WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous Threads:
(Last)
(Before That One)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00V2C0C7Q
reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Aberration/sku-down
amazon.com/Decora-1000pcs-Self-adhesive-Scrapbooking-Accessories/dp/B00KL7HUF0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for The knight!

I like the church behind it.

How'd you do the weathering? Sponge?

The brass is strangely clean though, are you still working on it?

A beginning is a very delicate time...

Malifaux Dump inbound

I finally got a chance to take some half decent shots of the new puppet crew I was working on.
Grouped here based on color palette.

Criticisms are encouraged. I'm happy with them, but I don't feel like they 'pop' enough.

>2 of 3

Next set from the same crew.
3 of the 4 here are mostly greenstuff/conversion.
The two guys in the back were originally Alps (insert picture) and have been modified to be Effigies (bottom pictures)
The back right is a Stitched together cobbled together from the 3rd Alp and a few Wicked Dolls. Stock standard Stitched is in the front.

Still need to do the eyes on the one Stitched, but I'm happy with the $60 dollars in savings, even if the overall work is rough around the edges.

>3 of 3
Lastly is my main WIP right now- a theme board for the Tara/Metallic Demon crew.

Will be a winter graveyard when it's all said and done.

A few big pieces for dead woods, grave beds for severe terrain and the church here for LOS blocking. Cardboard layouts on the church will eventually be metallic tin over stone.

Also have a few scatter terrain walls and such in the works to round it out.

Any tips for measure/estimating when working with foamboard? Also, is the only way to get a clean cut switching out your knife frequently? I seem to go through 2 out of 4 walls before it's starts to tear rather than cut.

You could try using something serrated, like a hobby saw. Or a small hacksaw with fine teeth or something like that.

Hey painting dudes, I wanna get into painting. What's a good starter kit to get? Is the Reaper Minis one okay? What's a good guide to cover the very basics? Because I really have no idea at all about anything.

Just start watching painting videos until you see something you like and have a basic understanding of what to do. Games Workshop has a pretty good channel, personally I'm a fan of BuyPainted but there's hundreds of good painters making videos on youtube.

Check the OP.

Army Painters starter set is pretty decent, but reapers is also fine.

Get a couple of minis you like.
Start painting

>first i bess coted de mini wid led belsherr...

>Are you the guy trying to wash down red with nuln oil consistently instead of just buying a darker red to do his Flesh Tearers?
Of course, I doubt anyone else would be this retarded.

To be fair, I was trying to follow the official painting guide which called for that, but I'm beginning to question whether I even want my marines to be that dark in the first place. I might just stick with the sweet burgundy/carmine color of regular ol' Khorne Red.

(cont.)

At this point you're better off buying a can of dipping wash, like the 200 ml one from Vallejo. Christ that's a lot of wash.

Hey guys, I have an ebay tier monolith arriving soon, wat do

Cont. from Do you guys think that either of these methods would be good for detailing Khorne Red armor?

>Khorne Red base -> Carroburg Crimson wash -> Wazdakka Red highlight > Squig Orange fine/edge highlight

>Khorne Red basecoat -> Kindleflame drybrush -> Carroburg Crimson wash

Do you always follow everything to a t when painting official colour schemes, wip gen? It just occurred to me as I was basing this guy (i'm aware i'm not in the lines, this is just something).

My example here shows a different backpack colour config, a red bolter shroud because the rest of my army is going to have red shrouds, and a much brassier gold starting from Screaming Bell because I prefer it to brighter gold like the display model on the GW site

just something i though of whilst painting*

How'd I do?

jebus christ this blows my mind.
time for a quick poll

HOW MANY OF YOU MIX YOUR PAINTS?

I find myself doing it a lot. I've got a decent-ish range of paints but I rarely find that i've got the perfect shade so usually have to do a couple of tweaks. maybe add grey to desaturate it, or add a hint of another for warmth.
I'd only really use straight from the pot if i had like 200+ paints

i remember when i started I didnt have purple so mixed red+blue like in school.. thats called NOT ENOUGH PAINTS

Everything but the blade is fantastic, it needs a bit more variation.

Nope

Nothing wrong with mixing paint but it's annoying to do if you want consistent results over several years when you're doing a big army.

Contemplate what you're doing with your life after putting it on a shelf in plain sight?

One question
>how

Strip it?

Depending on where you are and how think the paint is you can use a variety of different methods.

Simple Green is rather weak at removing paint but you can leave models in it for months without damaging them. It doesn't tend to remove primer in my experience though.

