Song of Swords:Finnish anthropophobic development tactics edition

Last time on Song of Swords:
Zesty Zell hoochies
Some ballad shit, and pictures of guns!
SDT Gizka critiques

Song of Swords is a realistic fantasy tabletop RPG that draws inspiration from historical fechtbuchs, weapons and armor. Its combat system is fast and it can be used for both fantasy and historical/mundane settings. Inevitably, you will always have that one gay ass zell in the party everyone works together to kill.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

Here's a MEGA folder with the newest version of the rules as well as all related current working documents. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a walkthrough on creating a character
paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ

Here's a walkthrough on weapon schools for SoS 1.9.9 with examples
paste2.org/6OyOsFM3

Ballad weapons and calibers converted to their real world counterparts: paste2.org/Hp7eDsa7

Sexy pictures from the devs showing what the guns in ballad were based on: mega.nz/#F!R4Bh0JxB!NCf0FyXqxcmaE2mG3YZKxw

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

We need to purge this bullshit zell degeneracy with actual campaign stories. Step up and get talking all my proper Chironite brethren.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mokomokai
teara.govt.nz/en/1966/robley-major-general-horatio-gordon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket_Wars#Use_of_the_musket_by_M.C4.81ori
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pā
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rangiriri
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So, how do your players react to getting arrested? How do you, as a player?

IRL or in game? if the former, man what are your tabletop nights LIKE

>he doesn't get into fist fights over dice rolls
More seriously, I did mean the characters, but some players are dicks about bad luck or their own bad decisions.

as a Floridian I can explain all those articles: Meth is cheap here.

mods are asleep

post armor

that is not armor.

but it intrigues me

Now that's how you're supposed to do SoS.

hey, you guys are supposedly decent at arms understanding

can any of you tell me why the japanese continued to use tanged spear heads when they knew how to make socketed ones? i know for a fact using a tanged spear head means that as soon as you put significant inward pressure on the head you're going to split your fucking spear haft

Wow. That's fuckin metal.

LotFP is pretty cool. Got me interested in OSR, and after looking at a few it's still pretty much my favourite.

Okay so like

y'know how a yari in full furnishings almost always has a part up near the head that's colored differently, ribbed, or otherwise stands out from the rest of the haft? That section holds the tang, and it's reinforced a good bit. That plus the pins that hold the tang securely inside basically keep the tang from splitting the shaft by limiting how much it can jam back and making sure it's up against something fairly tough when it does.

Not that guy, but it seems like quite a bit more of a pain in the ass than socketing. I guess that's the japs for you though.

So I'd be down to play SOS, but the combat system is too autistic. Somebody make an app that does all the heavy mental lifting for me.

That's funny. The system is mechanically more simple than DnD.

Once you get into it it is rather simple, really.
I only lurk in here regularly for probably 6 months +/- now. And when I heard about a ballad tournament I made a character, asked someone to teach me a bit in the roll20, and participated in the tournament. I have't even read the book back to back once desu, mostly only the most relevant sections. Character creation and combat.
Granted Ballad is a bit simpler than "vanilla" SoS (that's why some systems from Ballad will be taken into SoS apparently) from what I've heard.

I'm obviously no expert, but what exactly is too much heavy lifting for you? Finding the correct tables and looking stuff up in them can be a bit of a pain, but keep in mind that (in the best case) this changes once the book is properly laid out.

Also:
- I might finish the Maneuver flash cards at some point
- I'm currently writing a shitty chargen program for SoS (like seriously shitty atm. Only textbased, but not nearly as pretty at that as the F.A.T.A.L. one I've seen). Might do some combat stuff once I'm done with that. In the far, far future.
- I might make a reference sheet for the wound tables and shit
But currently I need to learn for exams

Well we've found the child killer

I think i made a "quick" reference wound chart once but it was still several pages long and a little confusing. it's probably one of the clunkier to use parts of the game in real life

Amazing news, my constant evangelism means my friend is running their 1st ever Ballad campaign.

A little annoyingly they're doing it before I got round to it and I'm not able to be a player.

Socketed spears in Japan did tend to get used for the cheaper yari they could produce more quickly, IIRC.

Is that guy in the back stabbed with the fucking monopod?

Does anyone have the complete damage tables for Sword's Path Glory? I can't find the book for sale anywhere, nor can I find a PDF with the complete damage tables. I only have about 7 of them in my file, and there should be about 50. The PDF share thread hasn't come through yet.

That is actually very impressive.

I want to make a short lived character that just goes fucking nuts on a nigger on the first turn with no thoughts for their own defense.
What weapon fully encapsulates that?
A fuckoff huge axe?
A fuckoff huge sword?
A knife, for Dacian rush?

try 7chans Veeky Forums they usually have a huge pdf thread. Alternatively ps aka Phoomphy on dejatoons irc channel #rpg-books might have it.

