Post-Modern?

So a pair of prominent Japanese game stores (BigMagic and Hareruya) are going to experiment with a new Magic format: "Frontier", where only card printed in standard sets post M15 will be legal (i.e. cards w/ the new border and font)

what are your thoughts on this new format? do you think it has potential?

I was thinking about starting this up in my play group, as we either play casual or commander, just so it has a more equal playing field.

I would DEFINATELY get into it if my friends will.

>awful removal
>blue is unplayable
Siege Rhino the format.

What's to stop the format from devolving into Rhinos and Co.?

Learn to use the catalog.

Might be fun

Mana would just seem hyper awkward though with 1 set of fetches and 1 set of fastlands

Why are all blue cards so underpowered these days? (Besides the history of blue dominating eternal formats)

Is it that hard to print blue value spells that don't cost 4+?

I've been struck by how terrible my blue cardpool in limited has been at least since theros, if not RtR. MaRo why

So Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time are both legal, but are they good in that format?

They were good in standard. Maybe they won't be banned due to siege rhino.

Heck, maybe siege rhino is the one to get the ban hammer.

There isn't the customary Fetch-Shock landbase, but the Fetch-BfZ-dual landbase is also very strong, and there is nothing to really punish a greedy manabase in any way.

So, instead of just complaining about how "siege rhino and CoCo will ruin the format, how about you try some deck ideas without using those cards?

its a bullshit format

Because anybody with a brain can see that Collected Company is pretty much Bloodbraid Elf. And if this is going to be a toned down version of deeper pool formats, you're going to have to deal with the glaring SPLASHABLE post-wrath value engine that is that card.

Ever heard of pre-banning?

shit format

don't post this garbage ever again

Despite blue being the most "interactive" color or the one with the most mechanics that kind of define mtg, even wotc realizes that denial, disruption, and tempo loss are all unfun as fuck. Mtg is just aping Hearthstone design policy.

>being capable of stopping what an opponent is doing outside of playing bigger creatures than them and stalling the board is unfun

Basically it's Siege Rhino standard all over again.

It's still going to be shit for the same reason Modern is shit; ridiculously overpriced cards, cards everyone needs just for a decent land base, never being properly reprinted.

>denial, disruption, and tempo loss are all unfun as fuck

Denial, disruption and tempo swings are the whole point of Magic. You don't let opponents play their game, and they don't let you play yours. That's interactive. That's fun.

>what are your thoughts on this new format?

It's shit.

>do you think it has potential?

Hell no.

This "postmodern" format has been suggested all over the place under various names, and no one has ever explained WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE PLAY IT when it's basically just Standard with fetchlands and Rhinos. You can just tell that every single match will be Abzan vs. Abzan.

Only "benefit" I see is if you're autistic enough to actually deeply care that every card in your deck has the exact same border.

I'd remove Tarkir block and just do Origins onward, since that's when the new paradigm started.

What paradigm? The two block rotation? Who gives a fuck about rotation in a non-rotating format. What the autists here clearly want is a format where every card with the M15 border is legal. That's a bad idea for various reasons, but leaving M15 out would defeat the point. It's not about anything design-related, its purely the card border.

Nothing, that's why this is a stupid idea. The format should start at Origins to exclude fetchlands, Delve, Meme Rhino, and Company.

>It's not about anything design-related
>its purely the design of the card border.

>Why are all blue cards so underpowered these days? (Besides the history of blue dominating eternal formats)
You don't get to answer your own questions and then say that it totally doesn't count.

I'm calling it now, the only viable decks will be Abzan Rhino and Co., Bant Co., Atarka Burn, Some kind of goblin deck, and Abzan blue.
There might be some Jeskai combo deck that would see some fringe play, but other than that I don't see anything putting up decent results outside the first three.

>Dig
>Treasure Cruise
>Esper Dragons

Think again.

Probably the border marks testing.
We know that they don't test Modern anymore, they might have being testing this new format.

Just play standard? The card pool would be very small, I don't get who would want this kind of format besides for people who started playing with Origins and are afraid of the drop in value of their cards post rotation.

Blue doesn't dominate "the eternal formats" though. It is in ~65% of Legacy decks, but not Modern.

Finally, a non-rotating format for low IQ autists who just want to turn their Craw Wurms sideways. Or, as the kids are calling them these days, Siege Rhinos.

'hareruya have some dead stocks to move' the format.

