Decide to start up a GURPS cyberpunk game for my current group

>Decide to start up a GURPS cyberpunk game for my current group
>Players create some pretty neat characters
>One guy creates a character with a few levels in Multimillionaire, basically filthy rich
>The way he built it looks pretty cool, no real skills of his own, he uses expensive brain chips instead

Thing is I'm having trouble justifying his character being a part of the group. I can't really think of any way to include his character without him being the center of the adventure. Any real problem that comes their way, he can buy his way out of. And thanks to the vasts amount of funds at his fingertips, the group really won't have much in the way of motivation other than working for his character.

Should I make him reroll his character, or is there a good way of making this work?

Honestly I can't think of any way to make an actually balanced game without either taking all his money away, which would be a dick move.

It'd probably be better if he altered the character somewhat, perhaps by making him rich but not ultra-rich. He's in charge of a successful company, but the company just lost (or is about to lose) a ridiculous amount of capital on a failed research project. So he's in desperate need of [whatever] so that he doesn't end up living off the streets.

Basically, turn it around and make it so that he has to work with the group in order to maintain his status and his lifestyle.

Yeah, I've had a similar problem in D&D games. After a character achieves high amounts of power/wealth, finding appropriate challenges can be difficult.

The trick is to stop thinking of the adventure format as: Players find an obstacle, Players remove obstacle. Instead, make the adventures about the choices they make. Do they want to save the city or kill the dragon. Do they want to back one politician or another? Can they try to play both sides or find another route all together?

I've gotten push back from some players for these kinds of adventures. Some players will be upset they can't have it all, they expect to be able to solve all problems and not have to make "tough calls". So mix it up. Sure his billions can make defeating an enemy army easy, but that doesn't mean you can't periodically have that type of adventure. The players are generally meant to win, after all.

also, MYSTERIES. Wealth can aid in solving a mystery, but it doesnt replace the need to investigate, to deduce, to figure out "whodunit".

Before you nerf him or tell him to make something else, let him play the character as is. You might be surprised that it isn't such a big problem after all.

why not just rob him and make him track down the people that stole it? and then make him follow the money?

when investigators track down drug money, it leads to interesting places.

for inspiration, look to The Wire, an HBO TV show. it's boring the first few episodes but picks up speed.

>'Those Filthy Rich or greater have better things to do than rob banks/ explore space/ do spy shit etc.'
It's how Dungeon Fantasy deals with it. You could ask if it would be alright to work the character into the world if they've been well made and defined, no need to let their effort go to waste.

I have two thoughts:

1. His wealth isn't exactly liquid (maybe he owns an island in the Caribbeans?) and this is a way for him to get more useful assets.

2. There's a personal goal he needs that his name can't be attached to through his money. No idea exactly what that'd mean, but in a cyberpunk future I'm sure you could make it a problem.

This might a good idea if all else fails.

He has independent income 20, the only real drain on his funds is that literally everything his character does, has to be done in the most ludicrously overprices fashion possible. His character is a James Bond fanboy. He bought a Walther P99 That is almost worth 2mil. He buys top tier suits every week, and is working on having a bond car's wet dream.

One thing about his character is that he suffers from a pretty bad skin eating disease, and flesh is slowly being made artificial. His sister suffers from a much more advanced version of this, and a lot of his funds are going towards keeping her alive until he can fund a cure.

I've been toying with the idea of using that as a plot device, a corporation or government that has/working on a cure, but won't make it public for whatever reason. Maybe it's the result of a top secret weapon and they're holding onto the cure in case it gets loose.

My biggest problem so far is including the others in the adventure. I don't have a huge problem with his character being rich. As it is, it just feels like anything the group does is because it's in Richkid's interests, and everyone else is just along for the ride.

That's like saying that the big megacorps in cyberpunk have no conflicts because they dont need anything.

He's rich? Give him enemies and rivals who are equally rich. Or have him be the target of revolutionaries who envy his wealth because they're poor. Or megacorps that are richer.

