/5eg/ D&D 5e General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

In last weeks episode: Let's talk about Volo's Guide to Monsters. Will the Firbolg be a Large race? Will all of the monsters be as cute as this one? What are you most excited for?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/776567281241382912
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Will the Firbolg be a Large race?
No. They will be like goliaths

>What are you most excited for?
I'm most excited for these being official.
Based homo Mearls.

that cute little monster is eight stories tall and is a crustacean from the protozoic era."

Repostan from previous thread

I'm looking to maybe start doing some world building for fun and in case our current game falls off for some reason, however I'm too lazy to start such a large task so was maybe thinking of designing a one-shot that may eventually turn into something more. I feel this may get my creative juices flowing for a full world later.

So are there any good ideas for low level one-shot adventures that are quite open-ended?
I was thinking maybe a heist of some kind but anything a little more interesting than the usual "Go here and kill the local X to help out Y town".

tldr: Some good unconventional one shot ideas for a FR-esque setting

Fuck off.

You don't like new races?

As a reminder from the previous thread, I'm going to post the other pictures from Volo's Guide to Monsters. Overall, I'm satisfied with the art quality, though your mileage may vary.

Can someone please make a balanced version of this? I can handle all the weeb in the world but imbalance fucking triggers me.

This joke is getting old, you know.

It's very balanced though.
All the features except the +10 speed aren't all that great, and then compare that to aarakocra which gets +20 *AND* z-axis.

Cantrips don't do as much damage as martials, but in my experience their turns to kill is at most one turn behind, except for powerful monsters where hold monster is more useful than a martial anyways.

Do you want a music video?

Combat only lasts 2-3 rounds. One turn is a serious delay

>hold monster is more useful than a martial anyways.

except you need a martial to bring that fucker down before the spell breaks.

I don't see why you can't translate Anima BF or PF into 5e, they even have the same fucking classes

>Cantrips don't do as much damage as martials
Unless you're a monk

Who else is a hopeful for tiny races in Volo's?

No. Casters have plenty of tools to extend combat by kiting.

Haha.

Technically any caster with an attack spell can do it too

>Not playing a War Cleric/Valor Bard/Moon Druid/Bladesinger

>No. Casters have plenty of tools to extend combat by kiting.
yeah, that's the goal, EXTEND combat.

Monks shouldn't be making only bare handed attacks at level one. Even then, the martial arts added attack puts them over the edge of a cantrip.

So, are those pictures a leak from Volo's guide? If so, can the kind user tell me if kobolds are statted as the PC race?

I never said it was good design. Quite the opposite actually.

I don't know if that's been confirmed, but I can't imagine them not being in it.

ehhh i can't really think of any critting attack spell that's going to match an autocritting fighter/barbarian.

maybe scorching ray, and that's only if you are within 5 ft.
War Cleric can only extra attack a few times per day
Moon druid is a good tank, but not great on dealing damage
Valor bard may be a contender if combat inspiration multiplies on a crit
bladesinger does far worse damage than most martials

You don't auto-crit unless you're in melee.

These were actually official releases as teasers, so we don't know yet if kobolds are confirmed or not. I certainly hope so. :)

>Valor bard may be a contender if combat inspiration multiplies on a crit
All damage die always multiple on a crit

Dire snail?

Valor bards are great. You can pick up swift quiver from ranger at level 10.

combat inspiration is worded a bit oddly, it says you roll the dice, then add it to your damage. I can see it going either way.

And since the target is paralyzed, popping into melee won't be a big problem for you

twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/776567281241382912

They're quasi-confirmed.

oh no doubt, but saying best class is great isn't really saying much.

>fights are normally only against one target
>hanging within 30ft of a melee combatant is good spellcaster positioning

Bards a best!

A crit spell attack is actually closer to matching a crit weapon attack because of all the die the spell attack gets to double. A weapon attack doesn't get to double it's modifier

unless he has friends, of course.

