/scg/ - Scion general

Mad about Hathor edition.

Scion 2e is now on Kickstarter: kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/scion-2nd-edition-tabletop-rpg

Scion is an urban fantasy game about the adventures of the children and chosen of the old gods. You can read a a preview of the book here: drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNubWNsYjBPQmdIY2M/view

Greco-Roman Pantheon preview: drive.google.com/file/d/0B01LwCGSbE8kZmtQNHJjd3cyRkE/view?usp=sharing

Topic of the Thread: Are you interested in playing non-Scion characters (mortals, werewolves, kitsune, etc) using the Origins rules?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/scion-2nd-edition-tabletop-rpg/posts/1690903
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Sorbo
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/scion-2nd-edition-tabletop-rpg/posts/1689871
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNubWNsYjBPQmdIY2M/view
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And because last thread derailed heavily due to discussion about the setting, they previewed some of it:

They've also said that they intend to have alternate setting Shards in the book and elsewhere.

>Are you interested in playing non-Scion characters (mortals, werewolves, kitsune, etc) using the Origins rules?

I'm tired of arguing with people who want WoD/CofD to be an action game where you happen to be a vampire, so Scion giving an interesting urban fantasy world where I don't have to remind folks about the personal horror themes is a godsend (pun intended).

Would a Pantheon comprised of the Abrahamic Archangels work? They and their Scions try to serve YHVH, who likely has little or no contact with them.

For reference, the Pantheons in the book are the Greco-Roman, Egyptian, Norse, Irish, Chinese, Japanese, Hindu, Yoruba, Algonquian, and Aztec, with the Voodoo Loa and the dead Gaullish gods as already-reached stretch goals and the Persian gods likely to come later in the crowdfunding.

In Demigod (which is not part of this KS), they're adding the Mayan, Polynesian, Mesopotamian, Slavic,and Navajo, with the Canaanite as an almost guaranteed stretch goal there.

Can I be a scion of Gilgamesh?

>Would a Pantheon comprised of the Abrahamic Archangels work?
Yup why wouldnt it

The previews indicate that monotheistic religions still exist in near parity of size and influence with our real world.

With the open and involved existence of actual gods and monsters in the Scion setting, I don't see how this is remotely believable or possible unless Judaism, Christianity, Islam, etc., have their own supernaturally empowered agents. Since OPP seems intent on avoiding any serious discussions of current established religions in the setting due to religious sensitivities, no less imply that the game might have a few potential messiahs running around, Scion might have too much internal inconsistency for many to enjoy the setting.

Even with the previews, it's also still unclear if the setting is supposed to be analogous to the real world with a somewhat believable alternative history based on actual but very distant gods or whether it's effectively nothing more than a gonzo comic book world.

I hope OPP is not being intentionally vague to increase sales.

Release mah nigga, Moronai

When the Mesopotamian Pantheon is added, probably?

Read the new preview in the OP, user.

>Mad about Hathor edition.

I do find it odd she isn't in the list, but Bast and Sekhmet being fused makes me think they were simply running out of space. Only so many pages you can dedicate to any one pantheon I guess.

No, now we can't see how this one would derail on its own! Each one of them has gone off the rails into vitriolic fighting over unique things.

All the questions in user's post are valid as they mention that the FUCKING KNIGHTS TEMPLAR crusaded not against the Muslim but heathens of the polytheistic bent. But my question is why? Why is monotheism is a thing when your polytheistic gods are interacting with people on, if not a daily, then a fairly decent basis?

>Read the new preview in the OP, user.

I did, including Neall's comments on the Kickstarter.

I get the impression the setting has a lot of hand-waving and intentional avoidance of perceived sensitive religious topics that will lead to a lack of internal consistency and verisimilitude.

YVWEH op

Henotheism. There is no god before our God.

They said that it's pretty modular. I'm starting to think there isn't a canon to this.

>They said that it's pretty modular. I'm starting to think there isn't a canon to this.
There's probably one core one the books will be based around with giant offset boxes periodically to suggest alternatives to setting norms.

Did anyone catch the bit in the Amazons preview that they now accept anyone who "identifies as a woman." Ov vey.

