MtG Spoilers for Kaladesh Part 2

Efficient combat tricks edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/kaladesh-packaging-promos-and-planeswalker-decks-2016-09-06
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Maybe for limited, garbage everywhere else.

As combat tricks tend to be. Drom Com is one of the few strong combat tricks and that barely qualifies.

how do you feel about gremlins

>As combat tricks tend to be.
Cheap double strike often finds a home in an all in aggro style of deck.

They must be exterminated.

>dromoka command
>Spell damage prevention
>Sacrifice based removal
>"combat trick" that stays even after combat
>Creature-based removal
>combat trick
Dromoka is not played because it is a combat trick.

Gremlins a qt. I would take one in, if that wouldn't put my Computer at risk. Damn shame.

>reminder text for indestructible and lifelink
My head is excited for Kaldesh but my heart tells me magic is dead.

I am dying from an overload of cuteness.
>dat image
>dat flavor text
Literally squeeing like a little girl right now and I am ashamed.

>how do you feel about gremlins
I wish we got even one that was more than "Meh it's decent I guess" tier.

My Retriever was too good for standard...

Hence why I said it barely qualified.

its a common

>>reminder text for indestructible and lifelink
They like to stick the reminder text somewhere in the set, so new player casuals can read what the ability does.
That's the whole point of reminder text, to teach new players.

Reprints -
Inspired Charge
Pressure Point
Aether Tradewinds
Wind Drake
Diabolic Tutor
Mind Rot
Demolish
Creeping Mold
Hunt the Weak
Chief of the Foundry
Prophetic Prism

I don't think there's a single card here higher than 5 cents. Bravo, Wizards.

How is this a black card? Shouldn't you have to pay life or something to get an effect like this? Not only would it keep it within pie, but also connect the flavor to the aetherborn the card is associated with.

eternal can eat a dick you rich assholes

you're aware that they stopped making core sets, and that offsetting market prices is not primary among resons wizards reprints cards, right?

This is my vote for best blue common. I'd happily play a 3 charge sigil starfish, it has 1 power for all the 1/1 Servos, and it can potentially recieve more charges or give its charges if neccesary.

black has at least 4 instants, what a world

What are you talking about, valued customer? We reprinted both Mana Vault and Mana Crypt this set!
We even gave the new art! Shouldn't you be thankfull that we listened to the community and reprinted some much loved older cards?
t.MaRo

Combat tricks are really bleeding the pie here. Like does EVERYONE but blue get buffs?

You say that like you think it's an excuse.

i don't think they need an excuse, i think you expecting exclusively value reprints is unrealistic and untenable.

reprint fags are cancer

I am glad Masterpieces are taxing you into oblivion so more people can actually play the game.

I don't expect solely value reprints I expect ones that aren't total trash from time to time.

It kinda makes sense flavor-wise. Blue doesn't directly strengthen, since mind over matter, but gets to nerf other creatures. Black is about selfishness, so beefing a single creature seems okay. Red is volatile and explosive bursts of power is often seen. Green is beef the color. White has mostly defensive buffs that can target more than one creature.

Apparently; blue just gets the occasional anti-buff, which never seems to be enough.

>more people can actually play the game.
Play what game? Every format apart from casual is expensive

Jace's Scruntiny in particular was pretty damn good.

They won't reprint non land eternal staples in standard legal sets after people hated Thoughtseize in theros

>That mildly cross-eyed look of constipation as Jace rifles through her mind

God damn bluewalkers. Slick jacket though.

>people can actually play the game
Only standard, because shit is still expensive as fuck outside of it.

The color pie is basically dead

So, what's the best color/combination of colors for draft? RW looks pretty solid.

Red/Black looks like a good aggro pairing, Green just looks flat good with anything.

Masterpieces tank standard cost

>mmm yes please shit in my mouth wizards thank you for printing Demolish and Wind Drake for the 15th time oh god yes

So, can we agree that this conversion that wizards supposedly used is wrong?

>The color pie is basically dead
>Planar Chaos 2 will be made now

I'd certainly say so.

Well since blue can now get good creatures they now have the entire pie.

Time to restart.

It roughly matched up.

tier 1/2 decks will still (and always be) a couple of hundred bucks, hardly something most people will invest in given the fast rotation of 2 block standard.

So RG Aggro + Vehicles is going to be good

Jesus guys.

What?

>Shock is E
>EEEEEEEE for 6 damage

>deal 8 damage or draw a card
>these are equivalent choices

Each of those could have been 1 energy, with the exception of card draw which could easily be 2.

This mechanic could have been great, but instead we get huge loads of mediocrity.

Reprints are done sometimes because designers or developers needing a particular effect, and doesn't want to eat away from design space needlessly.

Energy economy says E is enough to do 2 to the dome, on card EE is 1 to creature or EEEEEEEE for 6 anywhere. Kinda weird is all.

>EEEEEEEE for 6 anywhere
no it's EEEEEEEE for 6 to a player.

It's 6 to the face, not 6 anywhere

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

THIS IS NO SPHINX'S TUTELAGE

So much for my janky mill brew. Is there even a way to make this card not fucking useless? Why the fuck do you have to tap it AND use energy? WotC think mill too OP for mtg or something?

