/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

The Dead Of Antietam Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit
List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R
ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes
/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mediafire.com/download/gr5ays9vv1ahfia/Osprey - CAM 032 - Antietam 1862.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=AJXKVOxqkWM
youtube.com/watch?v=Et1SkVldiHI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNLMS_De_Ruyter_(1935)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karel_Doorman
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American-British-Dutch-Australian_Command
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiralen-class_destroyer
store.warlordgames.com/products/us-airborne-parachute-infantry
testofbattle.com/upload/bob/Schijndel Scenario.htm
topsideminis.com/request-free-promotional-unit1238546/
amazon.com/Russian-Infantry-Summer-Uniform-figures/dp/B0043VP2FK/
ebay.de/itm/Warlord-Games-Bolt-Action-Soviet-Infantry-/371738368645?hash=item568d555a85:g:wnwAAOSwLF1X28hp
materialculture18t.wixsite.com/18thcmcrc
mediafire.com/download/hzj7i3bezhoz43e/Colonial and Early American Fashions.pdf
mediafire.com/download/jl2nd0s3y2b5bt0/Costume of Early America.pdf
mediafire.com/download/xkddbcc5xyrsl8g/Osprey - ELI 099 - Italian Army Elite Units & Special Forces 1940-43.pdf
mediafire.com/download/bz29u7nhk3hapr8/Osprey - ELI 191 - Italian Navy & Air Force Elite Units & Special Forces 1940-45.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

17th of September in military history:

456 – Remistus is besieged by a Gothic force at Ravenna and later executed in the Palace in Classis, outside the city.
1176 – The Battle of Myriokephalon is fought between the Byzantine Empire and the Seljuk Turks.
1462 – The Battle of Świecino (also known as the Battle of Żarnowiec) is fought during Thirteen Years' War.
1620 – The Battle of Cecora (1620) is fought between the Ottoman Empire and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth during the Polish–Ottoman War (1620–21).
1631 – Sweden wins a major victory at the Battle of Breitenfeld against the Holy Roman Empire during the Thirty Years' War.
1716 – Jean Thurel enlists in the Touraine Regiment at the age of 18, the first day of a military career that would span for over 90 years.
1761 – The Battle of Kosabroma is fought.
1775 – American Revolutionary War: The Invasion of Canada begins with the Siege of Fort St. Jean.
1862 – American Civil War: George B. McClellan halts the northward drive of Robert E. Lee's Confederate Army in the single-day Battle of Antietam, the bloodiest day in American military history.
1862 – American Civil War: The Allegheny Arsenal explosion results in the single largest civilian disaster during the war.
1894 – Battle of the Yalu River, the largest naval engagement of the First Sino-Japanese War.
1914 – World War I: The Race to the Sea begins.
1916 – World War I: Manfred von Richthofen ("The Red Baron"), a flying ace of the German Luftstreitkräfte, wins his first aerial combat near Cambrai, France.
1939 – World War II: German submarine U-29 sinks the British aircraft carrier HMS Courageous.
1944 – World War II: Allied Airborne troops parachute into the Netherlands as the "Market" half of Operation Market Garden.
1944 – World War II: German forces are attacked by the Allies in the Battle of San Marino.
1965 – The Battle of Chawinda is fought between Pakistan and India.

It is 154 years since the Battle of Antietam ( also known as the Battle of Sharpsburg, particularly in the South). Fought near Sharpsburg, Maryland and Antietam Creek as part of the Maryland Campaign, it was the first major battle in the American Civil War to take place on Union soil. It is the bloodiest single-day battle in American history, with a combined tally of 22,717 dead, wounded, or missing.

As Robert E. Lee and his Army of Northern Virginia attempted to assert the will of the Confederacy in the North, they were followed by Union General George B. McClellan and the Army of the Potomac into Maryland. Lee, believing the majority of Marylanders were being held in the Union against their will, thought he and his army would be regarded as heroes or liberators as he entered the border state. In reality, however, the sentiments of western Marylanders had turned toward the Union, and Lee’s Army was regarded with suspicion.

Before the battle began, Union forces had serendipitously found a copy of Lee’s battle plan wrapped around three cigars. The plans indicated that Lee had divided his army and sent brigades to Harper’s Ferry, Virginia, and Hagerstown, Maryland. This allowed for Union forces to attack each brigade in isolation, but General McClellan failed to act quickly enough and the opportunity was lost.

