Heavy Gear General: Skeleton on a mech

Heavy Gear is a game set in the far future based on the planet Terra Nova. The setting is home to a war game, RPG, Video Game, movie, and TV series.
>Website
dp9.com/
>RPG Developer Website
arkritepress.com/
>Books
mega.nz/#F!aMEziYQL!7lUPbf7rKMvwnXuqEvP8zg!bEdzjC4R
Heavy Gear Wiki
>hgwiki.net/Main_Page
1d4chan Page (Needs more stuff)
>1d4chan.org/wiki/Heavy_Gear
Drivethru RPG free rules download
>drivethrurpg.com/product/144759/Heavy-Gear-Blitz-Tabletop-Wargaming--Living-Rulebook

Book order
Heavy Gear 3e PHB
2e Life on Terra Nova
2e Technical Manual

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

store.dp9.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=86&product_id=31
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzrPO7KIAtwVp1UQd_yYVICN6V4LlXn29
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

since I was an idiot and forgot to add it in, Other DP9 games are welcome to be discussed here

If a general doesn't even break 40 posts before it dies maybe it's time to give it a break.

The thread before that lasted about 200+ posts. Just not a huge following of people with DP9 but we are getting more people interested in it. So will continue to shill

*muffled VOTOMS theme playing in the distance*

Yeah. This is the same pattern as the previous runs. It dies down after a few generals. DP9 doesn't have the following or release speed to keep generals alive.

That said, quick question about the system.
Do people find the multiplication for damage a problem? Like a deal breaker when it comes to RPGs. Can't think of many other games that require multiplication during play.

It's not a "deal breaker" for me, but when you get into extra rules that affect the MoS (like the default RoF rules) it can get a little clunky.
Plus I don't see any reason you couldn't get the same idea from a MoS based damage threshold system without multiplication. From what I know about new Blitz it does just that, and last thread an user mentioned working on rules to port the Blitz damage system into the RPG.

>when you get into extra rules that affect the MoS (like the default RoF rules) it can get a little clunky.
Agreed. I simply discard the "add RoF to xDM option" It scales weird with larger weapons and means more multiples to remember.

>last thread an user mentioned working on rules to port the Blitz damage system
That was me. I like the idea of having MoS be more directly applicable without the damage multiplication step in between but I'm trying to work out an equivalent for the MoS + PEN - AR = Damage for characters. Since they have Agility, Build and Armour.

I'm really not that familiar with new Blitz, I'm actually reading up on some stuff as we're talking here, but from what I see I'd actually love to see an RPG built around Blitz's dice system. It'd be like old silhouette or Btech where you could incorporate the wargame directly into the RPG.

But anyway, how does defending work in Blitz? I see attacking is 2+mods d6 compare to skill, take highest die face and add successes from other dice for check total. Is the only defense in Blitz armor and stacking penalties to the opponent's attack roll?

I wanna help you brainstorm but I'm literally just now learning Blitz. And since I'm at work I'm kind of going back and forth looking at quick explanations on the Internet and this thread on my downtime, but want to keep this thread alive until I can get home and really sit down and read the core rules.

basically if you roll higher and have a higher number of defense than the attack you do not get hit. The armor is soak

Ok, I see now. Well obviously Agility is used for Defense tests, yes? Then armor should function just like gear armor and build like gear DC, yes? I don't see why you couldn't just use the formula straight, then. Maybe some kind of wounded status for characters that are hit but not critically wounded?

I wanna know where I can get that mini user.

That's a model kit, a big resin kit. I don't think they make it anymore but you might find it googling "kodiak garage kit."

store.dp9.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=86&product_id=31

yesssss

well being crippled in blitz gives you the state of you lose 1 dice to your throws always.

Gears also lose the ability to move at top speed and get a penalty to detection, infantry only don't get those because it's assumed there are some uninjured squaddies to pick up that slack.