Also, does every piece of OPP fiction and sample characters involve a same sex relationship in some manner? If you read enough OPP books, in an overwrought effort to appear "inclusive" (or cynically attempt to virtue signal), supernatural seems to have now become synonymous with homosexual. I swear that OPP hasn't yet realized that the offensive "magical gays and minorities" tropes blissfully died in the 1990's, and should have remained buried.

A lot of the praise for 2e centres around fixing the horrible mechanics of 1e, but what all was actually wrong with it? From what I remember it was mostly powers that ranged from "insanely powerful" to "almost immediately irrelevant" that only got worse as the power levels increased. Can anyone fill me in on more details of what a shitshow the game was?

>Henotheism. There is no god before our God.

Possibly, but suggesting that the real world's current monotheistic with billions of followers and immense influence is similar in number and scope in the Scion setting, where polytheistic gods are a proven reality and involved with the affairs of mortal, and the Abrahamic God is effectively absent, is difficult to believe.

You're right, user. We should just never mention queer people ever.

YHVH is probably around just as much as anyone else.

The Canaanite Pantheon coming later on has the god, El, that became the Abrahamic God Himself in it, which may well touch on all that.

Who says they're a proven reality? The fact something exists but has retreated from the world doesn't mean that modern day people have to believe Thor is any more real than we do, even if he's incarnated in a guise sharing ab beer with them.

The previews and Neall's comments make it pretty clear that the gods are known and believed in.

I feel like believed in doesn't mean the same as knowing explicitly that Mars is gracing your battlefield with his attentions.

But we also really won't know until we get the full text so bickering over the snippets we get is all we've got for now. Sorry for being a fag.

We are all fags here, user.

>We should just never mention queer people ever.

I guess to totally missed the point of much of the post in the haze of your righteous indignation.

There is quite a wide gulf between "never mention queer people" and observing that most, if not all, OPP game fiction and sample characters concern gay people. It's the magical gays (and minorities) trope from decades past that emphasized how different queer people were rather than emphasizing how they are just like everyone else. OPP is trying so hard to be purportedly inclusive and diverse (or just pandering?), they are achieving precisely the opposite of what they intend.

No one is suggesting that queers or minorities not be included in game fiction or npcs. However, when virtually every piece of fiction or notable npc (although rarely antagonists) in every OPP book involves anyone but straight, white people, apparently as an intentional creative choice, it becomes both very conspicuous and alienating.

eric donner, poster child of scion is straight and white

Can you be a scion of YHWH? I dont wanna be the son of some fake nigger god

yhwh is a god for brown people

You've hit on an issue with the previews. OPP seems intentionally vague about the setting. Is this an alternative history setting where gods are known and openly and directly affect popular culture, politics, etc. or it is supposed to be analogous to the real world where gods just happen to be worshipped in greater numbers, and to those few in the know, the gods are actually real.

The tenor of the setting choices is quite different, and I hope OPP soon clarifies the default Scion World in order that people can make an informed choice of whether they want to pledge.

I feel like there's been such a strong focus on the new mechanics that people mistakenly believe that the setting has not changed much from 1e.

I think it is the latter based on my read of the preview, but other interpretations are pretty valid too based on what little we've got.

Anyone know any good APs, written or audio, of Scion?

chill dude, all that happened was a character with a girlfriend

why is it alienating, user

are you maybe making a big deal out of nothing?

Why is this thread such a consistent shitshow?

>setting where gods are known and openly and directly affect popular culture, politics, etc.

I swear to god it's like you people just keep not reading what is said

they discuss gods influencing history, not showing up on talk shows or making the new iPad

Bitch about that all you like, just stop saying shit like this as if it could potentially skew in that direction when literally everything they've said about the World suggests otherwise

Apparently, in the CofD, WoD and Scion, if you're gay, you're magical... and fabulous.

The number of gay (and certain minorities) characters in OPP fiction and within the books is definitely disproportionate in relation to the action population of both in the USA and much of everywhere else. However, it's largely a reflection of the background of many of the writers or others attempting to demonstrate their "inclusivity" or progressive bona fides. While it might be a little juvenile, and certainly lacks subtlety, the quality of the work is still generally good, and the implied preaching can mostly be ignored. Besides, it's far less offensive than some of the sidebars actually attacking readers and fans that show up with disturbing frequency in some game lines.

grognards who dont like non whites or non straights want to make sure their opinion is known

branton dude you should get a blog for all this whining you do

Because we don't know anything for certain and there is a lot of cross over with wodg so shitheadiness is abound

At least tohuofag isn't here...

