Worst trading experiences thread

We've all had them, the times that people have been a complete prick when trying to trade cards from you, so let's have a thread about it.

Any type of trading (TCGs, Miniatures, etc.) welcome.

Tell us your stories of how you were sharked, undercut, insulted, or just generally had a really bad time trading/selling with someone.

Had a lovely one today.

>Put my trades up on a MTG Trading Facebook page I've been using for the last 6 months
>Have had 99% good experiences with it, most people are friendly, do their research, and try to meet in the middle as far as travelling to meet up
>One guy who is notorious for foiling out his Jund deck PM's me wanting my Foil Collective Brutality and Grim Flayer
>Have heard and witnessed a couple of storied about this guy, but I figure he'd know what he's talking about because he has a foiled out Jund deck and would know about the recent play with both of these cards
>Say I'll meet him at a legacy tournament at a LGS, he says great because he lives close to there
>I drive 20 minutes to the meet up point, message him that I'll be there in 5, he's happy, all good so far
>I get there, sit down and talk to my mate who's playing the tournament
>10 minutes later he gets there, just drops his folder in front of me, no words or anything
>Looking through the folder, this guy is loaded, tons of foil Modern Staples, thousands of bucks worth of cards
>I pull out the cards he wants, and say that I need Blackcleave cliffs to finish off my own Jund deck
>I tell him that Brutality is $15 sold out and Flayer is $35 sold out on SCG, and that TCGplayer and other sites are a bit more

>Halfway through telling him we'll just use the lower price because I don't care much for foils when he flips out, saying it costs too much
>Says that he checked SCG LAST NIGHT and that brutalities were $7 tops (a blatant lie), and just gets up and leaves, shouting that I'm wasting his time
>Goes over to one of his "friends" and starts loudly talking shit about me, saying that the prices will drop and it's not nearly worth that much
>mfw I drove 20 minutes and he drove 5 tops, did no research, and just completely insulted me
>I sit down and watch my buddy for a while, fuming, and then leave

I don't normally go to that area to play, but if I'm ever there for a tournament and I see him again, I swear there'll be problems.

>RTR prerelease, I've only been playing since M13 so I'm super casual and have no idea what I'm doing
>decide to start trading shit because I really want a Rakdos
>find a guy who pulled one and he's down to trade it
>looks through my shit
>I had a Liliana of the Veil I wasn't using
>he says he'd trade the Rakdos for it
>I say yes
>Yay, Rakdos
>Liliana of the Veil ends up worth more than fucking JTMS
>Rakdos is $2.50
Once I figured out what happened I was salty as fuck.

What, was rakdos $2.50 then? You traded a planeswalker card for a $2.50 card?

>Prerelease
Rakdos must have been at 20-25 same as lily at that time. Lily went up after RTR pro tour after the banning of eggs left Jund as the top dog in modern. ust think about it DRS, BBE and lily in the same deck.

When I was a kid I'd just trade away whatever I opened in packs for whatever because I didn't know singles even had prices.
I also had godlike luck. I think I opened a foil Jitte in my first pack of Betrayers and traded it away for junk I can't even remember.

I also bought a pack of Nemesis around that time because it was the oldest set they had in stock and I was curious what was in there. Some older guys saw it and had an exchange like "Well there is nothing good in that set." "Not true, I bet he is going to open a foil Tangle Wire." I then proceed to open a foil Tangle Wire and trade it to the guy for almost nothing. Was still happy.

I don't understand how anyone could rip booster packs and trade without knowing the value of the cards.

As soon as I was past my first draft, I knew that I'd have to look up every card before I traded it.

Why not just show from your phone?
Or was the place in area that had no kinds of network to tap into?

>Time spiral comes out
>Going into store and buy one booster pack just to see what cards in there
>Rare card is ancestrall recall
>Being new to the game, and not playing blue asking the counter guy if he trades the card for another booster pack
>He says ok and that doesnt have the prices for the new cards yet
>Mfw they selling it for 30 euros 2 days later

It was a different time back then.

He had already blown up and stormed off by that point, I was sitting there in stunned silence just wondering how someone who had invested so much money into this game could be so caustic, and frankly, stupid.