On September 15, General Robert E. Lee positioned his army of 18,000 in a defensive position behind Antietam Creek in the town of Sharpsburg. McClellan’s Army arrived in town the same night with over four times the number of soldiers as Lee’s Army. McClellan, however, overestimated the strength of the Confederates, causing him to delay an attack. During the delay, Lee was reinforced by the corps of General Longstreet and Jackson.

On the morning of September 17th, General McClellan ordered General Joseph Hooker to attack the Confederate left flank for the purposes of occupying the high ground near the Dunker Church. A vicious and violent battle ensued in the cornfield adjacent to the church featuring bayonet charges, hand-to-hand combat, and gun battles at close range. Hundreds of soldiers were killed in this initial combat, and neither side had gained an advantage. One brigade, known as the Louisiana Tiger Brigade lost 323 out of 500 men when they were isolated. Hooker’s brigade lost 2,500 men in a matter of two hours and historians believe the cornfield at the Antietam Battlefield changed hands at least fifteen times during the morning and afternoon. By the end of the morning, casualties for both sides numbered over 13,000.

In the afternoon, Union forces struck the center of the Confederate line in an attempt to divert some of their forces from a patch of forest known as the West Woods. Confederate forces were in a good defensive position atop a hill in an old, sunken road. From the Sunken Road, Confederate forces fired withering rounds into the Union brigades, inflicting terrible casualties. Union forces eventually exploited a weakness in the Confederate defenses and began to break through. Amidst growing confusion, the Confederates along the Sunken Road fled toward Sharpsburg. Union forces, however, were violently driven back during their pursuit by Longstreet’s Brigade. Over 5,600 total casualties were recorded along the Sunken Road, which would eventually be called Bloody Lane.

Toward the later afternoon, the battle moved to the southern end of the battlefield, particularly for control of a bridge spanning Antietam Creek that would come to be known as Burnside’s Bridge. Union General Ambrose Burnside ordered his soldiers to storm the bridge, where they took heavy fire from Confederate gunners. It took three attempts before Union soldiers successfully crossed.

While Burnside’s men crossed the narrow bridge with their artillery and wagons, General Robert E. Lee took the time to reinforce the right flank of his army. Numerous assaults and repulsions marked the remainder of the afternoon. By 5:30 p.m., it was clear there would be no winner. In total, the two sides suffered almost 23,000 casualties, making it the single bloodiest day in American military history. Although Lee expected another Union assault on the 18th, it never came, and an informal truce was established so each side could collect and tend to the injured and dead. On the night of the 18th, Confederate forces left Sharpsburg, crossing the Potomac River back to Virginia.

Despite the fact that neither army was victorious, Union soldiers paraded through the streets of Frederick, Maryland after the battle. The Confederate foray into Northern territory ultimately proved unsuccessful, delivering a crushing blow to its hope for foreign recognition. President Lincoln, meanwhile, saw Antietam as enough of a Northern victory to have the confidence to issue the Emancipation Proclamation five days after the battle.

Two days after the battle, Mathew Brady sent photographer Alexander Gardner and his assistant James Gibson to photograph the carnage. In October 1862 Brady displayed the photos in an exhibition entitled "The Dead of Antietam" at his New York gallery. Many images in this presentation were graphic photographs of corpses, a presentation new to America. This was the first time that many Americans saw the realities of war in photographs as distinct from previous "artists' impressions".

Antietam is a classic of military history and the sort of battle that is perfect for wargaming. It's about as evenly matched as a battle of the period could get, and modern gamers could take a variety of different outcomes.

mediafire.com/download/gr5ays9vv1ahfia/Osprey - CAM 032 - Antietam 1862.pdf

Today marks 300 years since Jean Thurel enlisted in the French Army, the beginning of an extraordinarily long career that spanned over 75 years of service in the Touraine Regiment. Born in the reign of Louis XIV and dying during that of Napoleon I, Thurel lived in three different centuries.

He was born in Orain, Burgundy in 1698 and enlisted in the Régiment de Touraine at the age of 18, serving with it, under Louis XV and Louis XVI, until 29 January 1792.

Thurel was severely wounded in battle on two occasions. In 1733, during the siege of Kehl, he was shot in the chest with a musket, and at the battle of Minden in 1759, he received seven sword slashes, including six to the head. Three of his brothers were killed in the battle of Fontenoy in 1745. One of Thurel's sons was a corporal and a veteran in the same company; he died at the Battle of the Saintes, a naval battle that occurred on 12 April 1782 off the coast of Dominica, West Indies during the American Revolutionary War.

