Prison GMing

I'm a college freshman. Being a GM is hard work when you're in school. It oughta be considered volunteer work ffs.

So I had an idea: Every week I go to a nearby prison and GM for a bunch of cons.

Not sure how smooth that'll be though, not sure how I get permission or how much off time prisoners are allowed. Then there's the obvious possibility that I might get shanked for killing off a PC.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/11956946/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>So I had an idea: Every week I go to a nearby prison and GM for a bunch of cons.

what? no that's stupid. do you have an actual mental disorder? seriously, that's delusions of grandeur sorta shit.

I also just call it a book club on my resume

You won't get permission to do this in a maximum security prison and Gming for white collar crooks in an open prison is no different than Gming anywhere else.

You could look into doing it in a youth correctional facility or even in a psychiatric hospital. Then again an emotional teen or a crack baby might be even more likely to stab you than an adult felon.

Well, How violent are cons in Canada? Cause I'm in Ontario.

Violent enough to be locked up in a super tolerant country.

Its Canada though, can't he simply ask for people imprisoned for hate crimes and end up with a bunch of players that said "controversial" stuff on their twitter?

I was thinking something like vandals or thieves or, like you said, twitter shitposters. The not-so violent types that can still fix their lives.

This.

I have to say, this is one of the most colossally stupid ideas I have ever heard.

>people imprisoned for hate crimes and end up with a bunch of players that said "controversial" stuff on their twitter?

Wait, Canada DOES that?

other people are making fun of you but there is no reason this couldn't work. people who aren't in prison tend to think of prisoners as animals but in reality most of them are pretty ordinary people 99% of the time.

it's that 1% that landed them in jail. lots of substance abuse problems, toxic situations, or desperation. within the confines of a prison there is very little motivation for a prisoner to do something criminal. they aren't looking to score drugs or feed their family because the prison environment makes those things basically impossible. they have nothing to do but wait.

i think, if you tried this, you would be surprised at how receptive they would be. i had a buddy who joined the military and ended up stationed in a quiet corner of the middle east. he said that they played d&d all the time as a form of entertainment. they weren't allowed to have that many resources around (rulebooks and stuff) so the soldiers would lookup info whenever possible and memorize the rules.

i'm just saying, you would be surprised what kinds of people like roleplaying. boredom is the devil and we all fight it every day.

My thought exactly. Though I wonder if it's a good idea to introduce them to something more on the criminal side of things: Like Shadow Run.

You're extremely naive. You think deep down they're good people but really they're criminals. You're like those white girls who go to Africa to try and help the locals and then get raped.

Depends where you're from.
I'm Swedish and here it would be fine, depending on the prison.

If you're in the U.S. I wouldn't even consider it.

>You think deep down they're good people

Nah. Deep down they're people, and people are people, and mostly cunts at that. Most everyone is only a couple of bad days away from committing a serious felony at the best of times.

Besides, there's some merit to the idea. After running for a group of flakes for literally years, having a player with absolutely nothing going on in their life who is pretty much 100% guaranteed to be present at a game (barring medical issues), and who is probably going to be both thinking about and looking forward to the game (since they have fuck-all else to look forward to), sounds like a wonderful thing, even if it's exploitative as all fuck.

No

Also come the fuck on google, that key isn't even on my keyboard.

so how is the captive audience?
*slow clap*

This is a fucking solid idea. A lot if people are put away for bs and then their lives are ruined. Even the shit bags put down these strangers for no reason.
Props to you OP. I'm in Ontario and have heard that visiting would be super safe. Good luck broski.

>hey guys i'm gonna go play dnd with a bunch of convicted murderers

NO user DON'T

What about non violent offenders and innocent plea deals? Do you know how easy it is for poor people to get put away? Real fucking easy.

No, but the EU is currently working on legislation to have stricter laws on internet hate crimes. Facebook and Twitter have already proudly announced future compliance with these laws.

Even though you probably won't come to bodily harm, that's a dumb idea

Just ignore the /pol/ack

Fuck Europe

>A lot if people are put away for bs and then their lives are ruined.

Honestly, I don't know. I know America's justice system is fucked, but comparing Canada to America is like comparing China to Japan

At the same time, Canada is pretty chill, so how chill will it's convicts be?

