Cyclops

Should a cyclops sniper be better than a biclops sniper since they're actually accustomed to aiming with just one eye?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chameleon_vision
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

DEPTH
FUCKING
PERCEPTION
you absolute nigger.

Pretty sure snipers use two eyes to aim even if one of them is on the scope.

But you only use one eye to aim through a scope.

Actually, most cover the non-aiming eye.

At extreme range, there's no point to depth perception.

Yea, in a close range firefight, and even up to about 3-400m, that depth perception matters.

But when you're making 1000m or more shots especially, there's no real benefit to depth perception, you're doing everything by windage and bullet drop anyways.

What I'm unsure of is what benefit a single eye provides. Sure, it's just as good, but the idea that they're better doesn't make any sense.

> Sure, it's just as good, but the idea that they're better doesn't make any sense.

You'll even see in olympics people cover one eye. "Being used to shooting with one eye" makes no sense

Maybe a cyclops has an easier time not relying on innate depth perception?

Well if the one eye is larger, like in OP image, then that may carry some benefit? A larger lens could mean they can see in greater detail than the human eye can. If you exaggerate the effect enough (a lot), you could imagine cyclops snipers who don't need scopes at all. That's still not that useful because really you've only saved some money on a scope in this scenario but it's SOMETHING, right?

I would imagine that a creature born with a single eye would have an increase in the speed at which they see, and the sharpness in what they see, simply on merit of the fact that their brain doesn't have to splice two images together.

Of course, it would be a pain in the ass dealing with such a large eye, but thats not to say its impossible.

That's not how eyes work. Your brain needs more than one input to efficiently process the three dimensional world around you, and two eyes are better at that than one eye.

Try blinding one eye, walk a quick round in your house/room/apartment, reach out for some things in front of you. You will already notice that it is harder to judge the distance of objects. And this matters when shooting.

Even if you've only got one eye, your head can still move, and the brain can use that movement to judge the relative speeds of different objects in front of you, and from there gauge distances. That's how people who lose an eye don't just lose all sense of depth, and I'd imagine someone who only had one eye from birth would be even more adjusted to it.

Yes user, we all know how parallax works. That's why neither of us said "I bet they'd have great depth perception!" What we are trying to do is figure what advantages, if any, a cyclops COULD have in this regard instead of pointing out what has already been said earlier in the thread. But thanks for repeating that for any lurkers with severe attention deficits at least.

You are also assuming a cyclops' mind processes visual information in the same way a human one does. I would only assume that a mono eye'd creature's brain would be optimized for use with a single eye.

Actually come to think of it I'm pretty sure most spotters use binoculars which would make your cyclops terrible at teamwork.

>parallax
You don't need two eyes to achieve parallax. Think of a camera. A cyclops eye could be similar in respect to a glass lens.

Well, only half of the team work.

Human spotter + cyclops sniper would still work.

The problem then comes down to "What powers, if any, does a Cyclops have?"

If they can see the future, they'd be excellent snipers, for example. Or if they're capable of somehow judging windage and distance with the single eye themselves.

The obvious one I can think of is that if they sacrifice depth for distance, they'd likely be able to make farther shots, though honestly, at that point it's back to all the other factors involved. Having a shooter that can make shots from 3-4000m or more might be interesting, but honestly at that point just use indirect fire or direct support fire from a mounted weapon.

So we're just going to ignore monocular spotting scopes?

one eye means no depth perception, in other words, she cold not tell if something is a mile away or 200 feet away. Cyclopse would be terrible snipers, there is a reason almost everything has 2+ eyes in nature

They'd probably be quite excellent solo marksmen innately in the 30m - 300m category, where its close enough that spotters aren't really a necessity, but far enough that binocular vision is literally a hindrance rather than a boon.

But that said, probably not a lot of difference in performance between a fantastic human sniper and a fantastic cyclops one, in fact a lot of the secondary aspects of sniping like judging wind direction and good spots to shoot from are going to suffer. There would just be tons more 'adequate' shooters though since it would be very easy for them to pick up a scoped weapon and have the whole process of using the scope be relatively intuitive compared to a creature with binocular vision.

>one eye means no depth perception
For fuck's sakes, no it doesn't.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception

You can still have monocular depth perception.

Human binocular vision doesn't distinguish distances beyond 30 metres. After that it's all situational cues and spatial awareness. Stuff which cyclops' would be totally reliant on at all distances from birth.

so in other words they'd make naturally good snipers?

No it fucking doesn't. Even with one eye you can still experience parallax and depth, because your head isn't totally stationary, and your brain is flexible enough to make use of that movement information when judging distances.

For fuck's sake, when people lose an eye, their perspective doesn't instantly become orthographic.