Inconsistent card frames and keywords (haste/ubss, vigilance/adctctt, create, battlefield, etc.) and foil cards among non-foils make the game board ugly and unnerving.
I understand it is a necessity for the card game to evolve into a more coherent and streamlined product, but it still pains me that wizards is releasing special cards with stupid borders every set from here on out, making the game look like some pokemon-tier card border clusterfuck in probably just a years time.

Literally what are you talking about.

The issue is that Blue has more options in that area than any other colour since Blue is the colour of 'Denial/Disruption/Tempo'.

I think before you start seeing a heap of good mono-blue cards you'll want to start introducing more non-blue mechanics to do so. Right now blue is in a state where it can't stand on it's own but basically everyone wants it because what blue offers, no one else can.

>Blue offers card draw
>Red offers reach
>White offers removal
Seriously this is the only reason any of these THREE colours are taken, so shut the fuck up about blue.

i miss abusing siege rhino in standard: the format

Sounds like standard plus given the small card pool. No thanks. I like high power formats.

>standard: the format
I think you messed up on your memery, fäm

Wow, the autist the guy was talking about turned up.

Nothing.

Won't it just be a temporary fix until some more stupid broken shit comes out?
I can't see how this solves anything.

Wizards are trying real fucking hard to make sure no card they print now can possibly be broken. It's sad really. Remember Griselbrand? Remember how they made his mana cost 8 because Wizards considered that too much mana for a creature to realistically be cast in a game? And now people are playing Ulamog in decks with no ramp. Oh well, all I have left now is about 50EU of stuff on MKM, a Pauper deck, and a Legacy deck I'm looking towards selling.

Legacy is still fun, but the new card formats are mostly beyond saving unless Wizards fires everyone on the design team aside from MaRo and a few others and lets them make the sets they want to play.

>Aside from maro
>The fun police
Maro fuck off,

Eh, the impression I get from MaRo is he genuinely wants to make crazy powerful and weird stuff older players like him love to play with, but is constrained by Wizards to make stuff mostly targeted at casuals. He's a convenient scapegoat, like Matt Ward was all those years ago.

d e d f o r m a t
e
d

t
h
r
e
a
d

>Eh, the impression I get from MaRo is he genuinely wants to make crazy powerful and weird stuff older players like him love to play with
That's why he hates storm, affinity and dredge?

> some Japanese brought back pseudo-Extended
> things we shouldn't care about

>No 4 mana wraths
>No Doom Blade
>No Mana Leak
>No Lightning Strike
What a shitty fucking format.

Rhino and Coco need to be pre-banned.

He defended dredge on his podcast

It does dominate eternal formats, because Modern isn't eternal you dumb fuck.

It's a very bad format, but at least there's this.

No. This is an extremely bad idea. The sets that they're using are definately awful, and it encourages Wizards to print cards at a lower powerlevel in order to satisfy people playing a stupid made up format in japan. Yes I have a lot of useless cards from that time period, no it's not going to be any fun. It's going to make simple things stupidly expensive if it catches on, and really the format is going to be dominated by the same decks that dominate standard, with better utility and less chance for removal.

Please don't push this format, it's just... not good.

Holy shit you're retarded.

MaRo called modern a rotating format, hence splinter/summerbloom ban

They definitely have some sort of retarded plan involving bans to "shake up the format" on a regular basis. Because that's easier than printing new cards.

There is Languish, Ultimate Price, Grasp of Darkness, Lightning Strike some other good stuff.

How is is turning your big monster sideways different to vomiting out your hand turn 3 for the OTK? Both are equally as skillless

One cannot be interacted with, the other bans the cards that can interact with.

I would say sounds neat but it would really just be an extremely powerful KTK format. There's nothing to stop say abzan or dark jeskai from just dominating and being even more strong.

I liked KtK standard, but a lot of people did not.
Jeskai Black getting Nahiri and Avacyn sounds retarded.

I think even Non RL legacy would be better than that

>like Matt Ward was all those years ago.
You clearly did not play WHFB back when.
The man ruined everything he touched.

Game design, not visual design.

>Probably the border marks testing.

The border marks literally nothing. They changed it because they wanted to change it. Just like the last time they changed it. And the time before that. And the time before that.

"Testing" for Magic started before even Alpha was printed.

>Buying an expensive manabase to experience all the worst parts of standard
Why?

no thank you. there's plenty of better formats that aren't so.."angular." is the word I'll use. I mean it could be cool but only after it pilots it's shit storm of balance in my opinion