Shows up to every single game session

>Shows up to every single game session
>Hardly says a damn thing unless directly prompted
>Hardly does anything unless directly prompted or acted on (such as being attacked)
>Can't tell if he's actually paying attention to the game or not
>Shows up to every game still

ARE YOU HAVING FUN OR NOT?!!!!!

Yes I do.

Yes, just let me do the thing when I finally do speak up or I will never come again

Basically sounds like every GF that is brought to the table by another player or the dm.

Yes. Because of crushing depression + low self-esteem + social anxiety this is literally the only time I see another human being that isn't my family.

I've had this player. As long as they still take their turn in combat, and aren't looking at their phone, it's not an issue. Some people get enjoyment just by being with their friends and watching the stories and RP play out. They're still having fun.

Unless you're playing something very narrative-focused or player interaction-focuced (like Appcalypse World or Fiasco), this type of player shouldn't be a problem.

Fun is not the exact word, but at least I'm intredasted

I'M TRYING TO DO SOMETHING, BUT STEVE KEEPS INTERRUPTING ME! I CAN'T INTERRUPT HIM OR HE'LL BLOW UP THE SMALL BOMBS IN MY STOMACH! SHUT HIM DOWN, PLEASE!

>tfw my gf is the one that gets most into the game and got the newer players to get into role playing in character

>does literally nothing in the game
>ask him about it
>he complains that talking to npcs isn't in character
maybe you shouldn't have made a fucking autist then cunt

Yes, I am having fun, don't worry about it.
I'm just literally autistic and incapable of simulating personality traits other than my own, but self-conscious enough to know that roleplaying as myself is unacceptable, so I try and try and try to ask myself "would my character say these exact words?" for ten minutes, and by then another player has already said basically the same thing so I don't say it.
I end up mentally exhausted and stressed like I just took a final exam at school, but I had fun. I keep coming back to RPGs, every session, because it's fun in spite of my limitations. It's an ordeal but I look forward to it all week.
Do you have a problem with that? Do you think if you see two people at the gym every day, and one person can bench press 200 pounds, and the other can bench press 300 pounds, they're equally strong and the first one just doesn't try? They both do the exact same amount of training, you see them train, they do everything they're supposed to do, but one of them is just better by birth. You should mind your own business and let me have fun however I choose, it's not affecting you at all.

>ARE YOU HAVING FUN OR NOT?!!!!!
The funny part is, even if they told you yes it would be in a tone that doesn't sound at all convincing and you would STILL be questioning it.

I have this guy in my group. He also half-closes his eyes so much that it makes me think he's actually sleeping through the entire session, but he claims he's following along.

Following maybe, but not really participating. I don't know why he bothers playing with us unless he's or .

LEARN TO FUCKING EMOTE, GUYS!

Do something other than react when prompted too. It's not that hard. Think of an action that might help the party at some point in the game. When there's silence and nobody knows what to do, suggest your action.

Participation is participaction!~

>When there's silence and nobody knows what to do
There was NEVER silence in my last game. The other players' characters argued among themselves so much, it held the plot back sometimes and the GM had to tell them to wrap it up. It was kind of intimidating.

I have a player who is like this. When we do need him, he's responsive and knows the rules so I don't mind. I like having one of these in groups, especially large ones, because they make my life easier because I don't have one extra person trying to do things at the same time as everyone else. He just does what the team wants to do. Plus mine will play whatever role is needed and likes being a healer, so he's actually a great contributor.

It sounds like your player is completely fucking exhausted, but keeps showing up out of a sense of duty and fear of alienating the rest of the group if he drops out.

Are you sure he isn't dropping hints that you're missing, or trying to find a graceful exit?

Every fucking game ever:

>1 or 2 guys who talk over everyone else
>same guys dominate GM's attention
>at least 1 guy who's less socially dominant
>slowly becomes detached from the game
>realize he's not been engaging much
>directly turn attention to quiet guy
>deer in headlights because he wasn't focused
>wowitsfuckingnothing.jpg

Players being engaged will literally squeeze other players out if it's imbalanced.

>GM: "So what's your character's name?"
>Player: "Uhhhh Joe. Joe Fighter."
>GM: "Where did he learn how to fight, and why?"
>Player: "I dunno"
>GM: "What was his early life like? Is his family still alive?"
>GM: "What did he do before becoming an adventurer?"
>GM: "What are his motivations for becoming an adventurer and leaving his old life behind?"

You know what I dunno?

Why I even put up with players like this.

Because you're retarded.

Why spend your free time doing your hobby, an inherantly creative and social activity with somebody uncreative and antisocial?

Am I the only one who just enjoys being in a group of people being social?

My group gets jack shit done typically because we can never stay on topic. Of course we have a few quiet members, some people just enjoy being in good company and don't feel the need to speak much themselves.

