So, what's Veeky Forums's general consensus on Kaladesh as a whole? Does it look fun in limited...

So, what's Veeky Forums's general consensus on Kaladesh as a whole? Does it look fun in limited? Will we get any good cards from it for Constructed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hzCVe-HaOY4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I rate it poo/loo

Not as good as Neo-Innistrad, way better than Neo-Eldrazi
Will draft half a dozen times

I honestly have no fucking clue yet. Looking forward to drafting it a bit to try to get a sense of it.
It's pretty shit Constructed-wise, especially if we're talking anything other than Standard.

Draft looked okay, felt like it would be fast paced.

limited seems like it would be okay, vehicles seem rad as fuck. There are some cards that might reach back into older formats (like filigree familiar, Sahili, Chandra the mind scupltor). Standard is going to get some new overhauls, as always.

I dunno, seems fine

Flavor is all sorts of final fantasy cool shit.

Limited seems like it will be the most fun since Tarkir Block

still no r/u artifacts matter commander

standard will continue to be dominated by bant colors, with some hope for black but still none for red

gremlins look cute

indian ethnicity on pretty much all humans + gay legendary old lady rustles anti-sjw jimmies (or signals the downfall of wotw to the tidal wave of social justice, if you wanna look at it from that perspective)

trains

rashmi

another set that might as well not exist if you only play the older formats

expecting a 6/10 might get more than that

das it from me mane

The new black race is interesting

It looks great to me. I see so many cards that I'm really into in terms of rules or flavor. It feels like they dialed magic back a bit, because I really didn't enjoy the most recent set.

This is looking to be a high and fun pick in draft, what with all the graveyard and etb interactions.

literally my mom's ethereals

The art on the cards is not bad, but really generic. I like a lot of the art at first but once the full spoiler released, it's really hard being able to look at a card and identify it off art alone.

That said, limited was pretty fun. The general power level of the set seems conducive to a good limited. I gave up on competitive constructed a long time ago. Not a lot of cool commanders either though.

Looks like shit to me, I don't get all the fucking hype around it.

>fucking weak mechanics

Fabricate? Creatures entering the battlefield and putting counters on things, or making tokens isn't a fucking new thing. This is one of the sets 'mechanics.'

Energy isn't new, just having its own symbol is. Doesn't play well with other sets. Overall pretty weak imo.

Vehicles and crew? Yes I really want to tap down creatures on my board to turn an artifact into a creature for the turn.

Standard is shit and I avoid it because it's a total money pit, but this upcoming standard is going to be dog shit. Kaladesh and the return to zendikar sets are gonna make up 3/5 standard legal sets, and they're trash.

Masterpieces? ...Nothing but another money grab from Hasbro, if the game doesn't keep getting bigger and we don't see a player boom these cards will only hurt the game long term.

>Energy isn't new, just having its own symbol is.
where was it before?

Who the FUCK seriously cares about Limited?

the majority of people who play magic outside of pure kitchen table magic.

it's literally the second most important format

after kitchen table, that is

Experience counters, just a new flavor of them.

Umm, last time I checked you didn't get experience counters on half the cards in a set and you couldn't spend experience counters.

Like I said, different flavor. Or, more accurately, same deal, just a bit more complex.

This is like saying every counter is just the same shit different flavor of +1/+1 counters. What, can they never so counter mechanics now? Counters are just how to mechanical represent energy.

>You can spend experience counters to do things
That's news to me, which cards let you do that?

My only real beef is they didn't just make them elementals. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter but it just strikes me as dumb they made an awkward new creature type.

and delve, and delirium were just another type of threshold. WotC should give up on graveyard matters mechanics, because that's tapped out.

same anything about artifacts, creature, enchantments, or lands mattering. Did those mechanics.

Is there any sort of card that cares about the Aetherborn typing yet?

Well, you'd be right. We had a +1/+1 counters matter mechanic in the Khans block...it's all thelse same chicken, the spice is the only thin that's different.

After 20+ years, you run out of stuff, it's okay.

