Say something nice about him

Say something nice about him.

well, at least I can have necrons other than terminator killbot

You're looking quite "snazzy" today there Mr. Ward.

His portrayal of the Ultramarines was completely reasonable and just. They're the best of the best so telling about their achievements more in depth is only fair.

>at least I can have maggot-infested meat instead of bland biscuits.

He's literate, I guess.

His crunch is consistent with itself and other codex's he has written for the most part with a few exceptions (I'm looking at you mind shackle scarabs)

He would probably have made a decent Ork codex and characters.

Hi Matt.

His codices were internally balanced and he ducked out when the internet made it clear that it didn't want him.

He's human and humans generally have the capacity to change themselves. There's the possibility Matt Ward will no longer be completely abhorrent at some point before his death.

...The 5thcrons codex did away with Phase Out.

Outside of ultramarines, kaldor draigo and sob hats, hi stuff has been pretty decent.

The World Engine was pretty cool and it's clear that shit fluff is the GW standard; he was the right writer at the wrong time.

At least he wrote decent rules.

Barring the Gay Knights, his codices were pretty good.

His crunch was fun. Non-Ward books at the time and since have been noticable more generic and souless.

He's back working at GW after obviously not making it at Blizzard working on the Diablo MMO.

He's very creative.

GW went even further downhill after he left, so I guess he wasn't THAT bad

he hasn't written shit lately that I am aware of

people aren't even trying seriously these days anymore

He was a real person.

how is that nice?

He can actually write about elves. Dark Elves, Wood Elves, High Elves in WHFB, all written by him seemed fine. Even the Eldar supplement, Codex: Iyanden was alright.

It just seems he can't wright Space Marines without thinking "Dragonball Z is clearly the best inspiration here" or "The best kind of villains are mustache twirlers who tie damsels to train tracks!"

>His codices were internally balanced

Shame he didn't do what should be the goal of all the play testing team and make them balanced against EACH OTHERS CODEXES.

>At least he wrote decent rules.

pic related both had well written fluff and non-bullshit rules. it was neither fan-wank nor hate-rape. i honestly liked it.

Based Matthew Ward is a game design genius

He understood that 40K is an impossible game to balance, especially when the company marketing team wants to pump out new rules every five minutes while the company itself wants to pay its 3 man game design team with pizza and chaos black spray paint in order that they can afford to pay the marketing guys budgets. So he decided to balance it by pushing the power level so high that everything is balanced simply through having so many strong options. It left a few older armies in the dust sadly but it created a robust metagame for the time with 5E being one of the best times to play as a result. If it were up to me he'd write every army book rules and we'd have a gloriously balanced fun game.

He also came up with the battle focus rule which is an incredibly cool, powerful ,'Eldar' feeling ability that works really well and makes even units like Guardians viable he's good in general in making armies feel like they do in the fluff, shame he can't write it for shit.

Despite everybody's meme bitching who know nothing about him that isn't from the 1d4chan page, Matt War is an excellent codex writer and he should have been given control over all 40k codices, because everything he makes is balanced against each other.

I like newcrons.

Thanks for the Necron fluff, cool dude.
The crunch was cool too, you should redo the balancing of the whole brand, but I understand only working on your favorite projects.

And despite people bitching, 7e is FAR above anything that Ward wrote, while being far more boring, swingy and laden with hard counters.
The future that Veeky Forums wanted is here.

>make codices balanced against 5e IG and SW
So, you want the game to be shi-
>7e books, LoW at >2k, superheavy armies, broken formations at no cost
This IS what you wanted, then?

Thank you for bringing back the Jokaero, Matt.

He saved my Crons from the gaping abyss of 4th/5th edition. I definitely lean in preference since Oldcron fluff, but he did a good job making the new stuff so open that you could still pretty much do whatever you wanted.

I will never understand why you guys are okay with having every single fucking faction just be "generic angry people".
I swear to got when they do it to Tyranids you boring shits will also be fine with it because if it's not the same as every other goddamn faction then it's "boring" to you

He doesn't look like a hippy neckbeard anymore

The LOTR game is one of the best game GW made and he had big part in that.

He gave us this, Good Enough.

Yeah that actually was a great game. Had the man Alessio behind it as well. I never understood why they didn't use a similar set of rules when they designed Age of Sigmar which would be leagues better as a result.

He made Anval Thrawn, a guy I used in almost every game I've ever played with Grey Knights in 5th and 6th. Fucking loved that bastard and all the great stories he made.