The game itself isn't that important. The whole thing is just an excuse for people who hate football to have a social gathering and shoot the shit.

Aye. But it's a voice game and I hate to interrupt. And you suckas never shut up.

My GF that I brought in as DM.... is now the DM.

I do this sometimes and it's usually a combination of not getting much sleep the previous night and being bored to fucking tears by the idiot GM's awful shitty game that isn't going anywhere.
Although I'm also probably not the kind of person you're talking about, because I know a guy who is like this 100% of the time for every session under every GM, but he keeps wanting to play and even asks to join games. He seems autistic to me.

If you want the quiet person to do something, involve them directly. If you're not the GM, this is an especially important thing for you to do.

As a foreverDM that occasionally gets to play: Speak up. I know being social can be hard sometimes, I'm half retarded.

But if you don't speak up and all you do is 'I follow them'. Then you're going to be bored. You have to try and participate.

>Am I the only one who just enjoys being in a group of people being social?
Well no, there are plenty people who are there just to be in a group.

You just clash with people that have "good roleplay game and story" as the goal of the gathering. And if you call them "tryhards" that's just the same non-understanding of others' fun.

>make an entire area for non-participatory person
>they complain that they have nothing to do there
>even after managing to get them do something with the help of one of the more active players, he gets into it and lapses shortly after
If it wasn't for the fact he fucking LOVES looking at mechanical options for his character, I'd swear he just didn't want to play at all.

I hate people who bring their girlfriends to my Tables.

>Brings Girlfriend.
>Girlfriend doesn't know how to play, know how to properly emote, or roll... or what her character does... or even really what it is.
>Playing a Dragonborn Barbarian.
>She wants to suffocate a bandit with her Egg Slit.
> She says things like "I grab him and rip his head off." or "I punch him really, really hard because I'm raging."
>Just give her a look... and then her boyfriend a look (Who is actually a lifelong friend of mine).
> She doesn't understand that having 14 Strength is, doesn't understand doing different things means different Dice.

> When she "Doesn't want to play" he can't play or he will feel bad. Holds my group up, or we have to make reasons why those characters aren't around.
>She whines when the others play without her, when she doesn't want to play.

I've made it an official rule that you can't bring women to my table. Especially women who don't have creativity. If you are a woman who wants to play, but are not romantically seeking to make my D&D games your "Couples Hobby, because HE likes it" then you can sit at my table. Otherwise. GTFO.

What the blistering fuckbiscuits is that thing? I thought it was some kind of mace type weapon until I saw the tongue. Are they friendly? Kinda want one now.

Filename bruh. It's a pangolin.

>tfw you used to be that player
>tfw you are now the most active in a group of new players and have to make all the decisions or spend 4 hrs jacking off making zero progress
I just want to be a wallflower again...

Well there are different types of players. At least you have that play reacting. I've had quiet players at my table before, who were overshadowed by the thespian types that liked to hog the RP spotlight. Also, the quiet player may be other bored of your campaign, or if not then perhaps is suffering from analytical paralysis so can't improvise that well. If that doesn't work...might have to take that player aside, and have a little talk.

come on hugo i m having fun.

>had two gfs during a game
>ones pretty chill
>really shy but gets along with the group
>doesn't play often
>doesn't understand all of the mechanics of it but usually useful in combat
>party likes her
>other one just mean mugs half the time
>other half is on Twitter
>nudges her bf for attention or cuddling or some bullshit
>if we have combat only heals bf
>usually leaves a couple of hours
>talks shit about us on Twitter

I hardly talk at all with my group. I'm honestly just shy and autistic and like letting everyone else have the spotlight. Also I stutter and stumble over words a lot.

Please don't bully us quiet people.

Ok but outside of being the face/diplomancer of the group, do you participate in stuff like making plans, strategies, etc?

Are you the DM?

If so a lesson I've learned , from one my current campaign includes a player who's a qualified Doctor and Psychiatrist and therefore pretty good with people , is to give all your players at the table constant rotating prompting.

Literally what do you do player x, okay what do you do player y, okay what do you so player z and so on all round the table. For every situation in and outside of combat. You also need to not only ask what they do but tell them the various options they could take , " you can run away , or dodge, or cast a spell, you could agree with the duke , or tell him you want more gold for the mission, or stab him with your dagger in the face.

Your players are not going to have any idea of the breadth of their options if you don't give them the options. All people suffer from analysis paralysis when giving too many options so a DM needs to vastly reduce that list and present it to the players. (Note I'm not suggesting the DM tell them these are their only options , you're simply offering a selection for them to choose from , they can obviously do whatever they like beyond that too )

You can't wait for them to just react because then only the loud/confident ones end up actually playing the game. I've started doing this only recently and the effect has been pretty eye opening but it's also really difficult to maintain and can be quite exhausting over a long session but still ultimately worth it for a better game.