I don't think so, and somehow I doubt there ever will be.

They could have gone in Black/Red elementals, but no.

Looks less complicated than EMN-EMN-INN but way deeper than what came before. I like how all the colors interact through energy, ETB, flicker, counters and all that. Makes you really feel like the combinations are endless. I can't even tell what will work in Limited. But a lot the complexity seems to be hidden in the multiple uses of tons of cards.

Boring as fuck, only a bunch of cards are interesting.

Another "magical realm" interpretation of Middle East themes. Mirage got it right.

Vehicle cards could be interesting, as long as they don't consist of full on sci-fi shit like you'd see in a Japanese video game. Oh, wait...

>Middle East

user come on.

Now this is podracing

>Vehicles and crew? Yes I really want to tap down creatures on my board to turn an artifact into a creature for the turn.
This. Crew is anti-game.
You tap down creatures, which let you have blocking options and force more complex decisions from the opponent into...taping 1-3 creatures to pilot 1 vehicle that does the damage of...1-3 creatures. And vehicles all seem to be costed just below curve of their damage so it's still far better to just pick the creatures that are on curve themselves.

This is what I think as well. Most vehicles look too good to be true but in reality will only work when you have high synergy like pilots, artifact lords or that 1/1 B drainer.

>middle east
????????????????????????????

You've got creatures on the ground? Okay, let this 1/1 useless thing jump in a Smuggler's Copter.

Black looks like a lot of fun for standard, except there's no replacement for languish so it's basically tethered to white/green as a splash color for now.

Wow, you just pointed out the 1 out of 3 ( if that ) decent vehicles as evidence vehicles are good.

No but seriously vehicles must be at least decent in limited but I'm having a hard time seeing how. I'm sure R&D isn't that incompetent, they've been good about balancing limited so far.

Panharmonicon plus that new Demon is languish on a stick but that's still a 6 mana play.

Bullshit. Poo is not within the subset of loo

I want the good artists to come back.
I want strong mechanics.
I want eternal playables.
I want them to cater to Limited over Standard.
I want good enough cards at non-mythic rarity for drafting to be worthwhile.
I want WotC to stop being jews.

It will probably get a 0/10 like every other new magic set.

>Middle East
It's south-Asian though

all darkie countries are the same

at least there are toilets in the middle-east

>I want them to cater to Limited over Standard.
They already do that

>I want good enough cards at non-mythic rarity for drafting to be worthwhile
Same, but every time something is good-enough they print it at uncommon, which means there's still a level of luck needed to get a copy of it as opposed to seeing multiple copies of Take Inventory in a single draft.

Good artists like who?

youtube.com/watch?v=hzCVe-HaOY4

does blue really look THIS bad?
i think it should be valued along artifacts or colors it can support.

i think it looks reaaally slow ( let me bounce my permanents and spend 18 mana to get their ETB effects back!) and lacks a way to use the millions of energy it is producing.

what do you think?

To be fair no plane has ever had access to the aether on this level before. Elementals are the result of colored mana, but aether is pure untyped energy, the manifestation of mana without a color identity. This could be the natural result of what an elemental could be if worlds didn't convert aether to colored mana.

Those poor birds.

Don't worry he's just making birds of paradise.

KEK

95% of the cards in a set are for limited, can you say the same for standard?

>I want good artists to come back
Therese Nielson is still doing art
>I want strong mechanics
We literally just went through Delve shaking up every format
>I want eternal playables
I guess Ruse Cruise, DRS, Stoneforge, Reality Smasher, Mimic, Reshaper, Thought-Knot,
>I want them to cater to Limited over Standard
I'm really not sure what the fuck you are smoking, Return to Innistrad was incredible for limited
>I want good enough cards at non-mythic rarity for drafting to be worthwhile
Fucking Gurmag Angler is played occasionally in legacy, again, what are you smoking?
>I want WotC to stop being jews
You're gonna have to be more specific

>it will probably get a 0/10 like every other new magic set
stay salty faggot, don't forget to git gud

the super duper mythics have really ugly borders and the fact that they're super duper mythics bothers me about as much as the expeditions and mythics in general did

otherwise it'll probably be playable, if more fun in draft (because everything is more fun in draft)

Blue in Kaladesh reminds me of Blue in m14, very slow and all about getting small advantages that build up over a long game. The thing was that every creature in m14 was terrible (and I do mean every creature) that games would last forever and you would pack your deck with as many divination as you could get for that sweet card advantage.