Not exactly trading but still
>playing the weekly local duel masters tournament
>win final round due to topdecking in the last possible second
>guy gets butthurt
>My heart hadn't hardened to bullshit like that yet so I offer to share one of the boosters with him
>he draws one of the at the time best and rarest cards in the game

it still hurts

I have a reverse story that'll make you feel better

>Trading with a relatively new player
>I need his Liliana, the Last Hope
>He wants my Emrakul and my 2 Thought-Knot Seers
>Doesn't want anything else from my binder to make up the other $15 in value
>I implore him to take something for value
>He doesn't want anything because he only needs one more Emrakul for his Standard deck and just says don't worry about it.
>Thank him and tell him I'll try and find an Emrakul for him when I'm trading in the next week so he can have it for next week's FNM
>Go and finish my Standard match
>Get my prize packs, and give him two of them
>He pulls a FOIL EMRAKUL from one of them and is so happy
>I pull the second Lili I need from my last prize pack
>Everyone went home super happy

It's not always the assholes that pull well

Those guys were assholes for stumping you on those trades. People treating kids like that on trades is absolute dogshit behaviour, it's like playground shit with pokemon cards.

>could be so caustic, and frankly, stupid.
correction
>could be so caustic and, frankly, stupid.

Good grammar's important missy.

Not trading, but saltiest I have ever been in a game.
Played in Innistrad draft. Opening rare was weird ass Ghoultree, passed the fuck out it.
Ended up with some wu flying garbage.
Match 1 played against an 8 year old girl.
Not a douche, try to be friendly.
"Nice to meet you, my name is *****"
She introduces herself as Sally.
Game 1 runs long. She had the Ghoultree and it was kicking the shit out of me.
Judge calls 25 minutes left in the round, decide I need to win or lose this game quickly for g2.
Swing and block poorly. Die soon, whatever.
G2 starts, Sally says she has to use the bathroom. Okay, whatever.
Waiting
20 minutes in the round
Still waiting
15 minutes left.
Still fucking waiting.
10 minutes left. Curious if she fell and drowned in the toilet.
Alas she returned. Try to play fast.
Doesn't matter go to time in a stalled board.
Kinda mad, but oh well.
She says something like Nice to meet you
Respond "Nice to meet you too Sally"
She corrects me "No, I said nice beating you"
I died on the inside the day.

Southern Ontario, right OP? That guy is actually a close friend of mine buy he can be a complete nugget about trades. You can probably see how he got those binders so full

should've pulled her up for time wasting.

Gaia's Cradle for Fangoren Firstborn :(

No actually, but it's funny that everyone knows that sort of person haha.

This guy is a prick about EVERYTHING, not just trades apparently, apparently he gets salty as fuck when he loses a game and is loud and arrogant whenever anyone questions his decklist.

not trading Story but regards drafting experience
be at lgs
be W my cousins that asked me to come for a draft after wantin to get back in magic after some time
at lgs there is this bro guy that is kinda a fuckin luck magnet
drafting conspiracy 2
First booster round nothing incredibile
be about to open second nostre
lucky bro (that wasnt playin) ends up at my back dating
come on X show me that good daretti in there
open up booster
fuckin daretti for real
end round
cousins be like 'damn drafted no value, come bring us some luck (to luckbro)'
he goes watchin One of cousins opening third booster
luckbro says 'waddup, you want a daretti too?'
mfw cousins opens booster and pulls out another daretti
never fuckin doubt luckbro
handin me boosters W lilianas and nahiris
he strike again for 2x right calls on darettis

>ancestral recall
>banned in every format
for what purpose do people buy this card

That's Ancestral Visions, it's basically Recall but with Suspend 3, so you get your cards 3 turns after you cast it.

It's pretty fair and just got unbanned in modern, great turn 1 play for control decks.

>Gaia's Cradle
Even in primary school playing magic I didnt make mistakes like this

>get timewarp
>kid wants to trade drakes for it
>eat shit jason you never beat me

just got unbanned in modern

Not trading but I blame this faggot for my shitty night.