It's a 1 drop for curve in limited with some E added for value

You use it for the cheap EE

1/2 allows it to trade with 1/1s too

Not sure which end I want on my dick

it's 6 to a player.

He's one fucking mana. They have to offset the cost of the creature lest he be a four drop with more toughness if he Didn't use energy to mill. There might be a way to use clues to get more energy and more mill going if you were looking for more janky stuff to use in combination.

How about none, you oversexualized weirdo? Bestiality is six years in the iso-cube, creep.

True, and there's a space for it in my deck, but it's not a replacement for the key card.
I've been tossing around a clue mill deck but it requires so many combo pieces to be out at once that I can't possibly see it competing at all with how fast the new standard looks like it'll be.

They look adorable and I want 20. I hope they make a Gremlin planeswalker.

They look like a pokemon.

Oh in that case it makes even less sense since E is supposed to be 2 to the dome and EEEEEEE is only 6 to the dome.

Well Gremlins ARE born so it could happen.But I don't think we should expect Gonzo, Scrapeater any time soon.

because they're leaving out tap economy out of it. E(Tap)X3 is not the same as EEE(Tap).
Leaving out the card use and tap economy means that needs to be taken with a massive grain of salt.

The only one that's pretty consistently true is EE=+1/+1 counter. and even that functions differently across cards.

Best set since Innistrad. So many pushed cards

This is just affinity right? why didn't they add the keyword?

Because they don't add a keyword to a set for just one card.

because their is no point in putting in a keyword for just one card.
It would need reminder text, so it would actually take up more text space. And confuse people as to why it's only on one card.

There's one card with it: no point printing the keyword if you need to print the reminder text anyway.

And you don't want new players seeing hat early in draft and thinking Affinity is a common mechanic this set they should build around.

That makes sense, thanks.

Gonzo the Scraper
2R
Planeswalker- Gonzo
+2: Gonzo, the Scraper deals 3 damage to target creature
-1: Destroy target artifact. Gonzo deals 3 damage to target player
-7: You get an emblem saying, "Activated and triggered abilities of artifacts cannot be activated"
3 Loyalty

Glorious! That ult is Topor Orb levels of annoying.

I want that gremlin dicebag.

Can he replace Chandra on the team?

I'm just getting back into MTG...

How do Prereleases work? Is that where you go to the cardshop and do a booster draft? Do you get anything special if you show up and buy a booster box? What are they all about basically? I keep seeing pre-release stamped cards and I wonder how to get them.

I'll take a 3 mana volcanic hammer at this point

Prerelease is sealed, so you get 6 packs and that's all you can use, no drafting.

Each prerelease "set" comes with a "prerelease" stamped foil promo card too.

>triggered abilities of artifacts cannot be activated
user stop.

So I just show up on pre-release night, buy the 6 packs and play and get to keep what I bought?

Yes.

You're supposed to stay around and actually play matches but you could technically just leave if you wanted to.

>3 mana bolt + a 5 loyalty walker
My god this is busted. Also the ult feels really white. I'd go with:
+1: ~ deals 1 damage to up to one target creature or player. Scry 1.
-3: Destroy target artifact or nonbasic land.
-7: "You get an emblem that says, "Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, target player sacrifices an artifact" and " whenever an artifact enters a graveyard form anywhere, you gain 3 life." Ult is just Form Of the Gremlin
Starting loyalty 3. Cost: 2RR

they actually have a fancy box with the packs, a dated foul card and for this set a little paper thopter thing for no reason. otherwise yeah, you get that, build a deck and keep it plus any prize you may win.

Gonzo the Scraper
1RR
Planeswalker- Gonzo
+1: Exile target artifact, gain 3 life.
-2: Name a card. Search target player's hand, graveyard, and library for Artifact cards with that name. Exile them.
-4: Put X 1/1 Gremlin Tokens into play, where X is the number of Artifact cards exiled by Gonzo
3 Loyalty

No. Chandra is bae.

wait what? prerelease gets a little do-it-yourself thopter i can use as a fancy token?

might ba a bit big for a token
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/kaladesh-packaging-promos-and-planeswalker-decks-2016-09-06

yeah, and the box looked like a snap on where you have to press a paper button to open.
Flavor.

oh well, hopefully itll be small enough to use it as a token...

For the guy who kept bitching about Seb McKinnon art, here is your card

Not gonna lie it's bretty gud

That's pretty cool, I'm glad I preregistered.

Isn't diabolic tutor much too powerful for standard? I think behold the beyond was as close as we were getting

Chandra pretty dank but I'd be down if Liliana succeeds in corrupting her, she goes R/B, fucks shit up and then gets killed off, then the jacetice league blames Liliana and starts hunting her thru the multiverse.

>Killing one of the most popular characters in the game
Yea and they're totally gonna get rid of Jace too

"Rush of Vitality" sounds like a green-white card to be honest, and the effect is green-white too.

I want those giant thopter ones. I assume they're going to give it to stores as accessories or something.