Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

FULL Kaladesh spoiler
>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/kaladesh

Banlist update in 5 hours

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/september-26-2016-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2016-09-26
reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/54jyvl/postmodern_has_begun_hareruya_and_bigmagic_team
youtube.com/watch?v=AULRSOK1KPQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw Splinter Twin unban

Maybe. We're unlikely to get anything tho.

>playing?
>favourite deck?
>brewing?
>next purchase?

>playing?
Grixis Delver

>favourite deck?
Currently Grixis Delver. I enjoy Grixis Control more but it's not good right now.

>brewing?
A good Grixis Control list. Would help if Mind Sculptor gets unbanned obviously.

>next purchase?
None lined up right now. I'll see what happens with the banlist before I make any more purchases. Jace if he's unbanned.

I don't mean to smash your hopes but don't expect pic related to be unbanned. It won't happen.

>>playing?
Sultai midrange and u/w turbofog
>>favourite deck?
Both of them. When sultai goes it just rolls opponents. And nothing is more funny than turbofog dropping turn 2 ruled halo against infect and name their inkmoth/elf that they were banking on
>>brewing?
Nothing
>>next purchase?
Honestly I'm selling out of magic. Im keeping sultai, turbofog and a few edh decks but the cost to play this game is just unrealistic. As well, the stagnation of this game over the past few years has really left me bored with it. A cumulation of only creatures and planeswalkers being pushed, along with the push for greens domination, and the linearization of what each colour combo does, has made this game "solved". You don't see spells that win games, nor ways to combat opponents via the stack or resource attacks. If the only way to play magic is to hit someone with a $50 mythic angel or dragon than I'm out.

Why not build a cube with the more expendable cards you're getting rid of? Like bulk rares and such. That way you can have a final hurrah while having fun with your friends.

Become Immense ban in Modern, Peregrine Drake ban in Pauper, no changes in Legacy even though Miracles needs to get the fuck out of the format, top being the most natural ban besides Counterbalance.

Why isn't vexing devil really used in burn decks besides mono red? At best it seems like 4 damage for R, at worst a 4/3 for R. Is removal really that worrisome?

Theres a TON of removal to deal with it, so your opponent will very likely never have to take 4 damage.

The alternative is that they'll just play a creature to block it.

He has the same problem with other "opponent chooses" cards. They will always what doesn't kill them/easier for them to deal with, so it's almost impossible to beat an opponent when he chooses what you cast.

It's a good idea; however, one of my friends (I know the local judges) has a cube already and his biggest problem is simply finding a group to play it with. We've even gone so far as to make a google doc and, in order, people choose their draft picks openly. Then when it's drafted we make the decks based on choices and go from there.
It's sad that I've become so jaded to the game I've enjoyed so much. Have an l1 and all. It's just not the game I used to play, and until formats that are both accessible (why play legacy if I'm the only one in my regular playgroup of friends that does/can (yeah the judges do but they prefer judge's tower, edh or modern)) and supportive of more than just creature attacks are available.
Sorry to pull down the happiness of the modern general, we all know this is usually the happiest thread in the world

I have a question for Delver folks. How do you set up your deck so you don't have to constantly take your cards out of sleeves and flip them around?

Have 2 sets of delvers. One sleeved face up and a separate one in your box sleeved face down

This or use checklists

So then why does mono red run it? Is it because there's no other real threats the deck could run in its place?

Maybe you just need a break user, you had tons of dedication put in with getting your Judge creds alone. You've put in so much dedication and money that it might start to feel like a job rather than a hobby, and that would kill the fun for anybody

On another note, I've been playing since M13 and even people like me will tell you that things have gotten pretty plateaued in recent years. And I think that's why formats like EDH and pauper continue to gain momentum, because it's a taste of change for most players.

In any case user I hope that whatever path you choose is the right one for you and you alone, and remember that a hobby is to be enjoyed, not employed! Good luck.

Because monored is ass

It will never be the card that wins you the game, unless you're in a situation where literally any other card would also win you the game more reliably.

New topic. What is the worst target/mode choice on a modal spell you've ever seen?

