First time playing DnD 5e. Could you guys give me rate/give advice on my tiefling bard?

First time playing DnD 5e. Could you guys give me rate/give advice on my tiefling bard?

"My character was born of a priest falling victim to a succubus. The townsfolk found out that the priest had a demon child so the priest fled with the child. On the road out of town he was ambushed and left to die. The next day a farmer from another town on the road to market came across the bloody scene and found my character under the body of my father. The farmer took pity and raised my character as his own in secret. Years pass, my character's only entertainment is learning the lyre-guitar and listening to the stories told by his father of great warriors and heroes. One day a small child stumbles into the farm while playing and sees my character. That night the village assembles a mob, killing the farmer and burning the farm. My character escapes into the woods with his life and his lyre, and spends his days moving from town to town, playing his songs and never staying too long in one place in case the town decides yet again he is better off not breathing."

That's not how tieflins in 5e work, they're not direct spawns of demons, specially not the PHB ones who are descendants of humans who made pacts with demons eons ago an now they all look like that.

Too edgy. 5e tieflings are more like "I'm secretly following you because I suspect you're up to no good" than "ALL WHO TOUCH YOU MUST BE SLAUGHTERED."

This is my character sheet so far but I'm not sure what to put on it

I don't want to be a boring Edgelord on my first run, what would spice it up a bit?

I figured making the tiefling a bard would be cool so it doesn't end up being a power fantasy character

... I'd have the priest already be a tiefling.

That way your character represents blood war resolution.

>All that equipment
>Str 6
hehe

Also, Tieflings aren't persecuted in 5e lore, they're treated harshly, but they're hunted down because they aren't descendants of demons/devils, specially not the one you're using.

And this is why I posted in Veeky Forums. My DM is a D&D veteran and I don't want to walk in with generic edgelord fanfiction garbage

Also, i'm just starting with the equipment that the book says I start with

Bard are actually pretty powerful in 5e, though I get what you're going for.

Get rid of the slaughtering the farmer part. I can understand why it'd be bad for a priest to have a tiefling son (though more in a "you're excommunicated!" way than a "let's kill you!" way), but a village coming together to kill a farmer for the sin of adopting an orphaned child? There's no reason the tiefling couldn't have lead a reasonably happy (though still mistrusted and shunned) life with his adoptive family.

Though something did just occur to me--how did they know the priest was his father? If it was incubus + mother, then sure, but did the succubus just kinda hang around until the child was born, then tell everyone "hey, and this guy's the father!" and they all took it at face value while she stuck him with the child and gaily skipped away?

They aren't hunted down*

The reason I wanted to make him the son of a farmer is because I thought him carrying a pitchfork would be cool

Your handwriting is kawaii

>orphaned twice over
PCs who have lost only one family are stereotypical enough. It also doesn't give the DM a whole lot to do with your background, since everyone you care about is dead and you're left with nothing but a boring persecution complex.

Also, tieflings aren't half-fiends, they're totally different.

Being the son of a farmer is fine. That's not the part I'm protesting. I have a problem with the farmer being killed by an angry mob for adopting a tiefling. That's just too edgy.

And kinda cliched, for that matter. Maybe his adoptive dad's still around. Maybe pop's been nagging him to get out and make some grandkids. Or heck, even just "he was old, and he passed away in his sleep shortly before I left on my journey" is better.

t-thanks?

Alright cut the farmer out, the pitchfork was just a gimmick

What about if he worked in a church?

I still want burned home though

No matter whether you choose the Folk Hero or Entertainer background, it means that there is a pretty broad class of people who like you and give you free shelter. If you wanted to play a tiefling for the joy of being persecuted, maybe say that you're from a fiefdom where a lot of the common folk are tieflings. The local lords have always tolerated it because their labor was valuable, but recently a religious extremist has taken power who's been driving all the fiend-blooded out with pogroms. That gives you specific friends and a specific enemy rather than just "b'aww everyone hates me"

Ok cool. I do want to be persecuted

What if I chose criminal or hermit

Tieflings have ancestry way further back than that.

What you're describing is a cambion.

Not sure if anyone is still here but I remade my story.

Nostos was the son of a noble house of Tieflings -the Algians. Though small, the Algian family held a reputation for their cunning and persuasion. They also were not afraid to use less than honorable means if need be. The alleyway was visited almost as often as the throne room. When Nostos' father heard whispers of a man with an lyre that could charm even the coldest of hearts he jumped at the opportunity. However, the lyre's curse soon took its toll. Through a series of unfortunate events the Algian house's corruption was exposed and all of their wealth and reputation were lost.

Nostos left the city with the lyre with the hope of removing the curse and restoring his family's honor.

I like it.

Might want to talk with the DM for how he wants to handle the plot coupon of the lyre, as well as it's actual powers.

Thats sounding way more awesome. Also trying to achieve something is much more fun than just running away. Gives you much needed drive and usually helps you make common cause with other adventurers. Also you're a bard, be charming and enthusiastic rather than brooding. Its way more fun to play.

Don't be that guy who lost everyone and is out for revenge.
Everyone is that guy.
If you want to be original have a ton of people that love you/hate you still around so the DM can draw from that pool of npcs to make the game more personal for you and the party.

Just noticed your redesign. Much better.

>tiefling bard

Stopped reading there.

>generic edgelord fanfiction garbage

OP literally everything in your first post is done to death this.

>ambush
>succubus
>left to die
>dead parents
>more familyesques killed
>raised innawoods
>on the run

Please fucking tell me this is a joke?

You were intentionally trying to make the most generic shitty stereotypical edgelord half angel half demon right with history that exceeds your character's level right?

What level is your character?