MTG Kaladesh Inventions Brainstorming & Deckbuilding

With the printings of Kaladesh Inventions, some lucky Anons have pulled to shiny new toys and many more have decided to cave in and buy some.

With that in mind, this thread is aimed to offer both questions and answers to what can be done with Inventions. Feel free to share and discus.

I'll start with pic related, what can I do with it outside of Elves?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-03-16-reki/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Animar for those into commander.

Cloudstone Curio can be used to bounce lands back in Stasis decks. That way you won't run out of fuel to pay the upkeep cost.

maybe you can use cloudstone curios to bolt with valakut while scapeshift doesn't come

What possibilities i have!

There are many things to sacrifice with that, the possibilities are nearly endless, I envy you

im just glad its edh playable, im honestly super hyped for it.

discard rats

How do you not die with this in a game of EDH?

You win before you die

Kill fast. 2 extra mana allows this. Also there are tons of ways to exploit this for making even more mana due to there being plenty of flickers and "untap target nonland".
Actually, this + Isecrone Scepter with Dramatic reversal = infinite untaps. Just one more mana rock = infinite mana.

>Reply

Play good cards with it.

Does Storm play this?

>Does Storm play this?
>Does everything in Vintage play this?

Yes.

What if the game drags on and you get killed?

>what is dredge

Greatness, at any cost.

Chaos warp it after you nut half your deck onto the board

You have 40 life and if it gets sketchy, you should be able to reliably remove artifacts.

Now that's my kinda deck

Easily. I've never seen anyone lose if this come down before turn 3 and went unanswered. I've never seen someone lose if it came down turn 1 even if it did get answered.

You eat it to Ravager, wear/tear it or accept the fact that sometimes even in Vintage both players will flood to oblivion.

I just want one. I don't care which one. Even the worst one I will be able to trade for the one I want. Champion's Helm.

Why do you want that one, user?

That card is arguably the best card in EDH, and inarguably in the top 2 best cards in EDH. Every deck that is optimized plays it, because every deck is improved by adding it.

>That card is arguably the best card in EDH, and inarguably in the top 2 best cards in EDH
What's the second ? Sol Ring ?

yes. It's arguable that sol ring is better than mana crypt. But it is undeniable that both are the two best cards in EDH.

I'd go for Sol Ring
Because a 0 drop or a 1 drop doesn't change much in a 99 singleton format for me and because Sol Ring doesn't try to kill you

Because it's the first printing of that card that's foiled. I'm seriously considering buying one since I see it shooting up massively.

I have a Reki EDH deck full of fun cards and legends and I know Champion's Helm won't be more than 50 bucks.

I have a reki EDH deck, and I wouldn't be caught dead with a champion's helm in that. Why take such a competitive combo general and waste it with voltron type cards?

I am playing casual jank Reki. If Reki sees play as a combo general, I wouldn't know.

Champion's Helm just gives my shit hexproof, has low equip cost and the +2/+2 is surprisingly relevant.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-03-16-reki/

Sadly, I cant think of a single thing I want to do with this. I need to sell it. Any ideas?
Also: why is this the most expensive hulk?

Reki is sort of like mono green azami. You build up your mana, draw your whole deck, and then play some win condition. It's actually a lot of fun.

That's not terribly surprising given the amount of times I end up with a huge hand. You could run Glimpse of Nature and stuff.

But yeah, not what I'm doing with it. If I don't open anything in my box of Kaladesh, I might snag up a solemn and the helm. Depending on how lax with money I'm feeling.

It's a 5 mana 8/8 creature with effective upside. It's also an artifact with a very abusable ETB effect

Because 4 power you distribute however you want and can be recurred with the flicker cantrip is bretty good in standard.

>TFW you play Feldon and Rakdos in EDH and the Combustible Gearhulk is a perfect addition to both decks
>It has a cool looking masterpiece card

When would be the best time to try to grab one of these for my collection? Are people expecting these to just continuously climb in price or go down slightly before rocketing when the set falls out of standard?

