EDH/Commander General

This is the only commander image I have saved edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/current-daretti-2/
commandertheory.com/post/150505837082/kaladesh-commander-set-review
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/be-advised/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/time-crimes/?cat=type
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Post em boys

This dude any good as a commander or nah?

>This is the only commander image I have saved edition
appchanX lets you link images

He's alright. I prefer him in the 99 when I use him though.

He's playable, not great but playable

give him infect

Fuck off

How worthwhile is it to invest in a Mana Crypt now? Is it really that great, or is that just a meme?

What other fast mana do you think is worthwhile?

FOOD CHAIN BAN WHEN

FUCKING

WHEN

the Legal moxen that aren't Opal are dank as fuck in multiplayer.

Mana crypt is top 5 most powerful cards currently legal in edh, off the top of my head only gaea's cradle is arguably better

In terms of card effectiveness, mana crypt is as worthwhile as an investment can be

BUT

It's still just a magic card, not a great investment

>Trying to find good decklists on EDHrec/Tappedout for any given commander
>Half are disjointed ultra budget stuff with no explanation or immediate, rational construction
>The other half are people just stuffing the list with the highest priced goodstuff as possible and marking everything as foiled to inflate the deck price without any actual strategy

Mox opal is still insanely good it's just more build around

Ye. The other two are near auto-includes, but Opal is deck dependent.

>play only the best cards
>all foiled to intimidate the opponent

Sounds like a strategic decision to me

Not the most cost effective strategy but certainly a good one

Looking for a bit of help here:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/current-daretti-2/

Really just in terms of efficiency and/or focus. Worried I might be going too hard towards goodstuff, especially in the maybeboard. Worth swapping Daretti and Slobad? Caged Sun is basically just being a ghetto Metalworker for the time being.

Significantly higher upside in the decks that want it though

My homie cut all the mountain related mana doublers from his daretti deck but he had a really low land count so it's different, caged sun seems good in your list

You can have the best/most expensive cards but they usually have some sort of reason they reached that price. I keep seeing decks that run expensive modern staples that really don't function the same in a 100 card, singleton, multiplayer format.

Edhrec is great for staples, but it's just an aggregator. A deck needs utility and glue cards to be good, not just a pile of wincons. As for the decklists, ever been to a gp? Most players are retards.

Yeah, it generates some good Mana. I just felt I should clarify why it's there, given how few things benefit from the other ability.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/current-daretti-2/

Definitely add Alhammarret's Archive. Plus you need this in your life.

>Oloro's Death Star

How do I build around this guy?

My favorite combo!

Any advice on cuts? Nothing's a pet card or anything like that.

>Whenever you cast a spell, you gain 1 life for each spell you've cast this turn.

So is it incremental life gain with each spell?

Most modern staples are still good in edh even if they are less good in edh than they are in modern

I.e. Lightning bolt, abrupt decay, lili of the veil

If they are running tarmogoyf in edh that would be a little different, that one is legit mediocre in edh

broken when combined with infect

It's like lifegain Storm

how would you rate Marath as a commander?

Here, have at it:
commandertheory.com/post/150505837082/kaladesh-commander-set-review

Any decks this would be super broken in?

Not a fan of Temple Bell in this type of deck. Clock of Omens seems like a lot of work for that effect. I cut Trading Post from my build because I never felt it did well. I've never tried Skullclamp in my Daretti deck because its not creature/token heavy so I don't know how much utility it gives you.

Other additions you can make are:

Haven of the Spirit Dragon, because you are running Ugin plus other dragons.
Feldon. It combos with Hoarding Dragon and lets you tutor for an artifact every turn.
Tamiyo's Journal. Gives you an artifact every turn that you can either sac or turn into card advantage and if you get to three you get to tutor.

>Lightning bolt, abrupt decay, lili of the veil
>good in edh

what

Most decks honestly, Azami is the first one that comes to mind.

Well that's infinite spell triggers for Storm, I guess.
Basalt Monolith, Grim Monolith, or Mana Vault would be better than Sol Ring, since that produces infinite colorless mana.

oh thats cheeky. what are some gross g/b infect shenanigans?

A single other mana rock or mana dork gives infinite mana you dip

oh shit. whats a deck that can really abuse this? Noyan Dar cantrips comes to mind

What are good creatures to put in a Feldon deck in red?

Bogardan Hellkite
Flametongue Kavu
Spitebellows
Spawn of Thraxes
Inferno Titan
Outrage Shaman
Molten Primordial
Hoarding Dragon
Wurmcoil Engine
Duplicant

Hoarding Dragon
Utvara Hellkite
Molten Primordial
Thunderblust
Spawn of Thraxes
Tyrant of Discord
Wurmcoil Engine

Wurmcoil Engine
Sandstone Oracle
Myr Battlesphere
Hoarding Dragon
Mindclaw Shaman
Molten Primordial
Bogardan Hellkite

anything with an etb or a ltb/death trigger.