>Playing Affinity
>Board is Pest, Skirge, and 1/1 Ravager, 1 extra land in hand.
>Guy slams down Kommand
>Fuckilose.jpg
>"Shock the Ravager, discard."
>Only time in my life Ive ever asked an opponent "are you sure?"

>Honestly I'm selling out of magic. Im keeping sultai, turbofog and a few edh decks but the cost to play this game is just unrealistic. As well, the stagnation of this game over the past few years has really left me bored with it. A cumulation of only creatures and planeswalkers being pushed, along with the push for greens domination, and the linearization of what each colour combo does, has made this game "solved". You don't see spells that win games, nor ways to combat opponents via the stack or resource attacks. If the only way to play magic is to hit someone with a $50 mythic angel or dragon than I'm out.

Unfortunately the is the explicitly stated design goal, straight from the horse's mouth. Maro thinks Magic players are idiots and that alternate strategies are "feelbad".

What was the life count?

>tfw been playing since slightly before scourge
It really has, which is unfortunate. I can't imagine being a judge and t.o. regularly. I don't plan on totally selling totally out of the game (I constantly interact with people that sold out x times and have pissed thousands away) so I'd like to keep a playset of all my sultai related cards.
I'm also using the money from selling out to build a fairly diverse board game collection. It's nice to have a diverse set of games that I can teach players of any skill level to play, and it prevents them from having to dedicate lots of money to a game.
>In any case user I hope that whatever path you choose is the right one for you and you alone, and remember that a hobby is to be enjoyed, not employed! Good luck.
Thanks man, I do appreciate that. I've made a lot of friends with this game, gone on a lot of road trips to GPs done some pretty ridiculous shit while on them and have made some pretty crazy connections through this (found a guy that is a doctorate student adviser in my field) and I've never really seen this game as a waste. I'll keep trolling these threads because it's always nice to see brews

I think part of the problem is that we have more sets with more frequency but each has less of an impact on the eternal formats. When there used to be two-to-three sets a year, there were a a good percentage of impactful cards in each expansion, it seemed. Now we have five sets a year and the high-impact cards are few and far between.

Fair enough. Naya burn it is then

I don't think every set needs a card that makes a splash in legacy, I think the sole focus on midrange creature swinging is so bad it even hurts Modern.

Monored is for Legacy and Pauper. Modern needs those extra colors.

>If the only way to play magic is to hit someone with a $50 mythic angel or dragon than I'm out.

You do realize that this was true as far back as when JtMS was in Standard.

Did anyone buy cards they're hoping to get unbanned?
Got a playset for like $10, hoping they'll be worth more in a few hours

This
You need at least two colors for burn in Modern due to sideboard options like destructive revelry and path. Monored only exists in goblin tribal and some budget aggro decks

Monored only exists

HOW ABOUT BLACK LOTUS HUH MATE HOW ABOUT THAT YEAH FUCK YOU.

>playing
Affinity, suicide zoo, G/R Tron

>favorite deck
All of them.

>brewing
Nothing

>next purchase
Merfolk

there you go user.

I hope so, still have to buy a playset for Deathblade, and modern fucks up prices royally.

>playing?
Dredge, Titanshift, Ad Nauseam
>favourite deck?
Titanshift, although I'm playing dredge because its broken and no one else in my meta plays it yet. Will switch back if I start catching hate.
>brewing?
????
>next purchase?
Probably an extra set of foothills so I don't have to swap cards between decks. After that I'll probably start on legacy merfolk or elves.

>>legacy merfolk
user, I...

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/september-26-2016-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2016-09-26

Awesome, going to bed. Fuck you wizards

>playing?
Broke Ass Burn and Broke Ass Infect
>favourite deck?
Infect although it might get hit
>brewing?
Broke people don't brew
>next purchase?
Whatever gets unbanned to flip it asap

NO CHANGES CONFIRMED

please continue ignoring your opponent for the next 3 months, happy goldfishing everyone!

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/september-26-2016-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2016-09-26
what a surprise..

OH SHIT, NIGGA

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/september-26-2016-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2016-09-26
THEY DIDN'T BAN DRAKE WTF?
DID THEY FORGET PAUPER WAS A FORMAT WHAT THE HELL?