It's specifically mentioned that Manako has incredibly good vision outside of her depth perception, especially insofar as image resolution and magnification is concerned.

tHoly everloving christ

>when people lose an eye, their perspective doesn't instantly become orthographic

THIS IS AN INCREDIBLE STREET LEVEL SUPERHERO IDEA

Chameleons.
Chameleons have 2 eyes, but each eye works independently of one another.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chameleon_vision

Chameleons have the closest thing in the animal kingdom to "Cycloptic Vision" and yet they actually have fantastic panoramic vision. Their eyes are constantly moving around and they retain their monocular depth perception via their cornea's adjusting constantly.

Cyclopes eyes would probably have excellent long-range, panoramic vision, but they'd be horrifying to look at: constantly shifting, moving, the centers adjusting and readjusting incredibly fast to span and gauge distance, depth, etc..

Really? It sounds fucking terrible to me.

From what I've seen by messing with 3D modelling programs, I'd struggle to find my way out of my own bedrom if I was stuck with an orthographic perspective.

To get into a little more detail:

I've always used Cyclopes as a Semi-Aquatic Island native species of Giants; a little mix of the original greek myth with more than a bit of polynesian/pacific island inspiration and so forth so..

Their Eyes I always figured were adapted to be best used underwater: their massive, light-sensitive, full-colour spectrum lenses would be able to discern shapes, patterns, and even the most minute of details underwater while they gently waded around off the reefs of their tropical island homes. Being able to see a fucking megalodon 30km's away in clear 720hd is an extremely good advantage.

When they got more onto land though and relied less on the ocean they began to star gaze extensively and had a knack for astronomy at a very early age of development due to not necessarily needing telescopes to scan the stary skies on a clear day- if they squint at a full moon they could probably draw a map of the damn thing on a clear night.

This is good. I like this. Its also sorta cute.

I suppose if you'd evolved into it it wouldn't be so bad.

Monoeyes are for bullying!

That one is, anyway...
But she's one helluva sniper.

You don't close the other eye when aiming unless you're in the dark and want to preserve night vision.

The same effect throws off your aim. In light you always keep the other eye open. Tournament marksmen sometimes use translucent blinders attached to the sights that blur any image for concentration but present the same luminosity as the background.

For a marksman in the field the non dominant eye is crucial for situational awareness. You aim with a double vision, the right eye tracks through the sights while the left eye sees what's coming into the line of fire. A sniper has a spotter but he too will want both eyes open.

Instead of a bonus the cyclops gets a penalty on perception when aiming.

And if you're a spotter you DEFINITELY want both eyes because your entire job is situational awareness.

It sounds like a Cyclops's single eye would need to evolve to be far more complicated that our own.

Did we lose out on monocular waifus because nature is a lazy shit?

Yes. Though maybe they wouldn't be as attractive in motion. I imagine the pupil would be continuously pulsing in order to provide depth perception.

Basically. Note the very specific structure of the eye in the chameleon. It's situated in a very different housing than the human one, aye? And you have to keep moving it to develop your depth perception... nature's sense of "fittest" looks less like a godlike superbeing and more like a budget-scrimping corporation which can't afford to spend more than a minimum on flashy features, unless it's marketing.

And then it better be good marketing.

Hear hear!

>continuously pulsing
Hot.

>all these people who have never even held a gun who think their opinion on how they work is worth jack shit.

In the future, could you not be a dipshit and quote half the goddamn posts?

Been in shooting competitions for years, tyvm. Air rifle and .22. No movie guns, but the eyes work the same..

Who gives a shit about depth perception if you can't hold a rifle steady.
eye sight isn't the most important aspect of beibg a sniper.

Judging by the small number of contest shooters who've also happened to lose an eye, you wouldn't be much better or worse at hitting the center.

I am not what you would call an experienced shooter or archer, but in both cases I do find it easier to shoot when I close the eye that is further away

It's important to learn how to aim with both eyes open.

They wouldn't be any better unless they have better eyesight than humans. It would be awkward to use a normal scope, but I'm sure they'd have special scopes built for them in this setting.
The amount "muh depth" perception and "leave both eyes open while using a scope" itt is astounding. It'd be like if there was a thread on how well goblins drive and half the posters thought you steered with your feet.

You do often need both eyes open, it's called situational awareness.

>But muh olympics
Aren't in a combat situation.

t. never fired a gun mcgee

>t. Learnes how to use a gun the wrong way and now thinks he is a pro
You keep both eyes open, it's something you need to learn.

If you're using a rifle nobody should be close enough for you to be unable to close an eye for the time it takes to make a shot
>All I know about guns I learned from the movies and /k/ memes

I'm just going to post more Manako...

For the people arguing about scopes and keeping one eye open/closed, what if the cyclops doesn't need one?

What if cyclops had a single compound eye?

This is true. Pocahontas taught me this

>tfw you will never be the expert spotter for your expert sniper Cyclops wife