Quickly! You're the GM, and you established that an alien race has extremely good hearing and hates loud noises...

Quickly! You're the GM, and you established that an alien race has extremely good hearing and hates loud noises, but then you established that their homeplanet is always raining. How do you explain this contradiction when a player calls you out on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hunted_(episode)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're adapted to the sound and can filter it out easily.

They naturally developed ability to filter static noises and turn them off. This also lets them pick details of conversations in crowds and spy on other races.

that's why they left that planet in the first place

an alien race that fucking hates their home planet and uses it like a prison colony/trash dump would be fairly refreshing

They hate that sound, so they live underground where they can't hear the rain.

It's a very light rain. A sprinkle, really.

I like both of these more, but I'll throw my own in anyways.
They evolved as a subterranean species whose hearing aided them in their native environments, but they have made technological advancements that allow them to venture into the surface.

rain evaporates because the terrain is extremely hot

As a follow up, maybe something like a reverse hearing aid. It acts as an earplug that filters out noise and dampens sound to safe and acceptable decibels.

Less gravity so the water makes no noise when it impacts.

Like snow, essentially.

Honestly, I was always more concerned with the fact that the ferengi apparently feel the need for raincoats and prefer dry environments after evolving in a permanently wet one. But, to answer your question, similar to what and said, they evolved super-hearing because they needed it to detect predators and/or prey, but needed ears powerful and/or sensitive enough to cut through the incessant noise of constant rain.

pic related

we can subconsciously filter noise, why not they? the improved hearing developed to pick out sounds masked by the rainfall.

they would likely have an improved ability to pick out patterns or outliers in data and events. probably give them a tinfoiler vibe for always seeing the writing on the wall that no one else can.

maybe they would avoid others off planet because there is no rain to mask the squishy biological noises.

We can see, feel, and hear our own breathing and heart beats, we just filter it. None of this is a stretch for an alien species.

They evolved excellent hearing BECAUSE their planet is always raining, you numbskull. They had to be able to hear something sneaking up on them even during a downpour.

They dislike loud noises not because it hurts their ears. They react to loud noises because it triggers their fight or flight response.

>we can subconsciously filter noise, why not they?
This is pretty much it. If we couldn't filter out certain things, we would go crazy.

See, I don't think they DID evolve in that environment. I think the Ferengi homeworld is soo ill-suited to their species because either they caused climate change which caused the rains, or maybe it's not even their original homeworld.

But that would just create MORE noise!

So why do they talk about the rain so fondly?

Whole planet is underwater.

I mean, I'm fond of the rain where I grew up, they just like it because it reminds them of home.

Ah, home. Where the latinum flows, deals are brokered, and the notions of a cashless economy and selfless altruism are a billion miles away. Sigh.

Constant rain is white noise that their sensitive ears can hear through. Loud PIERCING HIGH NOTES is their issue.
Also this post is a very good point and what I was always bothered by. I mean, honestly...

Their planet is heavily forested with plants that have soft, satiny leaves and flexible branches that never snap because they rot very soon after they die. The aliens evolved hyper-acute hearing in order to detect approaching predators that are nearly silent without the sound of brushing and breaking undergrowth to give them away.

>I think the Ferengi homeworld is soo ill-suited to their species because either they caused climate change which caused the rains, or maybe it's not even their original homeworld.
That's a good point. Given how anarcho-capitalist their civilization is, I doubt they consider environmental preservation to be a high priority.

This here.
Rain dumbs down other noises.
You can make a rain dropping wall and dont hear all noises behind it.
Try standing in a cave behind a waterfall. You will feel deaf.

Preservation doesnt make profit

Their race was originally sent to that planet (unwillingly) as punishment for some unethical reason. As time went on they decided they wanted to stay when they realized the planet could be mined for a rubbery like substance that can be shoved in their ears and work as ear plugs. They now use the planets unstable weather patterns to keep out strangers and live in peace.

Well, loud noises DO definitely hurt their ears. That's shown repeatedly. Also, their ears are physically quite sensitive on the outside.

Maybe Ferenginar started off as a dry planet but at some point in their tech tree they developed an industrial process which had the side effect of supercharging the planet's water cycle/humidity.

Being the ardent capitalists that they are they went hog wild with it, and now reap their rewards in constant downpours of pristine non-toxic water.

(I have no idea what sort of technology could cause this but it's Star Trek you can make up any old shit you want)

They did mention something about environmental cleanup towards the end of DS9. I can't remember it specifically, but I'm not sure if they mentioned a greater dry season.

Can we appreciate how great the Ferengi were? Their little sleeping piles and alarm screech were played up for comedy, but also informed a bit upon their biology and culture. I'm happy whenever a Ferengi is on screen, but more specifically I think they're an exceedingly clever part of what was already an exceedingly clever series.

- Planets will have varying climates over their surface. They didn't evolve on the part of the planet where it rains all the time. They only occupy it now because they destroyed the parts where they did evolve, or they only let aliens visit the parts they like the least.

- The other solutions posted so far.

- Your campaign is attacked by the supervillian Dr. Retcon.

This is a dumb idea, if you collectively hate your homeland, little will be done, without another unifying factor
>inb4 that is the unifying factor

The sound of the reason is outside of frequency range they can hear on

Like dog wistle

Forgive me if I get the science wrong, but if it's always raining, shouldn't there be a lot of thunder as well? I'm guessing that this 'keen hearing' race would want a way to shield their ears from that sort of loud noise, the sound of rain isn't too bad unless we're talking storms and monsoon types.