Enjoy your $10 bookmarks :^)

I bought my playset of SFM in advance since I was planning on starting Legacy anyways and I didn't expect them to drop much even if she didn't get unbanned

No regrets

>Jund
>Jund
>Other stuff in Jund
>More Jund

Not sure if you could tell, but i'd kinda like to get BeeBee back.

Well okay i guess not then.

>No changes

So become immense turns in to a $5 card?

It's time to load up on infect

there is literally no reason not to be playing a deck that consistently kills the opponent on turns two or three, even if they try and interact with you.

Pretty anticlimactic.

>no changes
hehehe

>muh infect boogie man

It's Unfair! It's Unfair! I only want to play magic that conforms to my notion of how the game should be played and what fair is!

Ban SSG!! Ban Inkmoth Nexus! Ban Pendelhaven!!!!!

>this meme again

>No changes to any format.

BBE cucks on suicide watch

hi mike :^)

>Time to load up on infect

Good luck picking up Inkmoths, cunt.
That or just play Jund for truly interactive gameplay.

Don't worry, our time shall rise again. And when it does, you'll regret crossing us.

>No Extended Standard: the Tappening: now with perfect manabases edition for the next three months

Good. GBx is cancer and should stay at it's containment format, aka Standard.

>people unironically thought they'd unban a card that greatly boosts the deck that's already among the best (and most popular) ones in the format

>no sfm unban

That's cool, looks like I get a nice start for legacy dnt

>That's cool, looks like I get a nice start for legacy dnt
hahahaha unles you've got ports, you aint started yet

You're aware that Jund is one of the most popular decks right now? If not the most popular

>Jund
>Best deck in the format

Bruh it's barely in the top 5 right now.

Most popular =/= Best.

Of course the Jundcucks that paid thousands for Goyfs and Lillis will continue to stubbornly play the deck while Dredge, Affinity, Infect, Death's Zoo and other 500$ or less decks continue to cuck them by taking away the top 8's.

reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/54jyvl/postmodern_has_begun_hareruya_and_bigmagic_team

Hey so i saw this on le Reddit... Postmodern, now dubbed "Frontier" is being shipped in Japan and is M15+

How does it feel that Modern will be dead in a couple of years?

user, there would be a metric fuckton more of Jund-esque decks if things like Infect, Affinity or Burn didn't exist. Ultra fast, synergy-driven decks demand respect, and durdling around casting midrange shit is not the best way to combat them.

youtube.com/watch?v=AULRSOK1KPQ

>Modern
>dead

Top kek, poorfags on suicide watch. This shit will fail miserably like 4 year Extended did. It will be basically Standard plus.

That format is immediately dead everywhere outside japan. It's only alive in japan because of the massive size of those stores. They could make vintage look like standard.

>playing?
bogles
>favourite deck?
stompy for it simplicity. Too bad it isn't that competitive.
>brewing?
elves
>next purchase?
heritage druids

They'd start a new format at Origins for a number of reasons.

1. It excludes fetchlands, aka the shuffle
2. It excludes delve, aka dredge 2.0
3. Origins lets them refer to the format as the Gatewatch format

this won't be big until WotC takes notice of it, which may take some time
also I'm not that sure that I want to go into another format dominated by Bant Company

But it starts at M15. We get Khans fetches for sure.

>Dominated by bant company
>Forgets that it's basically Khans/BFZ standard with M15 and shadows block thrown in
>All Hail our Dark Jeskai overlords.
>Origins Jace hits the ceiling again.

For it to hit the ceiling there would need to be demand :^)

Commander and Modern came out because stores started playing them as a small time thing and they just exploded in popularity. I wouldn't underestimate this.

Commander and Modern cardpools include good cards instead of just Gearhulks, Siege Rhinos and nuEldrazis though.

It was obvious that wotc was pushing the following
>Post-Modern
>Modern as paper Legacy
>Legacy and Vintage as online formats

Load up on those duals and fetches, we Frontier now

And it will let them have a lot more control over what goes into the format. If the scariest thing from M15 till now is Fetch Lands and Siege Rhino, Wizards can actively try and prevent infi combo decks from entering the format in the first place.

RIP Legacy fags as their format is replaced by Modern at GPs and Frontier becomes the new Modern.