A well-disciplined soldier of the line infantry, Thurel was only admonished once during his entire career, during the 1747 Siege of Bergen as the French troops occupied the citadel. He was admonished because, the doors of the fortress being shut, he scaled its walls to gain entry so that he would not miss muster. Another example of Thurel's discipline and physical fitness occurred in 1787. When his regiment was ordered to march to the coast to embark on ships of the French Navy, he was given the opportunity to travel in a carriage due to his advanced age. The 88-year-old Thurel refused the offer and marched the entire distance on foot, stating that he had never before traveled by carriage and had no intention of doing so at that time. His humility is evident in his steadfast refusal to accept any promotions; he remained a low-ranking fusilier for his entire military career.

He died in Tours on 10 March 1807, at the age of 108, after a brief illness.

The August-September /hwg/ community project - a 'Command Unit' - rolls over today, so show us what you got! The most popular choice for the next project seemed to be 'Non-Combatant'.

Would a general (Patton from the new BA book for example) without a weapon be considered "non combatant"?

I fear i have not a single civilan miniature.

Does he actually do anything in combat for is he more for show? Perhaps you could find a bull terrier mini to be Willie and make it a kind of presentation piece.

>Does he actually do anything in combat

He reads your book

youtube.com/watch?v=AJXKVOxqkWM

>10 times outnumbered is nothing user, especially when you're on the defensive.

Please no salty shitposting this thread

Alternatively, he listens to the game, and arrives in time to hand out the awards.

>youtube.com/watch?v=Et1SkVldiHI

>Reposting command unit
Dutch light cruiser HNLMS De Ruyter, flagship of Dutch Rear Admiral Karel Doorman, commander of the Combined Striking Force of the briefly lived ABDACOM. Accompanying are two Admiralen-class destroyers. Calling them substantially complete. Figures themselves are finished, but basing incomplete because of lack of current access to color laser.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNLMS_De_Ruyter_(1935)
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karel_Doorman
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American-British-Dutch-Australian_Command
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiralen-class_destroyer

>Does he actually do anything in combat for is he more for show?
I'd guess he won't have any rules. I use my de Gaulle as a Major or Captain.

I'll probably be tossing most of Doorman's squadron onto the tabletop tomorrow.

Kind of strange when your cruisers actually have lower points values than most of your destroyers.

Since I don't have HMS Exeter yet, USS Houston and HMAS Perth are the only ships in that fleet that might be able to brawl with an IJN heavy cruiser.
I guess I'm gonna have to rely on my destroyers, which are actually surprisingly decent.

Yes! Just got my Morane MS 406 in the mail and am about to start building it. When it comes to air planes, this is my first, is it better to paint the individual parts first or just glue everything together and then paint?

I think it depends, some fiddly bits that might be hard to reach with a paintbrush are definitely best painted first.

The stuff that's supposed to be in the cockpit seems to be a bit tricky, how well do you see through the glass? It's clear plastic as normal I guess.

Do you know if Tromp is actually meant to be a small ship? I noticed that a while ago, and I haven't yet gotten around to asking on the board.

Here's hoping your destroyer squadrons can make it within torpedo range. And maybe toss some submarines out too, especially a T-class There's that at least.

Did you ever decide what you were going to do about Exeter? The WotC sculpt isn't too bad, except that the barrels look especially chunky.

Back when I was doing model planes, it was much easier to take a spray color and basecoat everything on the sprue and paint as much as you could before assembly and as subassemblies. Make sure you've got matching bottle color to touch up where you separate parts from the sprue and accidental scratches and such. Make sure that whatever you do, you don't attach your glass with CA or regular plastic cement. It will end very badly.

>Tromp
Not sure, actually. Will ask the dev tomorrow.
IIRC some Japanese CLs are also classed as Small, though.

>Subs
Would if I had any of the ABDA subs.
Only Allied one I've got is one of the US WW1 sugar boats.
She was actually in the area and even picked up some survivors, but I'm not sure she'd be all that useful on the tabletop.

>Exeter
Gonna ask some other naval wargamers who are gonna be there if they happen to have a spare.
Otherwise, I'll probably order the 1/1800 HMS York that recently popped up on Shapeways and scratchuild a proper bridge superstructure section for it.