Flail Snail, actually.
Old D&D monster.

Is it not the same with maneuvers? You can add them after the initial hit

You're a caster, you got misty step/shield/mirror image/whatever else for when you need to wade into melee for a bit.

>A weapon attack doesn't get to double it's modifier
no one said it did, but weapon crits tend to be better due to the fact that there are several ways to mod a weapon crit like being a half orc or barbarian, or by being a fighter and doubling the amount of crits, or rogue sneak attacking, or paladin smiting (cmon, no one really considers them casters anyways), or ranger's...um...

When a monk can create a several kilometers earthquake capable of leveling a city with a single punch, at will, we'll talk.

That's really resource intensive for jumping into melee, where your full-action cantrip cast will still have to beat their AC. You don't have advantage vs. the target with your ranged cantrips either, since the advantage of the target being paralyzed is canceled out by your disadvantage of shooting of a ranged spell attack in melee.

ha! stupid casters, throwing away valuable spell slots just to imitate what the glorious martial race can do naturally!

Well, a level 5 Deep Stalker ranger can melee hit something 3 times in the first turn.

Jesus, does Wizards require every employee to include the ((())) Jewish thing on their social media profiles?

Collosus slayer/hunters mark

>include the ((())) Jewish thing
v-vagina?

> Be cleric
> Martials get magic weapons that massively improve their hit chances
> I'm forever stuck with my cantrips and spiritual weapon never hitting the target

Get a staff you dummy

What are some good save or suck spells for a diviniation wizard? They seem like they would work well with portent.
Only things I can think of off the top of my head are Banish and O's Resilient Sphere

Well Perkins is a very Jewish name, right up there with McCullough and Ishimura.

you probably shouldn't have dumped your casting stat. there's no other reason to not be hitting reasonably often.

Actually, it's about as powerful as a wood elf, high elf, or hill dwarf. While I hate it just as much as you, it's balanced.

Pixie elves!!!

Well what else are 1st/2nd lvl slots for? There's no good shit those levels except for those things

Is it the guy that made this that keeps reposting it in every fucking thread?

Low level monks use quarterstaves/spears twohanded and kick you in the nuts for 1d8+3+1d4 damage per turn.

It's even with fighters and a better crit fisher for pretty much the whole game.
Don't get me started on their survivability.

The only real drawback i see them having is low accessability to magic and not being able to boost their unarmed strikes via enchantments except that one HODTQ amulet.

>warlocks get a rod to boost DC saves and attack rolls
>Every other caster gets a wand to boost attack rolls
>Clerics only damage cantrip is a DC save

yes

Are you dumping your casting stat or just getting poor rolls? Also, there aren't really many items that give a significant bonus to hit, so is this high level playing or is your DM generous with his high tier magic items.

Of course it is!

>Don't get me started on their survivability.
Their non existent survivability you mean

Pretty much

As bad as they are, wot4e is so much fun. All it really needs is a one point reduction in ki costs for every discipline but one, and some access to higher level elemental spells and some more elemental cantrips.

The school club game I just joined has 2 evil characters in it, one of which is a "Drow Rogue with a dark past." There's also 10 total people in this.

This club apparently needs more DMs, but I'm already DMing for another campaign. Should I offer to run another game anyway? It would take up a bunch of my time, but it also provides a way to avoid the edgy people and run a campaign I've wanted to for a really long time.

it'd be 1000% better without the whole >"GIRLS ONLY CATGIRLS R PRECIOUS SOULS THAT LIVE FOREVER HUHUHU"

Their survivability of running circles arround you while you can't do shit to them.

Monks aren't bad.
Only one archetype is.
And that's because it's a clusterfuck design that doesn't blend its class features well (instead of a gish with fists it tries to be a full caster instead).

What they need is to fix the synergy and include things like cantrips for the class.

The remastered version out there is pretty good at doing just that.