If we're talking single character scale, maybe split character HP into Vitality/Wounds like Gears have Hull/Structure. Damage comes from Vit first, when Vit runs out you're "Wounded" and get -1d6 to checks, can't move at whatever top speed is called for characters (running speed?), and get a penalty to perception (detection) range?

Then when Wounds run out you're dead.

I've never seen that before, but that's super helpful. I was wondering how the pilot sits in the bigger gears.

I know in Striders they generally sit more like a helecopter crew, if they have more than one operator that is.

Can someone briefly describe Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles and what each system has going for it? All I know is that they're not as crunchy as Mekton Zeta

They're not BattleTech.

Also, they're from Canada.

Do you want RPG or miniatures?

RPG

Mechanically they're very similar if I remember.

Themeatically rather different. Heavy Gear is much more real robot, where the mechs are smaller(average is about 14 feet tall) and fill a role somewhere between infantry and a light vehicle. It's also land based.

Jovian Chronicles is soace fun times and similar to Gundam. Mechs are far bigger(someone posted a picture last thread showing the size difference between and Gear and an Exo) and tech is more advanced.

I haven't played Mekton(although I did back the Mekton Zero Kickstarter and am still waiting for them to finish the damned book), so can't compare it there. The old RPGs, in my opinion, had way too many skills and attributes to keep track of, but then it's possible I'm just dumb. I also don't care for the multiplication for damage, especially with the new, slicker, combat resolution the new version of Heavy Gear Blitz(the minis game) uses.

I'm sure others more versed can go into more details.

>and fill a role somewhere between infantry and tanks

Fixed

>I was wondering how the pilot sits in the bigger gears.
I know most gears have the pilot's head in the gears head area. I think a few like the Razorback are different with a smaller sensor turret.

>Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles
System is the same for both. Silhouette system. Fairly fast, skill-based system. Generally regarded as fairly lethal for personal combat. Uses a threshold system instead of hit points, so if an attack deals enough damage you take a flesh wound or deep wound, or possibly even die instantly if the attack was powerful enough.

Heavy Gear is not-VOTOMS while Jovian Chronicles is not-Gundam. Though that sells both setting short as they are pretty detailed with a lot of love put into both.

Well there's stuff between those two. I feel like Striders fit between Gear and tank.

Yeah, I just wasn't sure if the larger Gears did the whole pilot head in Gear head thing. I figured maybe being bigger they didn't.

>I also don't care for the multiplication for damage, especially with the new, slicker, combat resolution the new version of Heavy Gear Blitz(the minis game) uses.
You seem more familiar with the Blitz damage. Do you know how you would convert between personal scale and vehicle using that damage system? That was always one nice thing about the older rpgs and wargame was the ease of conversion.

So giving Blitz RPG a go. I'm trying a system where you basically divide the old xDM by 10 to get the new damage rating. So pistols end up around 1 or 2, rifles/LMGs around 3 etc. Strictly speaking we would get 8 for a LAC but we can fudge that since we have a new value for it. Might be a bit weird cause with a good 5 or 6 a pistol could damage a gear.

I think they do it just for convenience, I know that most gears can pop the sensor panel of the sensors get damaged and the pilot can look out the face, leaving them slightly protected by the rest of the gear's head. On gears like the Razorback, where the Gear's head is a small sensor pod forward of the space for the pilot's head (giving it a somewhat hunchbacked look) this is impossible, so if the sensors go out the whole cockpit hatch has to be opened or the pilot is just completely blind. The trade off, though, is that a headshot won't kill the pilot in a Razorback.

I think the x10 scale modifier might still work. Small arms won't be able to damage gears and gear weapons will turn personel into a red mist, and you can use weapon traits to signify anti-vehicle weapons without going too crazy with damage on big guns.

NewBlitz already gives us a damage rating of 2-4 for machine guns which are used as regular infantry weapons. So x10 probably won't fit anymore.