I like the portholes

If "/m just going for wargames quality, I usually just black out the windows. Makes building and construction easier. Plus most kits don't come with pilot figures

Thanks! My pinvise hates them, and by extension me now

You could make a turnip cart

Hadn't really much paid attention to the Coral Sea OOB, since I don't have much to use for either side without proxying, so I'd never noticed the Tenryu's or Yubari.

While you're there, you need to put the bug in his ear to add Soemba and Flores to any Mediterranean/North Africa OOB he might consider making. The Terrible Twins were badass.

Plastic Carthaginian/Numidian Elephants on the way from Victrix

And plastic US paras from Warlord

store.warlordgames.com/products/us-airborne-parachute-infantry

I was thinking of picking up a small army in 28mm even tho a massive collection of 1:72 is waiting to be painted, and these new minis are nice.

Well, one box can give you a playable force i think. Not a big one, but playable.

2x HQ Veteran
2x Sniper Veteran
3x 8 Men Veteran
2x Idk

Will do.

Gonna be facing an IJN Eastern/Center Invasion Force list from the Dutch East Indies order of battle, which is gonna be interesting.
I'm expecting at least some Myoko-class CA action, which is gonna be pretty scary because I'm used to having a superior number of those tough US CA's to take them on in a gunfight (Coral Sea cruiser forces).
Now, I'll only have Houston roughly capable of matching up at range, maybe Perth at a stretch if I can get a good torp angle without eating a faceful of Long Lances.
De Ruyter and Java might have a shot 2v1ing a single IJN cruiser, though I'd probably still lose one of them in the exchange.
Then again, maybe it's the Japanese DDs I should really be worrying about.

Bit of a spoiler: the version of the rules we'll be using is gonna be different from the one available to the general playtesting public atm.
Some interesting tweaks, most notably making CLs cheaper. Should be visible to other Naval War playtesters not too long after this weekend assuming things work as they should.

Still not sure which Pacific theater battle/campaign to focus on once I have my Java Sea stuff complete, which is certainly within sight these days.
I'd like at least some battlewagon action, preferably on both sides, so maybe Guadalcanal.
Some part of the Leyte campaign might also be interesting, since I already have a painted Nagato I got just for looks.
Anyone here have any ideas for that?

>2x Idk
Too OP, nerf idk.

Maybe medic?

You could modify this for individually based figures. It's a pretty small scenario so might be good as a side project
testofbattle.com/upload/bob/Schijndel Scenario.htm
As is it's 1 base = 1 platoon but you could just scale it to squads or sections

I just saw they have a lmg, so you might be able to build an mmg team with it, medic, observers.. plenty of options. Maybe a bazooka team if the weapon is included.

Going by the BA starter unboxing on Beasts of War, the kit has the parts to make some .30 cal MMG teams, which might be good?

kit-wise its very good. (its a bipod so technically its an LMG, but if you base 3 guys with it or use 2 guys on one base and a guy with binos right next to it like they did on their store page you can play it as mmg without a problem)

game-wise a mmg is kinda weak (they gave machineguns 1 more shot/dice though, so it might be worthwile in V2)

A question for the experts:
Would i be able to play a regular US unit with these new miniatures? I hate how the old US infantry kit looks like (in fact, that alone stops me from having a small US force).
Or is the airborne uniform to different from the regular one? I don't mind minor inconsistencies though.

Worked a little on my L&L Sherman. (Mostly painted the commander today)
Commander is not glued in place yet, so his position looks a little strange.

Still needs Pigments and a matte varnish to finish the tank. I ordered from Wayland/UK and apparently they take their time with shipping

I'm looking for a ruleset to recreate the battle of Maiwand in the 2nd Afghan War, preferably in a relatively small scale so we can get the whole battle on one table.

I would say Guadalcanal would be good, but I would also look at the Battle of the Philippine Sea, because you get to field a lot of late war toys. Notably the IJN order of battle includes Nagato, so there's that.

800 Fighting Englishmen?

This month my contribution to the community project will be these Perry civilians for FIW/AWI.

Any resources for C18th frontier clothing colours?

>A question for the experts:
This is a pretty fucking basic question that can be answered by looking at their uniforms side by side.

Free naval model.
topsideminis.com/request-free-promotional-unit1238546/

>tfw I have them on the way in the post
Hopefully my other civilians arrive so I wont have to copy you.