DO NOT INVOKE THAT NAME

I believe your reading of the previews is little more than an exercise in confirmation bias.

It's still not entirely clear just how much of a direct and/or open involvement the pantheons have with the mortal world in the default setting. The extent of mortals' knowledge of the pantheons and their involvement drastically affects the nature and tone of the setting.

is Kevin Sorbo still alive? they need to get him in on this shit

But he's actually really good at rebalancing systems, which is sort of exactly what scion2e needs.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Sorbo
Seems to be still kicking

YES! His adventures shall be chronicled once again!

Why does it need to be rebalanced? What makes you think it isn't balanced the way it is?

>all that happened was a character with a girlfriend

And by itself there is certainly nothing particularly notable, no less wrong, with that.

However, when virtually every piece of fiction and most npcs (but rarely antagonists) from all OPP books also include a nearly identical same sex relationship, it become so unlikely as a matter of simple demographics as to become conspicuous, and given other inclusions like certain sidebars mentioned by another user,the implication is that there's something inherently wrong (or non-magical) if you're straight, white, etc.

The creative choice of OPP become one of those examples of people trying so desperately to be inclusive and diverse that they are anything but, or worse, fall into the offensive trap of the "magical gays" trope (something the original WW Games crew was guilty of to an unprecedented degree) .

>branton dude you should get a blog for all this whining you do

"branton dude" ???

Can you shut up you shitflinging double nigger?

pretty sure that can be a viable build

>there's something inherently wrong (or non-magical) if you're straight, white, etc.

The characters on both covers are cis white people, what the fuck are you talking about

Scion needs rebalancing for its transition INTO 2e.

What evidence do you have that 2e isn't balanced?

The fact that they are using almost the exact same dice mechanic, while not damming, does not bode well for the changes (or lack therof)

Lolwhut. Their dice mechanic is really different. The only similarity is that it's using a pool of d10s count successes. Now you actually get a reward for succeeding, and you get a reward for failing. That's a major change to the base mechanic.

Or maybe you're just retarded.

2e is an entirely different system this time around.

If the redhead on the Scion: Origina cover is Eileen from the preview fiction, then she, as with most characters in OPP fiction, is a lesbian. The story even starts with her waking up with her girlfriend.

kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/scion-2nd-edition-tabletop-rpg/posts/1689871

If the character on the cover is the npc Rhiannon from the preview, she too is a lesbian. Note the reference in her Description about the name of ex-girlfriends on her tattoos.

The other sample npc from the book is Hassan, a definitively emphasized non-white character with the added tweak of included political commentary about the evil Americans in Iraq.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNubWNsYjBPQmdIY2M/view

>eric donner
Real talk, looking at him I've always figured he was trans. Something about him just screeeeeeams, "I'm not straight."

>evil Americans

All Hassan's writeup talks about is the shittiness of the local regime, but feel free to keep reaching.

What does being straight have to do with being trans? You can be both, you know.

Screams, "I'm not a cis white male."*

Fucking knew you'd jump at that.

Hassan's write up implies both the Americans and Iraqis are pretty shitty, and emphasizes how he isn't treated very well once in the USA.

They CLAIM it's an entirely different system. We've heard that song and dance from publishers before.

So far, all we can see firsthand is a core dice mechanic that's identical to the old one, albeit with a successes being counted as 8+ instead of 7+

The only evidence we have that the system is any different is their word.

I dig your headcanon but that doesn't really have any barring on this at all

he was a huge football player in high-school and that doesn't really seem to ME that a "designated female at birth" starting testosterone at a young age could achieve

especially cause he lived with his red neck grandad

Is saying that immigrants are treated like shit really that controversial? You're really trying hard to find something to bitch about.

You can read it in the OP, retard.

You clearly haven't actually read the preview at all, as it's very different from Scion 1e's mechanics

Alternatively, here's your (You)

>The characters on both covers are cis white people, what the fuck are you talking about

Referencing the example characters and those on the covers seems to have proven the earlier user's point and made you look foolish.

Oh man it ain't head canon, I know fuck all about scion, I just looked at him and went. "Either they're post-ftm or pre-mtf."

