/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Artifacts edition! (Bonus points for using Vehicles, energy counters, and other stuff from Kaladesh.)

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

rhads.deviantart.com/gallery/
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ah, okay gonna post in this thread then.

>hey guys, I'm new to this (the general) what are the general themes of sets that people are making here? I wouldn't want to copy.

I see some guy making /co/ related cards, there's the user making a chinese based set, and the user with what i'm assuming just by looking at the set symbol is an egyptian set?

It's just going to fall off now. This is why my version has "as long as enchanted artifact isn't an Equipment" and it's pretty easy to take off the noncreature bit and add a part that has is stop being a creature.

I'm CO user, and I personally don't mind if other people do CO related cards. I welcome it in fact, because it's always interesting to see how others go about designing the same concepts.

Oh, forget to post this. Supposed to be a general toolbox for artifact decks. Not sure hot to go about this that includes a bunch of abilities but is still balanced.

Read

Well user, welcome to the thread, first off.

As far as making sets goes, personally I think you should just do what you want, as long as you don't blatantly copy someone else's stuff (it's pretty easy to tell; if you use different mechanics and approach the theme differently nobody is gonna gripe unless they're a manbaby), and you give at least all honest feedback the time of day. People who bother to post more than a single sentence in critique usually want to help you, even in they are only fluent in douchenozzle or their feedback comes off as aggressive or curt. The best way to learn is to make mistakes and correct them. If you make perfect cards out the gate, and convey your themes perfectly, and everyone loves what you are doing, then why are you here and not at WotC making Magic a better game? This of course leads me to the next thing: not everyone is going to like your stuff. Have a thick skin. But also knowing when to stick to your guns and when to fold is a skill you'll learn when you get good at being as unbiased towards your own cards and concepts as possible for an amateur.

Also, remember: you have to like what you are doing. It's going to feel like a job, and at times it is, but if you stop liking it, then walk away. Maybe for a while, maybe forever. I mean, you don't have to stop making cards if that happens, but sets should be a labor of love, and if you get sick of it, and short breaks aren't helping, don't force it. You will make bad cards and might not take criticism like you should, and it can lead to a poorer thread for everyone in general.

And now that I'm quite done rambling, let's see what you got.

Everything just said. Especially the last part.

Waiting for feedback on this artifact hoser. Overcosted? Correct color? Thought about making it white.

Still trying to accurately cost this.

Seems pointless. You could just pay G more and kill all artifacts.

A lock that drops a turn earlier and lasts until removed isn't anything to sniff at.

I was thinking it would be useful in situations where you want to keep mana rocks and equipment.
Maybe something more like pic related then?

Also, your card would be potent enough at that cost it if only exiled lands.

I dunno man, maybe it's just me. I'm not a big fan of straight up hosers.

>Wrath
What do you mean? It should only hit lands? Kinda defeats the point of the card. It is ultimately supposed to remove everything, the point of the Wastes tokens is to at least provide some sort of comeback mechanic, so it's not just basically restarting the game. For which I do have a card, right here.

>posts a card now

ah, shit. um. I don't have anything on me at the moment. I want to try fucking with some mechanics wizards hasn't touched in a while. Specifically I'd like to kind of see if there's anything I could do with the Tribal supertype that's interesting and worth design space.

(and in addition to that i'd want to make some cards for some tribal that i'd love to be supported more.)

thank you!

>Specifically I'd like to kind of see if there's anything I could do with the Tribal supertype that's interesting and worth design space.
No offense, I mean, you can totally do Tribal if you want... but that reason Wizards cut Tribal is because they couldn't think of anything really interesting or worth design space.

I mean, I like the idea of Tribal, but it doesn't do anything interesting mechanically.

Well do you have MSE already? Get that before you attempt anything else. Just make sure you don't install it in your Program Files.

If you're past all that, just make some cards casually for now, participate in feedback/critique by commenting on other cards and responding to comments on your own, and take it easy. A set is a big deal, and not having made cards beforehand as well as discussed/researched set theory and design is probably not doing yourself any favors.

Oh I know, I just personally would like to see if I can explore that space myself. Very likely I'll end up coming to the same conclusion wizards did, but I find the super type interesting enough that i'd like to explore it personally.