Thanks much, I've made a few tweaks to the deck.

Do you suppose it's worth dropping Darksteel Colossus? I think he's really just there for theme at this point.

Dump a phyrexian dreadnought or deaths shadow in the graveyard turn, cast an infect creature, summon varolz and scavenge for +12/+12 or +13/+13 for 1 mana on your infect guy

Second only to really oppressive shit like prossh Derevi and other top tier strats not relying on a specific commander like storm and stax

So tier 2?

He's great

You're welcome. And yes, he is just a big beater and its kind of a nonbo with your deck because you can't recur him with Daretti. Blightsteel is much better but you already have him in.

I would say any storm deck could use it to gain essentially infinite life

This is super spicy, I already run the scepter and sol ring in my Azami deck, and the new card is decent in Azami without the rest of the combo pieces

1 mana instant speed kill a utility creature is good

2 mana uncounterably kill almost any utility thing or combo piece is also good

Lili is also just good value

They aren't staples like in modern but they are still good in many decks

Care to post your azami deck?

>not playing in a meta where low drops are deadly
That's what competitive edh looks like. Bolt clips Ezuri, Azami, Jhoira, Darevi...

abrupt decay is better, loads of deadly shit at 3CMC. Game winning combos usually have components at under 4 CMC.

LotV, i dunno.

>Bolt clips Derevi

And then he comes back for the same price again and again and again and again...

Abrupt decay is good since a it can''t be countered and takes out a lot of dirty low CMC artifacts or a Sol Ring if you must.

Snapcaster is acceptable in EDH if he's in a shell that allows for blinking him for repeat use.

LotV, Goyf, and Jace are good, but not not really as reliably good as in other formats.

Which brings it around to the original point: EDH is a different format, just stuffing a decklist with the priciest cards in your colors doesn't actually make it a good list. Many "good stuff" staples are also only really good stuff if you can run a playset and have a greater probability of holding them in your hand.

finally done after 300000 hours in mspaint

Efficiency of scale is a huge difference between edh and a duel. The amount of power and threat your cards need to have is proportionate to having to do up to 120 damage rather than just 20.

Even in competitive, the utility of bolt is questionable just because of how little it does. Sure, you killed Azami, but with two other players, you might not have even given yourself an extra turn to live.

Post Teeg list pls

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/be-advised/

Incorrect.

EDH is the format of value. You want to 2 for 1 with cards, not 1 for 1.

People not playing enough one for one removal is the number one cause of issues dealing with problematic strategies

I don't agree with you. The problem arises when people don't understand what is and isn't a problem.

It doesn't matter if you can identify the problem or not if you don't play enough answers. If you're referring to threat assessment that is an issue as well.

You need removal that actually deals with problems. Bolting Derevi and not having a Krosan grip for his winter orb is missing the point.

I agree, but I don't think 'efficient' damage based removal like Lightning Bolt or Helix is what you should be using. Those spells can only ever kill utility creatures, maybe some of the smaller generals, but they lose their usability really fast.

I do agree you should look for more 2-for-1s than 1-for-1s, though. Shit like Wear // Tear or Return to Dust can be way more useful than Naturalize.

I'm not the guy who said Derevi. Focusing down one dumb thing he said doesn't defeat the entire point. Krosan Grip is as much one for one removal as well so the point still stands anyway.

Utility creatures are the workhorses. Those turn 1 elves are the ones giving those green decks a head start for example. I don't necessarily advocate bolt I suppose but still.

They are, but using your pointed removal on those will usually leave you without it for when you -really- need it, like when they try to play their wincon. I find it's better to get rid of those when you finally just Wrath the board; it won't be card disadvantage then and you'll keep the removal for the true danger.

> grasping this hard for a disagreement.
If you can't tell the difference between contributing and being contrary, you're going to end up greeting a lot of good things in life with defensiveness.

It depends on the situation and the deck. But by then it could be too late. honestly that dork has already done its job by the time its lost summoning sickness and lived a turn or two and accelerated him to turn 3 or 4 a turn earlier which is where tuned decks even in multiplayer tend to have most of its payload in my experience. It's why I've always been strictly against the concept that creature dorks were bad in commander, since the idea is that that they are supposed to get you to a point where you're up tempo at which point them getting them wrathed away generally doesn't hurt as much save for a land light hand that was reliant on a lot of dorks to function of course or really any number of situations.

I don't understand. I thought my post was pretty inoffensive and I don't see where I'm grasping at anything. It is 100% a truth that making one bad example in a group of otherwise relevant ones doesn't make render them invalid, and also 100% a truth that Krosan Grip is also one for one removal. I don't think either of the points made in my posts was grasping. Am I missing the point of the post I initially replied to or something?

