What is, in your opinion, a ranger Veeky Forums?

What is, in your opinion, a ranger Veeky Forums?

A closet furfag too afraid to come out to his group.

FIVE TEENAGERS WITH ATTITUDE

A racist.

That thing /k/ likes

>What should a ranger be?
A paladin, but replace "Evil" with "Nature". Working as a guide to help the less informed to combat the trials of the uncivilized world.
>What is a ranger?
A druid who trades spells to hit things well.

Someone who ranges.

They can be a lot of things, but I usually visualize them primarily as wanderers, they've picked up a large variety of skills due to the multitude of work they've done, areas they've lived in, or people they've met. They've probably stolen a few things, spent a few years in the wild surviving, perhaps met a Druid and learned minor nature magic, done some Mercenary scouting work and gotten effective with martial weapons.

You can create a large variety of explanation for Ranger backstories and skillsets, so there's not much point in pinning them down in one particular way.

Magic or no magic?

Someone who is good at tracking, finding food/water and shooting a bow.

What is ranging?

The guy that gets you from point A to point B alive.

I am not sure how it has been so twisted into being bounty hunter/shitty Druid but w/e

Red headed bastard of fighter and rogue that was raised by a druid.

And lifted straight from the google dictionary because I'm a lazy bastard.

(of a person or animal) travel or wander over a wide area.
"patrols ranged deep into enemy territory"
synonyms: roam, rove, traverse, travel, journey, wander, stray, drift, ramble, meander, amble, stroll, traipse, walk, hike, trek, backpack; rareperegrinate
"herdsmen ranged over the steppes"

underpowered

Innawoods guy.

Wow! Mind if I save this?

A person who is accustomed to live in the wilderness and achieved some sort of connection with it. A pragmatist at heart who tries to learn everything that could help them achieve the former. Tend to prioritize things that are simple yet effective, and self-reliant. A ranger should be capable to survive on their own instead of having a clear-cut role on a party (Like a fighter or a rogue would). But still be able to fit a particular role within a group.
A ranger can be:
>A scout (in the "recon soldier" sense)
>A wilderness guide
>An outdoorsman, like a hunter or a woodsman
>A "Big Game" hunter
>A hermit
>A Highwayman or a bandit
>A guardian of the land and nature
>A spy
>A beast tamer or catcher
>A collector of rare ingredients
>A treasure hunter
Among many others

>A person who is accustomed to live in the wilderness and achieved some sort of connection with it. A pragmatist at heart who tries to learn everything that could help them achieve the former. Tend to prioritize things that are simple yet effective, and self-reliant. A ranger should be capable to survive on their own instead of having a clear-cut role on a party (Like a fighter or a rogue would). But still be able to fit a particular role within a group.
Nailed it.

A hunter. Usually member of a guild of rangers in service to the people.

did rangers exist before strider? I mean as a fantasy archetype

because strider doesnt use bows, (much?) and this is an important part of real world wilderness survival

"did [fantasy archetype] exist before tolkien?"

Also dragonlace. Paladins were not a Tolkien thig

cute

you know I only read one dragonlance book, but I remember raistlin and a paladin he was related to being unhappy with each other or something, I was too young to understand what I was reading

did paladins really come from that book series?

because I had already heard about them from D+D, so I didn't know what the origin was

Barbarians existed before Tolkien.

save a dictionary definition? That seems a little silly. Do you think it belongs to anyone?

Honestly, from a gameplay standpoint, they're a lot like Pantheon

When the game starts out, and levels are low, they have a ridiculously early power spike that makes them seem very strong to other classes, especially when combined with spells and abilities. However as the game goes on, other classes simply get better and out scale them in every way, and what they do still provide feels more like a gimmick compared to similar roles

Thematically they're about as similar as black holes and chocolate, but the similar "great early on shit later" is easy to notice

Paladins were a Song of Roland thing. They predate Dragonlance by about 900 years.

Ranger should be turned into a fighter subclass at most.

Although really, I'd rather just have some "outdoorsman" skill-set that any character could pick up.

A military commander specialized in small unit tactics. Originally an 18th Century asynchronous warfare strategy where settlers used their knowledge of hunting and survival to outmaneuver regular military units.

Jack of all trades, he can heal a little, buff a little, he can fight at range or up close, he can tank fairly well if he uses his spells, he can sneak pretty well, he can track, survive in the wild, there should be no situation he's not at least a little prepared for.

nature themed archer. Focus on stealth, tracking and survival.
You can throw some nature/druid spells there too.

Exceptional survivalists in general did, certainly. Tolkien's Rangers were a pretty specific faction and as far as I know that lore hasn't been applied outside of the setting as core ranger stuff.

A good example of a similar group, with similar abilities (outside of the maybe-magic of "The King's hands are healing hands", and such) would be Robin Hood and the Merry Men.

Hm...now that I think about it even Robin Hood is often a survivor of a high lineage brought low, which draws a strong parallel to the Rangers of the North. Add to that a divine right to rule and the "royal touch" laying on of hands and you pretty much get the Dunedain rangers.

Anyways, there are definitely predecessors to Tolkien's Rangers.

A witcher.
-Enhanced physiology
+Archery

>Simple "magic"
>Know something about everything
>Archery
>Skilled duelist
>No "home"
>ded parents
>batman

And if you want something recent, the details of the D&D Paladin come, along with the original lawful-neutral-chaotic alignment scale, straight from Poul Anderson's novel Three Hearts and Three Lions.

It was a fighter subclass in AD&D 1E (and probably 2E too).

A divine caster who pursues a specific type of enemy to the ends of the earth, seeking to right a wrong ancient or recent done unto himself or unto something he holds dear through the absolute destruction of the species responsible. Not quite as religious as a Paladin or a Cleric, not quite as treehumping as a Druid, but still more religious than most others in his own, mercenary way. Usually accompanied by a beast as either company or meatshield, depending on how deep his antisocial streak runs. He doesn't have the Paladin's kavorka, so he has to resort to skulking around to jerk off to the latter's fucking of sorceresses (if good/neutral) or raping said sorceresses when they're having a bath in a nearby waterfall (if evil/devout of Sylvanus). Tots a bow around in spite of not being innately more adroit with it than a dex fighter.

See: Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone.

Frontiersmen/Mountain Men in general.