1) What kind of machine guns? A "machine gun" is a much bigger weapon than an assault rifle.

2) are there any other special rules regarding infantry attacks vs gears?

3) is this infantry unit damage representative of a whole squad coordinating fire? From the summaries I've seen every other rule regarding infantry indicates their tabletop stats are abstract representations of squad coordination.

How about doubling/halving? Seems like it comes up with clean numbers. If machineguns do 2-4 on vehicle scale then they do 4-8 on character scale.

1. Previously they have been 7-8 mm machine guns.
2. I don't think so. Only special rules for being attacked.
3. Could be true. That said snipers use PEN 5 sniper rifles, and those are probably not combined fire of any kind.

In any case I think the Blitz numbers may not leave enough room at the bottom for interesting RPG work.

>How about doubling/halving? Seems like it comes up with clean numbers. If machineguns do 2-4 on vehicle scale then they do 4-8 on character scale.
Might work, but then it kind of skews the impact of MoS relative to the weapon's damage. As in MoS would be worth more on the vehicle scale than the character scale.

How about make an "anti-vehicle" weapon trait that lets character scale weapons damage normally on vehicle scale?

So, said machineguns do 2-4 damage on character scale, 1-2 damage on vehicle scale, and if they use special anti-vehicle ammo (which you can assume the Blitz infantry models are using by default), they do 2-4 damage on BOTH character and vehicle scale?

>That said snipers use PEN 5 sniper rifles, and those are probably not combined fire of any kind.
Those are also Infantry Support Weapons (*IS) and not Infantry Weapons (*IW), meaning they're not just scoped rifles, but big mother fucking anti-vehicle rifles like pic related.

One thing that should be considered is that the Blitz war game should be considered "vehicle scale." Therefore all the infantry stats should be considered their "vehicle scale" stats, weapon damage is Vehicle scale damage, armor is vehicle scale armor, and H/S is vehicle scale H/S.

For H/S: Infantry models in Blitz war game are also always squads (3 models/base[?], H/S: 2/2), or Teams (2 models/base[?], H/S: 2/0), which is clearly an abstraction of some kind. If there's anything we can take from it is that a single nameless NPC soldier has roughly 1 Hull in vehicle scale.

Now looking at just the weapons: Most infantry have LIWs, which are Light Infantry Weapons. If we look at the various different kinds of squads, we see that infantry weapons are ABSTRACTED: Only special weapons are either Support weapons or Heavy IWs, and usually come with special traits, models with normal assault rifles appear to be LIGHT infantry weapons at BEST (2 base damage at vehicle scale), GRELs have HIWs but those are big motherfucking heavy assault rifles made for vat-grown genetic super soldiers and shouldn't even be considered "normal" in any way, Black Talons appear to be the only infantry with MIWs as regular weapons, and they're fucking Black Talons so we can probably infer they're using some kind of special advanced assault weapons.

Continued:

This all means we can probably infer that most character scale weapons probably wouldn't even register at vehicle scale, and military assault rifles come in at best as Light infantry weapons, and what would on character scale be special, HEAVY weapons are Medium and Heavy Infantry Weapons or Infantry Support at vehicle scale.

I think the double/halving rule is fine. It would mean a character scale 7mm assault rifle does about 4 damage base, with heavy weapons like 12mm rifles, grenade launchers, medium SAWs, various other crew-served weapons, ect doing 6-8 damage, and very heavy weapons like, say, a 20mm anti-material sniper rifle, or a .50cal machine gun doing 6-10 damage at character scale.

>As in MoS would be worth more on the vehicle scale than the character scale.
Don't multiply MoS, just the base weapon damage.

Im not familiar with nu-blitz but I personally have never had trouble with the old way of doing damage either.

