Your party is getting ready to start their adventure. You're all level 1, with nothing but the clothes on your backs...

Your party is getting ready to start their adventure. You're all level 1, with nothing but the clothes on your backs. A wizman, taking pity on your lack of equipment, transports you all to a modern day sporting goods store. You can take whatever you can carry on your person. He'll pick up the tab, then send you back to the tavern so you can start in on those rats in the basement.

What would you take with you?

Surely this sporting goods store has a hunting section. I would take a modern hunting rifle.

Unfortunately, the store is in Connecticut, and the shopkeeper can't sell you a gun or ammunition without a permit.

Assuming this is a standard early medieval setting, how would you know what a hunting rifle is?

>A mountain bike
>a gun
>whatever camping supplies seem useful

If I was completely unarmed, I'd probably take a baseball bat or something to deal with the rats, but most mundane equipment in fantasy settings is more suited to combat than modern sporting goods.

Ask a store employee.

>You there, service knave. What is this contraption? It looks like some sort of club!

padding from american football, a gun if we are in murica otherwise a compound bow, javelins, synthetic clothing, rainwear, sleeping bags, back packs, shoes, water bottles, medical stuff, fire starting kits, self charging flashlight, portable tent, bug spray and all the other stuff you would normally take camping on a trail where you were planing on hunting.

Depends on my character. If they're an assassin then see if there's some form a camouflage or maybe some fishing wire (makes a good garrote in a pinch). If they're a martial class, then probably some form a body armor (I mean football shoulder pads, helmet, etc.) or a weapon like a baseball bat, lacrosse stick, archery equipment. If they're a whizzard, then'll I pick up something that interests me, like a bottle of raid (so I can spray it in the fucking rouge's eyes when that cunt steals my shit).

Hiking boots.
Some watter bottles and squeezes.
Hockey goalie's padded shirt.
Hockey goalie's padded pants.
Forearm protectors.
Shin protectors.
Fighting gloves.
Goalie helmet with cage.
A barbell to use as a war hammer.

as far as actually killing the rats, I get a medival sack full of ashes and a small shovel, fling the ashes onto the rats that try to fight back (this blinds them and burns their noses)

>A barbell to use as a war hammer.
Now I want to play a gentleman bodybuilder (moustache required) who uses this as his weapon of choice.

Surely modern equipment is of better quality than anything a smith could make. I would load up on hatchets, skinning knives, arrow heads, and compound bows.

When i return with my mountain of supermetal masterwork goods, i trade them for actually useful equipment.

Knives and axes that never rust and hold an edge 100 times longer than any other are surely worth something. if magic and superior items are commonly available, why aren't we getting equipped in-setting, and why are we even bothering with these rats?

I keep for my self an axe, a knife, a machete, a mess kit and cookware, a cot, a tent, fishing line and tackle, and a bow.

kill the wizman and take his shit, he clearly has better gear. If I can't kill him I die trying

You die trying.

Bow, hunting arrows, quiver, bigass diving knife, backpack, hiking boots, motocross protections, hockey goalie helmet, hunting gloves, hunting pants, hunting belt

>He'll pick up the tab, then send you back to the tavern so you can start in on those rats in the basement.
Rat traps

the only right answer

I buy sunscreen, bug spray, and sports drinks thinking they are potions. Hopefully, I don't get sick from trying to drink those.
Also a sleeping bag, tent, backpack, and other normal clothing like items that I recognize from my time.

A Shotgun, give it to the Dwarf.
Bowling balls and a single pin, give them to the other Dwarf.
Baseball bat and balls, give them to the third Dwarf.

I don't trust wizmen.

They say you can equip yourself at the sporting good store and when you get back home the shit's all made of piss.