>Eternal masters draft
>We all open our first pack
>Guy right next to me and who would pass to me looks down gets up and immediately leaves
>Find out later he opened a foil Jace and a mana crypt in the same pack
>He didn't want to pass either so he just left
>Fucked up the pods because he left
>Get placed in the pod of the super good / try hard players because they lost him
>First guy I beat on pure luck. He played a hondons.dec and it would of utterly trashed my aggro deck
>Never stopped bitching
>Next guy get red in the face angry since I have a lot of removal and just remove his shit and swing with cacodemons
>At one point jumps up from his seat and yells "JESUS FUCKING SHIT THIS FAGGOT TOOK ALL THE REMOVAL HOW THE FUCK IS THIS EVEN FAIR"
>Next guy is playing literally my deck but was lucky enough to get all the right pulls I should of got and wipes me no problem
>Has this bored amused smirk on his face the whole time
>Come in fourth because of the stupid point thing wizards does that weights the wins and losses of different match ups so I dont even get any prize packs
>Guy who left wasn't even reprimanded by the store so now I know that any draft where someone pulls a great pack they will just fuck off

Why would they reprimand a player for pulling value?

Reprimand him for just taking his packs and leaving. You pay to play not to get pulls. He left one pod a pod of three where there was a by for some poor guy every round.

He's well within his rights to leave whenever he needs to, once he signs up for the draft, the packs are his property.

Most stores will allow you to buy another pack to replace the one with the fucking stupid value in it, it's not TECHNICALLY allowed by Wizards, but it'll stop feelbad moments like this. We do it at our weekday drafts, but not FNM, but at FNM, they offer to let you drop and transfer over to standard/modern if you want.

And don't try and go with the "BOO HOO WE HAVE A BYE" excuse. It's a free win, and unless the store is literally empty other than the draft, you can just go and jam a game or two with some other people while you wait.

Or, you know, just watch the games for 50 minutes and enjoy the fact you're more likely to get prize packs.

Store is empty. I just moved up here from down south and there is fucking nothing. Outside of the individual event they do there is just nothing. I'm used to stores with 200ish people at any given moment.

I didn't know about the buying another pack thing. That's what should of happened.

Also dont they bye whoever is in last place in that pod?

That's just a problem with a person, not with the game, it would be the same if it was Yu Gi Oh, Dungeons and Dragons, or fucking Ping Pong.

>You pay to play not to get pulls

No, you pay for the booster packs; the store provides a service of running a draft event.

Dropping for value is 100% acceptable. Did you expect the guy to throw away $50 to play a handful of games?

Holy Fuck dude I feel you deeply, Magic is a money pit with horrible people in it more often than not.

>open my 3rd pack, i am like 10 year old or some shit
>fucking Memnarch! sounds fun, but clunky and mana expensive
>have no idea how to judge cards, i have no idea what rarities are
>after one hour of bargaining my cousin convinces me to trade it for this" extremely powerful flier" with "gigantic mana cost reduction"
>mfw later that day i read the flavor text at home

Yes. I believe you should be banned from the store if you sign up for the draft but leave to keep you packs.

We do pods of 8 which mitigates the issues, pods of 4 sounds really weird. Lessens the impact of byes, because you'll only get it randomly in the first round, and then if you have a shit record anyway in subsequent rounds, so the grinders don't really get bothered.

Also our store has a real bro team of employees who all play Magic and are all requested to have decks with them at all times (my girlfriend who I started dating when she started working at the store was initially resistant and I had to train her, literally the worst thing having to teach her Magic for her job), plus one of them made a pauper Battlebox with one of each color combination of Pauper decks, so there's always something to jam with them if they're free or there's people around.

Seems more like a problem with the store, not the people taking value. I know you're probably not one of them, but people who get mad because someone opens a lucky pack with 2 valuable cards in them and expect to get passed one piss me the fuck off, Magic is an expensive game, and you should be taking every opportunity to pad out your trade binder to make it cost less, ESPECIALLY if you're a newer player or a player on a budget.

All my local crowd are pretty cool.

This may be related to the store whose events I attend lacking space, and so the book a room at the local university for them in the evenings?

Well, how about offering to buy another pack to replace the super value pack? I've never had it happen to me, but I bet it would feel terrible to open up a hundred dollars in a pack, and not be able to keep a good chunk of it.