If aggro is similarly week in Kaladesh, than having that "etb draw a card" guy, a draw 3 at common, the energy scary guy and the energy tapper could be decently strong. I'm on the fence about aggro in Kaladesh, I think it may be too dependant on artifact 2 drops (Eager Construct, Narmam Cobra, sky skiff) which can go in any colour and will have to be fought over more.

This card is just awful right?

Even in an artifact-themed plane in an aggressive BR artifact limited deck, I don't think I would include it.

I suspect it's playable in limited though not a card to pick particularly highly, but I'm no expert.

It's D-tier 'pick it if there genuinely isn't anything better' stuff.

>I want the good artists to come back
Seb Mckinnon, Terese Nielsen, Svetlin Velinov, John Avon, Slawomir Maniak, Nils Hamm and Wayne Reynolds still make art at magic.

i would say it is ok if you have plenty of creatures and many token makers.

but definitely a very low priority pick, will always be found in the last 5 picks.

I hate it.

What is the new black race?

Aetherborn.

On that topic, what sets them apart from other short-lived elementals to omit the creature type? Is this another naga/not-a-snake thing?

Regardless of flavour being good or bad, Kaladesh has the highest frequency of playable commons and uncommons in a long time. On top of that, most of the rares / mythics are utility which is a nice change of pace.

It has yet to be seen if the power level is as high as it first appears. It could just be perception coming off of two lower-powered blocks (so any creep upward is apparent), but some of the cards look like they are genuinely good.

It looks to be a low impact set for non-standard, but that's fine. Most cards that make it in Modern are mistakes of design or ones that fill a very specific niche.

what's their deal?

I don't know if I should keep drafting Eldritch Moon or save up money to draft Kaladesh, to be honest.

>save up money to draft Kaladesh
they cost the same to draft????

Yeah, I guess what I'm asking myself is if I should draft Eldritch Moon now or wait up so I can draft more Kaladesh later.

Designated Shitting Street
Land
Tap a Kaladesh creature you control: Put a poo counter on Designated Shitting Street.
T, Remove X poo counters from Designated Shitting Street: Add X to your mana POOl.

>but it just strikes me as dumb they made an awkward new creature type.
Surrakar, Naga, Servo, Hippogriff (not Griffin Horse), Vedalken, Moonfolk, Werewolf (instead of Human Wolf, which now means every new were creature needs its own creature type, you can't just have one-off Human Bear, etc)

Counterspells in limited are absurdly weak (mana leak that doesn't hit artifacts and only charges a tax of 2), removal is either energy dependent or terrible, and fabricate + crew makes me feel like limited is going to have a lot of stalled out, cluttered boardstates. I'm not really a fan of that in limited so I'm strongly considering giving this format a miss until I see some high level play or something that shows me that it's actually not what I'm anticipating it to be at all.

Should I just put buy newlamogs since they are cheap now? Or it will be shit post rotation?

Real talk though, Escalate is just another Kicker, just like split cards, Fuse cards, Commands and Confluences. Magic has like a dozen fucking different abilities that all boil down to "pay an additional cost to get an additional effect".

Yeah, you cant do shit with them if they play mythic Mechaboys

Why the fuck would you buy newlamogs?