Hnnngggggg I was not expecting a sculpt for that so soon

Protip: the ptolemies used African forest Elephants (the breed used by Carthage, Numidia, and later Rome) as well; i think the seleucids even used the smaller forest elephant after Antiochus III lost to the Romans and they destroyed his herd of Indian Elephants

I've seen those before, and they are pretty neat. If I didn't already have a line and scale I was investing in, I'd have to pick up a set.

If you like plastic minis, The plastic soldier company has a set of 57 russians in summer uniforms in 1:28 that is 27$ IIRC.

>1:28
I'm pretty sure you meant 28mm because 1:28 would be pretty fucking big.

Good catch, I'm tired as shit. 1:56 or 28mm, yes.
Here it is on amazon, I'm sure you can find it cheeper. There's also other stuff in their line.

amazon.com/Russian-Infantry-Summer-Uniform-figures/dp/B0043VP2FK/

I have their 1:72 Germans, and not too fond of their sculpting style, even in smaller scales. Plus I painted a 28mm Soviet medic girl, and wasn't the best either. Overall, not a fan.

Actually they used an extinct North African subspecies.

Failing those I have some canoes I could do, but I've never worked with resin before.

Already finished my turnip cart though...

They are cheap, but not that great actually.

Warlords Soviet boxes have 40 minis which are vastly superior.
They can be found fairly cheap too:
ebay.de/itm/Warlord-Games-Bolt-Action-Soviet-Infantry-/371738368645?hash=item568d555a85:g:wnwAAOSwLF1X28hp

During Black Trees sales you can probably get an equal number of metal minis for around that price.

The men who would be kings is smallish scale, I think one box of Perry British is about a standard force

I think user meant small scale in terms of miniatures, if he wants to do the whole battle he probably doesn't want skirmish.

Ooh, neat. Thank you.

Just keep painting all your FIW stuff user so I can fight you presuming you are one of the other british anons

Ordered, never collected naval before so this will be fun!

That's what I meant, 30 figs is smallish, not like 8-10 mordheim tier but still

The *north African forest elephant, not the african forest elephant, my mistake. Most sources just say "forest elephant" and I didn't realize there was a difference

Yeah, 46thAnon here. I need to paint up my Indians and foot soldiers as well, but the project comes first. I think I might buy some. More 'pastel' blues, greens and reds for these. And some better fucking skin base colour.

Free shipping as well?

Yes Sherlock Holmes, the uniforms are different. And thats why i ask if they can pass as regular Soldiers as well.

...if the uniforms different? Take a wild guess.

No.

Yep. Didn't even enter card details.

OP here. I'm looking to recreate the whole battle, so I'd imagine that I'd need 10mm or smaller to get all those regiments on the table.

To be fair civilians are just as important in M&T as the army. Most scenarios need at least some of the blighters, and potentially both sides could be defending civilians.

Pretty high civilian mortality rate for a hwg.

I have some Italian paras to build my BA platoon. What's the easiest way/scheme to paint them? which osprey books apply?

earth tones

Gonna reiterate my question from a previous thread.

So I've decided that if I do branch out in land-based historicals, one of the things I'd like to do is a group of WWII era Seabees, either as a standalone or an accompaniment to a Marine force. I've got absolutely no knowledge of what system it would be appropriate to run something like this in (meaning no idea about scale), and no knowledge about what sort of kit Seabees used to carry (meaning no idea where to start for models). anybody have some advice? I tried digging around in the MF, but the only Osprey I could find that was somewhat related was for US Army combat engineers.

Never post that pic again.

sweet. thanks
nice dubs btw

Didn't want to start a new thread for this.

In the context of skilled warrior/adventurers, would a crossbow be able to compete with a bow as a practical weapon? It seems to me their only advantage is draw weight while being slower to fire, heavier and less durable.

I'd recommend reading up a bit on the crossbow, I don't have that much of a knowledge of it, but there's a reason many mercenaries preferred it over everything else. Ie. Genoese Crossbowmen.

Yes. Easily.

"model" is a loose term here; Topside produce printed images of the vessels listed, designed to be stuck onto bases and used essentially as tokens, rather than 3D miniatures.

(Not that I'm complaining about free stuff mind)

>It seems to me their only advantage is draw weight while being slower to fire, heavier and less durable

Another notable advantage of a crossbow in small scale skirmishing is that it is constantly ready to be fired, as opposed to bows which require an extra bit of time to ready and draw.

Bows are hard to make, and you need some pro training (sometimes lifetime long) to develop musculature and shit to be a pro archer.