Or, the natural predators of the rich: the politically powerful. Have them be after his wealth or jealous or trying to scapegoat him. Usually, power trumps money, despite what people claim.

Basically, he's the Johnson, with all the rivalries, threats, and problems that that implies.

Talk to your group about it and see if you could make it work. There have been campaigns where one person had the motivation while the others had their own reasons for being in the group, usually money.

But talk to the group, they might be able to get some stuff together based on character ideas and come up with cool ideas. There are other people involved and you're basing part of it on how it would affect them, so talk to them about it.

That functionally makes him the center of the campaign, though. Which is exactly what OP is trying to avoid.

The question here is not "how do I deal with a super-rich player" but "how do I integrate a super-rich player into a campaign full of poorfags."

Compulsive behaviour (Thrill-seeker) CR6. Monster Hunter 1 for details.

He's slumming it. It's functionally a game to him, a high risk diversion for the terminally bored leisure class. He won't use his wealth to solve a problem unless it's unavoidable as to do so makes things uninteresting.

He thinks he's the Johnson. He's completely out of his depth and using expensive gadgets to compensate for a lack of any practical knowledge. He'll spend a millions dollars for a solution a real Johnson could have with three phone calls and a favor. He's just another gun, albeit a really fancy one.

there are things that money can't buy. maybe he's an adrenaline junkie. maybe his daughter is missing and he's trying to find her, and the only way he can do that is by getting connected with the underworld. maybe he's having a midlife crisis.

i think you do have to somewhat build the campaign around him, but he doesn't need to be the focus

>why not just rob him

do not do this

this is like letting someone make a swordsman character in d&d and then cutting off his arms in the first session

>this is like letting someone make a swordsman character in d&d and then cutting off his arms in the first session

more like a swordsman losing his sword.

which is not an awful handicap. that wasn't the only sword, and there are always ways to make money. and maybe you can even get the sword/money back, which would be an adventure all in itself.

> He won't use his wealth to solve a problem unless it's unavoidable as to do so makes things uninteresting.

If so what's the point of wasting 120 points on something he won't use. Might as well make a new character at that point.

>He has independent income 20
Ok this is starting to feel OP, I don't think it will work out but I could be wrong. As I see it he's min maxed for spending money and will get more in than he spends most months taking away one problem that the group might otherwise face (making rent). Does he have a reason why he hangs out with the rest of the group? If he can't justify that you need to rethink this.
Hope it all works out for you and I'm wrong, have fun.

Really I'd ignore Veeky Forums for now and ask the player what he's wanting to get out of his character. The player made his dude a millionaire for a reason, so he must have had some idea in mind.

Considering that you seem pretty receptive about it, I think you two could probably hash something out.

Simple, make the first adventure the one that introduces the villian, the guy who destroys the multimillionaires orginisation, in every way, FBI investagation/frozen assets, corporate takeovers, tax fraud/evasion/lawyer-account screwjob, lawsuits from bogus (or real) mothers claiming he's the father and owes back payments for child support, whatever you can think of, the villian uses to completely ruin and steal the wealth of your players character. Make him 'earn' it back. If he can before the bad guy spends it all in his plot to 'insert plot here'

I'm probably gonna talk to him about what we can do about his character to make it mesh well with the rest of the party. I don't like telling my players no, because that's no fun. I think I'll just have to think of some challenges that can't be solved with money, or at least, are hard to solve even with money. Kind of Johnny Marcone or something.

That's a terrible idea. His character would be beyond gimped compared to the rest of the party.

Just make some sort of a political organization that has valuable stuff in it, but does not deal with outsiders because it has its own independent funds and only with its own members who have proven loyalty and so on.

Or have some sort of government basically taking all of his money and now he can only use a very limited funds to stay under radar, just enough to be useful in the group but not enough to be overpowered.

So 2 things really: either have money independent people or some governments nightmarish enough to limit him into a player character.

Or have an even richer guy show up and fuck him up ayy lmao style just because. Might makes right and all that.