Another thing, in HG3e a medium flask vest/suit (armor 25-30) was enough to equal the damage of a 7mm assault rifle (dam x25-x28 depending on the make and model). Most infantry models in Blitz beta have 2 armor, the same as the 2 PEN of a LIW. So if in old HG Medium Flak's baseline protection was equal to a 7mm assault rifle's baseline damage, and Blitz's infantry are likely equipped with Medium Flak (it being the baseline armor for infantry since forever, as well), and most of Blitz's infantry have armor equal to the baseline damage of a LIW, we can infer in Blitz RP Medium Flak armor should provide 4 Armor to a 7mm Assault Rifle's 4 damage.

To convert old RPG equipment it'd probably be better to work along that baseline than trying to use some formula to convert directly. Just the fact you're going from a multiplier to a flat number kind of messes up that math anyway. But using the 7mm AS = 4 PEN baseline, then light and medium pistols/SMGs do about 1-2 PEN, heavy pistols/SMGs do about 3 PEN, sniper rifles do 4-5+ PEN (a lot actually kind of fit the /10 round to nearest whole idea). Things get kind of wonky when you get into heavy weapons, but I think that can be cleaned up with special weapon properties instead of dicking around with PEN values.

Armor looks like it'd fit neatly with Light Flak Vest/Suit being about 1 and 2 AR respectively, Medium Flak Vest/Suit being about 3 and 4 AR, but Heavy Flak and Turtleshell gets a little wonky probably being in the 6-10+ range, but Heavy Flak Suits and Turtleshell armor were always "that is fucking bullshit" strong (Turtleshell's base armor was fucking 60).

Though thinking about it, since MoS works differently in Blitz Beta, you might even want to add 1 to all the ARs to roughly equal the fact that armor in Sil could neutralize an MoS 1 attack from a weapon with equal or less DM.

Clunky is exactly how I'd describe it. I liked it because it was unique, nothing I've ever seen has been quite like that, but it was strange. Usually rules choice is for either balance, realism simulation, or ease of use, and it doesn't fell like it accomplishes any of those.

New blitz is way simpler, to break it down...

Attacked rolls V defender (Gunnery V piloting), both rolling 2d6 base with modifiers (a MAC at ideal range rolls 4d6, a heavy rotary cannon [previously VHAC, now HRC] rolls 6d6 at optimal while stationary, cover adds defence dice, etc). Skills are a goal number (A spitting cobra is gunnery 3+), and every success adds 1 to your roll. MOS is added to damage of the gun, armor subtracted out, then any special rules applied (armor pen lowers armor but doesn't strictly add damage), and viola! Damage points.

SO, for example: VHAC spitting cobra fires at hunter. Cobra rolls 1, 2, 3, 3 5 and 5. 5is highest, but there are 3 other successes (3, 3, 5) so now he has an 8. Hunter was in the open because derp, but was top speed, so 3d6 against his piloting (4+ iirc). Hunter rolls 3, 4 and 4, so gets a 5. MOS is 3.

HRC is dmg 8, becoming 11 after MOS bonus. Hunter is armor 6, so takes 5 points of damage. It's not dead, but it just got the ever loving shit kicked out of it, stripping all it's armor and tearing up it's guts. 1 more point of damage will kill it.

Very light models like cheetahs have 4 arm, troopers have between 5 and 7 arm, big boys have 8 or 9. Tanks might have 12 or 13. It all might sound confusing but god is it so much easier.

>New blitz is way simpler, to break it down...
It's good that Heavy Gear is getting a system more suitable for a wargame. Blitz! always had the problem that it was half RPG rules and then attempted to play much bigger battles with those rules. Though I have to admit the two separate resolution methods threw me for a bit. Plus the new system is like a mix of Silhouette and Storyteller with how it determines rolls.

I found RPG rules work fine, but they aren't intended for anything like the scale Blitz aimed for.

>Karaq Wastes

The exiles called, they said you can keep the stupid desert.

You know HG came out 5 years before Homeworld, right?

