>get put on hold
>they play "Manamana" from The Muppet Show as a waiting tune
>mfw

I fucking love those guys.

How based is your local gaming store?

Do-do do-do-do.

MANAMANA!

Do-do-do do.

Personally I think any game shop where the staff aren't creepy is pretty based. So not Games Workshop, obviously.

I was in Gamers World in Dublin the other day and was looking to get back into the Pokémon TCG, after staring blankly at the boxes (I have no idea what an EX is) guy behind the counter asks if he can help me, I pause, and he clarifies that he means with games, not life in general.

>With games, not life in general
You got absolutely savaged by someone working at place you essentially pay to hang out. I love game stores (single manly tear rolls down cheek of this user)
>You were good son, maybe even the best

Nah, he was just making a clever quip. I've only been in there a few times but he seems pretty cool.

My local gaming shop is terrible. I just order all of my shit online now. (Though, there's not much to order anymore, anyway.)

>Store used to be owned by a friendly old Grognard who was a gamer back in the 70s/80s.
>He visited all the conventions and traded around on forums to keep fresh stock in weekly.
>People drove LONG distances to visit the store, just because it was always a good time.
>Suddenly he gets cancer and he gives the store to his nephew
>His nephew knows nothing about gaming, and turns the store into a fuckin' flea market booth.
>"TRADE AND SELL DVDS AND GAMES!" "BUY VAPE SHIT HERE!"
>He pushes all the gaming stuff into one corner that gets smaller and smaller each week.
>Turns the FnM area into a music venue. Has shitty college/highschool bands play while people are trying to play Magic.
>Then gets made when people would rather drive thirty minutes up the road to play magic instead.
>Eventually sells everything and moves to the Philipines with some ugly lady he met on eharmony.

Dunno, never go.

There was a fa/tg/uy who said his FLGS had classic fantasy titty pinups on the walls to deter soccer moms and feminists, that store sounded fucking based

I don't understand how mine is still there after 30 years.

That sounds terrible. My FLGS did basically the same thing.
> Store used to be owned by friendly comic nerd who played games with his family
> He used to be a professional artist, and has art in many D&D supplements
> After having run the store for many years, he wants to retire, so finds someone to take over for him
> New owner is a ultra conservative business guy
> Keeps a gun under the counter "Just in case" (We live in a white suburban town where there is basically no crime except for all of the rich white people doing drugs and beating their spouses)
> Never updates prices of magic singles, even when significant proof is shown that the price has changed
> Starts buying and selling used video games, except prices are crazy high
> Starts buying and selling records, except no one actually buys and sells them.
> Lowers the amount he will pay for anything he is buying to something like 20% of it's estimated value, so no one ever sells anything
> Replaces staff that used to be friendly gamer types to goddamn sharks, always trying to get as much money out of you as possible, and don't know the games at all
>Despite not knowing the games, they still keep trying to make rules calls, incorrectly.
> Doesn't care about how FNM is run. Accidentally runs it as double elimination, and when called out, just says 'NU UH, WE ALWAYS DO IT THIS WAY'. Next week goes back to swiss, and denies it ever happening
> Doesn't take care of the building. The bathroom never had paper towel or toilet paper
> Constantly talks shit about customers behind their backs, calling them 'The Toucher' and such
> Talks a lot of shit about the old owner and how he ran the place wrong and how terrible he was and the former staff
> Never restocks product, and special orders takes months
> The store used to be respected by the city council because they would do a lot of community events, now never does anything for the community, gets in fights with the council

Mine's not bad, but it seems pretty expensive, they do run games in there, but it's a bit too small to do so whilst having customers in there, plus it's MTG/fedora types that always play... and damn, I don't mean to be racist, maybe it's because of how I look(?), but overly attentive American woman works there (britfag), just shut up and let me shop and browse some in peace, I'm not going to steal anything, was happy to drop £50 or so on stuff in there, just walked out with some dice :/

For the longest time I'd forgotten about this, then I was part of a Black Crusade group with abundant psychic... Phenomena.
>DO-DOOOO-DO-DO-DO

>> Constantly talks shit about customers behind their backs, calling them 'The Toucher' and such
Is there at least a good story behind that name?