I think the Dane axe has some of the best damage potential and is VL, though halberds and Lucerne hammers are around the same level of power.

>Dacian rush
lol
It's a shitty maneuver with awful chances of success. Never use it. Use a Dane Axe or Halberd or Pole-Flail.

Dacian Rush is very strong situationally. If you're getting the drop on someone whose weapon is sheathed, it seems to be the equivalent of grabbing their weapon as you run in, pushing it back into its sheath, and then stabbing them over and over.

But in more serious combat, it's a good way to get killed.

I'd say the best Suicide Squad character build would be a person with a Dane Axe or an Ahlspeiss. You could also do pretty well with an Arming Spear, desu.

If you're getting the drop on someone it'd be better to put all of your dice into your attack, maybe saving 2 for a Feint to tax their halved CP further, than it is to spend enough dice at TN 7 hoping to beat their PER, which will probably be at least 4, also at TN 7. Just go all in.

If they have a helmet on, and not too crazy of a Per, you can with that D-Rush prevent them from quickdrawing a weapon, and render any other defense against your attack at +2 TN.

It's the only way I can think of to put the enemy at that level of disadvantage. Halved pool for surprise, no weapon to use because of DR, +2 TN for any actual defense.

With that Dacian Rush you have to put in at least 4 dice into the Hand Blind to hope to beat their PER. Preventing them from quickdrawing isn't a concern: in an ambush you should be at your ideal range, and if their intent is to parry your attack, let them waste the dice quickdrawing and paying range costs to parry. You can use Feint to raise their DTN by +1 for just 2 dice, unless they waste yet 2 more of their dice to prevent it. That works against all defenses.
With 4+ more dice in your attack instead of spent on the Hand Blind, you're more likely to beat their defense and more likely to cause a stronger wound, than you wound be with hoping you beat their PER with those 4+ dice. Besides, if your dagger is Short, you'll have to pay 1 for range to do the Hand-range Hand Blind part of the Dacian Rush.

Thanks for the help, but neither of them seem to have it. All the damage tables should be at the back of book 1, but no one seems to have them.

Jimmy, fix it.

>pole-flail
Man if you can ever pull off a hit with one of those things it'll be lights out for whoever's on the other end.

That makes sense.

>driving some Spanish guys around
>Get to destination
>One of them is literally drinking whiskey in my car
Stay in school kids.

>driving SoS around in the editmobile
>Never reach destination
>"It's fine, everything is fine"
Finish the game Jimmy.

What's even happening with this game? it's been like 4 years.

Big update of laser whales soon. I'm competing with my own editors now.

no, fuck off, big update of song of swords

A fuckoff huge club

Y'know, tetsubo's an unconventional choice but it has potential.

Is Napoleonic stuff best left for when SoS/Balled integration is smoothed out?

There was a Sharpe-esque fecht a while back.

It died, like all the others.

Tetsubo, like a WEEB!?

>"general sir, look at this faggot"

The general guideline I've used is the following: Song of Swords from Prehistory to Civil War 1863, Ballad from 1861 to anywhere else.

You're quite obviously not going to have fun if you're just a line infantryman. The game can otherwise handle heroics, cavalry, skrmishers and so on fairly well.

>You're quite obviously not going to have fun if you're just a line infantryman

It's almost like you don't enjoy the sepsis

There was a billboard on my way home, just got set up this week. It reads as:

>SEPSIS
>see it
>stop it
>survive it

That dude's pretty metal.

Yeah. Let's see a fecht with him vs a maori!
Heads for the head-wall!

How can white men even compete?

For starters, white man has gun.

Maori also has gun, but white man won't give Maori gun cleaning kit so Maori guns have to use increasingly smaller bullets.

well he did manage to take like 30 maori heads, I guess that is how he can compete.

Never judge a fighter by his looks or size. You never know what someone is capable of until it's too late.

That is fucking genius. Just don't tell them that guns can be cleaned. "Oh yeah, you have to get a new one every 500 shots or so."

>well he did manage to take like 30 maori heads, I guess that is how he can compete.
I don't know why you assume he took all those heads just because he has them.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mokomokai
teara.govt.nz/en/1966/robley-major-general-horatio-gordon

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket_Wars#Use_of_the_musket_by_M.C4.81ori

Will give them this, they adapted to firearms a bit better than the Zulu did.

>Maori were not beyond customising their muskets; for example, some enlarged the touch holes which, while reducing muzzle velocity, increased rate of fire.
How?