You don't know how fun convicted murderers can be if you get them to go along with stuff. There was a production of Macbeth played all by cons, the video about it was great. Can't seem to find the link or else I'd post it.

I'd imagine they could do some interesting RP.

OP here, I just looked up the closest con college in my area. 13 minutes by car.

The place offers volunteer work that includes RECREATION.

Where in Ontario are you?
If your option is Kingston you're fucked

>Playing murderhobos with Murderers is a bad thing

DO IT

I can see it in my head already.
>everybody shows up with a rogue
>a guard joins the group with a paladin
>hilarity ensues

You're going to have to find some way of not using dice, since most prisons won't allow dice because they encourage gambling.

I recall one fa/tg/uy who had served time said they used paper spinners like what a boardgame might have, or just wrote the numbers on a piece of paper and had people close their eyes and point to one to generate their roll.

Do it, it sounds fun

Could they use a deck of cards? Thinking all deadlands

And the Thriller reenactment!

A prison is just a lot of guys with a lot of time on their hands. Putting it to something constructive is just good for human health

That line of thinking is why people keep reoffending. Prisons should exist to rehabilitate, not create revenue like they do in USA.
USA is a bit of a shithole

Do it OP.
You'll have some pretty receptive people wanting to try it out, when you're locked up playing pretend is amazing for the mind.

Wouldn't a deck of cards also encourage gambling?

You may as well use a Magic 8-Ball and ascribe a value to each of its readings.

>a guard joins the group with a paladin
>implying the canadian justice system is 'good'

So what did you get arrested for?

Weed or loli?

Well, assuming I can bring my phone, I have a dice rolling app.

>Black has two Queens and no King
>A1 is white
>White Rook gone but board situation doesn't give any indication it was taken

> assuming I can bring my phone

Uh, user... Then again, you're not in the US, maybe your policies make less sense than ours.

They're also probably not going to allow virtual dice if they've banned real dice. Make a spinner, costs like a buck.

fuck people that don't look shit up that they base their hate on.

Fuck Europe

Can't speak for Twitter, but Zuckerlord is so deep up SJW's collective arse he probably wouldn't be able to find his way out now even if he wanted to.

But hey, I can understand that it's a sound marketing decision - tumblr is one of the noteworthy competitors and trigglinas generate lot of online visibility, so he has to keep up .

this
i seriously doubt if any of the nerds ITT have any family in prison or have ever had a visitation.

I'm not murrican, but anyway. Grand uncle just finished his term recently. Back in late 90's he got into a heated argument with some woman and punched her in a face. She could afford a good lawyer, he couldn't, so it was 15 years for attempted murder. He got put in a ward with real killers, but grandma managed to pull some strings and got him a TV in there. That alone left him unmolested for the entirety of his term.
So yeah, being able to provide entertainment, any entertainment, is a big.
I have not seen him since release, we think he skipped a country. Can understand why.

Am I the only one here who remembers a bunch of prison tabletop stories here?

This is the real reason I try to avoid getting in a fight. Fear of criminal record.

>Black has two Queens and no King
Fuck you heteronormie. REEEEEEEEEE

>Back in late 90's he got into a heated argument with some woman and punched her in a face.
Sounds like a legend.
Share your chronicles.

So what you're saying is, you were bullshitting?

fuck people that don't look shit up that they base their hate on.

I didnt take the time to save any of them so I dont really remember any of them, just that they happened. There was also one with a biker gang.

Fuck Europe.

Winterscheidtstrasse

At least you'll have a captive audience.

Brexit better hurry up.

Jack's just as far in

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/11956946/

That was a good thread, here it is.

I regularly bring students to play sports with prisoners. Though I'm in EU

Twitter is just as bad if not worse

I'm sure a solution will be made available. depending on how strict the prison is. cards, spinner , and dice all have different feels to them. Cards are like stick ing your hand onto the table and hoping for the best draw. Dice are liking taking a part of yourself and power and throwing them out there into the world. Spinners are like trying to manipulate the world with a spin.

I know I prefer dice and don't look at spinners too favorably. Reminds me too much of children board games. but you make due with what yah got.