Its 100% the truth that kgrip costs 2g. I'm not going to lament that every post as if I'm imagining that every single post replying to me is one person that thinks otherwise, because I'm not a tool and this is an anonymous imageboard.

Oh, I get it. I don't know why you'd have mentioned Derevi otherwise if you weren't under the impression I was the same person who brought it up earlier, especially since the example given of gripping winter orb instead of bolting derevi wasn't really a comparison brought up in my post which just mentioned spot removal in a general sense and didn't mention Derevi at all, not specifically creature removal or bolt in particular. my post otherwise doesn't seem to have prompted the bolt versus krosan grip thing otherwise if you didn't think I was that guy. But my bad, I assumed incorrectly I guess.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/time-crimes/?cat=type

Lightning bolt is great in edh, you can nip planeswalkers and important creatures with it for 1 mana at instant speed

Instant speed removal is so important, especially 1 mana instant speed removal

Bet you fags don't even run nature's claim

I mean, I can see there's probably definitely metas where bolt is ineffective a lot of the time. it doesn't take much but to just be dealing with generally untuned decks which is probably admittedly the majority of the commander playerbase.

Idk why people think this dumbass trip fag has a right to an opinion on what's competitive or effective, I've seen his shitty decks he posts

not with your turbo-autist template

I hope "competitive" wasn't the angle he was coming from. I would be very upset.

I know this is irrelevant, but thank you /edhg/, thank you for being reasonable posters most of the time. I forgot how retarded some of this site is.

Have some spicy red tech.

It's shit

This card is dope but it's a little overcosted for something so slow

Could be sweet in a jhoira suspend and time counters deck though

>suspend with Jihora
>destroy four of your opponent's nonbasic lands for 2
No, it's pretty good.

You got it, I suspend it, then bounce it, and cast it again most of the time. It was awesome before wastes were a thing.

Oh, also, if you're running something that can steal counters of permanents, like vampire hexmage, and you steal all the suspend counters off it, guess what happens.

Correction, that will only work with things like timebender, or timecrafting.

So, I came across her for my possible next deck. Does anyone have any specific juicy tech or advice for her?

Lots of removal and self sacrificing value artifacts. Executioner's Capsule is your friend

Shes... underwhelming. Neither black nor green are particularly good artifact colours, and in most black and green decks, I want to throw down some serious damage because that's their strong suit.

Honestly, what do you want to do? If you want to run Golgari, I recommend Mazierk, because he can be built pretty powerful on a budget, or Memnarch, because he's one of the better artifact commanders in better artifact colours.

Urborg, Tomb and black spells
In that order I'd suppose.

I mostly build around commanders I thought are cool, and when I read her I just got a nice feeling about her. And Artifacts and golgari both are things I had not done yet, and I love black.

Plus, only golgari that's being run in our playgroup is a few people with Meren.

>about to start playing tonight with group
>one opponent turns to the other
>so the usual, we team up on user, right?
>i'm just playing Sisay while they're playing bullshit Tazri and Mizzix decks
>they're both focusing on me HARD all game,but through multiple well timed plays I'm able to keep myself in a pretty good spot
>mizzix guy tutors a counter spell and uses it on my shit twice, getting it back from the grave into his hand both times
>doesn't even care that Tazri is filling up his field with ETB allies that are hurting both of us
>i know he still has the counter in hand, but he taps out for a turn of big card draw
>take this chance to get out everything I need to shut his bullshit down and allow myself to not play on the defensive for the first time in the game
>next turn comes around and mizzix just passes, leaving all his mana completely untapped
>still has the counter in his hand
>Tazri guy turns to him
>If I cast this card can I trust that you won't counter it?
>Sure
>Casts some horseshit that lets him tutor FIVE CARDS in an ETB OTK deck
>Drops Wrath of God to wipe most of my field and then flips a combo to deal both me and the mizzix dude 66 damage for GG
>Table won't let me play a single card over 4CMC without countering or removing it, but no one gives a shit and watches as the Tazri guy OTKs the whole table
Anyone else have this problem, where for literally no reason at all you're viewed as the "final boss" of the group and always getting hated off the table first? I taught both of them how to play MTG so for that reason alone I'll always be viewed as the guy that always wins and has "OP" decks even though I play mostly durdly tutors and they play dumb shit like Taz. How am I supposed to deal with this shit?

It's a /mu/ and /soc/ thing actually, which are two of the least autistic boards on Veeky Forums.

my friend played this against another friend's scarecrow deck tonight. 10/10

>/mu/
>least autistic

is there a way to play stax that doesn't feel like you're just ruining everyone's fun?

>anyone else have this problem

Nobody has this problem, not even you, ya fuggin liar