I wish I could play my Ashantite EW operator again. I actually got her canonized as a Black Talon combat group leader, but nobody I knew played HG any more and I drifted apart from the community. What a shame.

Karaq is a name of a village in Iran, actually.

This reminds me; Peace River is shaped like a giant peace symbol and is home to the largest weapons manufacturer on Terra Nova?
What, do they not have IRONY on that planet or something?

Paxton Arms actually started out as Paxton Mining according to the fluff and the city was still called Peace River.
It didn't diversify into the arms trade until much later, after it's fairly benevolent and idealistic founder's death.

Would love a Heavy Gear strategy game by those guys.
>Engage enemy gear squad
>"We caught 'em napping"
>"This is cakewalk"
>"This is cakewalk"

The Defense Skill is Piloting. So when the other guy rolls to attack you roll piloting to defend. Simple enough. Armor is the second line of defense. The first is piloting your machine away from the danger.

>Ashantite
Sluuuuuuuts.....

>Plus I don't see any reason you couldn't get the same idea from a MoS based damage threshold system without multiplication.
Wonder if rather than hitpoints something like below could work. Avoid multiplication but without using NewBlitz hitpoint system.

1 = Superficial wound/Superficial Damage
2-3 = Flesh Wound/Light Damage
4-5 = Deep Wound/Heavy Damage
6+ = Instant Kill/Overkill

It got nuked too (antimatter bomb, but eh).

Also: si vis pacem, para bellum.

Yeah, I milked the slut angle for all it was worth. I did make sure she did her job, though, and I figured having a half-naked radio operator shake her ass for the pilots coming back in from the field was a nice morale booster.

If they just made a hex-based game with the RPG rules (automated by an engine) and animated sprites/3d models, I'm pretty sure they could make a mint.

The only thing I miss about the new blitz rules is that electronic warfare isn't as comprehensive. Previous edition it seemed way more intense, with blockign airstrikes and lock ons and stuff. This edition it still does all that, but the simplification of it and the general improvement to direct fire weaponry on top of the nature of 'combat group-support group' means taking a dedicated recon squad is probably a thing of the past.

THe unit compositio system is really cool, too, but they REALLY REALLY dropped the ball. Like. bowling ball on an infant. I'm a wargamer and number cruncher at heart but this shit is seriously overwhelming. It's like... Separated by chassis, then tells you in that profile what each variant can be in (example being regular jager can be in general, strike, fire support, almost anything, but an ATM jager is FS and strike only), which is awesome conceptually, but it sucks trying to build a unit and having to flip through like 8 pages just to compare what you have available, points costs, etc. It would have been so, so much better IMHO if they had a "general purpose" page, a "recon" page and so on. As it stands, for the south, military police units actually have their own page, which really puzzled me at first since I was looking in the mamba and iguana tab for them.

I liked the entire EW layer, but it probably was too complex.

So did I, I think they just simplified it to keep it in line with the new rules set. It didn't lose much and, honestly, I'm probably just being overly nostalgic. I was a huge fan of iguanas...

Black Mambas were badass; IMO the best advanced trooper gears if you discounted the glass backs.

Iggies were always discount Black Mambas to me, though one of my RPG characters piloted a Loudmouth Chatterbox and used it in peacetime to run a TN-wide radio show.

But I liked Dartjagers best. High ground speed + Improved Offroad made for a hell of a racer. I called mine Binky because it could go anywhere.

Oh yeah, I always loved mambas. I mean, all the southern gears were just awesome. Iguana's were great at EW and half decent in a fight, unlike the northern counterparts made of paper.
One V one mamba's always seemed to shitstomp jaguars because jags were just too general but mambas are perfect: tough, fast and savage as long as they don't get flanked (which, hey, thats why you have other units).
Cobra's are cobras. Whats not to like?
And sidewinders. Mmm. Loved having one in every GP squad. I never got to use one, but I did like the idea of Gila's, too. a HAC on a scout? MMmmm.