Crossbow, not so much.

you may already have your answer, but here is mine.

to pierce armour reliably at range with either a crossbow or a regular bow, you need roughly 100lbs of draw weight.

for a bow this is a 6 foot (~180 cm) tall weapon that requires nearly a lifetime of training.

for a crossbow this is a 3 (~90cm) by 3 foot weapon that can be picked up and used in a day by someone who is trained in something completely different.

both these weapons will kill an armored knight, one is smaller, easier to opperate and just as durable, the other can have a higher rate of fire if you dedicate your life to it.

Bows are actually less durable since they need to be looked after, the strings are more delicate I believe.

Also unless you're talking recurve then a crossbow is going to be better in cramped conditions

That high rate of fire comes at a significantly larger fatigue cost compared to a crossbow's loading and firing mechanisms.

Bolts are also cheaper, smaller and easier to make

>make musketeer
>paint his face dirty
>people keep telling me i fucked up the face and it looks dirty
>people think firing blackpowder weapons all day is clean

help
me

Post picture.

Am I the only one who dislikes miniatures designed on a computer? Im not anti-technology i just think they look too smooth/shiny/artificial when cast into minis

God damn jelly, I think Im just going to have to do surrendering guys since my budget only allows me to work with what i have this month.

>Any resources for C18th frontier clothing colours?

Look up a thing called 18th Century Material Culture Resource Center, user

materialculture18t.wixsite.com/18thcmcrc

Also:

mediafire.com/download/hzj7i3bezhoz43e/Colonial and Early American Fashions.pdf
mediafire.com/download/jl2nd0s3y2b5bt0/Costume of Early America.pdf

>which osprey books apply?

mediafire.com/download/xkddbcc5xyrsl8g/Osprey - ELI 099 - Italian Army Elite Units & Special Forces 1940-43.pdf
mediafire.com/download/bz29u7nhk3hapr8/Osprey - ELI 191 - Italian Navy & Air Force Elite Units & Special Forces 1940-45.pdf

It really depends on the modeller.

Like when the Perrys did Smaug as a 3D model rather than traditionally sculpted, looked fucking great.

The Seleucids only used Asian elephants from India and perhaps some of the native syrian stock. The Romans didn't kill the Seleucid elephant herd until after the death of Antiochus IV. The senate sent one of their own with a party of gladiators and veterans to ensure that the old treaty between Rome and Antiochus III had been followed. He collected some unpaid indemities before going to Apamea where the elephant stables were. It is believed that the slaughter of the elephants took a day and their wailing and trumpeting was heard across the city. The senator was later beaten to death in a local gymnasia by an angry local. Apamea was named after Seleucus Nikator's wife and the military HQ of the empire.

New Commands & Colors game announced

>medieval
>is actually very early medieval not what you'd expect by the title being high or late medieval

Meh, unfortunately.

Shit, that first one you could fairly argue is extreme Late Antiquity.

So with BA2 out are the old army books still valid?

If they are and two unit profiles are different which one takes precedence?

Same books, germans getting update, nothing else slated to at all iirc.

Anyone know if the new Bolt Action templates are 1"- 4" in diameter, or radius?

Now that Im about 1/3 through painting stuff which Ill post later I decided to sit down and make my "army" lists for my Song of Drums and Tomahawks/Flashing Steel hybrid. Ended up with 12 colonial aericans and 10 redcoats. Naturally the british are a bit more elite.

Hopefully when my terrain is built and I can try out a game it actually proves to be balanced

Spanks mate

Diameter.

Not a fan of the new templates, they seem kind of silly. Especially the 1" one.

I've not played with them yet (hence me asking), but I agree. Especially as a user of the ISU-152. I'll miss my 3D6 HE!

Norwayanon here, did some research into the elusive beasts known as the norwegian armored cars of ww2, I found that they were basically 2 chevrolet trucks and a Morris truck with bolted on metal plates and guns, and since I'm not really well versed in the art of scale model makers, can anyone point me in the direction of period 1/56 trucks? One was a Morris truck with a twin rear wheel set, and the others a 1,5t and 2,5t chevrolet trucks. And maybe some good manufacturers for opel blitz trucks. Old glory is what I found, a wierd mix of metal and plastic, and expensive too. Lastly, I cannot seem to find any producer who makes Gloster Gladiators in norwegian colors. Does anyone know? Sorry for all the questions, but /hwg/ is basically my only outlet for this these days.

Progress. Slightly less awful now.