Check the op for more info. I've heard very good things about Castrol Super Clean but I've yet to try it.
Probably will have to to strip the 3 *PRO-PAINTED* Rhinos I got laying around and the one Land Raider Crusader that's on the same tier as them.

>Do you always follow everything to a t when painting official colour schemes, wip gen?
I try to use the official guides as more of just guidelines and advice rather than the straight word of god.

Between what they say and what I learn from /wip/ I think I get a decent idea of what I'm doing.

I haven't learned to mix my paints yet, but I plan on learning. I need an eyedropper or something first though just so I can make sure he colors I'll be mixing will be by-and-large reproducible.

It's in the necron painting guide.

I need some conversion feedback. In the center is the regular Skitarii arc rifle. Left and right are conversions I did since the arc rifles are way undersupplied. Do either of them look okay? The right one is a bit messy, but I think I can fix it; the left one, the only problem is that the left hand didn't re-fit anywhere, so the arm is sorta tucked in there. Hard to see unless you're looking for it at a specific angle.

If they both look awful, any advice? I need twelve total, these are the three I have; I have parts for one more real arc rifle, one more "carbine", and eight more heavy rifles.

>inb4 "thin your paints"
Right hand two were my first squad ever painted, I know to thin them more.

>guess who's compensating for all that useless flesh

Converted my second batch of B@C characters. Left one has a paragon blade and will get a combi-bolter still, right one will be a command group member for now.

Staff's crooked

Left one looks a little big, but it seems fine.
I honestly dig them all, man.

Looking forward to seeing what you do, are you gonna match it with your BA?
Fuck putting a church on the base, put a recasted Johnny on the base.

There are people who don't mix paint? That seems like you wouldn't be able to do much if you didn't. Then again I come from an art background so I am always mixing stuff together and I can reproduce it easily

What's the best way to remove excess Sprue off a mini, pic related, a knife or a file

Also what colours would look good on an iron warrior chaplain cloak and also fit the theme, dark red to show blood of the fallen etc

Whers dat

Personally I prefer a knife. Cut into the sprue with the flat of the place on the surface, then turn clockwise and just cut most of it off. Then all you have to do is scrape and make it smooth

I've always preferred bright red cloaks with cream inlines for my dudes

literally 1st link form OP

What's your recipe for the black (not the weathering but the black itself)?

>exterminatus
>not 'I am wrath. I am steel. I am the emperors mercy
Cmon not everyone's models need to look the same

where do you get that sword? is it a da thing?

Found these old dudes in a box with a 20 year old paint job, so I decided to do them over. While googling I found a nice alternate scheme I wanted to try. All red was a bit much.

Different user but whats the trick to opening the files on a mobile? Keep getting invalid format

Well, in 2016 I assume that most of mobile phones have pdf reader of any kind.

>Wizard with flamer
oh how I wish GW was more satirical than grim dark these days

God damn I love those models!

>I CAST MELTA CHARGE

Decided to start on this guy. Only really done with his skin.

>satire
>wizard
redemptionists are religious fanatics, and those pointed hoods are something actual catholics wear

Well, the skin is off to a really good start, then!

Is the rest of the epub available anywhere?

What's /wip/'s opinions on textured/styled bases like has on the left?

I do. Ive tried google pdf and adobe pdf viewers.

Don't forget to paint the fleshbuckle in metal

Man the redeemer comic was such a blast.

very 2000AD

I think they had actual 2000AD guys working on it, too.

Too expensive for me, but they can look pretty nice if done well.

I prefer just putting bits on the bases I have though rather than getting specialty ones however.

I might consider it for special guys like HQs however.

Just put camouflage pattern on Lemans russ. Realized I put the camouflage stripes on the wrong way on turret. What do?

it's fine

a few minis from my Inquisition/ DH game

The first one looks way better, I think you could make the other one decent with some glazing but i'm on the fence about dry brushing in general.

Would I get decent results for Blood Angels if I did Mephiston Red base, dry brushed on Evil Sunz Scarlet or Wild Rider Red, then washed it down Carroburg Crimson and finally a glaze of Bloodletter?

Not sure if you know, but Evil Sunz Scarlet and Wild Rider Red are layer paints.

Astorath Red is the standard drybrush for red iirc.

Wip I really enjoy the citadel paint range but I am tired of the pots. Am I crazy that I think about buying some dropper bottles to switch their paints over?

oh ok I will try that then, thanks m8

No, dropper bottles kick ass and the GW pots suck complete dick.

Good luck if you try, user.