It just seemed like the southern gears were more specific and capable at their roles than other faction gears, and i liked that.

literally the only thing i don't like is the mamba head, which I converted to look like a cobra head with ease.

how does the new blizt damage resolution works.

i dont mind multiplication and i like how it feels mechanically for calculating wounds and stuff.

on the RPG characters had a stamina stat. a weapons damage was multiplied to calculate total damage and compared to the folowing values.

STA/2+Armor=light wound
STA+Armor= deep wound
STA*2+Armor=Instant Kill

i like how personal armor was just additive making it more likely to help against light wounds but less against Instant kills.

I also liked how easy was to set armor deterioration by substracting the value of the armor.

and mechanical was just the same but with a big Armor value and no Stamina.

I really liked the math behind that design.

can anyone go into detail how this compares to blitz?

Damn, Cobras. Brings back memories. I take my previous statement back; Darts competed with Spits for my favorite Gear.

Also, aren't the Northern EW Gears Cheetahs, i.e. 2fast2furious (literally; they're the only canon Gear in the game with a +2 Maneuver rating, and then you have the Strike Cheetah variant...)

I dont like how this looks like hitpoints. i liked that in the silcore if you tracked something its because it had an inmediate effect on the gameplay.

Cheetahs and ferrets (buttwheels!), both of which were made of tissue paper and carried blowdryers for guns. IIRC, last edition, against iguanas, they couldn't win electronic warfare or a firefight, but would win a race.
I have a soft spot for Black Talon Eagles too. My intro to the game was with a pod squad who let me play asingle eagle versus a squad of hunters to teach me all the game mechanics. Then reversed the roles, making for a SERIOUSLY cool experience trying to flank this deathbot.

seelong story short its gunnery V piloting, MOS added to gun damage. Modified damage has armor subtracted.
Gears have 2 damage numbers, presented x/x, typical sturdy gears are 4/2. After 4 damage, it's crippled and has penalties. After the other 2 damage, it's wrecked.

Ah, Ferrets, the most adorable Gears on the planet. I didn't pay too much attention to Cheetahs or Iggies so I don't know their respective strengths, but yeah, the DPG they carry is basically more useful thrown than fired.

And it seems your Pod Squad was better than me; I fucked up my first and only experience trying to teach others the game. It ashames me to recall it.

Oh my god, he was a total sperg. Jagerwolf. He frequents a convention I have been going to for years, and I stumbled into him.
Year one, i was curious but he came on too hard and I was turned off by the car-salesmanness.
Year two, I gave the demo a shot and ended up buying a south fire support squad off him at retail.
Year three I brought an actual painted army to play against him and he fucking roflstomped me because I didn't know the new rules "field manual' came out. I still remmeber how pumped he was to play a full game, and despite wrecking me, explained as he went and helped me make no stupid decisions. Still wrecked me, but god damn was he pumped. That was the year I met the podder Ghostrider, who I guess worked with DP9? Or for? For a while? I ended up converting some models for him, bobcats and mammoths. Fun stuff.

I haven't seen him since, because I started selling at this con. Kinda sad, but I don't have time to hunt him down anymore...

HG is a small community, he probably wanted to add more people. It's hell having thousands of bucks worth of minis and nobody to play them with.

Mechanically id say they are the same system. they are 2 diferent settings with 2 diferent stats.

Heavy Gear is more realistic on its vehicles but it has FTL and less realistic spaceships. mechs are smaller, and it takes place in a mostly desert planet where north and south fight for controll of the desert´s resources untill earth comes back to take on the colonies. (Titanfall has a similar story) there are other planets but the main focus is Terra nova.

Jovian Chronicles is a setting more realistic on space travel and ships, gravity is generated by centrifuge and down is defined by the ships trust. the big ships are reminicent of babylon 5. jovians conflict its about an independence war as the colonies fought for independence after earths economy colapsed for a few years. this gave origin to diferent factions in the solar system. and the mecha are basically not-gundams.

both settings are good reads if you are into well tought out settings. and they cover just enough for you to fill the blanks with your own creativity.