STOP ARGUING ABOUT STUPID SHIT

POST CHARACTER CONCEPTS OR TALK ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE PANTHEON

ANYTHING, FUCK

>Is saying that immigrants are treated like shit really that controversial?

Actually, yes it is. If you didn't realize that, you need to get out more or at least read a wider range of news and opinion sources

Moreover, if we're such a terrible place for immigrants, why do they try desperately to come in here in such large numbers, and then assimilate and succeed far better than many other nations, including virtually all of Europe?

Loa

I'd like try and pull off a Loa of Abstinence/healer build

...You do realize that we have a massive system preview, right? Go read it and get back to me, retard.

Guys, it's a little different.... a little, but we have no idea if they've fixed the problems until we see the actual implementation of boons/knacks, the character creation system etc... I'm excited too, but mistaking minutia for sweeping game-fixing changes, simply because something is new, is a trap the TTRPG community falls into all too often.

>Are you interested in playing non-Scion characters using [Scion] rules?
No.

>homeland has murderous regime
>violent overthrow of that regime plunges country into absolute bloody chaos
>"hurr why don't they stay there"

I want to go full Ragnarock at some point with my group

No, only of gods. Gilgamesh is more the kind of thing you'd play.

They fixed the two main problems, namely that Purviews stick you with a bunch of pointless powers while Epic Attributes give you lots of stuff, and Epic Dexterity.

that campaign book for 1st edition Ragnorak was pretty cool

The system looks very different.

In fact, Scion 2e looks and feels far too much like FATE for a lot of people.

To be fair, we haven't seen any of the Purviews yet.

Ahanu's callings are Leader, Hunter, Warrior

I'm debating on one of his relics letting him turn in to a were-creature but I don't know

What's your char concepts?

I'm considering a street magician character. Currently thinking Son(or just Chosen) of Odin, for access to the Magic purview. Dunno if I'll stick with that, though, or switch to another god/pantheon. Don't really have enough info on all the pantheons to decide.(I'm partially leaning towards Odin for Wyrd and the connection to Seidr, though, because I'm a fan of fate magic and I'm gay/tend to play gay characters, so I don't give a fuck about it being "girly" magic.)
AFAIK the usual explanation people would go with for a man with Seidr is 'he must take it up the ass!'

I'd be interested in trying it, or at least looking at the possibilities.

I can't wait for someone to try and hit on a hot pre-op amazon, only to get fucked in the ass. The classic revenge story.

That, and basic attributes had the same range of relevance, and you had to hyper-specialize because you'd be super good in your specialty but get BTFO outside of it•

I want to hear a lot more about monotheistic religions and their followers in the new setting.

He's better than a lot of the shit we've been getting in these threads.

I'm gonna be a transgender scion of the african gods and kill all the fucking white cis scum

That's a really interesting take on things, to have a character tackle the Seidr thing head-on and just not give a fuck about it.

All my concepts seem to wind up Netjer, no matter what I try and do otherwise.

But do you ALSO take it up the ass, or are you some kinda fucking top.

>I can't wait for someone to try and hit on a hot pre-op amazon, only to get fucked in the ass. The classic revenge story.

That's a Legend someone will never live down.

*** (the sound of Fate quietly chuckling in the background) ***

jakki please

are you still debating on doing that rock son of anubis

>boko no haram

>He doesn't realize that versatile gays exist

I'm actually a virgin

>Magic purview

???

That's seems a little broad and unbalancingly powerful.

Educated upper-class immigrants like him, treated that shittily by the system? It's controversial because it doesn't really reflect reality. There's racism and things like that in real life, but what's depicted in his character really doesn't line up with the immigrant experience for people of means.

I know all about THOSE kinda gays.

Also I'm sorry user, one day you'll find someone to poz up your neg hole at a bar.

Another idea I had a while back, and just realized I still have the picture for, is a Scion of Balor
I have no idea if there'll actually be any info for Balor, though, so who knows.

It may have actually originally been an idea for a Shadowrun character, but it works just as well for a Scion character.

I got a boner that one episode in Law and Order SVU where the Afghani ambassador called Mariska Haggerty a whore

he's a sand brown person in USA after 9/11

it isn't outside the realm of realism to expect him to not be treated the best