I wish this was an exaggeration, but I have one of these in my close circle of friends. When we first played 3.5 he made a fighter called bob. He did nothing outside of combat, and in it all he did was move and roll. I kept asking if he wanted to change class, rethink his character or if he was just coming cause he felt he was obliged to. Apparently he enjoyed whatever it was he had going on even though he was typically a pretty smart guy and could definitely handle the strategic mindset of a caster.

As a player, it really shouldn't bother me, unless you're actively screwing things up. As a DM, though, it can be really frustrating to have a player such as yourself, because as OP said, it's hard to know if you're having fun.

RPing a personality pretty much like your own in your character's shoes is better than not roleplaying at all, IMO, as long as you don't leech all the attention. Considering you love the game so much, I think you should try and make it also more enjoyable to the DM, and talk him about how you game and what he expects, and if you're not capable of doing it better, tell him you genuinely love the game. Appreciation is the best you can give him.

Autism: The Thread

Let the fucking dude have his own way of playing the game, if he is your friend just appreciate he is there with you... sounds like the game is more important than seeing other people. Or you are so self-centered that you need the positive input as dm to feel accomplished. If either is true then you seriously need to get out of mom's basement.
Instead of bitching about it here to strangers without any consequences, how about asking the player outside of the game if he wishes to have something different, what he likes and dislikes... you know... in 'real life'.

Don't mind to reply, not coming back.

Don't be mad at the beta.
He's just there to follow along.

>I have this guy in my group. He also half-closes his eyes so much that it makes me think he's actually sleeping through the entire session,

He is asleep.
Also, you are gaming with a horse.

> makes an asshole weeaboo edge master
>broods by himself, speaking up to be a dick to anyone and everyone
>NPCs and PCWORLD stop talking to him
> COMPLAINS ABOUT NOT HAVING ANYONE TO RP WITH
> practically saintly lawful nice wizard goes down to say hi and RP with him
> ACTS LIKE AN ASSHOLE AGAIN

On one hand, I shouldn't have been surprised...

> PCWorld
Phone pls. PCs.

They aint friendly. If it could hurt you, it would. It can only stare dissapointedly at you.

Disappointing stares can hurt a plenty.

They also have claws.

One group I was in got a new player. He was playing a bard and was real quiet. You couldn't tell if he was having fun or not. He wouldn't talk much.

Suddenly on the 6th session his character starts singing and then HE starts singing fucking Ave Maria. He had this deep fucking voice and was REALLY fucking good. Turned out he was in some local opera group and was really shy. He hadn't been able to break the ice so he decided to start singing.

Did it work?

Not that guy, but fuck, I certainly hope so. Bards played by people who can actually into music is one of my gaming fetishes.

>two GFs
>they're both absolute shit

polygamy for losers!

>Yes, I am having fun, don't worry about it.
>I'm just literally autistic and incapable of simulating personality traits other than my own, but self-conscious enough to know that roleplaying as myself is unacceptable, so I try and try and try to ask myself "would my character say these exact words?" for ten minutes, and by then another player has already said basically the same thing so I don't say it.
>I end up mentally exhausted and stressed like I just took a final exam at school, but I had fun. >I keep coming back to RPGs, every session, because it's fun in spite of my limitations. It's an ordeal but I look forward to it all week.

Oh, okay. Look, hey, that's cool man. I'm glad we could discuss this and have it out there on the table like that. This was a good talk. I'm glad you show up to our sessions and anything I can do to help you truly fit into the role you wish to play would be-

>Do you have a problem with that? Do you think if you see two people at the gym every day, and one person can bench press 200 pounds, and the other can bench press 300 pounds, they're equally strong and the first one just doesn't try? They both do the exact same amount of training, you see them train, they do everything they're supposed to do, but one of them is just better by birth. You should mind your own business and let me have fun however I choose, it's not affecting you at all.

-fuck you. Fuck you and the horse you came in on. I can see that the autism diagnosis was spot on. Get the fuck out of my group, get cancer, and die lonely curled up on a bathroom stall somewhere choking on your own vomit you pathetic subhuman worm.

I absolutely loathe players like this, they are a pure fucking cancer. If I'm playing, it means that YET AGAIN I have to be the party leader because everyone else is too autistic to talk or take initiative - and I don't always WANT to be the fucking party leader. I'm lucky to have one other non-autistic player who enjoys the spotlight of leader much more than I do, but he doesn't play near as much, so in 80% of the games I play I'm forced into the leadership/capable of talking role while the rest of the party awkwardly shuffles in the back, never saying anything and only acting when combat rolls around.