At school here in NZ, we were taught that Maoris basically invented trench warfare, but I've never actually bothered to check the veracity of that.

Well it's not so much trenches as fortified terraces, but Maori hill forts were pretty awesome.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pā

>How?

Not sure. It might make priming require less time I guess, but that can't be significant enough a reduction to matter, can it?

Specifically I was thinking mainly of the First Taranaki War, which involved relatively significant field works on both sides.

also en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rangiriri

>The British success at Rangiriri and several subsequent battles opened the Waikato basin to the British forces and the government subsequently confiscated 1.3 million hectares of land for use by settlers.[2]
>In 1995 the Crown apologised for its actions.
I'm sure that made it all better.

I want to translate Song of Swords into Wuxia. Please talk me out of this.

Well what should we do, knock down our towns and give it all back?

Do it fgit.

No. Do it.

How on Earth is this game mechanically simpler than D&D? Roll to hit, for for damage vs. pages of complex maneuvers and charts.

You don't have to roll for damage, you just apply a static value plus bonus successes as damage, minus another static value (armor + toughness).

How on Earth is this game mechanically harder than D&D? Roll to attack, roll to defend, look up a table vs. pages of complex class feats and magic spells.

I dare you to!
I triple-dog-dare you to.

Can gritty detail even blend well with high-flying fantasy? Won't it just bog the game down without adding enough to justify its inclusion?

RoS-descendents are as crunchy as you want. A simple comparison of dice pool results to resolve a round isn't very hard, and it's trivial to boil the game down to strike, parry, thrust, and block. Because of the situationalness of more advanced maneuvers, you'll probably do pretty well just doing that too. The vast majority of maneuvers aren't necessary to enjoy the game at all.

Roll to hit once per turn, don't roll for damage, check wound tables only if managed to hit hard and get through armor, make choices that matter

VS

rolling multiple times, consulting rules every now and then and applying several modifiers (but it's okay because you get used to it after hundredth time) over many turns

You forgot
>constantly check the rules to decide what maneuver to use
for SoS

>constantly check the rules to decide what maneuver to use
For what purpose? You can't remember what Attack or Sim Parry/Strike does?

To decide what maneuver is best right now obviously. You saying you can remember Riposte,Butt Strike, how Half sword works with Butt Strike, how much stun Hook does, Feint, what shield maneuvers are available, the whole of grappling rules, how misc. actions work, and what Superior does with all those maneuvers?

>You saying you can remember Riposte,Butt Strike, how Half sword works with Butt Strike, how much stun Hook does, Feint, what shield maneuvers are available, the whole of grappling rules, how misc. actions work, and what Superior does with all those maneuvers?
I need to remember only maneuvers I can use.

Do it faggot. Invent a shit-ton of unarmed maneuvers with fancy names and upload the results here.

Which are most of them since most are universal. God forbid you ever stop playing baby mode and use a sword.

HEy, I made a thing.
The idea is that, if you use it on PC you have the text on the front page that links to the page of the right charts, and if you print it, you can cut away the rectangle on the right of each page as indicated so you have "tabs" so you can quickly flip to the right page.

CONQUISTADORES

you'll never solve the Riddle of Steel like that

I want to try a spell to summon Coffee.

Finns have a historic affinity for Nazis. Try sacrificing 100 jobbers in Ballad of the Laser Whales. I'm sure it'd be Opaque Approved.

Where does this meme come from? The Opaque guys are a bunch of Slavophiles, not fascists.

>Implying Slavophiles can't be fascists

It's because of Laser Whales. The game doesn't really portray the fascists as evil, just as another faction in an ongoing ideological conflict with no good guys. The two dudes who the fechts revolved around literally machinegunned a crowd of antifas.

No, give him the blood of communists!
Finns yet yearn for the death of russians!

How come no one is jizzing over this? This is amazing

Only thing I'd do is add the Target Zone Modifiers and fix some typos

>Thigh - Unarmed
>Level 5
>Leg severed at knee. Knockdown automatic. Death by exsanguination likely to follow
That's a pretty savage punch, to take a man's leg clean off

Okay TZM is done. I'll do the typos whenever they get pointed out or I stumble on them. The tables are copied straight from SoS, so any errors in there (except the formatting of the "Special" column) should be in the book. Well, unless I fucked up and copied entries to the wrong table like the other user pointed out.

Oh damn. Fixed.

The new thing is in the folder #4 mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q . I dont wan't to end up posting all minor changes here, so I'll just keep it there I think.

This is cute. I've been playing TRoS and its successors since 2011.

So, I have not lurked the thread for about four months, any major lore changes/additions?

Now there is raft-mexicans with wood-guns and zells are confirmed as an egg-laying species.