>Counterspells are absurdly weak
>There's a 1 CMC that counters artifacts and an unconditional counter with loot at common

>removal is energy dependent or terrible
>all the energy based removal gives you as much damage/-1/-1 equal to CMC and scales up with other energy generators
>We have unconditional black removal at instant speed in common, red artifact removal, burn capable of killing creatures, multiple naturalize effects, and Nature's Way

>Fabricate+crew feels like limited is going to have stalled out, cluttered boardstates
>There's a goddamn 5/3 trampling attacker with crew 2 for 3 CMC, a 6/1 trample haste, a 5/3 trample, 10/7 that can't be chump blocked, 6/6 that pings on attack, and 8/6 menace, and 6/5 flyer that bolts on attack

do you not play Magic or form an opinion based on 3 cards?

I don't understand how people can think limited will be alright, there are 5cmc 8/6 with trample and virtually no instant speed removal for them.

Escalate is entwine. It has little to do with Kicker and nothing to do with the command cycle.

Entwine is yet another version of Kicker.

X in the mana cost is the original Kicker. Every ability that makes more things happen if you pay more mana is just a variant of the X in Fireball.

And/or the Y in best Fireball.

What do you think the Masterpieces will be for Amonkhet?

If Shadows over Innistrad had had Masterpieces, which cards would you have selected for them, from SOI and from older sets? Some ROE Eldrazi could have been EMN Masterpieces...

X is multikicker. Or rather, multikicker is Y.

Looks like a total blast to play. Really like the art direction on most of the cards. Looking forward to both limited and standard this block.

I'm positive and negative on energy counters. It could be good. I'm a bit stumped that they didn't make Energy dices for the prerelease packages. Come on.

Don't feed the retard (you)s

>these are colorless elementals, therefore they should have their own creature type. also they happen to cost colored mana
dude.

>eternal playables
Banned cards aren't playable, user. Also I assume the user by playable meant "spells that aren't just hypereffective creatures for aggro decks". Also KTK block was, what, two and a half years ago? Nigga please.
Battle for Zendikar limited was nice. SOI limited was nice. Everything went to shit when they released the second set of the blocks, because the two sets had so different mechanics and play style that they played horribly together. Drafting the third pack of OGW/OGW/BFZ and EDM/EDM/SOI always felt horrible.

They're not even close to elementals. Elementals are, predictably, the element in question manifested as a being, like a fire elemental being made of flames, or a plant elemental being made of flora. These aetherborn are created by the aether refinement process. They're not even fully made of aether, they're an byproduct, waste, dregs of unused or unusable aether coalesced into form.

They're comparable to aether elementals in the same vein that living shit is comparable to a food elemental.

Cerimonious Rejection is a constructed card. It doesn't look to be doing enough in limited to be played maindeck. Would you play plummet or annul in the maindeck? Annul at least had the decency to be a common.

>burn capable of killing creatures
Wow that's super good. Now show me some that's mana efficient. Welding Sparks is literally the only good one at common and a not insignificant portion of the uncommon burn is trash as well.

>5/3 trample, a 6/5 that bolts on attack
Yeah, those rares and mythics sure are good ways to judge a limited environment.

And keeping your 4 power guys alive in order to crew these creatures just to watch them get hit by the plethora of "red artifact removal/multiple naturalize effects" you pointed out doesn't generate cluttered board states how user?

Removal in the set is garbage. Core sets generally had better options and all your shilling and theorycrafting doesn't change that.

Has anyone else commented on how fucking good the lands look?

>those swamps

I spent a couple of hours with the Sealed generator to practice for the Prerelease: it looks SUPER fucking fun for Sealed, and that's not something you see much.

>I want eternal playables
Eternal is such a strict and fragile balance that an 8 mana ancestral recall had to be banned. The line between "obscure sideboard tech" and "had to be banned" is paper thin.

Yes I think my erection for that center Island has been stated

Mostly good, but hate the swamps. I don't want a field at evening or a sewer tunnel on a card that says "SWAMP" on it. I want the image to be of a swamp.

I just hope it's politically correct.

whatever you say retard

There's a hundred thousand grimy fucking swamp artworks. Did you get upset over the bowl Island from Zendikar too?

What kind of limited decks want Mind Rot?

Aggro, midrange, or control?

I would probably play it in BR.

What do you mean? All Magic sets are politically correct now.