Oh totally. Once I got to know him, I knew he was passionate about the game and just wanted more players to join him. I remember when I came to his table and started unpacking jagers and cobras, he just about lost his shit. Someone made a jab at him playfully and, with a laugh, he responded "Dude, I've been waiting years for someone to bring an army."

Wrecked, yes, but it was fun. I'm hoping to be economically stable enough that one day soon I could go to some of the big wargaming cons. I know Jagerwolf goes to templecon, and I'd love to play him on more even footing now.

Well, if you were in Singapore I might actually start painting up my Black Talons...

Well, there's still an effect. The Hull, the first number in the vehicle's damage, work pretty much like the extra armor boxes from Blitz, the ones that were labeled as "S", in that you don't really lose anything for those being blown off immediately other than being closer to the danger zone. But once all your Hull has been blown off you are considered Critically Damaged and lose one D6 from all skill rolls, can't go top speed, etc. while you're running around at just your Structure damage remaining.

and different vehicles have Hull/ Structure in different amounts, like a Jager has 4/2 while an Iguana is 3/3

It's not as in depths as the Light, Heavy, or Critical damage system previously, yeah, but I think it works pretty well.

So, out of Curiosity has anyone used Silcore to stat out Mobile suits?

Well, I'm kinda lucky on that front. I'm a New Yorker, so I'm close to the homeland of HGB. That's the only reason I think I've met a WHOLE two other players. One who was easily in his sixties...

A shame, but I think this kickstarter and excellent plastic kits might help them survive in a FLGS scenario, though unlike most thriving wargames, Blitz seems to have most of its bases covered in models. Nucoal was a cool addition, but it seems like for a mini's game to survive, it needs to have a semi constant flow of models...

What talons do you have? I typically ran, what was it, an interdiction squad? 4 eagles, and an owl, with a heavy fire support naga to back them up. It was a fun list.

does anyone have any tips on giving demos for the tabletop game?

I had a full 2000 point army, basically an excuse to order one of every single Talon model.

It was semi-RP in that I was building it to model an entire BT combat group. But I lost interest in painting them up.

Something like what suggested would be good. One stronk Gear vs 2-3 weak ones, then reverse the situation. Try to show all the various elements and shit.

where abouts in new york are you user as Im also a filthy yankee.

Upstate. North of albany. Nearest FLGS i know of are Zombie planet and Dirty goblin.

Yeah, I did that for awhile actually.

Hmm... do you think 2 or 3 CEF combat frames vs a King Cobra would work? Or possible a Blazing Mamba?

My options are currently limited until I can get more painted, since I'm trying to just use my painted stuff for demos because no one wants to do a demo with a bunch of unpainted metal

Honestly, no. Part of what makes the talons so beast is multiple actions a turn on top of literally the best gear in the game. DO you have any MHTs for your CEF? One of those versus a handful or mambas or four or five jagers would be pretty good, but still not ideal because, well, low end guns have more trouble cracking a tank than a talon.

I do have MHTs, and some LHTs, just not painted yet.
Also, the King Cobra does have 2 actions and a Skill Point

The HG universe has plenty of irony. Just ask the planets Utopia and Eden...

But it's slow and has a terrible piloting skill. Maybe the field armor buff would help it, but still. It feels a bit off to me as a comparison. I suppose you should just try it out a few times and see how it works out? I mean, the King just tears shit apart, I'm just concerned that 3 frames would be too many and 2 frames would be too few, and neither really shows off the difference between a big badass model and troopers imho. Frames start with pretty solid weaponry and mid points cost.