>don't install it in your program files
>nervous sweating.gif

I just thought it was a neat idea for a card. It's not really an effect that's ever been done before.

>And Then the World Ended5
How do you an exile an ability?
Restart the game? Seriously?
Just reset everybody's life total to full. Or better yet, reset it to 10.

Windows has issues with patching the program if it's there, since the way the program patches doesn't allow authority to do so or something. It's just best to keep it in its own folder or on another drive.

oh okay, I'll go fish it out then.

>How do you an exile an ability?
The same way the "end the turn" effect does it.
>Restart the game? Seriously?
Yeah. Ever seen the Karn planeswalker?
>Just reset everybody's life total to full.
Right, I started with that thought process. Then I decided to do the same to hand sizes, and I was so specific another user pointed out that it would be far easier to just restart the game.
>Or better yet, reset it to 10.
Why?

>Card
The hands need to be revealed if you're going to force players to choose a card from a hidden zone to be discarded based on a certain characteristic.

Ok, so now I'm not so sure about overwriting types, but using "is" without the "in addition to its other types" overwrites everything about the type, correct? Meaning that creatures are no longer creatures and other types of objects (such as lands) are no longer their original types.

I think. But if you want to make sure, you could go the Darksteel Mutation route.
>[...] converted mana cost, and it loses all other abilities, card types, and artifact types.

Not the creator of the card, but,

>How do you an exile an ability?

Look at Summary Dismissal from Eldritch Moon

>Restart the game

More fair to restart because you can't abuse delayed triggers and it deals with "you win the game" threats a little better. No Obzedat or big fatty coming back that will just wreck your opponents in the next turn but, as precedenced with Karn, you keep emblems. It feels much more white blue

>Look at Summary Dismissal from Eldritch Moon
I'm the maker of the card, and that one counters abilities while exiling spells. But I'll just post some of the rules for ending the turn, which is the only real way I know of for exiling abilities.

>715. Ending the Turn
>715.1. Three cards (Time Stop, Sundial of the Infinite, and Day’s Undoing) end the turn. When an effect ends the turn, follow these steps in order, as they differ from the normal process for resolving spells and abilities (see rule 608, “Resolving Spells and Abilities”).
>715.1a If there are any triggered abilities that triggered before this process began but haven’t been put onto the stack yet, those abilities cease to exist. They won’t be put onto the stack. This rule does not apply to abilities that trigger during this process (see rule 715.2).
>715.1b Exile every object on the stack, including the object that’s resolving. Remove all creatures and planeswalkers (including those that are phased out) from combat. All objects not on the battlefield or in the command zone that aren’t represented by cards will cease to exist the next time state-based actions are checked (see rule 704, “State-Based Actions”).

>abuse delayed triggers
Partly. Restarting the game saved me the headache of adding a clause specifically to hose things like Suspend spells.

Oh my god. Read more Oracle text.
>Create a colorless Equipment artifact token named Kor Sword. It has equip 1 and "Equipped creature gets +1/+1."
Though those last two abilities for the token could be reversed, IDK.

Yeah, the abilities should be listed in the order they would appear on the token, which is the order they would also appear on a nontoken card/permanent.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but this creates a loop, because it
>checks for equip
>isn't equip
>makes equip
>loses equip, because it no longer isn't an equipment
>repeat

A janky solution would be
>Enchant non-Equipment artifact, this effect doesn't remove ~ White Ward is the best i could think of, but i dont see why it wouldnt work in a different spot
>effect

Nah it works, see bludgeon brawl for precedence.

Damn, that creates a really awkward and confusing precedent, where it feels like they made an exception to the rules. I dislike that. Especially because becoming a creature still turns it off.

In which scenario does it lose its Equipment type after it just gained it? As long as it's not an equipment, it becomes an equipment.

If something forces it to become a creature, that shouldn't stop the effect from stripping its creature status and making it an equipment again.

>In which scenario does it lose its Equipment type after it just gained it? As long as it's not an equipment, it becomes an equipment.
Under my, apparently incorrect, understanding, the effect would immediately stop applying, as it is no longer meeting the criteria for it to be working, in that it only applies to NOT x, while it now IS x.

> If something forces it to become a creature, that shouldn't stop the effect from stripping its creature status and making it an equipment again.