Slight price reduction if it doesn't see play, then they will rise for EDH play

If they, by any chance, it sees play in any constructed format outside standard, the prices will only rise before skyrocketing when it's out of rotation

Casuak ramp deck, teach your younger brother how to play

I'm going to buy up some boosters to do a draft in a couple weeks; do you guys think Kaladesh looks like a good set to draft? I haven't been watching the spoilers that closely so I'm not as familiar with the set as I'd like to be yet.

It really is, the power level feels spot on

Do you have at least 5 other people who have already agreed to draft with you?

Getting this for daretti. Honestly I'd pay $40 and be happy. I might get a pack foil. Not sure yet.

The future is so uncertain. These could crash. I doubt they'll increase. Look at zendikar lands. All went down. This is every set now.

That's good to hear.

So far I've only got four people (counting myself) definitely in for the draft, with one other person who is a maybe.

So no. But are you suggesting it's a bad idea to draft Kaladesh specifically with a small group, or just that it's a bad idea to draft with a small group in general? Because I definitely will be setting up a draft even if there's only going to be four people- I'm just trying to work out what to draft.

I mean that unless you can guarantee you have people, buying sealed for draft tends to not work out. Why aren't you just drafting at FNM, by the way?

Looking at the prices at MTG stocks, I would sell all masterpieces immediately if you don't plan on using it, or wait 2 weeks to a month at the very latest to buy if you plan of using it immediately.
Otherwise, I would wait until rotation for the standard stuff, and the lower-end stuff.

Oh, well if it's just a matter like that, I'm not worried about it. We regularly get together for Magic every weekend so I know the players will be present, and if someone ends up not able to make it that weekend I'll just save the boosters for the weekend after. I'm fronting the cost of the boosters myself, so there's no risk of someone suddenly backing out because they decide they don't want to spend money on boosters.

As for why not FNM, my Fridays are preoccupied with running Pathfinder and the nearest game shop is a bit out of the way anyway.

Some handy tips for skittish players.

1. Don't drop it until your ready to use it.
2. Do things that offset the potential life loss, like:
>incidental life gain
>play oloro as your general
>get rid of it, preferably by transmuting it into a wurmcoil engine or a memory jar
>Win the game. You have a "mox" that taps for 2 colorless. Combine with good cards and profit.
3. Don't be a pussy. It has a 50% chance to ding you and it still taps for either way.

That makes a lot of sense, enjoy your draft.
Also, sets that are great to draft (either my opinion or what I've heard, these may be expensive):
Time Spiral block
3x INN
MMA (NOT MM2)
Either Ravnica block is also pretty good.

The same way you don't die from 2 from Ancient Tomb or 1 from Mana Confluence.

Also Coldsnap, forgot to mention it.

It's impossible. It will kill you every time. Better give it to me. I love building bad decks with the worst jank so this would be perfect.

Cheerios. Use two Kobolds to Grapeshot for billions and billions.

Sure.
You wouldn't mind the card after I rub cheeto dust all over it, right?
After all, it is a terrible card that only belongs in jank decks and should be treated as such.

Believe me, I play Cheerios, it would be an entirely different deck. I'd love to see it though, please brew something.

I tried 2 different ideas.

1. Equipment. Using Stone Haven Outfitter for its benefits. Using Captain's Claws to get a playing field of Tokens which can be used by Stoneforge Acolytes ability to get more equipments on my hand. Sigarda's aid for easier equips. Then with all of the equips cast Metalwork Colossus for free, attach Haunted Cloak and swing.

2. Lifegain. I pulled 4 Aetherflux Reservoirs so might as well use them. Black White Lifegain with the support of Lifelink creatures and Chaplains Blessing. Possible to flip Lone Rider immediately the turn he comes out. I'm still working on it now, needs more cantrips, Kambal is amazing though.

Then there's working ideas like an Odric deck due to pic related and Black White Tokens to utilize Ayli. I've just been messing about trying to make the first 2 work before I continue on with more brews.

I tested a proxy Cloudstone Curio one-of in a turbo Stasis legacy deck and ended up 3/22 in a tourney, so it can work.