Maybe a Naga versus 3 frames, or a king versus 3 or 4 hunters/jagers? That seems like it'd get the idea across while offering one player a high end murderbot and the other actual flanking and tactical knowledge. I feel like the best example for this is basic grunts versus something savage, for the reference of high end low end, and to showcase what each type of model can do (sure, a king can shred gears like hendrix shreds guitar, but 4 jagers could theoretically outflank him, target lock for each other, etc mob tactics)

First make sure the FLGS you are playing at can order DP9 products. If they can't they won't be too hot on you giving demos there. After all unless they charge a table fee like a pool hall does, they aren't going to be happy if your getting people hyped up about a game they can't stock.

2. Paint your shit! If you paint your SRA green that's fine, but remember that the new players need to be able to look at them and see two distinct factions in color.
3. Bring a small simple force for each of the 4 main factions (North, South, CEF, Caprice). I'd recommend something like 4 Hunter/Jager with 2 Mamba/Jaguar. This will give your new player a good taste without over loading them quickly.
4. Bring stat cards for easy reference. and make sure your gears are clearly labeled for easy identification. Things like paining a number probably a roman numeral on the base will help the new player.
5. If you are the new players opponent don't go WAAC! For the Love of Gaming don't go WAAC.
6. Take the time to explain the basic rules to them before you start actual play so it doesn't feel overwhelming. After they finished their first game, explain that you did the basics. Show them the rulebook, and don't be afraid to have some post-its sticking on on some things like "EW" and say that the game is simple to learn, but offers a lot of variation and changing out a gear for somenting else can change everything. Let them see your collection, as you explain why you might put an IGGY in there.
7. Close the sale. After they tried the demo (or two, or three, probably trying to find the faction they like best) ask them if they would like to start off small, but functional. A GP squad, and an attachment. Maybe something like a pair of spitting cobras.
8. Support the Sale. Introduce them to others in the area who play.

someone was asking for some bat reps, so here is some I found. Only three so far but he does a decent job doing them

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzrPO7KIAtwVp1UQd_yYVICN6V4LlXn29

mine, are Mind Games and Read the Story; play the game. I'm up by Syracuse sadly.

which ones did you stat?

Yeah, that'd be like a two hour drive, sadly. can't easily plan that heavy gear make out party...

By the way, never actually said this, but nice painting. Crisp. Any chance of some shots of that spitting cobra?

That's basically what Exos in Jovian Chronicles are.

Thank you. I'm currently at work, so I can't I post any pics yet, but I can when I get home.

And actually that's a blazing mamba, I haven't gotten around to building my spitting cobras just yet

I always loved Weasels. Retarded high detect so they could spot through anything and massive ECM rating so they could shut down any normal unit's targeting with ease.

Plus they're based on the Ferret chassis.

New plastics, I take it? I haven't built many of mine yet. Gonna make a few flamm cobra's and jagers, though. Maybe an mp mamba or two. I still have a shitload of unbuilt pewter south...

I see it as a mamba now. Angle is just right that i missed its face shape.

>and then you have the Strike Cheetah variant
DP9 admitted "yeah Strike Cheetahs were bullshit". That armour, plus +2 manoeuvre rating and enough SMS speed to reach the +1 band on open ground was rough.

I gather the high Man gears aren't so untouchable in NewBlitz though.

>Just ask the planets Utopia and Eden...
Eden at least was named that before they went and fucked it up. It used to be nice I hear. Actually reading Utopia's background it sounds similar.

I always had a soft spot for this universe as well. Pic is not my collection, though I do have almost every book back at home (and nearly every JC book).

what is tribe 8?

>Terra Nova is the original Portuguese name for the land which would later become Canada
>80% of the cities share their names with a Canadian city, township, or location like a national, legislative or municipal park

Went a little heavy on their references

Post-apocalypse fantasy/horror RPG.

>Went a little heavy on their references
>Tribe 8
>Vimary is Montreal Island
>Capal, the City of Hate (the stronghold of the Beasts) is Quebec City cause fuck those guys.