The ruling on Bludgeon Brawl says
>If an artifact affected by Bludgeon Brawl later becomes a creature, Bludgeon Brawl’s effect no longer applies to it. That artifact will stop being an Equipment and become unattached from any creature it was attached to; it will remain on the battlefield. The same thing if Bludgeon Brawl leaves the battlefield.

Which confused me as to why it only sometimes made it stop working.

How is losing abilities and types functionally different from phasing out for a turn?

In Bludgeon Brawl's text, it specifies non-creature artifacts as well as non-Equipment. That's the only reason it would stop affecting the now creature artifact.
There is a relevant rule that states creatures cannot be attached to other creatures, but that should be ruled over with overwriting types.

Seems like it'd need a lot of Aura support to make it any good.

This seems like the sort of stuff some people like on these threads.

I'm making an Egypt/desert civilizations-themed set, but I certainly don't mind if you do as well. Wizards has already joined in on the fun. The more the merrier, I say.

You might want to qualify that you cast it by turning face up.

I almost wish it magnetic theft'd auras as well, maybe sac'd itself at the end of turn. But those are just ideas, the design is great as is. Very clean and simple, but with the potential for big plays.

It was intended more to save your auras from removal, the haste is there to stop it from being too narrow.

So it's more defensively-oriented? Not immediately what pops into my head when I think RW, but the fact that it has that offensive/defensive flexibility is good. Options make for fun gameplay.

Seems kind of odd to both de-power and tap when it seems like it wants to attack as often as possible.

You have to make a choice. Genies are fickle, man. Once it grants your wishes, it's out.

Hoping for more feedback on this

So, I made this keyword:
>>Reanimate {number} : if this creature would die, return it to the battlefield with {number} +1/+1 counters on it. It loses all abilities.

I'm trying to reword it so it can work with tokens. Any suggestions?

You're basically trying to mash regenerate and Undying together it sounds like. The only way you can get it to work with tokens is by absolutely preventing a changing of zones.

That keyword doesn't work at all. Just make it a Trap.

or is this better?

now why would you play this over bludgeon brawl?

>your opponent cant cast spells while youre tapped out
id say thats busted.
this version is ok in my opinion as they can always at least cast spells cmc 0 to 6.

would this work?

Where is a good place to get feedback for the block I made?

a different option.

Doesn't look like Wizards is bringing Regen back any time soon. I hope they fine a replacement for it. Until they do, I'll just use this version of recursion that was in SOI and EMN.

Idea behind this is to exploit how you can use it to save your own stuff since the actual return part of it can't be countered at all.

I'll just repeat my feedback from when you last posted it, but your card name and flavor text very clearly say you want to make it hard for planeswalkers to enter the plane (battlefield) rather than actually strip them of their powers.
Also it's "Planar Blockade"

Wording got lost during all the changes.

Then just make it produce a generic token with +1/+1 counters on it.

Anyone wanna evaluate/correct this bunch? Found an artist in Deviantart yesterday with some great skywhale art so i thought id make some cards centered around that kind of stuff. Not really polished and such but i would greatly appreciate your thoughts

Hm, 2 mana for one life and a bounce? Why not just play blue?

I have no idea how good this is. Overcosted?

>not naming said artist or crediting them in the artist line
You are the shit of the world.
It's RHADS for anyone who was wondering. rhads.deviantart.com/gallery/

You've got a lot of rather oppressive effects at a very low mana cost. I suggest you look at Gatherer to compare cards you're making versus existing cards.

Wasn't really the focus on the whole thing but okay. Also not all the art is his. Would imagine that there are worse things someone could do.

Cool card you have there, but "Obliterator" seems like a very stereotypical name. Seeing as the Nim seem rather primitive, giving it a name that talks about it in third person would fit (something like "That which swallows all" or something). Also the black sun of New Phyrexia already has a name, Ingle.

Yeah i get what you mean, especially the 4 mana 0/4 and the angel. I have to admit that the 0/4 flyer may be a bit clumsy and op, although i didnt really put that much time into that one.
With the angel the thought behind it was that it had a pretty powerfull effect, but the creature in itsself being somewhat weak seeing as it has no power and only two toughness. Apart from that id say they are pretty ok, or?