I'll give him Thrawn, he was interesting enough yet also not TOO powerful to lead to cool as shit moments.

He also helped write 5th edition, the most competitively balanced edition with the most complex meta flow in the game's history. That's pretty significant.

As a LotRSBG player I also enjoyed the insanity of the Mumak. Fucking hilarious model that made for some fun games. Considering I played a massive Rohan army recreating the battle of Pelanor fields was actually my gaming highlight of an entire year.

This right here^ It was, without a doubt, the best supplement written. It had very interesting rules, brought an entirely new feel to a minor sub faction in a codex mechanically, and breathed life completely into Iyanden narratively that gave them purpose and unique story telling material. The first time an actual Eldar "hope lives" narrative appeared and the first really interesting Eldar "villain" character in a LONG time. Its a shame that Eldrad was in the Deathwatch box instead of Mrs. IWantToMurderAllEldarToForceTheEndTimes chick, it would have been a more interesting narrative.

I played that Iyanden shit until clowns came out and even then still have a solitare modeled after a Prince Yriel model because of the ending of the story for that supplement.

All other supplements had to live up to this first one, almost all of them failed.

This is also very solid praise as well.

>He also came up with the battle focus rule which is an incredibly cool, powerful ,'Eldar' feeling ability that works really well and makes even units like Guardians viable he's good in general in making armies feel like they do in the fluff, shame he can't write it for shit.

I didn't know this. If its true then nice, I liked those rules.

Age of Sigmar has the "you pick, I pick" feel in combat and the initiative roll as well. If they simply adapted AoS into a modded version of LotR but with a unit scale the game probably would have been amazing.

The only tricky part would have been how to handle Might points, since heroic feats were the most important aspect of that game. Age of Sigmar suffers heavily from just how swinging the Initiative step is, being able to Heroic move, shoot, or fight would have been a great improvement.

I would but I don't know who he is. As long as he didn't make FATAL or something, I'm sure I don't hate him or anything.

He's the hero Veeky Forums needed, but did not deserved.

He was the vanguard-writer of the current era of GW where everything needs to be arbitrarily retconed for the worst and fluff needs to be bad.

He was never the enemy, it was always GW.

Newcrons were okay, he SLIGHTLY over-nerfed their lore-OP FTL drives, but overall it worked well.

So giving each hive fleet its own hive mind would anger you? You strike me as boring.

Fuck you faggot, space Egyptians is way better than metal tyrannids

He writes good game mechanics and nobody of any worth likes the Sisters of Battle anyway.

He told it like it is.

nobody has been baited by that anymore since 2013, faggot

his codexs were well balanced against one another?

He wrote decent Fantasy lore and rules, Gav a shit.

No bait tho, simply recognition of the glory of the Ultramarines, of their living god Marneus Calgar, and His prophet on this plane, Mat 'Swag Lord' Ward.

And also how Ward explicitly said that if you want to invent your own snowflakes who are just as good as the Ultramarines characters, you totally can.

>totally not!bait
ok
nice dubs tho

>of their living god Marneus Calgar
>Living
>Implying any decedent of dead Primarch Rowboat deserves that title

Marneus ain't shit compared to the most loyal Primarch confirmed to be alive, Lion "One Punch Man" El'Jonson.

>dangles
>loyal
This must be bait

:^)

>Making Necrons relatable is bad

Well shit, dude at least they still have a reason for not just nuking every star in this shitty galaxy

Mr. Ward was talented and creative. Rules like Combat Squad or the Run+Shooting of the Eldar (no, is not from Kelly. No just shut up) are simple and brilliant.

What he lacked was restraint. Most stuff in the BA codex was over the top bullshit. Still, was probably better that than what we have now. At least BA felt different, there was a justification into the codex existence.

He needed restraint, an editor limiting him. He broke the back of WHFB, that is inexcusable.

What is the Daemon Army Book

Better balanced than the previous one.

Like...gyroscopically?

More balanced than Hordes of Chaos? user that book destroyed WHFB..
Or at the very list, contributed significantly

End times

>Just because you don't play Ultramarines doesn't mean you can't have a Captain as legendary as Cato Sicarius
It does now, thanks GW.

You're a really bad person with bad taste in things and you should feel pretty bad about yourself I think.

There is no evidence he ever worked at Blizzard

whats wrong with "your dudes" potential?
you can justify terminator rip-offs just as much as you can more sympathetic necron, so its not like oldcron fans would be affected very much