>11th level
Something something games die before that

Is it mandatory for an arcane trickster to dip a level in wizard?

Something something only in bad groups?

>Their survivability of running circles arround you while you can't do shit to them.
Man, I want to know where do you get infinite ki to do that, and also FoB, or stunning fist, or other features depending on your archetype.

Also their d8 don't fucking help, I have to rise Dex, Wis and also Con or else my AC or HPs are shit.

The average group then, because, the average game doesn't last that long

it's a pretty damned more functional way to get a spell book than taking the ritual spell casting feat, I'll grant ya that.

And it doesn't burn an ASI. Taken well and early, it might be a great dip

Must suck to be average then.

STOP POSTING THIS

I've been tooling around with homebrew stuff and was looking at other games to crib from, and I noticed that some games use tokens that you build up through various actions. I was considering designing something that revolves around building up and using tokens to do various special actions, but I'm sure it would fit into the game with how short battles tend to be.

I'm also not sure if tokens are even fun to use, or if they're clunky trash and that's the reason only weird shit like Iron Heroes use them. Does anyone who play other games that use tokens find them fun?

Only if you want more/better cantrips and no limits to spell schools.
+ that neat familiar lets you SA all the time.

They get that +10 movement speed at lvl 2.
Darts are monk weapons.
Shooting them with an arrow just ends up with them firing it back at you.

Yes the class is MAD because you need to level 3 stats but it doesn't turn them into paper tigers.

I know that feel, I never went beyond 7th level in any iteration of DnD, even PF.

Would this be too much for a monk path's 3rd level feature?

Ki Archery
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you are trained in the integration of ranged weaponry to your martial arts. You gain the following benefits:
• You are proficient with longbows.
• Darts, longbows, and shortbows are considered monk weapons for you.
• When you make a ranged weapon attack, you can spend 1 ki point to add your wisdom modifier to the attack roll. You must make this choice before you roll.

No, not at all. That's perfectly fine actually.

is that a pokemon?

>Darts, longbows, and shortbows are considered monk weapons for you.
Literally for what purpose? so you deny the range of bows by moving into melee and use Martial Arts and FoB?

>Only if you want more/better cantrips and no limits to spell schools.

Uh
Yes, please

No, silly, to use Dex with them ;^)

Fuck you, Iron Heroes is awesome.

Aren't Darts already monk weapons?

For the monk damage die, I imagine. Occasionally being able to get off a punch after a shot isn't a terrible trick to have either.

Actually since you should be able to make the attacks in any order, an open hand monk should be able to knock away a target then unload ranged attacks into it.

English is not my first language so i'm having a hard time understanding the Short rest and Long rest mechanics, just bought the starter set.

Nah, it's getting funnier with every thread.
Not any more usable or balanced, but funnier.
Then again, I still enjoy asking why people wear masks, so I may just have too much patience for running gags.

So if you are pressed into melee range, you can use dexterity and the upgraded die size for your unarmed strikes, if you'd rather stand and fight than spend ki and a bonus action to disengage. Also so the damage die (eventually) increases with your ranged weapons.
Funny enough, even though they start with a pack of them, no. They're simple ranged weapons, not simple melee. So by default your thrown spears and daggers will benefit from Martial Arts, but darts won't.
Not only is Flurry of Blows taken 'Immediately after you take the Attack action', but while wielding a bow you wouldn't benefit from Martial Arts, meaning your unarmed strikes are made with strength and deal 1 damage.

A Short rest is when your party takes a break for an hour. It lets you spend Hit Dice (which use up when you spend them) to roll and therefore heal damage.

A Long rest is a full 8 hours of sleep and healthy rest, full stop. It recovers all of your health and recovers your Hit Dice without the need for random rolling.

>So if you are pressed into melee range
If you're in melee you fire with disadvantage

Thanks mate, so, me as a DM, have to include this time in the story as an event? or this time is real world time, like, we have to wait those 8 hours?