>used to be run by a dad with his wife and three kids
>small time shop for almost 7 years
>wife cried wolf, took the kids away to Connecticut, now it's just the dad and his two employees
>a year and a half later he's gotten so big that he's expanding his store and running a Magic $1k as his grand opener
Women were a God damn mistake, his wife was a total cunt, and fuck his children too. They were annoying as shit.

According to the owner, he touched everything at a creepy level, supposedly basically going shelf to shelf touching things. He made it sound like he got some weird sexual thrill from it or something.

Of course, when I observed him, it seemed that he just kind of absentmindedly touched whatever he was looking at buying.

The last sentence confused me a little. The wording made me think he was expanding the store because he was getting too fat for it.

My store lets regulars open a tab. It's fantastic.

...Was there a reference to Animal in your group by any faint chance?

He probably was.

I met my party's druid at my FLGS playing a khajit bard in a poorly GM'd monstrous amalgamation of star wars and pathfinder. he's a pretty cool guy. I got into adventurer's league there though, and i'll never forgive them for that.

Past week they had a free raffle to everyone playing in fnm where they gave away back stock like boxes from origins and journey into nyx.
They let you open a tab for the night
And they have a free commander night where everyone who plays gets a pack if we decide to be casual.

Maybe? Its been a while, so I don't recall a lot of it very well, but it also spawned my personal "user became difficult terrain" joke.

>but it also spawned my personal "user became difficult terrain" joke.
You're gonna have to explain that one.

>playing Thousand Sons Sorcerer
>Show up to a fight, party pinned down by autocannon fire
>try to provide cover with psychic powers
>get ventilated instead
>like 3 critical hits
>one of them says "the character's corpse is so heavily damaged that it becomes a mass of slippery blood and entrails. The corpse is treated as difficult terrain
>so the joke goes
>user's here!
>user's dead!
>user became difficult terrain...(!)

>we used to have an awesome store that ran a large selection of games, it even had a weekly bloodbowl tournament
>A new lgs opens. They only really do mtg and computer rental in the campus district so it does not affect the old store a lot
>According to our laws, teens are allowed to apply for government sponsorship for events they run on heir free time.
>New store hire teenagers and have them apply
> new stores mtg events are now effectively government sponsored so they can afford to run events at a loss
> Mtg events are flgs lifeblood so the old store dies
>The new store hike the prices back up but keep taking gubmint money
>All miniature games except games workshop in the area die

Mein sides.

I lol'd

And yet none of you chuckle-fucks thought to report this?

It was reported.
Hell, it was even brought up in the regional newspaper.
Though, considering that the same regional politicians that approved this recently launced a tiny fountain that costed several million and is so poorly constructed that it needs to have two permanently hired guards standing watch to protect the surrounding trafic and pedestrians... nothing will come of it

>several million and is so poorly constructed that it needs to have two permanently hired guards standing watch to protect the surrounding trafic and pedestrians

Jesus christ, why would you waste money on that?

Money laundering

reddit

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see the point of an LGS. If it's a social gathering you're after there are always clubs available in most cities, and if you're looking to buy models and games it's cheaper to shop online.

Where's Fronk Castle when you need him

>defends the toucher
Haha, found the toucher

Did you swagger around the shop or were you wearing smart casual
Also, maybe you just have social anxiety and so think everyone hates you and you wanted to get out there quickly

Well what else are you going to do when your wife leaves you and you have to be alimony or whatever it's called

In the context of business, getting big typically refers to increasing volume, number of customers, and so on. When businesses get big enough, they might have to expand facilities, grow their workforce, or even open up new locations.

If it helps you remember, it's basically the distinction between "small business" and "big business".

And not having a family to worry about helps because it means the owner can put more time and energy into his business, cultivating its strengths and growing it into something bigger or better. Also if he's not as directly responsible for them financially, that means he might feel more comfortable taking on extra risks that could help in the long run.

We know. It was a joke.

Sounds like southern Italy or Russia. Amirite?

That's probably gus, he's pretty cool and works there in some capacity, the problem is the owner who is a total jerk

Swedish West coast

Well I know what i'm going to be listening to for the rest of the week.

>sidesleavingorbit

In day and age of plastic and digital checking, why?

>run by a kindly old couple
>buying some minis
>oh you like warhammer? I have these old rule books I can't sell
>gives me a huge stack of codices from last edition
>thanks me for taking them and gives me 10% off the minis

Earned my business for life. It's like a 30 min drive to get to but I don't care