don't fucking start this shit again.

I assume its banned in "French" 1v1 Commander.

slightly offtopic but would anyone happen to have pdfs of the novels?

if not its cool.. i really wanted to try reading one... this one in particular

amazon.com/Arena-Magic-Gathering-No-1/dp/0061054240

i really hate the size of mass market paperbacks though, otherwise i'd buy it in a sec even if it were 5x the cost..

No, literally no one has ever made storm work in commander. sorry bruv

Haha holy shit, I searched for the hell or it and Chainer's Torment for $0.01 on Amazon? Neat.

Official playgroup player coolness rankings.
N > J > G > (You) > B
Close Friend > GF > Bro > (You)
I'll probably have to remake mine in better quality soon enough

Speaking of Karlov, is it worth running this over Blind Obedience, or are both worth fitting in?

I'd probably play both, but if pressed for slots, I'd run Blind Obedience over this one because you have more control over the lifegain.

Aggro is dead.

Sounds like you have a shit group

Sorry dawg

I like it more, mostly because I love one drops in Karlov. Blind Obedience is much better late game though. Both are worth running though.

Has your faith in the god of aggro been shaken?

I saw those kaladesh spoilers. It's not dead, wizards is just really pushing non-creature removal as a priority. I'm okay with that to be honest, creatures inherently get destroyed through combat, and by having other cards be a higher priority makes my inner timmy pretty happy.

He wanted to build a blue deck that didn't play like a blue deck. His words : "I want this deck to feel like Tony Stark is the commander, I want muzzio to build himself a mech"

He considered making pic related the commander

You think my girlfriend is cooler than me? Christ, why?

>blue
>pings
>doesn't untap
>dragon in the art
>dwarf
This is one of the most random legends I've ever seen.

Pinging used to be pretty big in blue for some reason. I'm not sure what the mechanical purpose of that was.

I heard it was because they thought pic related was overpowered, so they made it into reveka later on

how in the sweet fuck do i clear tcgplayer cart aside from clearing cache?

Little grey button in the cart.

Authority's lifegain is gonna trigger a lot more though, and you don't need to spend extra mana on it.

Depends on your opponents, really. In the midgame, you can just play obedience and trigger it a bunch of times within the same turn. I'm looking at it from a 'how much does it immediately do for me right now' perspective, which maybe isn't the way to go with Karlov, idk

I was thinking this and I was gonna post this same rebuttal but it just depends too much for me on the opponents. I think it depends on your playgroup. Being a 1 drop is so much better but you might be lucky to get it to trigger once or twice a game against some people.

Another thing to keep in mind with Blind Obedience is that it also hits artifacts.

Just a taste thing.
Stasis, Stax and Eldrazi are some of the things I hate most about MTG.
Ginormous demons and tons of damage are some of the things I love most about MTG.

How fucking long did that take you to make

like half an hour while listening to a podcast.
would have been two hours if i had bothered to illustrate all the cartoon people

Christ youre productive. I worked on one for 45 minutes, couldnt get the image scaling right and gave up.

yeah the scaling was a son of a bitch. the secret is: copy the images from magiccards.info, then when you paste them into paint, resize them so that the card is 220 pixels wide.

Not him, but I was trying to find art of the commanders with halfway decent resolution

Some of them are a bitch to find art that isn't upscaled and pixelated as shit

So, I'm planning on changing the commander of my mono-B deck from Kokusho to Liliana, Heretical Healer. I know I want a foil, but the only thing I can't decide is whether I want a regular foil, or a SDCC promo. Which do you guys think looks better?

Oh, I understand. I , obviously, love stasis and stax. Eldrazi art is what initially got me into Magic, so I had to pay them tribute.

Big demons are fun, I like horrors.

Do you like tsabo tavoc?

>regular foil
>Which do you guys think looks better?
See above. The SDCC foils are impossible to fucking read.

Never played with or against it, but I think he's cool. I like cards with weird narrowish stipulations like 'destroy target legend' or 'tutor up a dragon' or 'your opponents can't cast spells with even converted mana costs' or 'each player with exactly 13 life loses the game'.