>Oh hey I bought this lottery ticket
>Oh wow I won a shitload of money from it
>I SOLD YOU THAT TICKET YOU NEED TO GIVE UP PART OF THAT VALUE TO A STRANGER OR I'LL BAN YOU FROM MY STORE

There are literally millions of easier ways to fix this problem (buying another pack, allowing you to take them as two picks from the first pack, skipping your next pick, and only allowing to play one of your first picks, etc.) and even if you don't, a bye is not the end of the world and actually means that you're more likely to be in prizes, so I suggest you get over yourself.

The problem is there are just a lack of players. This is the only store for like 100 miles so every one in the area that wants to play is there.

>people who get mad because someone opens a lucky pack with 2 valuable cards in them and expect to get passed one piss me the fuck off,
>Magic is an expensive game, and you should be taking every opportunity to pad out your trade binder to make it cost less, ESPECIALLY if you're a newer player or a player on a budget.

Bro did you even reread that. That's literally why I got upset. I wanted the value for myself. I would of sold it and bought like 10 cards I need for my decks.

Yup the store averages 8 people a draft and splits it into two pods of 4 each. The "good" pod and the "bad" pod. Its to keep new players from playing life long players as much as possible.

He did not buy another pack and kept playing though. That's the thing. He just left and fucked everything up. Sure I would of been annoyed at his luck but that would be localized to me only if he kept playing.

Get a load of this faggot

If the new players never play the grinders, they will get better a lot slowly than allowing them to mix together. You gotta take your lumps with Magic, as long as your store isn't rare drafting, most people won't mind losing as long as they learn things.

And I did reread what you said, but for every time you expect to get passed value from someone who opens two valuable cards in one pack, you'll be the guy in that exact same position staring down two rare cards in one pack who has to make that painful choice.

It's much easier to control things by just giving them a new pack, being happy for them, and then just hoping that your next pack is like theirs so you can do the same than asking people, ESPECIALLY new players, to pass value.

This is coming from someone who has done hundreds of drafts across dozens of sets, and boy howdy, does it get even more complicated with flip cards/land slots.

I've opened Foil Thing in the Ice, Avacyn, and Nahiri, and I've also opened Foil Monastery Mentor, Windswept Heath and Soulfire Grand Master back in Fate Reforged, and you could have pried those packs from my cold, dead hands.

Getting ripped off by getting convinced to give up a fucking Jace the Mind Sculptor for a Cemetery Reaper and some other bullshit rares was the worst I'd ever gotten. There was also the one time I traded a then-new Thoughtseize for Coat of Arms and... something else I wanted in my Slivers deck, but I don't think the value difference at the time was so insane. Might've been foil Coat too.

As long as the value at the time is the same, you can't be too upset.

You've probably also kept some cards which are junk at the time and then turned out to be more expensive, for every time I traded away a Kid Jace for $20 at prerelease and then kicked myself when he hit nearly $100, there was a time I picked up 7 copies of Ishkanah at $4 each because I thought he was a decent long term spec for commander players and then was shocked at the amount of play she saw in Standard.

Wait, so this is allowed?

Can I at any point leave with the pack in my hand and the cards I've picked so far?

BTW, allowing me to buy a new pack and keep the old one would let me get rid of a bad pack and essentially retry/mulligan. Especially if it's pack 2 or 3 that I claim I want to keep, so that I have a shot at getting a 2nd/3rd rare that's on-color.

>worth more than the GDP of Dubai
Dubai is really rich. Use San Marino or Andorra for analogies like that, or "an African country".

>I'll finish it in another comment
You mean another post... You mean "(1/2)"... Redditor detected.

>if people care
Just post the story faggot, we'll decide if we care once we've read it.

>We've done a threeway with Chill Guy once or twice
I'm progressive, not gonna judge.

>M:tG is cancer.
No, user, you are. And it's "MTG".

>I don't understand how anyone could rip booster packs and trade without knowing the value of the cards.

Dude, people who are new to this game don't even know that cards HAVE values. Like, not only they don't know the precise number, they don't know it's even possible for such a number to exist.

I traded a Volcanic Island for like a Force of Nature or some shit, because one of them was a weird land and the other was a cool big creature. Still burns. I had no concept that cards could be worth more or less than other cards, other than based on how much you liked them.

>giving this autistic a response to a 4 hour old post

get a load of this ding dong

This was mid-Caw Blade Standard, no Jace wasn't fucking the same price. Thoughtseize might or might not have been a ripoff at the time but yeah, not mad about it these days, it's simply the only other bad experience I had.