Tell the player the following, in this order:
>shut up.
>roll initiative

The rain is rarely or never heavy enough to make much noise.

We generally abhor savage behavior but live on a planet full of muslims, contradiction isn't hard to live with.

I never thought I'd see Sir Patrick in casual dress. I imagined that he'd always look dapper, like a proper English gentleman.

o hai /pol/
humans can let whatever atrocities they like happen as long as there's an explanation for it that makes them feel good.

The rain is soothing white noise. every ping is a calming charm to them. The song of home.

Despite having no issue themselves with the rain, they understand the value of being dry and keeping places dry on the inside, especially with mildew, mould and the such.
Also they wear outfits that are uncomfortable when wet as a subtle sign of wealth as it signifies they were not outside making money because they already have money.
Or that the shirt salesman just pulled a swifty on them.

They didn't start out hating their home planet, but after a few centuries as a space faring race, the center of the culture shifted from the home planet to the colonies/spacebound society. The home planet fell out of favor and the members of the race that couldn't afford to leave are looked down upon by those that left or were born in space.

I do agree that having them leave the planet because they hate it is a dumb idea.

>an alien race that fucking hates their home planet and uses it like a prison colony/trash dump
This is the nugget of a good idea though.

My guess would be when they developed the weather balloon, they merged it with the key tied to a string. Rich families would have a bunch of rechargeable batteries under their house. So there was less lightning over rich houses, and the static electricity just didn't get the chance to build up to the really big thunderclaps. They invented the lightning rod and used it to make hinges rest on same-pole magnets. Then someone figured out the silent sliding door on magnets. This was followed by a wave of assassinations, resulting in the soundless electrically-powered door that goes "shoosh."

I ask the player "Can you hear your own heartbeat?"

See, hear something unimportant regularly enough, you're mind filters it out. You only hear it again when the sound changes.

>Quickly! You're the GM, and you established that an alien race breathes air and can barely swim, but then you established that their homeplanet is two-thirds ocean. How do you explain this contradiction when a player calls you out on it?

They just stick to the shore, or farther inland. Also they float. Also they like worshiping ancient, mystic, mountain civilizations, so there's always a few of them in existence at all times. For when enough of the other people stop floating and just sink. Then they get to either play guru of the robe-wearing crystal carriers, and/or repopulate the species.

Especially in Star Trek.

Remember when Riker killed two people and no one cared?

Remember when Picard led psychotic supersoldiers to a friendly planet's Parliament and then left and then ended the episode?

Remember when Enterprise met two unique cultures and instead of helping them, forced them to breed with each other and dismantle their own societies?

Who did they sell their original homeworld to ?

Environment probably violated the NAP

They invented earplugs.

how the joke flew so far over your head is beyond me

The notion of the Environment as something to protect and regulate around rather than to exploit was right up there on the list of cardinal sins Quark saw his mother as tricking the Nagus into introducing to their society, right along with taxes, health care, and rights for women.

Just put some quotes around home, and slap some headphones on those fuckers.

Rain isn't very noisy on their planet.

>Remember when Picard led psychotic supersoldiers to a friendly planet's Parliament and then left and then ended the episode?
Which is this episode?

"The Hunted"

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hunted_(episode)

It was basically Star Trek Does First Blood, in a way, probably meant to be a take on how the US government treated Vietnam veterans. Personally I think the episode was good, if a bit heavy-handed as many TNG episodes were.

The rain is constant but light, and their society as such hasn't moved towards flat hard surfaces as these cause the rain to become a nuissance

Literally autistic user here. Noises that are regular, uniform, and white-noise-ish are pretty tolerable for me when I am trying to study/write/read.
Low, steady engine/computer fan noises or the sound of heavy, sustained rainfall is fine for me, I can usually adjust.

But if I am really trying to concentrate, if I hear any sort of high-variability noise, like someone talking in a conversation, it sets me on edge.

I imagine it's like that.

Repost this and tell the mod to move CYOA and Gamefinder threads off Veeky Forums.

Don't forget when Worf devolved into a crabman, killed a crewman, tried to rape Deanna, and then everybody forgot about it

To be fair nobody could really be held responsible for the fucked up shit they did in that episode.

Also literal autist, same here except if it hits a high pitch, at which point it's unbearable. I work in a small room that has two large machines and their loud extractors going almost constantly.

Doesn't take an autist to notice that. The human brain filters out uniform, droning sounds, and focuses on anything that stands out. It's much easier to sleep in the waiting hall of a busy train station than a silent room where someone walks in every five minutes.

The rustling of the leaves isn't important, the twig cracking under the tiger's paw is.

They initially evolved larger ears as an umbrella type situation they allowed them to keep water out of their ears and stalk prey

> I can't help save your planet because muh precious prime directive
> Unless it helps the federation out, then fuck it, we'll interfere however we see fit.

or worse
>We'll "help" just long enough to force you into a terrible situation that serves our interest, then claim noninterference and leave.
Off the top of my head:
-Drug pusher planet & Drug addict planet
-Supersoldier planet
-Planet where everyone's a black guy

You don't. Rule Zero, bitch.