I fucking hate this shit even more when I GM, and, surprise surprise, I'm one of two actual GMs in my group (go on and guess who the other one is). I GM the majority of our games and always try to create interesting scenarios with many different paths for players to take, whether it be social, investigation, stealth, murder, etc. but my players are dead fish who won't take any fucking bait except being threatened or attacked. I engage each player individually, especially in downtime, by asking them what they're doing in a certain situation and even suggesting things, but they almost always respond with "Nothing" or "Sure".

The worst part is that, even though I ask for feedback on every session, I never get any useful answers. My players just mumble "It was fun" or "See you next week" and fuck off back to their autism dungeon. I don't know why I put up with this shit, it's just so unbelievably disrespectful and frustrating.

As a fellow GM who gets players like these all the time, here's some friendly advice that helps me cope:

*If you have a character(s) who is not afraid to take the spotlight, fine. Give them the spotlight, make them the "main character(s)" of the story while everyone else at the table is just a bit player. They are fine with this, and if they aren't, they need to say and act differently.

*If you don't have any players who want the spotlight, then fine. Slam your game on the rails and fire up that train, because they're just fine with tactical wargame with the occasional "cut scene".

>The worst part is that, even though I ask for feedback on every session, I never get any useful answers.
This justs makes me scream on the inside. When I ask for feedback, give me more then just "it was fun" or "it was okay". It's okay to criticize me, that's the point of feedback. I WANT to give you guys the best entertainment I can, stop giving such weak answers.

I rather have quiet to the point players then players that I have to shut up every so often so they can hear what's happening with the fucking orks.

>because they're just fine with tactical wargame with the occasional "cut scene".
I'm NOT fine with that. I don't GM so I can run a shitty video game for my players. "Their fun" is not my fun, and I'm the one that does all the work.

Have you talked to your players about this? Like, directly saying "guys, you are being way too passive . Could you try to be a little more engaged?"

Yes, I've called them out for it a number of times but at this point I believe it's a psychological or medical condition - genuine autism - because they seem utterly incapable of being social and proactive.

>I rather have quiet to the point players then players that I have to shut up every so often so they can hear what's happening with the fucking orks.
Not everything need be extremes, user.
I'll be the one to tell you, no, this doesn't work. People who aren't used to talking need to force it, and when you force rp, it sounds like it, and it's fucking awful, unnatural and stilted.

>talks shit about us on twitter
See, that's something I'd never understand. If I ever came across someone shit about me/anyone in my group of friends to the world, you bet your fucking ass I'd treat them like the passive aggressive shitstain they are, except to their face.
IDGAF if you're someone's boy/girlfriend, if you wanna talk shit about someone do it privately, or if you must shout it to the world, do it anonymously.

>show up every game session
>initially try to interact with party and npcs a lot
>party overall ignores me
>even when trying to strategize before a fight, party ignores me
>gets upset I didn't place a trap spell down, even though I told them multiple times I can't until they move out of the way because it will do friendly damage
>gm rarely roleplays my interactions
>enjoy the game less and less, but desperate for friends so keep coming
i have no where else to go. this is the only non-work human interaction i get

>mistakes bad players for eww girls wizard bullshit

>so a DM needs to vastly reduce that list and present it to the players
Except they will only take the options you brought up and NO OTHER, and you know how that is what happens.
Further, this crosses a line for many GMs where the feeling creeps in that you are telling players how to play their characters, rather than the other way around.
Whether you intend to or not, your method strips player autonomy and responsibility, and every gm I know is loathe to do so.

>i have no where else to go. this is the only non-work human interaction i get
FIND
ANOTHER
GROUP,
GOD
DAMN
YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Except they will only take the options you brought up and NO OTHER, and you know how that is what happens.

No, I don't know. Explain, please.

>Further, this crosses a line for many GMs where the feeling creeps in that you are telling players how to play their characters, rather than the other way around.

Except that if the players are "acting" the way OP describes, they'll be absolutely fine with this or fucking finally get around to being more active and saying, "No, my character wouldn't do that. They'd do THIS instead." Which would be a VERY WELCOME fucking change.

I've done that exact same thing, for different players in different groups.
Every single one of them took what I suggested as the only options, and never brought up an original idea. What you are talking about is working against you, because you are offering limited choices to someone seeking them, and no, they do NOT want to think of something themselves. They want defined choices, and work from those.
>if the players
That's why I said GM, user, not players. I have yet to meet a GM who wants to lead players by the nose, deny them agency and personal initiative by telling them what options they have (because you will never know everything that can be done, further, you will never offer a decision that may be outright wrong or ineffective).
>fucking finally get around to being more active
Which won't happen for the reason stated above.

no

You have the actual autism, wew lad.