>very stereotypical name
It's a reference to the fact that BBBB will summon a Phyrexian Obliterator with no waste.

Wistful Giant
>At the beginning of your end step, you draw a card unless you attacked with a creature this turn.

Foreboding Currents
>Until end of turn, creature spells with flying you cast cost [2] less to cast.
>Rebound (If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)

Or, if you don't want to use rebound:

>Until end of turn, creature spells with flying you cast cost [2] less to cast.
>If this spell was cast from your hand, instead of putting it into your graveyard as it resolves, exile it and, at the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.

Prodigious Skyroamer
If it's dealing damage, it definitely isn't blue. White or red, I think. In any case:
>Whenever ~ blocks a creature, ~ deals damage to that creature equal to that creature's converted mana cost.

Sedative Giant
>Whenever a creature attacks you (or a planeswalker you control), you gain 1 life for each creature attacking you.

Revering Presence
"Can't", not "cannot".

Cetcea
>Creatures your opponents control can't attack unless they have the least power or are tied for the least power among creatures their controller controls.

Calm Ridge
I'd add a "may" to the second ability. I think you can untap untapped permanents, but the "may" makes it less confusing.

Somber Shore
This is incredibly powerful in a control deck. Add a "may", or make the return conditional on whether or not you return a creature yourself.

Well, no "oppressive" in the sense that your opponent can't do things, but Wistful Giant, Sedative Giant, and Somber Shore are incredibly strong.
Blue generally doesn't attack very often anyways, and a free card ever turn is bonkers. Sedative Giant punishes aggro pretty hard, and then Somber Shore basically says "Your opponent has no board".

just what i was hoping for, thanks user

This is too expensive to use unless Hellbent, and would only lead to infinite sacrificing of Ornithopters. I feel like if you limit it to only cards already in your graveyard, you could make it cheaper.

You need to look at more actual cards, since your wording is wrong in almost every case. Your whales are too small. unless this is from Segovia or something. Rays are just Fish.

Seems rather black or blue. Green isn't about "draining" things.

To be fair, I think it's supposed to be used against -1/-1 and poison counters. But yeah, it is more UB than Green.

Who wants to help me balance some set legends? This one's a targeted Inverter of Truth mixed with some Perish the Thought.

Isn't this what the Money Sculptor does?

Right! How's this?

Yes. Which is why I gave specific examples of precedent for similar effects in black when I posted. I figured that might be a point of contention.

They may be similar but they're completely different effects from a design perspective.

Inverter's effect was originally in blue (Paradigm Shift), but is apparently fine in black. Black messes with hands and is right behind blue in library manipulation. Is it really that much of a stretch? I don't think so, but I do want to hear thoughts on it.

I'm not really against it in this case, but it is a bad idea to try and use elements from two different cards to justify a third.

What did you change?

Yeah, I get what you mean. I try to explore new design space with cards and colors, but sometimes it's hard to justify without direct precedent.

Anyway, here's another set legend prototype.

Oh, and it should be at least eight cmc as it's iona level.

Hey guys, in the earlier stages of my set design, does anyone know the ideal splits among all card types and color?
For example should it be 20% sorceries, 50% creatures?
Just curious as to the proper ratios

Ha.

Man, this is basically a player-killing ETB effect. I think it should be more than 7 mana. Maybe make it harder to get the effect? Maybe it triggers on combat damage?

Now it's actually cast when turned face up.

I don't think that works either.

Might to follow madness's example and go into exile first and then get cast.

8 mana to create 20 1/1s and empty your opponents' hand seems a little busted.

Whoops, left out the Wizards design articles link in the OP. This should help.

pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

Not just 8 mana, though. 2BBBBBB, which is an important distinction

How should I cost this?

Survival bump.

Seems ok I guess. Kinda hard to cost huge spells.
I take it you're just following Chandra's Ignition, so as a huge spell that's nearly uncastable in anything but EDH, it seems fine. Even the "can't be coutnered" part doesn't mean it's going to resolve.

Geblins

woops, half of the old template found its way in there and some grammar errors

Goblins seem like the type that don't ask questions and do what they do anyways.

>Not giving him Fear or Menace.
You fool.

Couldn't you, if discarding say Emrakul the Elder, get a 17/17 for 2GU?