Dunno, my turret was all metal.
Either way it's gonna look janky when you drop the shield over the top.

see I bought the army painter packs for bolt action and they are dropper bottles. The problem I have is I always splodge too much out and the paints are really thin for me. heres some WIP Germans. This is one coat of each of the paints from the german infantry and basic infantry army painter sets. I have tidied the models up since then. I used citadel dwarf flesh and elf flesh followed by too much brown was for the skin

helps if I include a pic this time

Want to try and model up a squad of Tempest Blades for shiggles.

The relic blade looks pretty good but for variety I was wondering if there was anything else I could steal 2hswords from?

First link in the OP.
They guy even said it in his comment.
>Citadel painting guides
Find the necron one

where do you all buy dropper bottles?
I mainly use vallejo but an upcoming color I want needs a citadel paint
I can't find them at michael's

>michael's

Michael's doesn't carry ANYTHING for modeling, at least none of my local stores do. What's the color you need?

Camouflage is designed so the shape is less obvious so you don't know where it starts and where it ends, therefore this is fine

amazon. pack of 50 15ml (vallejo is 17ml) dropper bottles is like, 15$, tops.

I know there a nun order which wears them as well I think
Also irony in KKK hating Catholics when their pointy hat design comes from them

If you're in the states.
amazon.com/gp/product/B00V2C0C7Q

All I can say is the nozzle is a little stumpier than I'd like but it does the job.

They probably did, the short-lived Black Flame section of Black Library was basically all 2000AD anthologies. And people like Dan Abnett have worked for both.

no, I need the empty bottles. to put my GW paints in

Sorry for no light box currently not at my house but what do you guys think of my chaos spawns

Better than the official ones.

Necromunda has a lot of great fluff.

Need your help /wip/
I royally fucked up the left eye (viewer's right), you can see the black paint on her hair, because it's such a bitch to get to. I'm just going for a tabletop quality paintjob, could I get away with just trying to dab some dark brown over the eye and wash over it?

No painjob is going to save that model with how awful the primer has ruined it.

>spray on primer
Not even once.

I'm going to try my hand at doing this conversion, but the Chimera kit has been updated since this one was done and I'm not sure it'll still work.
Anyone know if the new Russ and Chimera kits will still fit together like this?

Also, I'd like to put something in the big open space on the hull between the tracks since it's just too open like this. Any ideas?

Hey /wip/. I've been wanting to make a small Tzeentch Daemonkin army but don't want to use the official models since I've been loving the idea of some of Tzeentch's daemons being confusing as fuck things like giant pulsating masses with eyes all over. Any ideas on what models I might want to use as a base model for conversions that may end up like that? Or for an easier time, are there any recommendations on where to get models like that, or maybe Lovecraftian things?

reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Aberration/sku-down

amazon.com/Decora-1000pcs-Self-adhesive-Scrapbooking-Accessories/dp/B00KL7HUF0

Thanks anons, this helps quite a bit.

Oh, and does anyone know where the treads came from? They're certainly not GW.

You're welcome friendo :^)

I can't remember if I used the last of my can of Krylon or the new can of Army Painter primer. I'm going to soldier on because on the table it looks fine. It might even be dust because this particular mini has been sitting for a few weeks.

Every other day the opinion on spray vs brush primer changes. I've seen anons called plebs for painting on primer, and now you're giving me shit for spray primer

Well after spending a few months of painting, burning out, painting again, not having time, and testing around with colours I finished up my first Death Company Marines. Tips for a newbie? What's your opinion on the Blood for the Blood God used on the chainsword in the center?

The primer problems are caused by either too cold, or too humid weather. If you don't have perfect conditions spray can primer will pretty much always do this, but usually not to that extent. I have switched to brush on vallejo primer and never had to worry about this again. If you live somewhere where it gets either cold or humid most of the time it's worth using brush on exclusively. Vallejo is what I use, it's some kind of water based enamel and you only need a single coat of it to get paint to stick well.

hey /wip/, asking here since the 40kg seems to be down.

i've been overseas for a few weeks, and missed this whole killteam launch thing.
How expensive is it to assemble a killteam of a new army from scratch? say i wanted to make a harlequins killteam, how many boxes/models would i need?
I of course have all the tools.
In other news, japan is a goldmine for old model kits. there are whole shops full of em, packed to the rafters, four or five stories a shop.
all these boxes were 300-1000 yen, or australian 3.50 to 15 dollars

>What's your opinion on the Blood for the Blood God used on the chainsword in the center?

My opinion is that less is more.
You want to use the stuff sparingly. Even if it would be realistic to expect something to be literally drenched in blood, you need to be very, very good to translate that to a tabletop model.