It'll be a new eternal format with nothing stupidly expensive that people would be easily able to buy into if they have the Khans Fetchlands (Which most people playing Modern do) and that Wizards will have more control over.

I don't think anyone playing Modern is going to buy into Frontier.
One of the main reasons the guy listed for starting this format was because Lili and Goyf are too expensive.
I liked KtK standard. I only lost twice playing Jeskai Black, but I don't see this catching on.

Frontier will go nowhere just like 4 years extended went nowhere. It's a poorfag format and people shilling it are poorfag cucks. Fucking Pauper is cheaper and has more power than Frontier ever will.

"Infi combo" decks and decks built around synergy like Dredge or Infect are what keeps formats from devolving into Midrange: the Tappening, which is what is happening to Standard right now and what will happen to this new format as well.

I get it, but i still think Wizards might just push this because it's easier to control than modern.

But i get you, Although personally i would have liked it to be from Theros block onwards. I miss playing my Whip of Erebos decks, but i can take a blow if it means that they avoid Thoughtseize making Black ultra dominant.

Sounds like somebody's heavily invested into Modern and is scared of Wizards putting their energy into a more stable eternal format

>bant company
>not rhinos

Who would ever want to play super standard when they could play literally any other format?

Thing is, Frontier is going to be pretty cheap to buy into. If you've had the money to sink into Modern, you're probably not too destitute to throw a few dollars at the new format.

This. Right now the only real price walls are Jace and Fetches. Everything else is pretty cheap and a lot of it will probably be viable.

I doubt that guy has that much money invested with Modern. I'm pretty sure he doesn't own any Goyfs or Lili's.
Honestly, he seems like an idiot. He thinks combo decks are the savior of Modern and is forgetting that Rally was one of the most popular decks in KtK standard.

>"Infi combo" decks and decks built around synergy like Dredge or Infect are what keeps formats from devolving into Midrange: the Tappening,

>hating midrange while praising degenerate decks

ISHIGGY

Shhh, it's all right my dear poorfag. Show us where the Tarmogoyf touched you.

>Calls me a poorfag
>Names Tarmogoyf
>Doesn't know i actually play Jund

Yeah alright mate. Not saying that Modern is a bad format, it's fun to play with the more powerful cards, but welcoming a new way to play that isn't super expensive while also being easier to control is always welcome by me.

The only money cards would be Jace, Fetches, CoCo and Chord. Some maniac will probably make a CoCo, Chord, EldEvo deck and win with psuedo-pod.

>pauper has more power
Pauper is very boring to play IRL.

I still have all of the cards from my Jeskai black deck, Nahiri's, and Avacyn's.
If this shit does somehow catch on, I'm already prepared. I don't think it will, though.

>theros getting cucked out of equation

Too bad, there were some cool human cards.

If making another new format, whose purpose is to do exactly what wizards tried to do, without any major changes to how this game works, than frontier will just end up as another modern.

If frontier were to exist than a simple rule of "any card valued above $50 on the secondary market is allowed to be proxied" needs to exist. That actually solves the card cost problem.
It would also force wizards to reprint cards because their largest customer basis (secondary market stores) will scream at them to reprint things.

Also frontier would need to start at something like rtr, it's better lands and more spells/creatures will allow a better format.
And no fucking stupid ban list.
Walk into this format without any bans, adjust accordingly. No preemptive bans and a rotating ban list when bans do happen so that when they don't impact the format anymore they can come off forever.

Is the new conspiracy stuff any good? It looks like its a very expensive oneshot draft that has no replay value~

For the love of God, read the thread names instead of just jumping into one and asking unrelated shit

Standard players please go back to your containment thread if you want a "safe space" for creatures.

You forgot
>new lili
>the lumberjack

>Play Jund
>get blown the fuck out by Bant Eldrazi

have fun paying several thousand dollars to lose.

If WotC does adopt it, they'll probably be relieved they just barely dodged another Thoughtseize format, and Nykthos not making it in.

>Also frontier would need to start at something like rtr, it's better lands and more spells/creatures will allow a better format.
people who want a better format can just go play any other eternal format though. This is specifically for people that enjoy garbage. You know, standard players.