Are there any fun things you can do with pic related, besides the Animate Dead thing?

Which is more fun, Nath discard/elfball/sacoutlets, or Gitrog landfall?

I'm guessing the former will make me a target more likely. I want a fun Golgari deck.

Tsabo is a she

Respect the old phyrexians pronouns.

I even said both it and he. Double triggered!

Pic related an the like work well, but it's really easy to get blown out by any interaction.

Feldon

Who's the best commander to abuse Notorious Throng?

Vela, the Nightclad, Wydwen the Biting Gale, or Oona, Queen of the Fae

Vela and Wydwen were on my list of things in was thinking, too. The only problem is they're not Rogues. In fact, all three are wizards. There aren't that many legendary Rogues that really help. The best two being Sygg, but I'm not feeling him, and Thadda. I had moderate success with Thadda because of islandwalk, but she gets a lot of hate. Edric is nice because green has a lot of recursion, but it lacks the black.

I have too many decks and i hardly play anymore, convince me to not sell off all but 2 decks, its nice having shiny cards but i dont play anymore

Is... that a reference to Foucault?

Sell them

Oh, I only just noticed it was tribal rogue and not faerie. I was just suggesting good cards that were faeries, made a lot of faeiries, or could get creatures through for prowl. My bad

Don't be a bitch, sell all but one

Oona shit out tokens.

Edric is a rouge

You just need to deal 1 damage with a rogue to cast for the prowl cost. All over damage can come from any other creature type.

Edric is also the asshole that abuses extra turns incredibly well, and you're gonna shit out way more dudleys with Edric just by sheer momentum from starting two turns ahead of everyone else. If you want to play some sort of control combo shit oona might get you there. If you want to piss off the table with your shenanigans Edric will do you just fine. Except when someone plays pyroclasm, because fuck elves.

Fuck you

Gimli detected

how does my Shattergang brothers deck look?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-shattergang-police/

The idea is that once I start the throng going, I keep it going. I suppose that even if I just cast Throng and recur it, I'm set. That's the big reason I want green: it has the most ways of simple recursion. Black gets me tutors and Rogues, red gives me easy haste and "flicker" effects via tokens, and white gives me the most flicker effects.

I don't want to do esper because I'm building Sydri when Kaladesh drops.

It's normal much rogue tribal; its more I need Rogues to properly prowl. The benefit of Throng is that it makes Rogues.

I'm used to Edric, which is why I don't want to build him. Our guy didn't go extra turns, he built it as generic combo goodstuff.

Now, Oona is potentially very good because she makes Rogues, but she also has a reputation.

You can find almost every halfway playable commander has a "reputation". Aparently someone in your group has a fucking Edric, no one is going to shit on you for playing Oona while an Edric as at the table.

I might shit on someone for playing oona on a table with Edric, because I see Oona as a far weaker deck archetype, but w/e

I meant ganging up on him which is the only practical reason to be concerned about a "reputation". Unless you are legitimately saying you wouldn't take out an Edric before an Oona despite describing it yourself as weaker.

Well, the thing is that I prefer playing lesser used commanders in weird ways.

I'm currently leaning on Vela because it plays well into the tokens, but more importantly, I forgot she gives intimidate to trigger prowl.

I don't know about ganging up, but sure if he's got a couple minions I'd expect to deal with that. But I might target the Oona out of sheer spite. If we were talking tournament pod, yes you would be better off killing the dude that can combo off earlier.

Jund landfall commander when?

>promised myself my next general wouldn't be red
>still planning out decks with red in them
FUCK

After an Izzet artificer commander

What're the best sleeves for double-sleeving if I have KMC Perfect Fits as the interior sleeve?

Regular ultra pro

I will Always recommend Dragonshield mattes. Best sleeves I've ever used, and double sleeve just fine. The KMC Hypermattes aren't bad, either.

Dragon Shield work well, can even go for the triple. You'll probably have more success with the opaque but I'm a fan of the transparent