Classless Fantasy

What are some games that can do Dnd like fantasy and don't use Classes?

I am going to suggest GURPS, because someone is going to anyway

Other urls found in this thread:

evilhat.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Olaf-Vs-The-Orcs.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

D6 Fantasy

Any system that doesn't use a class system can be used for fantasy. Setting isn't mechanics.

If you want to use Shadowrun to host a low-fantasy prehistoric sword-and-sorcery campaign then go for it.

what is your experience with D6 fantasy?

Savage Worlds

GURPS might not be your thing because it's far more lethal. You can't get more than 15 or so hp like in D&D. Savage Worlds is similar but you start out more durable.

The Dark Eye....
No i'm just joking - unless you are german and a major rules autist it will kill you.

HeroQuest

Fantasy Hero

Not really, you can get as much HP as you want as long as the GM allows it.

GURPS is pretty lethal by default, just because it tends toward simulationism and real life combat is pretty lethal, but GURPS is also customizeable as hell.

The main reason GURPS might not be somebody's thing is because they don't have the time to invest in making the game they want from the toolkit GURPS gives them.

Savage world is great for big group one shots, i did about 5 combats with 7 players in about 4 hours

I usually prefer Savage World to Gurps because i find it much easier to eye what rulesets I'm gonna need for my game and how to balance them.

Gurps can drown you in its sea of supplement rules while they often aren't to compatible with each other.

Warhammer hasn't been mentioned, I see, so I will mention that.

1st edition had classes on the sheet, but they only influenced what chart you rolled for your background. Once you got going, the system instead used careers, that is, jobs, such as beggar, counterfeiter, trader, militiaman, ratcatcher...
2nd edition removed it, since it literally did nothing.

I dislike GURPS because it only uses D6s and that feels wrong.

You can prefer whatever system you like and that's fine, but, what do you mean by not compatible? I haven't had any compatibility issues with GURPS and I've been into it for a few years.

And it really isn't that hard to pick out the rules you want, obviously you won't be looking at spaceships for your generic fantasy game, just fantasy, magic and low tech stuff. And you can just skim over the relevant books.

Are you cubephobic or do you just want a wider variety of colorful shapes on the table?

Check out Symbaroum. Characters are built by selecting abilities piecemeal rather than following class structures.

What exactly do you mean by "DnD-like"? Over the years DnD generated a very specific approach to fantasy, and I have never seen other systems get quite the same result. DnD is the ultimate in providing DnD-like fantasy.

If you just want fantasy, Fate is pretty great.

can you give me an example of fate combat?

Well Dungeons the Dragoning has classes, but they're something you can switch in and out of rather than locking you down, allowing you to learn magic with any character and the like.

>mfw your pic

Here's an official example (technically FAE, which is like FATE but a bit simpler):

evilhat.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Olaf-Vs-The-Orcs.pdf

(I've tried to send this message for like an hour now, god fucking damn)

>I dislike GURPS because it only uses D6s and that feels wrong
Is the fact its not linear?

I have this problem to, everytime I will convert some idea to gurps "this happens 30% of the time, while other happens 45% of the time and the other 25% of the time" or some stuff like that, I have to fucking convert this to 3d6 math.
And if it has bonus it fucks with everything.

Mythras, especially with the classic fantasy supplement - though Classic Fantasy adds "classes" but more in the specialization sense like warhammer fantasy or FFG Star Wars.