I've had good pulls from boosters, sure, but I've never fallen ass-backwards into value like your example. And to think I was waiting for foil Ishkanah to go cheap after preorder season. Bleh.

>looking at timestamps at all

Wonder who's the autist here.

a bye is emphatically not a win.

I had a Noble Hierarch stolen from me when I traded via MTGsalvation.

Haven't use it since

Jesus fuck dude, how triggered can these small details make you?

>>At one point jumps up from his seat and yells "JESUS FUCKING SHIT THIS FAGGOT TOOK ALL THE REMOVAL HOW THE FUCK IS THIS EVEN FAIR"

You should have fucked him up outside the shop.

>Can I at any point leave with the pack in my hand and the cards I've picked so far?

Not if you already started drafting, as in you picked a card out of pack 1.

He's a redditor, they always ignore older posts, despite their names being attached on their native site.

So if I've picked a single card and need to leave, that card is all I get to take, despite paying for three boosters?

Judge here.

>>At one point jumps up from his seat and yells "JESUS FUCKING SHIT THIS FAGGOT TOOK ALL THE REMOVAL HOW THE FUCK IS THIS EVEN FAIR"

Even at FNM people like that should be kicked out of the store.

No, you can always leave with the cards you picked, the pack in your hand and your unopened packs.
That being said, if there is someone who does that all the time, I would not let them enter Draft events anymore at my store.

Is picking all the removal a good strategy?

Of course. But then again, I'm a judge. Not a good player. :^)
First pick Murder is still the best thing you can do in EMN. Removal is the best thing in general. Except in New Zendikar when you were mostly better off picking big guys.

As long as you have like 3 good wincons yes.

Other strategies include taking every good wincon and forcing them to run out of removal.

Leaving for emergencies is clearly different.

Think of it like this, you are paying to draft, not just for 3 boosters. If you want to try your luck on 3 boosters and fuck off then buy your packs and leave. I would never worry about value in drafting, but then again I'm not hurting for money.

Sperg from work detected

For you.

I don't know what the strict ruling is but the 'buy another pack, count your pack as the bought pack' seems like a really good way to smooth these out and give the store a friendly reputation.

Not a great solution because it's basically a "mulligan" for the pack.

The solution we found was that you would just ask the table if it was okay if you receive your crazy value card back after the Draft and you wouldn't drop and there would be no byes. Has always worked so far.

Fuck off Chill Guy. Why didn't you have a fucking bounce to get rid of the deathtouch?

So you get a free card? If I open a great off-color rare in pack 3 can I just ignore it and get it back afterwards, to make a better deck?

Nah. Only if you get some uber mythic and another foil thing that is worth well above the pack value. Then you can politely ask and then take out the rare you want for your deck and pass the rest. Someone else will pick your crazy value card, play it, and give it back to you after the Draft.

They could, or they could just keep it, because they're under no obligation to actually give it back once you've handed them the pack.

They are not, of course. But then again, no one at our shop is a complete dick.

Lucky you. No one at my shop is a complete dick either, but I'm not good enough friends with any of them to trust them to give me back a money card.

You must be fun at parties.

Had a bad trading experience once in Geek Fortress out of Snohomish, WA. Brought up the mouth-breather online.

They tracked me down, including my Twitch name. Apparently they run some low-rent streaming operation a few times a week for Legacy. Their "mods" tossed around a bunch of threats, saying they'd "report" me to Twitch and get me "banned" for trying to hurt their (friends'?) business.

Some queer in a tie and vest started private messaging me too, trying to figure out who I was as a customer. He started going through credit card records in real time, spewing different names and addresses at me (none of them mine...nice way to show customer appreciation).

They went totally mental. Not sure if the mouth breather I'd originally talked about was some sort of Twitch buddy of theirs or just a good customer. Biggest joke of a store ever.

Just gonna say that for drafting Masters sets my store has a pretty chill policy that works really well.
Everyone removes the foil from their pack and adds it to their picks, then they draft as normal. It rarely affects your draft as well.

Trips aside, this post contains no relevant or factual information. -ibid

you mean 'Once you figured out in 6 months that you made a bad speculation?'