Character Creation Thread

Let's create a character.

Is our character in aFantasy or Sci-fi setting?

Most votes in 20 minutes gets it.

That's boring, how about a 1940s pulp character instead?

I second this, with a twist. The setting is mildly fantasy, with a few fantasy races and maybe some minor magic thrown in.

Thirding this.

Standard magic or eldrich Magic?

Let's go a different route than Lovecraftian horror. Like, the most powerful magic in the setting is long-winded rituals that take hours to cast, and are mostly done by aged wizards for the purposes of scientific research and Industry. The stuff player characters have access to is equivalent to D&D cantrips. Street magic, basically.

Ok, 1940's pulp character, in a mimiamalist magic setting.

What's his race? Human? Non-human? Undead?

What's with the pic?

Near-human. Human base, with a couple of mutations.

A human detective or beat cop partnered to a non-human working one of the more dangerous precincts in a metropolitan area?

Mostly got inspired from this pic. It's not the right era but it gets the feel.

A jaded human who works for a wizard/corporation that needs difficult top obtain reagents from out of country.

Alright, Human it is, with pending sidekick. Magic user or not?

Like said, if we had magic it should be low level. I'm gonna say no just so if the character encounters magic he has no idea how the fuck it works.

Actually, I was going for a "Magic is common, but ultimately the utility of it is quite limited" Unless exorbitant amounts of Time, Effort, and Resources are involved. Like, everyone can cast prestidigitation, but combat spells are basically non-existent, unless they're built into machines.

Oh, so utility spells only.

Then yea, I was just afraid of making super battle Mage who incinerates everything they come across.

How about the duo has no magic wielder and when crazy magic happens that they need to learn about there is someone back in the "lab" who is the smart wizard type

Could be a neat villain in the setting

I actually like this idea where they have someone like that, sort of a Walter Bishop Character, but the MC is basically at Street Magician level. He doesn't have the knowledge, but he's got a few tricks he knows.

What I got from this post was that magic would be like a big computer in the early-mid 20th Century in the sense that people understand generally what they can do, and that they're useful, but really only scholars who dedicate they're lives to it can really use it. Most people are still just laborers or office workers, or laborers who wizards hire to generally keep their supplies stocked, clean up their workspace, etc.

So street magic would basically be like having a cell phone or PDA (without any kind of internet access) in a world with supercomputers.

I'm gonna go mild magic user, street smart, not book smart. The Informant is a great idea.

What's the dynamic between this guy and his partner? Mulder and Scully?

Bootyblasted questfags are in the midst of a Rectal Ragnarok over being sent to /qst/.

The image specifically states that they have no opinion on quests. Seems to me like they just hate the mods and want old Veeky Forums back. I do too for that matter.

People never lie on the Internet? And I am a French Hand Model, bonjour!

I see the term "orignal content" is used loosely here

If Strike Waifus Quest is considered OC I guess this could.

Bryan is a good worker. He drinks too much, stays up too late, and doesn't smile enough. He got to where he is by working hard when he was a young man, and now he's starting to get tired. Brian's thinking an office job might be better for him.

Sarah's heard about Brian's glory days from the water cooler chatter at the base of operations. She's initially thrilled to be working with someone who's got real street experience, until he turns out to be boring.

Bryan doesn't want to talk about his glory days. All they do is remind him of how dumb he used to be- never waiting for backup, following his hunches without evidence- and how he's too old to do that anymore.

That's not to say he doesn't appreciate Sarah's enthusiasm. He occasionally thinks of the man she assumed he was, and goes to bed sober.

Sarah's also learning from him, from his old mistakes. Brian will talk a lot about what to do, even crack jokes about how he learned it the hard way. She looks forward to the breaks in the day when they just get coffee and talk while waiting to meet other officers and people of interest.

I'm thinking more of a slapstick buddy cop vibe

I don't think they had water coolers in the 40s. And nobody drank water unless they were into the temperance movement, it was gin if you were classy, bourbon if you were a tough guy.

So, cynical cop, Hopeful cop? I dig it.

Alright, so he's a cynical bloke, she's his ray of incessang sunshine and hope.

Any other suggestions?

Meanwhile, in PsychoPass

Since he stopped being so reckless he's discovered an aptitude for ritual magic. She annoys him so much because her incessant optimism disturbs his concentration. This leads to hilarious magical backfires.

"Finally, after 7 hours and 59 minutes I'm on the cusp of completing the ritual. All I have to do is stay concentrated for one more..."
"HEY BRYAN! WE'VE GOT A CASE! ISN'T IT EXCITING?"
Bryan leaps three feet into the air and steps on some part of the ritual preparations, releasing the spirit of the murder victim he was trying to contact into the world and the episode is the two of them trying to track it down and send it back to the afterlife. Hilarious B plot ensues when unskilled detective duo has to pick up Sarah and Bryan's case to solve a jewelry store robbery

Bryan is the favoured candidate to be the next captain. The current captain, who has a fovourite successor that is not Bryan, is constantly trying to sabotage Bryan's career. Bryan hardly notices or cares about any if this. Sarah gets constantly upset, not just because she thinks it's unfair, but because she's very career-oriented and this hurts her chances at promotion as well.

The current captain has a daughter/son who is in the force but is mediocre at it and conducts sabotage to get ahead

OP here. If I ran this as a quest, would you guys play it? Sounds like there's enough interest. Of course, that's interest on Veeky Forums, not /qst/. For reference, I used to be the QM for SkullQuest, in case any of you were part of that.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'd be game.

Sure.

Greetings, OP. I see your thread isn't so much about OC as it is collaborative storytelling.

Whatever the case, I hope your quest for a narrative is successful.

as long as you run it like a buddy cop movie

Hell yeah

Sweet. Expect me to have it up by Wednesday, and spread the word to gain a little momentum, /qst/ needs traffic. Anything that anyone else would like to add to the setting?

So are we ditching this idea?
Somebody mentioned the MC learning ritual magic or something which would negate the need for the lab guy. Personally I wanna keep him.

I say leave it up to OP
I'm the guy from so I am partial to my own idea.

OP here. I liked the Street Magician concept best, so I'm going with that. Any suggestions on what system I should use? Savage Worlds might be an option, or I could tweak Risus for it.

Oh, and yes, you will have your forensic wizard expert to deal with. Don't be too surprised if he comes off as a Walter Bishop Character... I loved Fringe.

Seconding on BBEG being a powerful evil Red/Black Mage idea.

Mob boss. Gotta be a mob boss.

Magic adept mob boss with a crew of less skilled but still pretty cool enforcers. Maybe reminiscent of Daud and the whalers

What's their motives & goals?

I should give you all fair warning... all of my BBEGs are Genre-savvy, competent, and tend to be on the Lex Luthor(the well-written version) side of things. You know the Evil Overlord list? He'll likely have memorized the Setting specific version of that.

Eh, how about acting as a shadow government. Pulling strings in order to keep politicians they don't like out of office so that they can go about researching and eventually attempting some crazy ritual magic that would have some terrible consequence for the citizens of the city if it were completed. Some crazy bullshit "summon an old god during a solar eclipse but only if its Tuesday" style plan to sate their lust for power.